CTD - Collector UFO

coolp

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pulled the terror UFO posts out of here and made a seperate thread for that. Let's keep this thread just for the abduction UFO.

Any suggestions for renaming this UFO? I think it's in our best interests to do so. Unfortunately it seems Abductor is one of the best synonyms for its function, looked it up and it sounds a lot better than "kidnapper", maybe "reaper" or we could stick with "Abduction UFO" instead of Abductor?

Well, it's really there to secretly capture people isn't it? Or is it used as part of the alien infiltration missions? Obviously we'd tie this entry in part to the alien abduction entry, and depending on what the bad guys are up to we can match name to function that way. Infiltration UFO might work, based on the text in this thread.

"The Alkatrazzer"

about the second fluff text, i think the "do i make myself clear?" would be of better use in the entry lift entry. Just delete it, you have 2.

Edited by mikker

Like "Alien Subjugation Vessel", this one could be "Alien Abduction Vessel"

The word has existed since well before the 1930s.

It's definition according to websters dictionary (this is the "law" deffinition) is: The wrongful, and usually the forcible, carrying off of a human being; as, the abduction of a child, the abduction of an heiress.

The websters definition of abduct is: To take away surreptitiously by force; to carry away (a human being) wrongfully and usually by violence; to kidnap.

I think the word fits perfectly. And it's always the one that's always for UFOs, so why not keep it?

now for my complaints:

par1: "Discover" should be changed to discovery

par2: "Horror" should be changed to horrors, or tell should be changed to tells

par4: Delete the second "have"

fluff text: "The only good alien is a dead alien" would sound better IMO

par5: Change examinations to examination

par6: put a "that" after shows. It sounds better.

par7: If you're trying to sound expository, it's generally a bad idea to ask a question in the middle of the text. It just depends on what style of writing you're going for. Either way, you need to put an "a" before coincidence.

par9: You probably shouldn't specify an exact number of troops, since I believe it was a bit random in X-COM

par10: Nix is right, "We need to increase the frequency of our patrols" should probably be changed to something like: "Our science department recommends that X-corps patrols be increased"

Fluff text: love the fluff text ^_^

Loved the entire ctd too, great writing :). Feel free to argue with any of my recommended changes.

Edited by Ancalagon

You could have done this yourself you know! :D

Report on the Alien "Abduction UFO"

"Who else wants a ride up the tractor beam?" -Dr. Zacov, Newly Hired X-Corps Scientist currently in intensive care following extensive reconstructive surgery.

Roswell. Area 51. "The Grey Men". In the past, theses stories where deemed conspiracy theories at best and at worst, the insane ramblings of some crackpot. Those claiming to be abducted were shunned, laughed at, and in some cases put into mental institutions. With the arrival of extrateretrials on this planet, on the current scale however, we now re-examine our initial conclusions. Many of the victims may have been telling the truth, we know now, and this is supported by our discoveries and analysis of "Abduction UFO".

The Abductor UFO has but two purpose: to kidnap and experiment on humans, and erase their memory of the experience when returned to Earth. From the outside, the UFO appears to be a normal medium sized craft. The horrors on the inside, tell a different story however.

Even battle-hardened soldiers shake at the sight of this ship's interior. The lucky abductees (if you could call them that) where the ones returned to the surface alive and "unharmed". These people would live out the rest of their lives in a constant state of paranoia and panic, without ever knowing the reason. Inside the ship however, the not-so-lucky are found. Unwilling participants in horrifying experiments. Some were mercifully dead when we found them, but some still lived in states unimaginable to a sane human mind. It appears that even the alien's technology was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive for the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

Inside the UFO are many devices, the function of some we understand, and others we don't want to understand for fear of what they may be used for. Vivisection of the living appears to be favoured, though we may never know the true motives behind these sickening experiments. All rescued humans to this point have died prior to passing on any useful information; the aliens seem to have unknown medical or mental capabilities to sustain life in such conditions.

"The only good alien is a dead alien." - Colonel Heinlein

Other areas of the ship suggest a variety of unknown objectives the aliens might have. Our operatives have discovered various instruments and tiny devices that have no apparent use, but might have been implanted in human subjects. We are at present co-ordinating with our civilian liaisons to track down individuals claiming to have been abducted by aliens. The thorough examination of these subjects could uncover any number of patterns that might help us anticipate future attacks.

Analysis of the abducted victims has shown that each had some sort of genetic disorder that would typically result in death later in life. Is this coincidence? Our medical examiners theorize that either these diseases were planted or enhanced by the aliens, or the victims were rejected from returning to earth because of them. Further study might lead us to a common thread, but at present this remains a mystery to us.

On the bottom of the UFO is what appears to be some type of tractor beam, used to pull up the abducted from their yard, place of work, or the school they attend. This tractor beam pulls them into a small room, where the abductor presumably greets them. We do not understand how to operate the device as of yet, so all X-Corps soldiers are to proceed with extreme caution around the device to avoid the same fate as Dr. Zacov.

This UFO carries a fairly small compliment of alien troops, for a medium class ship. But these [%numberofaliens] shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

In conclusion, we suggest that X-corp patrols and interceptions against Abduction UFO's be prioritised imeadiately. Like alien terror missions, alien abductions have a profound pyscological effect on the population, which in turn may compromise national governmnets and in turn, [X-corp] funding. Despite the higher levels tactical risk, we recommend that UFO's be engaged, and captured/destroyed where ever possible.

"Dr. Fillwa, you and Dr. Janssen are not to use those alien probes on each other again! Do I make myself clear?" -X-Corps Commander, reprimanding Head Physicists Fillwa and Janssen for improper use of captured equipment.

You could have done this yourself you know!  :D

Fine, I will ^_^. I just spotted some more errors. I spell checked it and added a comma in the first fluff text. I still don't like the question in paragraph second but I'll wait and see what everyone else thinks of it.

Report on the Alien "Abduction UFO"

"Who else wants a ride up the tractor beam?" -Dr. Zacov, Newly Hired X-Corps Scientist, currently in intensive care following extensive reconstructive surgery.

Roswell. Area 51. "The Grey Men". In the past, these stories where deemed conspiracy theories at best and at worst, the insane rumblings of some crackpot. Those claiming to be abducted were shunned, laughed at, and in some cases put into mental institutions. With the arrival of extraterrestrials on this planet, on the current scale however, we now re-examine our initial conclusions. Many of the victims may have been telling the truth, we know now, and this is supported by our discoveries and analysis of "Abduction UFO".

The Abductor UFO has but two purpose: to kidnap and experiment on humans, and erase their memory of the experience when returned to Earth. From the outside, the UFO appears to be a normal medium sized craft. The horrors on the inside, tell a different story however.

Even battle-hardened soldiers shake at the sight of this ship's interior. The lucky abductees (if you could call them that) where the ones returned to the surface alive and "unharmed". These people would live out the rest of their lives in a constant state of paranoia and panic, without ever knowing the reason. Inside the ship however, the not-so-lucky are found. Unwilling participants in horrifying experiments. Some were mercifully dead when we found them, but some still lived in states unimaginable to a sane human mind. It appears that even the alien's technology was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive for the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

Inside the UFO are many devices, the function of some we understand, and others we don't want to understand for fear of what they may be used for. Vivisection of the living appears to be favored, though we may never know the true motives behind these sickening experiments. All rescued humans to this point have died prior to passing on any useful information; the aliens seem to have unknown medical or mental capabilities to sustain life in such conditions.

"The only good alien is a dead alien." - Colonel Heinlein

Other areas of the ship suggest a variety of unknown objectives the aliens might have. Our operatives have discovered various instruments and tiny devices that have no apparent use, but might have been implanted in human subjects. We are at present co-ordinating with our civilian liaisons to track down individuals claiming to have been abducted by aliens. The thorough examination of these subjects could uncover any number of patterns that might help us anticipate future attacks.

Analysis of the abducted victims has shown that each had some sort of genetic disorder that would typically result in death later in life. Is this a coincidence? Our medical examiners theorize that either these diseases were planted or enhanced by the aliens, or the victims were rejected from returning to earth because of them. Further study might lead us to a common thread, but at present this remains a mystery to us.

On the bottom of the UFO is what appears to be some type of tractor beam, used to pull up the abducted from their yard, place of work, or the school they attend. This tractor beam pulls them into a small room, where the abductor presumably greets them. We do not understand how to operate the device as of yet, so all X-Corps soldiers are to proceed with extreme caution around the device to avoid the same fate as Dr. Zacov.

This UFO carries a fairly small compliment of alien troops, for a medium class ship. But these [%numberofaliens] shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

In conclusion, we suggest that X-corp patrols and interceptions against Abduction UFO's be prioritized immediately. Like alien terror missions, alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the population, which in turn may compromise national governments and in turn, [X-corp] funding. Despite the higher levels tactical risk, we recommend that UFO's be engaged, and captured/destroyed where ever possible.

"Dr. Fillwa, you and Dr. Jansen are not to use those alien probes on each other again! Do I make myself clear?" -X-Corps Commander, reprimanding Head Physicists Fillwa and Jansen for improper use of captured.

added a comma in fluff text 1

changed theses to these in paragraph 1

I agree that the word abduction is not copyrighted, neither is windows; you won't see a software company make an application called windows though, even if it isn't an OS, will you? I like Abduction UFO too, but we're talking about an entry/item from a game that has the same item/entry, and calling it the same thing might not be a wise decision. That's why I asked people to try and come up with some other ideas here, we have time to decide. We just want to make sure that when a release comes out with this info, we have our legal butts covered.

Why bother, because we're opensource? Ever hear of FreeCraft?

I agree that the word abduction is not copyrighted, neither is windows; you won't see a software company make an application called windows though, even if it isn't an OS, will you?  I like Abduction UFO too, but we're talking about an entry/item from a game that has the same item/entry, and calling it the same thing might not be a wise decision. That's why I asked people to try and come up with some other ideas here, we have time to decide. We just want to make sure that when a release comes out with this info, we have our legal butts covered.

uhh... no. What is it?

I agree that the word abduction is not copyrighted, neither is windows; you won't see a software company make an application called windows though, even if it isn't an OS, will you?  I like Abduction UFO too, but we're talking about an entry/item from a game that has the same item/entry, and calling it the same thing might not be a wise decision.

The problem is that people have permanently associated the word "abduction" with UFOs. If we use any other title for the ctd it could alienate a large chunk of our audience. Particularly since there aren't many fitting synonyms for "abduction". However, we do risk the possibility of a lawsuit, and although I'm sure we would win, (can you say, "fair and balanced"?) I don't think any of us want to pay for a lawyer. It's a tough choice.

And wouldn't they just ask us to take it down, then we could change it in an update worst case. A lot of these names just don't flow well. Abductor UFO is the definition of the idea that we are trying to get across.

uhh... no. What is it?

Not surprising you haven't heard of it. They were an open source game that was inspired by Blizzard's Star and warcraft. They called their game Freecraft, Blizzard jumped on them and gave them a cease and desist letter.

uhh... no. What is it?

Not surprising you haven't heard of it. They were an open source game that was inspired by Blizzard's Star and warcraft. They called their game Freecraft, Blizzard jumped on them and gave them a cease and desist letter.

yeah, just because it got "craft" in it. They think that they got legal rights over the that name.

Thats the same with Valves map editior "worldcraft" was sued. its now "hammer editior"

Oh, never head of it before this... but a cease and desist letter just makes you change it. We can have it called an abuductor UFO and if they give us sh1t then we can just change it. Edited by coolp

Oh, really?

I wondered why they changed it to Hammer Editor from Worldcraft. It sdidn't make sense.

Hammer is such a s**t name.

An interesting couple of articles regarding name copyright are these two. The articles are directed towards the modding community but are still an interesting read and shows why we have to use different names and concepts whereever possible:

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/editorials/foxedmods/

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/q3dmhellchick/iplaw/

Admin feel free to move if necessary or you feel any of this is valuable enough.

No guys, the name wasn't the issue. FreeCraft was a direct copy of the original game, including every unit, name, and stat. They even promoted it as a free version of the original game. Pretty much a "we decided to make the same game for you, and give it away". So Blizzard stomped on them. Using craft in the name was the smallest of their errors.

I'm bringing up the name issue everywhere here because in general terms we have a similar looking app compared to xcom. We don't want people to think we're making a free version of xcom, and the fewer direct comparisons via names the better.

Based on that, what we are doing is the same if we're not going to implement some essential changes (TFTD could fall under this with ease :devillaugh: ).

Just changing the outfit color would probably do it...the background history is completely different, I doubt there's a copyright on skinny humanoid aliens with big heads that read minds.

Back on topic, "Abductor" is a description, not a name...you can't copyright descriptions (if you can, I claim "Red Sportscar").

-The Captain

Edited by Cpt. Boxershorts

• 1 year later...

I thought this text might need some polishing. Ended up with extensive rewrite... :)

COLLECTOR

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Craft/Collector

Since the early 30th of the 20th century stories about people who claimed to have been abducted by Aliens can be heard everywhere, nevertheless, until now they were deemed conspiracy theories at best and at worst, the insane rumblings of mislead journalists. The abducted themselves were shunned, laughed at, and in some cases put into mental institutions. Regarding the current Alien activities on our planet, however, we now have to re-examine our initial conclusions. Putting our newest research in thought, we now know, many of the victims may have been telling the truth.

The Collector UFO seems to be of one purpose only: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible.

From the outside, the Collector appears to be a normal medium sized craft. The horrors on the inside, tell a different story however.

Even battle-hardened soldiers shake at the sight of this ship's interior. The more lucky abductees where the ones returned to the surface alive and "unharmed". These people would live out the rest of their lives in a constant state of paranoia and panic, sometimes without ever knowing the reason, sometimes being tortured by dreams or even knowing the full truth after psychological treatment. However, not all abductees are returned to earth. These wretched beings can be found inside the ship, some dead and conserved, some still alive and in unimaginable states. Being unwilling participants in horrifying experiments they often are mutilated beyond recognition. It appears that even the Alien's technology was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive after the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

In the part of this ship we call “Alien Medical Room” many devices an be found whose function in a lot of cases still remains a mystery to us and needs extensive research.

However, after a short analysis we can give a broad overview about the Alien’s methods. Vivisection of living subjects appears to be favoured, implementing probes into the targets body – we suspect some type of tracking functionality – seems to be normal. We may never know the true motives behind these experiments, but we suspect some sort of long term research project, maybe to get to know our flaws.

As interesting the interrogation of one of the rescued Humans might have been unfortunately all rescued humans to this point have died prior to passing on any useful information. It seems the Aliens have extraordinary medical and mental capabilities to sustain life in such conditions. 

Analysis of the abducted victims has shown that a significant part had some sort of genetic disorder that would typically result in death later in life. Is this a coincidence? Our medical examiners theorize that either these diseases were planted or enhanced by the aliens, or the victims were rejected from returning to earth because of them. Further study might lead us to a common thread, but at present this remains a mystery to us.

On the bottom of the Collector some type of tractor beam can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without need to land the craft. This tractor beam pulls the subject into a small room, where the abductor apparently “greets” them. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet.

The Collector, although a medium sized ship, carries a fairly small compliment of alien troops. Nevertheless these shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

We suggest a priorization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like alien terror missions, alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corp funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible.

"Who else wants a ride up the tractor beam?" -Dr. Zacov, X-Corps Scientist

• 2 weeks later...

Let's try to do some work, at least...

COLLECTOR

Since the 1early 30th of the 20th century stories about people who claimed to have been abducted by Aliens can be heard everywhere, nevertheless, until now they were deemed conspiracy theories at best and at worst, the insane rumblings of mislead journalists. The abducted themselves were shunned, laughed at, and in some cases put into mental institutions. Regarding the current Alien activities on our planet, however, we now have to re-examine our initial conclusions. Putting our newest research in thought, we now know, many of the victims may have been telling the truth.

1. Sorry, what? 30th of the 20th century? That doesn't seem to make sense, or maybe I'm missing something.

2. This paragraph is far more appropiate for Alien Abductions, not really suitable for the UFO which takes care of the missions (in fact, I think I did add a very similar paragraph on it, a while ago)

The Collector UFO seems to be of one purpose only: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible.

From the outside, the Collector appears to be a 1normal medium sized craft. The horrors on the inside, tell a different story however.

1. Exactly what is a normal craft? :P Not precisely how I'd describe an UFO.

1Even battle-hardened soldiers shake at the sight of this ship's interior. The more lucky abductees where the ones returned to the surface alive and "unharmed". These people would live out the rest of their lives in a constant state of paranoia and panic, sometimes without ever knowing the reason, sometimes being tortured by dreams or even knowing the full truth after psychological treatment. However, not all abductees are returned to earth. These wretched beings can be found inside the ship, some dead and conserved, some still alive and in unimaginable states. Being unwilling participants in horrifying experiments they often are mutilated beyond recognition. It appears that even the Alien's technology 2was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive after the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

1. I wouldn't state it as a fact, maybe something like "Even a battle-hardened soldier would be shaken at the sight of the ship's interior", something along those lines :)

2. Now that sounds like the Aliens' only purpose is to keep them alive, I know what you meant, but that's the picture it evokes :)

In the part of this ship we call “Alien Medical Room” many devices an be found whose function in a lot of cases still remains a mystery to us and needs extensive research.

However, after a short analysis we can give a broad overview about the Alien’s methods. Vivisection of living subjects appears to be favoured, implementing probes into the targets body – we suspect some type of tracking functionality – seems to be normal. We may never know the true motives behind these experiments, but we suspect some sort of long term research project, maybe to get to know our flaws.

As interesting the interrogation of one of the rescued Humans might have been unfortunately all rescued humans to this point have died prior to passing on any useful information. It seems the Aliens have extraordinary medical and mental capabilities to sustain life in such conditions. 

This paragraph talks too much about the Alien Medical Room, which is a different text.

Analysis of the abducted victims has shown that a significant part had some sort of genetic disorder that would typically result in death later in life. Is this a coincidence? Our medical examiners theorize that either these diseases were planted or enhanced by the aliens, or the victims were rejected from returning to earth because of them. Further study might lead us to a common thread, but at present this remains a mystery to us.

Belongs to Alien Abdutions and/or Alien Medical Room.

On the bottom of the Collector some type of tractor beam can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without need to land the craft. This tractor beam pulls the subject into a small room, where the abductor apparently “greets” them. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet.

The Collector, although a medium sized ship, carries a fairly small compliment of alien troops. Nevertheless these shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

We suggest a priorization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like alien terror missions, 1alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corp funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible.

1. Actually, abductions are covert missions, so people (the majority) don't really know they are going on :)

---

I think there is a problem with this text; it contains way too much information about topics already covered by other texts, this text should be exclusively about the very ship, how it works, it's purpose (without getting too deep into it as it requires its own research), its troop complement, its weapons/equipment/engines, etc. I know we don't really know how these ships will be exactly in Xenocide, but that's what we are here for :) About the ship's layout, I assume we are going to go with something similar to X-Com1, if not the same, i.e. the same amount of Powersources/Xenium Reactors, same number of troops (which we'd need to find out, NKF or Zombie most likely know, looked for it in Danial's website as I was sure it was there but it isn't). This one is strictly about the craft :)

1. Sorry, what? 30th of the 20th century? That doesn't seem to make sense, or maybe I'm missing something.

Um, I meant 1930-1939... maybe misspelled it...

[...]

I think there is a problem with this text; it contains way too much information about topics already covered by other texts, this text should be exclusively about the very ship, how it works, it's purpose (without getting too deep into it as it requires its own research), its troop complement, its weapons/equipment/engines, etc. I know we don't really know how these ships will be exactly in Xenocide, but that's what we are here for :) About the ship's layout, I assume we are going to go with something similar to X-Com1, if not the same, i.e. the same amount of Powersources/Xenium Reactors, same number of troops (which we'd need to find out, NKF or Zombie most likely know, looked for it in Danial's website as I was sure it was there but it isn't). This one is strictly about the craft :)

Yea, I understamd what you mean, but how to write a CT about a specialized ship without saying something 'bout its purpose/interior? Well, I think, I'll have to do a complete rewrite then... Might take some time though...

Um, I meant 1930-1939... maybe misspelled it...

[...]

Yea, I understamd what you mean, but how to write a CT about a specialized ship without saying something 'bout its purpose/interior? Well, I think, I'll have to do a complete rewrite then... Might take some time though...

No, you can, but don't get into details already seen in the other entries, that all :)

These are examples of ship entries in which they don't get too deep into topics such as Alien Retaliation or Alien Supply :)

Alien Freighter

Juggernaut

Edited by Azrael

extensive rewrite, so no marking of modified sentences :)

COLLECTOR

After extensive research on the new UFO Type we discovered it seems that we’re dealing with a highly specialized craft here. The Collector UFO seems to be of one purpose only: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible.

The Collector can be classified as a medium sized craft with an uncommon design compared to other UFOs. In the centre of the ship, a floor hatch is found, leaving a big hole in the UFOs hull. Interestingly the flight abilities don’t seem to be compromised by this. The Collector is nearly as manoeuvrable as and even a little bit faster than other medium sized UFOs although only equipped with two power sources. The board armament features a single relatively short ranged high gain plasma cannon with medium firepower. The inside houses interesting medical equipment which needs further research.

A maximum of eighteen crewmembers can be expected inside a undestroyed craft.

Apart from the skilful design of this craft, the interior shows a horrifying scene to the unprepared.

Even a battle-hardened soldier might shake at the sight of this ship's interior. It seems only the more lucky abductees where returned to earth  alive and "unharmed". Others were found inside the ship, some dead and conserved, some still alive and in unimaginable states. Being unwilling participants in horrifying experiments they often are mutilated beyond recognition. It appears that even the Alien's technology was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

We suggest a priorization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like alien terror missions, although most of the abductees don’t know what happened to them, alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corp funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible.

Edited by Mad

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, let's see..

-------

"Needs extensive research" only if you haven't researched it yet, the player may have :)

Hmm, then why do Aliens need to land and make an abduction mission?

Then how to explain the use of the tractor beam? 'cause it is mentioned at some other CT, so it exists. Could we say, it is only capable of lifting the target for about 10 meter? then it's more or less like landing...

Then how to explain the use of the tractor beam? 'cause it is mentioned at some other CT, so it exists. Could we say, it is only capable of lifting the target for about 10 meter? then it's more or less like landing...

Which texts?

Which texts?

Can't proove it right now, but I'm pretty sure there was sth. either in the medical room or in the biological research room... Or have I just imagined this? then I'll take it out )although I 'll have to remove the fluff then... :( ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
Which texts?

Can't proove it right now, but I'm pretty sure there was sth. either in the medical room or in the biological research room... Or have I just imagined this? then I'll take it out )although I 'll have to remove the fluff then... :( ;) )

Hmmm, maybe not. We could say that the Aliens don't just hover around the town/city picking up people randomly without sending the troops because they need the target to be fairly static; so a person running away wouldn't be able to be picked up by it. I like it :), don't remove it, just explain this the way you want, and be a bit more extensive on this tractor beam, as it's an interesting part of the ship, you could say it's based off the Alien gravlifts or that it operates in a similar way, dunno :)

Hmmm, maybe not. We could say that the Aliens don't just hover around the town/city picking up people randomly without sending the troops because they need the target to be fairly static; so a person running away wouldn't be able to be picked up by it. I like it :), don't remove it, just explain this the way you want, and be a bit more extensive on this tractor beam, as it's an interesting part of the ship, you could say it's based off the Alien gravlifts or that it operates in a similar way, dunno :)

:) Good idea! I'll work on it! :) But maybe don't expect something too soon, 'cause I have a pharmacology exam on wednsday, and this is an awefull lot of stuff... :(

:) Good idea! I'll work on it! :) But maybe don't expect something too soon, 'cause I have a pharmacology exam on wednsday, and this is an awefull lot of stuff... :(

Sure, no problem :) good luck.

• 1 month later...

Ok! New version coming up!

Still no extensive work on the tractor beam, but maybe it is enough. Can't think of more right now.

Tried to highlight all changes made, I'm not sure if i got all.. ;)

Is it correct that the collector is only for humans? I'm not that sure atm, but too lazy to check... :P

Please tell me what you think!

COLLECTOR

After extensive research on the new UFO Type we discovered, it seems that we’re dealing with a highly specialized craft here. The Collector UFO seems to be of one purpose only: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible.

The Collector can be classified as a medium sized craft with an uncommon design compared to other UFOs. In the centre of the ship, a floor hatch is found, leaving a big hole in the UFOs hull. Interestingly the flight abilities don’t seem to be compromised by this. The Collector is nearly as manoeuvrable as and even a little bit faster than other medium sized UFOs although only equipped with two power sources. The board armament features a single relatively short ranged high gain plasma cannon with medium firepower. The inside houses interesting medical equipment which needs further research.

A maximum of eighteen crew members can be expected inside a undestroyed craft.

Apart from the skilful design of this craft, the interior shows a horrifying scene to the unprepared.

Even a battle-hardened soldier might shake at the sight of this ship's interior. It seems only the more lucky abductees where returned to earth  alive and "unharmed". Others were found inside the ship, some dead and conserved, some still alive and in unimaginable states. Being unwilling participants in horrifying experiments they often are mutilated beyond recognition. It appears that even the Alien's technology was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

The working centre of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Maybe some day we will be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's benefits.

As interesting the interrogation of one of the rescued Humans might have been, unfortunately all rescued humans to this point have died prior to passing on any useful information. It seems the Aliens have extraordinary medical and mental capabilities to sustain life in such conditions. 

On the bottom of the Collector some type of tractor beam can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without need to land the craft. This tractor beam, based on an advanced version of the grav lifts which can be found inside the larger UFOs, pulls the subject into a small room, where the abductor apparently “greets” them. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet. We suspect some kind of mind controlled operation, since we were not able to detect any control-boards.

Interestingly the Aliens prefer to land and set down a group of “hunters” before committing the actual abduction, presumably to ensure the safe boarding of the target. We suspect, that the tractor beam cannot be used on moving persons.

We suggest a priorization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like alien terror missions, although most of the abductees don’t know what happened to them, alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corp funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible.

• 2 weeks later...

COLLECTOR UFO

After extensive research on the new UFO Type we discovered, it seems that we’re dealing with a highly specialized craft here. The Collector UFO seems to be of one purpose only have only one purpose: research on the Human race to be a research lab specialised in the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible.

The Collector can be classified as a medium sized craft with an uncommon design, compared to other UFOs. In the centre of the ship, a floor hatch is found, leaving a big hole in the UFOs hull. Interestingly It is very interesting that its the flight abilities don’t seem to be compromised by this uncommon feature. The Collector is nearly as manoeuvrable as other medium sized UFOs, and even a little bit faster, although only equipped with two power sources. The board armament features a single relatively short ranged high gain plasma cannon with medium firepower. The insideinterior houses interesting medical equipment which needs further research. A maximum of eighteen crew members can be expected transported inside the a undestroyed craft.

Apart from the skillful design of this craft, the interior shows a horrifying scene to the unprepared. Even a battle-hardened stress-hardened? soldier might shake at the its sight of this ship's interior. It seems only the more lucky abductees where were returned to Earth alive and "unharmed". Others were found inside the ship, some dead and conserved, some still alive and but in unimaginable states condition. Being unwilling participants in horrifying experiments, they often are mutilated beyond recognition. some rephrasing needed? It appears that even the Alien's Aliens' technology was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent.

The working centre of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Someday, we may be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's benefits. As interesting the interrogation of one of the rescued Humans might have been, unfortunately all rescued humans to this point have died prior to passing on any useful information this really needs rephrasing, may I help?. It seems the Aliens have extraordinary medical and mental capabilities to sustain life in such conditions.

On the bottom of the Collector vessel, some type of tractor beam can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without need to having to land the craft. This tractor beam, based on an advanced version of the grav lifts which can be found inside the larger UFOs do we know which is that "advanced version"?, pulls the subject into a small room, where the abductor apparently “greets” them them? you are talking about the "subject". In addition, it looks like an unofficial paper. Unfortunately, we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet. We suspect some kind of mind controlled operation, since we were not able to detect any control-boardsconsoles. Interestingly, the Aliens prefer to land and set down a group of “hunters” before committing the actual abduction, presumably to ensure the safe boarding of the target. We suspect, that the tractor beam cannot be used on moving persons.

The Collector, although a medium sized ship it seems to be repeated, carries a fairly small compliment of Alien troops. Nevertheless, these shock troopers should not be underestimated, as the best alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

We suggest a priorizationprioritization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like alien terror missions, although most of the abductees don’t know what happened to them, alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corps' funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible.

------

Whenever alien is noun, then it is called "Alien", and whenever it is adjective, it is "alien", right?

I hope I wasn't mean :D

Heya Mad! Looks like you've been keeping busy. :) Most of the following are suggestions (in italics and purple text to denote the text it's replacing). Comments are in blue. On a general note, contractions usually aren't often used in formal texts, but that's Az's call.

COLLECTOR

After extensive research on the new UFO Type we discovered, it seems that we’re dealing with a highly specialized craft here. The Collector UFO seems designed for one sole purpose? to be of one purpose only: research on the Human race. Target persons are kidnapped and experimented on, afterwards ripped of their short term memory and returned to Earth if possible. Why "if possible"?  Are the Aliens being merciful? :)  This sentence might be giving too much information about Alien Abduction Missions.  One possible take: Human targets are abducted for experimentation, and while there is evidence that some abductees have been returned to Earth, all suffer irreversible short-term memory loss.

The Collector can be classified as a medium sized craft with an uncommon design features in comparison? compared to other UFOs. In the centre of the ship, a floor hatch is found, leaving a big hole in the UFOs hull. This sentence is a little weird; "hatch" usually refers to a small opening, but then it's described as a "big hole".  Maybe: In the centre of the ship, an enormous aperture...? Interestingly, the flight abilities don’t seem to be compromised by this. The Collector is nearly as manoeuvrable as and even a little bit faster than other medium sized UFOs although only equipped with two power sources. The previous sentence is a little wordy, perhaps: Although equipped with only two power sources, the Collector's manoeuverability and speed compare favorably to other similar-sized UFOs. Argh, I guess I was a bit wordy, too... :P The board armament features a single relatively short ranged high gain plasma cannon with medium firepower. This is too much detail because the the Collector UFO's main "theme" isn't about weapons. The inside interior? or The Collector houses...? houses interesting unusual? medical equipment which needs further research. A maximum of eighteen crew members can be expected inside a undestroyed undamaged? craft.

Apart Aside? from the skillful design of this craft, the interior shows is? a horrifying scene to the unprepared.

Even a battle-hardened soldier might shake tremble? at the sight of this ship's interior. It seems only the more lucky abductees where returned to earth alive and "unharmed". Others were The previous sentence seems to be to overlap with the Alien Abduction CT. Those? found inside the ship, some dead and conserved preserved?, some still alive and in unimaginable states a contorted and hideous state?. Being u Unwilling participants in horrifying experiments, they often are mutilated beyond recognition. It appears that even the Alien's technology was pushed to the limit to keep these poor souls alive to finish the extreme surgical procedures they underwent. The last sentence may be too much detail, but it's your call.  The working centre core? of this ship seems to be found in that part we call “Alien Medical Room”. Maybe some day we will be able to use the various instruments found in there for mankind's benefits. Is the center of the ship the Alien Medical Room, or is the Alien Medical Room inside the center of the ship?

As interesting the interrogation of one of the rescued Humans might have been, The first part of this sentence seems a bit extra; maybe: Unfortunately, all rescued humans died prior to passing on any useful information or Unfortunately, all the abductees perished long before the recovery mission was complete? unfortunately all rescued humans to this point have died prior to passing on any useful information. It seems the Aliens have extraordinary medical and mental capabilities to sustain life in such conditions.  This last sentence seems to be a bit extra, too.  Maybe delete it?

On the bottom ventral side? of the Collector some type of tractor beam can be found, presumably used to lift up the abducted without need to land the craft. This tractor beam, based on an advanced version of the grav lifts which can be found inside the larger UFOs, pulls the subject into a small room, where the abductor apparently “greets” them. Unfortunately we do not understand how to operate or block the device as of yet. We suspect some kind of mind controlled operation, since we were not able to detect any control-boards. Um, I think this part about the abductor "greeting" is more at home in the Alien Abduction CT; research on the Collector ship wouldn't be able to tell us this, imho.  The mind control operation of the tractor beam might be too speculative for this text?

Interestingly the Aliens prefer to land and set down a group of “hunters” before committing the actual abduction, presumably to ensure the safe boarding of the target. We suspect, that the tractor beam cannot be used on moving persons.

The Collector, although a medium sized ship, carries a fairly small complement of alien troops. Nevertheless these shock troopers should not be under estimated, as the best highly-trained? Alien soldiers are chosen for these missions, presumably to ensure that the humans are taken alive, not dead.

We suggest a prioritization of X-Corps activities to protect the civilian population. Just like Alien terror missions, although most of the abductees don’t know what happened to them, Alien abductions have a profound psychological effect on the public, which may compromise national governments and in turn, X-Corp funding. Despite the resulting tactical risk, we recommend UFO's to be engaged, and captured/destroyed whenever possible before they conduct their gruesome mission?

Um... looks like I went a little wild, Mad. Sorry about that. :( A lot of my comments revolve around "too much info"; I am wondering how scientists are finding about some things by looking at the craft itself. Other times, the speculation seems unfounded, and sometimes things are described in a bit too much detail, but that's just my opinion. See what the other folks say. :)

BUT! Overall, the ideas in the text are good. Nice work, Mad.

Edited by Astyanax