XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Unit Taunts!?

Zora

Hey..

I just got a great idea, or at least it seems cool at the moment :D Looked around at the forum but could'nt

seem to find anthing related to it.

The idea..

Unit Taunts! The units should be able to taunt, if its possible, through words/text floating above them.

The taunts should be typed in by the player, for now that its. I think it would add some realism to it, or at the very least some extra depth in some way. It also makes it possible for "squad leaders" to be seemingly issuing orders.

A little example..

Sergent Kenly: Squad A, secure the flanks Squad B on me.

Which then shows up in the other players turn, possibly centered on the where text is.

I think it would be very nice addition to the game, what do you think?

/Zora

Its probably not a good idea to either tell your opponant the next move (misleading maybe ;)) and the way youve sugggested it leaves it open to abuse (both litreally and figurativly LOL)

Although it WOULD be cool to have maybe a taunt/encourage button, it would take maybe 80% TUs but increace accuracy and morale of nearly allies and decrease that of nearby enemies, prehaps a 6x6 square and the effect decreaseing as the call grows fainter(akin to the "rally" button in Medieval Total War)........ or maybe there could be one of each and it would be up to you to either have a greater chance killing you enemy "leader" with a sniper, or have the chance to rout his squad with a well placed rocket blast (unless he uses the rally cry)!

If the sergeant/commander option is introduced in the unit selection, maybe they could be the only unit to have this ability, or if this is not possible, make it an additional function to a sword, so you could have your (chain)sword and pistol wielding squad leader, like in 40k. :yarr:

And even if I know this is never going to come to fruition, my thanks to you all for making this incredible game

[offtopic] You really like using "!?" in your topic names / descriptions eh? :laugh: [/offtopic]

.!? :D

So basicly an way to add realism AND tell your opponent your next move?

Thats what the example suggest, but it does'nt say how many does what and how!

But now this idea was primarily intended to be combat taunts.

/Zora

Well Zora, you might be pleased to know that this has already been discussed.

Also, I'm very pleased with this idea, however it might behave otherwise.

It's pretty hard to tell that units are moving on the side of something, it would require some AI by itself.

However, You might see something like the following appearing in the top left corner in the future :

B) Stevens : Command, Hostiles 12 O'clock" -- A bad guy appears

:sorry: Pustulio : "Grenade !" -- Pustulio throws a brick

B) Stevens : "We're taking fire" -- Stevens was in the way

:sorry: Pustulio : "Command, requesting reinforcement" -- Pustulio's morale is getting low

Edited by nachtwolf

As long as it's possible to turn them off.

Taunts on top of guys' heads in the battlescape could rock if you for example have close standoff situations. (They should not affect gameplay results.)

I think at some point it should affect game results, but the taunt feature should be able to be enabled /disabled and also customized. For instance whether if its the player that types the taunt or its selected from premade taunts. But I do think that it can affect certain aspects of the game, such as boosting the morale in panicked units, or just units that has lost morale in some way.

/Zora