XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Commander Not Researchable

Interestingly the only bug I encoutered playing the CE Version. And although it is mentioned in some posts in this board and also in the unofficial strategy guide, I couldnt find any advice what to do.

I had researched everything but Cydonia.

But when I attacked an alien base and captured the commander, the mission statistics said that I had recovered one living alien but he obviously didnt make it back to my base, since he wasnt researchable nor transferable.

I tried earlier savegames, using teams from different bases and copied the savegame to the DOS version, but nothing works.

It was a fun experience replaying the game I played ten years ago, but it would be really annoying not to be able to win it because of a bug.

Thanks in advance.

ps: I cannot be made responsible for my bad english. Its all the educational systems fault.

How full is your containment? If you've got a LOT of aliens on your research list, then you're suffering from over-crowding. Research each and every one of them (especially the 'soldiers'), then go out and capture your commander.

- NKF

The containment is empty. It is also possible to capture another alien type (e.g. medic) and research it. Only leaders and commanders dont work.

I guess I'll try to add the Cydonia topic by hacking the research.dat. Thats only fair since I've done everything ingame and it doesnt work.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

I guess he's sure :)

I know x-com 2 tftd has a program with what you can hack the research tree but I don't know if x-com 1 has one. Too bad your gaming experience had to end like that :(

Edited by Puasonen

Are you sure it was a commander you got? Could it have been a medic or engineer?

I invaded that alien base about 8 to 10 times (interestingly the layout changes every time) and I am sure that I captured the commander every time. You may be right, that my problem has something to do with the containment, since I did some living alien transfers between bases which may have caused the troubles.

Anyway, I edited the research.dat (luckily I still have the notes that I made 10 years ago, when I had fun editing savegames) and added the Cydonia topic. In case someone is interested and doesnt know already (there seem to be some professionals here) you have to change the position 50e in a hex editor from 00 to 01 to make it researchable.

I now have to leave to extinct(?) an alien civilization.

btw: I was wondering what the max reaction is a soldier can achieve. I have one with 96.

• 3 months later...

I ran into the same problem.

When attacking an alien base I got a message that the alien commander has pannicked. I stunned the only two aliens left in the base so one of the must be the commander.

After returning to my base the aliens didn't show up in the alien containment and the containment was empty before the raid.

The aliens recovered from the next four bases were solders and technicians. I may try a raid where all the troops are armed with stun bombs.

• 3 years later...

I, too, have been having this problem. I'm well into the year 2000, have researched everything in the research tree that I am allowed to, and my alien containment is empty. The last 4 bases I've hit, I sent two guys in armed with stun bombs, and they stunned everyone in and around the command center. Each time, the end of mission report says I returned with 7-9 live aliens, but when I checked back at the base, it only showed one or two, and there were no commanders. I have captured and researched 2 leaders at this point. Still can't research Cydonia. Any thoughts?

Scott

Can you make a backup of your game and try the following suggestion. It was used to fix a different problem, but I'd like to see if it work in this instance:

Start a brand new game and save it. Next, copy the ASTORE.DAT file from the new game into your current game. This will essentially reset your containment to the state it was at the start of the game. Proceed to capture your commanders and see if they show up for research.

- NKF

I'm on it. Once I set it up and find another base, I'll let you know what happens. I guess this means letting the UFO's on base-building missions have a free pass...

Scott

Can you make a backup of your game and try the following suggestion. It was used to fix a different problem, but I'd like to see if it work in this instance:

Start a brand new game and save it. Next, copy the ASTORE.DAT file from the new game into your current game. This will essentially reset your containment to the state it was at the start of the game. Proceed to capture your commanders and see if they show up for research.

- NKF

I don't think it would as the game doesn't make any distinction where you capture the Lobsterman Commander from.

- NKF

edit: Doh! - not sure why I put Lobsterman in there. Ignore that.

Edited by NKF

Still trying the idea, NKF. I made the modifications, but the next base I found (#12) was Sectoids. I never paid attention before, but the UFOPedia says Sectoids can't be commanders, so this one will be futile. One other little note I forgot to add: I'm almost halfway through the year 2000, and I have yet to see any Ethereals. Are they the only Commanders? It's been so long since I played the game, I can't remember...

Scott

NKF: U DA MAN! I finished Base #12, which was Sectoids. Despite what the UFOPedia said, there was a commander. I bagged him, and it is letting me research him now. Mark that one into the books as a cure-all. Thanks!!!

Scott - Cydonia bound...