XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com Xenocide Geoscape Beta

Crack4Breakfast

I just downloaded and messed around with the Geoscape Beta. Seemed fantastic! Only problems i have are:

1 - There's a big easily visible line from north to south poles in the pacific
2 - You can't right click to instantly center on a spot :bash:

3 - Doesn't spin fast enough for my liking when the arrows are clicked

4 - The cursor is just a measly little green dot? c'mon!

Another thing that doesn't really have anything to do with the geoscape is, when i click on bases and it switches views ... the air lock/entrance thingy (can't remember the UFO defence name) looks awful, exact copy from UFO Defence only worse looking. Plus the white background with the grid hurts my eyes :crying:

Overall though ... I'm stupified by the stupendousness :freak:

[quote name='Crack4Breakfast' date='Dec 3 2002, 01:05 AM']I just downloaded and messed around with the Geoscape Beta. Seemed fantastic! Only problems i have are:

1 - There's a big easily visible line from north to south poles in the pacific
2 - You can't right click to instantly center on a spot :bash:

3 - Doesn't spin fast enough for my liking when the arrows are clicked

4 - The cursor is just a measly little green dot? c'mon!

Another thing that doesn't really have anything to do with the geoscape is, when i click on bases and it switches views ... the air lock/entrance thingy (can't remember the UFO defence name) looks awful, exact copy from UFO Defence only worse looking. Plus the white background with the grid hurts my eyes :crying:

Overall though ... I'm stupified by the stupendousness  :freak:[/quote]
I hadnt notice the line.. can you print screen it and send me a JPG to see if it is a texture artifact or something else....

I think that the rotation will have to be parametized after all... (cause i like how it rotates and took me a lot of tweaking time)...

My artist havent go enough time to work on the base stuff and i had to know what kind of base component i was looking at so i had use a texture of the old XCOM... :P My artist idea was to use real 3D models to the base so when i find enough time i will work on it...

Thanks for the review

Grettings
Red Knight

:sorry: , but i'm not sure how exactly to get a screenshot ... all i can think of is hit printscreen, but i never used that in games (read: no clue what to do) If you could gimme a little help with it I'd be glad to follow some instructions, and sorry for the bother
:erm: On a side note, i don't really wanna upset you, but i found a game being developed that is basically an X-COM game only not ([url="http://www.ufo-aftermath.com"]www.ufo-aftermath.com[/url]) Just thought you might be able to get SOME inspiration and be able to compare your work to that of theirs (I think yours looks almost as good)

[quote name='Crack4Breakfast' date='Dec 4 2002, 01:18 PM']:sorry: , but i'm not sure how exactly to get a screenshot ... all i can think of is hit printscreen, but i never used that in games (read: no clue what to do) If you could gimme a little help with it I'd be glad to follow some instructions, and sorry for the bother
:erm: On a side note, i don't really wanna upset you, but i found a game being developed that is basically an X-COM game only not ([url="http://www.ufo-aftermath.com"]www.ufo-aftermath.com[/url]) Just thought you might be able to get SOME inspiration and be able to compare your work to that of theirs (I think yours looks almost as good)[/quote]
Don´t worry i had saw aftermath before and it look really good... :D
About the printscreen stuff do it that way... most direct3D games restrict the use of printscreen (i dont know why) but you wont have problems with the demo.... I had done that to get the screenshots too...

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='Crack4Breakfast' date='Dec 6 2002, 11:33 AM']what folder should the screenshots go to when i hit printscreen? :freak:[/quote]
Open any graphics package and select paste... some packages like photoshop needs you to create a blank image (800x600) and then you can paste it...

Greetings
Red Knight

Just wanted to say, worked great for me. I am impressed. In the full version, a cool thing might be if you can make it so there's 'seasons'. You know, make the sun be higher or lower depending on the time of year. It would be a really cool little touch. Thanks for the great work!

[quote name='Chris' date='Dec 12 2002, 08:58 PM']Just wanted to say, worked great for me.  I am impressed.  In the full version, a cool thing might be if you can make it so there's 'seasons'.  You know, make the sun be higher or lower depending on the time of year.  It would be a really cool little touch.  Thanks for the great work![/quote]
Yes i had thought a lot of time ago to do it, but didnt have enough time left to find out a linear or quadratic function that aproximate the sun movement around the earth (taking in account the 22 degrees - i think - earth's tilt - dont know if this is the correct word for the rotation but anyway - )... If anyone here has a background on mathematics or geophysics and want to do the calculation i will be very happy (in fact because i dont have to do it on my own), just drop the formula in the forum.

Greetings
Red Knight

PD: I can use the real formula instead of an aproximation too...

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, I assume you know that the beta doesn't work in 2k - it seems like completely frozen except for the changing FPS - but I've found that you can move the cursor while the program is behind another application (alt-tab) i.e. the engine.
But as soon as it gets focus again the cursor recenters and you'll have to repeat the process ;)

off-topic: I don't know if there's any other topic/thread/whatever on this but have you had any thought of a soundtrack for the remake?

Well it's to bad but it doesn't work for me. I'm getting two notepad files as a result of starting up "xcomxlone". The one is attached, the other is empty. I would love to see it, but well.... Tell me what to do.

My computer:
Win98 sec. ed.
128 MB RAM
Intel Celeron 333 Mhz
DirectX 8.1

I'll hear from you

:o Woah! I got it to work!
I just had to change the following in engine.conf (wouldn't .cfg be better??)

mouseExclusiveMode = true; -> mouseExclusiveMode = false;

Cheers!

... now I'll just have to open Photoshop and take a look at those GUI graphics 'cause DAMN -- to metallic for my taste.

Guest Bedsheet
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that you don't have an Nvidia video card. I talked to RK about this before in chat and he said all he needed to do was change the opengl extentions from NV to A something. Can't remember what they were.
In other words it won't work for you, or for me for that matter till that change is made. I don't have a clue how hard that is to change and he is quite busy atm. So sit back drool at the screenshots and be patienty they'll get it all together soon and we can begin playing. ( the new version as apposed to the old , still playing that)
Dave

Guest Ghormak
I read somewhere that the beta hasn't been run succesfully on a Win98 system before.

Well, now it has. :)

It runs perfectly for me (except that it doesn't change the resolution back after exiting) on Win98SE. All I had to do was change the configuration like LordT described.

My computer is a:

AMD Duron 800 MHz
256Mb RAM
GF2MX400 with the 41.09 drivers

Keep up the good work. The original game is my all time favourite game, and I've been awaiting a remake for years. :)

When I run the battlescape beta it just exits to windows and this is reported in the "Engine Report.txt"

[quote]-- Log Begin

State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_ARB_multitexture)
State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_NV_vertex_program)
State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_NV_register_combiners)
State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_EXT_secondary_color)
Error found: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extensions, aborting loading.[/quote]

I've tried different settings in the engine.conf but nothing seems to make a difference.

My specs: AMD Athlon 1,4Ghz, Geforce4 Ti4400 128 Mb, 768 Mb DDR SDRAM, Windows 2000 sp2, desktop 1024x768x32@85Hz, Nvidia drivers v41.09.

Guest phoenixphylok
How do you get this rather nifty looking program to work under an :uzzi:ATI card?

I would really like to check it out, but no Nvidia! :bash:

Guest phoenixphylok
forgot the log
from engine report.txt

[QUOTE]
-- Log Begin

State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_NV_vertex_program)
State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_NV_register_combiners)
Error found: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extensions, aborting loading.[QUOTE]

Just an idea, but why not incorporate a software rendering mode, I know the majority of people have decent GFX cards nowadays (myself included) but I'd like to be able to run this on my laptop too, which is a decent spec but no 3d card (always bugged me that I couldn't play GTA2, needs a 3d Card)

[quote name='Pringle' date='Jan 7 2003, 09:52 AM']Just an idea, but why not incorporate a software rendering mode, I know the majority of people have decent GFX cards nowadays (myself included) but I'd like to be able to run this on my laptop too, which is a decent spec but no 3d card (always bugged me that I couldn't play GTA2, needs a 3d Card)[/quote]
Welcome to 1996

Well all my 3D games work, half-life, STV, WC3, etc, there are however several that completely and utterly refuse to run with out a 3d card, and although my laptop could handle the processing (1ghz, 256mb RAM) I have no actual 3d card (need to get a laptop with GeForce Go or ATI Rage Mobility).

It doesn't really matter, I can play it on my desktop it was just a thought...

[quote name='MarkusEdholm' date='Jan 6 2003, 06:24 PM']When I run the battlescape beta it just exits to windows and this is reported in the "Engine Report.txt"

[quote]
-- Log Begin

State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_ARB_multitexture)
State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_EXT_secondary_color)
Error found: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extensions, aborting loading.[/quote]

I've tried different settings in the engine.conf but nothing seems to make a difference.

My specs: AMD Athlon 1,4Ghz, Geforce4 Ti4400 128 Mb, 768 Mb DDR SDRAM, Windows 2000 sp2, desktop 1024x768x32@85Hz, Nvidia drivers v41.09.[/quote]
It wont make a difference because your video card lack some important extensions like the capability to run vertex programs to get the bumpy and smooth lighting. Let alone it doesnt support multitexturing a standard 2 years ago. It is pretty puzzling because after i had post this i took a look to your specs and found that you have a heck of a video card. It look like the engine is not capable of linking with the drivers capabilities. I need some more information, i cannot add a program in edit mode so i will post it on another one. The program will discover what is your cards capabilities (or at least the ones i can discover). Maybe is a glich caused by Windows 2000, had found others like the mouse issue (you move the mouse, but direct x doesnt found it)...

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='phoenixphylok' date='Jan 7 2003, 02:25 AM']How do you get this rather nifty looking program to work under an :uzzi:ATI card?

I would really like to check it out, but no Nvidia! :bash:[/quote]
I dont know if your card support vertex programs but the problems with the new ATIs cards will be resolved when i change the extension used. When i had programmed the Geoscape Illumination and Bump Mapping the ARB extension to vertex programs wasnt ready so no drivers had implemented it. Now most drivers including NVidia and ATI's one support the ARB Vertex Program Extension so i will change the calls to the old "propietary" NVidia extension to the ARB one when i get some time.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='LordT' date='Jan 7 2003, 04:33 PM']Edited post: (it came out wrong the last time)
I don't mean to be a whiner... but still...
the left/right earth movements are INVERSED! :wacko:
So you'd know[/quote]
Just a constant sign, will be fixed as soon as posible. Thanks for the comment.

Greetings
Red Knight

Well everyone can try this and send me an email to [email protected] with the subject "Xeno: Video Card Specs" and copy the contents of the "Extensions Availables.txt" archive on it. Please add as the first line your video card (NVidia, ATI, etc) and its model (Geforce 4 TI4400, Radeon 8500, etc)... to let me know what video cards are compatible.

Greetings
Red Knight

[quote name='Pringle' date='Jan 7 2003, 11:52 AM']Just an idea, but why not incorporate a software rendering mode, I know the majority of people have decent GFX cards nowadays (myself included) but I'd like to be able to run this on my laptop too, which is a decent spec but no 3d card (always bugged me that I couldn't play GTA2, needs a 3d Card)[/quote]
Most of the calculations needed for a decent quality 3d game are pretty hard to do them on the CPU, so a dedicated processor is required (a GPU) that is incorporated on all new (and not so new) 3D Cards. Software rendering is just plain too slow to handle it. Software Rendering is only posible in non realtime packages like RenderMan, 3D Studio Max, etc. no games (at least no 3D Games). For example even if i try it is quite imposible to get a bumpy surface and pixel illumination without vertex programs because the calculation needed cannot be handled by the CPU in realtime. It is not a surprise to see that most 1 year old games do not use bumpy and glossy surfaces, because most of that games were started 2 or 3 years before. Most games today use that tecnology because it is widespread. With Geforce 3 and alike being the standard video cards (at least for hardcore gamers, the ones that spend a lot of money on games).

Greetings
Red Knight

I downloaded Xenocide today and was really looking forward to seeing how great it looked first hand. Unfortunately, it didn't even run. I checked the Engine txt file and it says

"State info: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extension (GL_NV_vertex_program)
Error found: XComInit::Couldn't find needed OpenGL Extensions, aborting loading"

I have a P4 2.4 ghz 512mb RAM pc w/ a Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb graphics card, and im running Win XP professional. I downloaded DirectX 9.0 and went to ATI.com and got the driver package for my card and it still doesn't work. when i run a PC Test through my ATI configuration it fails the DirectX test saying "not installed properly", however when i do dxdiag all diagnostic tests run fine

help! LOL

[quote name='Nick' date='Jan 12 2003, 10:00 PM']I have a P4 2.4 ghz 512mb RAM pc w/ a Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb graphics card, and im running Win XP professional.  I downloaded DirectX 9.0 and went to ATI.com and got the driver package for my card and it still doesn't work.  when i run a PC Test through my ATI configuration it fails the DirectX test saying "not installed properly", however when i do dxdiag all diagnostic tests run fine[/quote]
Take a look 6 posts ago it explains your problem.

Greetings
Red Knight