9 replies to this topic

#1 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hi all,

We have been working hard on the project plan, along with CTD and PRG guys. Special thanks to Mad and Dteviot for their hard work over the tasks definition that serves the purpose of defining the layout of this project plan (that it isnt finished yet, but it was a great help).

Well you can view it with Microsoft Project and grab the latest version from here: http://svn.projectxe..... Planning.mpp

I will see if I can extract it to a jpg if posible so everyone can take a look. We can say that we are starting a new phase into Xenocide development with a clear view on what things have to be done.

Greetings
Red Knight
Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#2 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

Well definitely not the best way to show the information (I prefer the gantt chart version but anyways), but the only way I could export it. If someone knows from a better way, just let me know :)

Xenocide Planning in HTML

EDIT: Added more information, plus notes.

Greetings
Red Knight

Edited by red knight, 24 March 2006 - 07:00 PM.

Posted Image

#3 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

Xenocide  9 days?

hehehe. I'll put that on my calendar!

I have some comments on the art side.

And for the 'deployment' phase of the animated models, rigging and animating will take a good chunk of the time required to deploy the model, not to mention material scripting. You may use some of the same biped animations for some aliens, but I don't see animations as a very reusable asset. Rigging is a terrible headache to the uninitiated, and a tedious task to even experienced modellers. Keyframe animating is also a bit of a headache. Bear this in mind when you are categorically 'dividing the labour', so to speak. I would suggest drawing an expert from each camp to help you flesh out the list in more detail.

In general, I've heard that MPP is a little strange to use when for software development. Reasons include things like, if you have 4 days or greater on a programming task, you're being too vague on what the task entails. Consequently, people spend more time on the task definitions than they do on the actual work (this sounds like something I would do). These are obviously critiques regarding its usefulness in an industrial software development environment, though.

It is nice to have such a list, though. It looks like a lot of work!

Edited by fux0r666, 24 March 2006 - 07:14 PM.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#4 dteviot

dteviot

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hi all,

We have been working hard on the project plan, along with CTD and PRG guys. Special thanks to Mad and Dteviot for their hard work over the tasks definition that serves the purpose of defining the layout of this project plan (that it isnt finished yet, but it was a great help).

I'd also like to thank Azrael, Guyver and everyone else who helped with the task definitions.

Well you can view it with Microsoft Project and grab the latest version from here: http://svn.projectxe..... Planning.mpp

I will see if I can extract it to a jpg if posible so everyone can take a look. We can say that we are starting a new phase into Xenocide development with a clear view on what things have to be done.

Greetings
Red Knight

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I'd like to thank RK for putting the list together, even if the list of tasks is somewhat daunting.

Edit: fixed quoting

Edited by dteviot, 24 March 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Saving the world from the scum of the universe is hard work. Especially when you have to create the scum to begin with.

#5 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

And for the 'deployment' phase of the animated models, rigging and animating will take a good chunk of the time required to deploy the model, not to mention material scripting.

I have deliberately taken them out, because those are required in battlescape and didnt want to complicate the planning further; we have enough complexity as it is :).

In general, I've heard that MPP is a little strange to use when for software development.  Reasons include things like, if you have 4 days or greater on a programming task, you're being too vague on what the task entails.  Consequently, people spend more time on the task definitions than they do on the actual work (this sounds like something I would do).  These are obviously critiques regarding its usefulness in an industrial software development environment, though.

I deliberately use vague definitions because of that. And yes, MPP has its quircks but well something is definitly better than nothing.

About the days, well you dont expect me to estimate how much free time do you guys have? Dont you? :D ... Only thing I could do on that regard is to ask you how much time will an specific time take you :) and try to guesstimate acurately enough.

Greetings
Red Knight

Edited by red knight, 24 March 2006 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:34 AM

You haven't included CTs for the different items. Was it intentionally?
Speaking of it, I think I will have finished CTD planning.mpp in about two days.
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#7 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:15 AM

About the days, well you dont expect me to estimate how much free time do you guys have? Dont you? :D ... Only thing I could do on that regard is to ask you how much time will an specific time take you :) and try to guesstimate acurately enough.

Greetings
Red Knight

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mwwahahahahahah L O L.

I don't think that that would be a good help to you either. Historically, 'whenever it gets done' would be about as accurate as you can get!

Edited by fux0r666, 25 March 2006 - 04:39 AM.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#8 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

You haven't included CTs for the different items. Was it intentionally?
Speaking of it, I think I will have finished CTD planning.mpp in about two days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mhhh because you where doing it? ;) ... When it is done I will import it :)

Greetings
Red Knight

Posted Image

#9 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

Mhhh because you where doing it? ;) ... When it is done I will import it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I thought maybe you just wanted to add something like "Write CT" and not the whole list I came up with... :)
Btw, if you don't need assignments or status of the different CTs, you can have the list now. I'm only working on the status of the different texts.
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#10 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

Added a nice version in PDF :D

http://svn.projectxe..... Planning.pdf

Greetings
Red Knight