XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Virus down loading xcom rellated content.

dlogue

Hey team I thought I would just send out a warning about a virus a contracted from downloading ufo content. The UFO2000 beta files were compromised but judging by the amount of people that use UFO2000 I doubt that it was the source of the infection.

The Virus was Vista antispyware 2012 and it poses as a spyware scanner and does a FAKE check on your computer and tells you that you are in grave danger of having your private info stollen amongst other scare-ware tactics. It is trying to get you to buy a FAKE tool to remove the infection but the are just after your card details. DO NOT BE FOOLED. It is a very powerfull virus. It will block you from accessing the internet and your virus checker to find out what it is and how to get rid of it.

The files related to XCOM I recently downloaded were;

The TFTD soundtrack http://www.zophar.net/music/psf/x-com-terr...m-the-deep.html

The TFTD soundtrack again http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=227 (unlikely)

TFTD From steam's own website, highly unlikely

These files were all infected but, I cannot be sure if any of them were the cause. But in any case be carefull.

Edited by dlogue

Just follow the basic security measures: do not download stuff from untrusted sources and check downloads with an antivirus if you are on Windows. Another approach might be the following: build up a test virtual machine and download suspicious files there. In case of infection -- revert to clean machine state.

Nothing special to do with UFO2000 here :)

Edited by Fomka