XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo/xcom Soldier Stats Problem

VPR

Just wondering if this happens to everyone else. In both games my soldiers reach 81 time units and then stop improving despite racking up further kills, is this normal?

Just seems weird to me as the stats pages for the soldiers displays up to 160 units max for each stat, do I need to do something to break this limit or can it only be fixed by using an editor?

81 is natural limit for them, it would be weird if average soldier was moving faster than flying tank. ;) I guess stats page displays up to 160 units for each stat because some aliens actually reach it. (Like Chryssalids incredible TUs). I'm not sure but I think you can try XComUtil to change your soldiers' skills. (Even exceeding the limit.) Edited by Extralucas

I don't think XComutil can do that. You'd need a stat editor such as the one in the CWD editor suit.

It's doesn't stop at 160. It can go all the way up to 255. However, after that, it'll wrap back around 0. To stop this, the programmers put in caps for all your stats. These caps aren't in earlier version of X-Com, so the wrap around can happen in them. It also means an early retirement for most of your veteran soldiers.

The caps aren't too bad, really. 80 TUs is actually quite a lot for a human. If you walk in a straight line, it'll let you travel 20 tiles. That's 1/2 the distance of a 4x4 module map, 2/5 a 5x5 map, or 1/3 of a 6x6 map (each module is 10x10 squares in size). That's very fast. You only need 2 - 3 turns walking constantly to go from one end to the other.

- NKF

I'll not bother editing as I'd prefer to stay within the limits of the game ^_^

I do think it would have been better though if soldiers had varying limits to time units as it'd add an extra personal touch to the game if one soldier peaked at 81 TU and another at 85 for example, but that's just me :D

Like NKF said I find 80 odd time units enough for the distance you can travel without holding back units for reaction fire, so it's not much of a problem tbh.

• 10 months later...
I don't remember which version I was playing, but at one point a few of my veterans had well over 100TU, with the fastest having something around 170. I haven't managed to replicate that feat with the CE version, so it was probably a bug in one of the older versions.

• 2 years later...
Time units limitation is 80, Stamina is 100, and for strength it's 70. Shooting accuracy I believe is 120, and MC skill limitation is 100. Now for example, say if your aquanaut has 79 time units, then in the next mission he can still improve. Maybe he will gain 2 time units, then that will make him 81 TU. But if he's already at >=80, then he will no longer be able to improve. MC skill though can still be improved little by little with the monthly MC training, however the gain will be very small when MC skill is high, so it pretty much stops effectively after 100.