XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What do you do when you come to the crossroads?

aquila

You know when in xcom1 you are in a battlescape mission and you are at a crossroads. You can make two different decisions, and each will have different consequences.

Okay picture this. FLoater terror mission at night, everyone gets wiped out except commander and a sergeant, most of the map is explored and suddenly one float (possibly the last) comes around the corner of a building within sight of my commander. I think to myself, I can take a shot with my commander, and then with the other guy, and the alien dies. But I also had the choice to throw a high explosive at the floater. Guess what, the rookie missed, and being close to where he threw the HE, he blew himself up next turn. And my commander also got killed.

:(

If I had just fired at the floater with both my rookies, I would have won mission. Instead I lose skyranger with all my laser rifles and equipment, and have to produce and sell motion scanners for the next two weeks so that I can have money again to buy a sky ranger.

Yesterday I was again at a crossroads, where I could have gone on to Cydonia instead of an alien base. Chose to go to the base, didnt have enough elirium left after that (since there was none in the base), and both my avengers were stuck in the docks and had to restart game. Very annoying.

It seems to me that I always take the wrong choice when it comes to important crossroads, never the right one, very frustrating. :(

You know when in xcom1 you are in a battlescape mission and you are at a crossroads. You can make two different decisions, and each will have different consequences.

Okay picture this. FLoater terror mission at night, everyone gets wiped out except commander and a sergeant, most of the map is explored and suddenly one float (possibly the last) comes around the corner of a building within sight of my commander. I think to myself, I can take a shot with my commander, and then with the other guy, and the alien dies. But I also had the choice to throw a high explosive at the floater. Guess what, the rookie missed, and being close to where he threw the HE, he blew himself up next turn. And my commander also got killed.

:(

If I had just fired at the floater with both my rookies, I would have won mission. Instead I lose skyranger with all my laser rifles and equipment, and have to produce and sell motion scanners for the next two weeks so that I can have money again to buy a sky ranger.

Yesterday I was again at a crossroads, where I could have gone on to Cydonia instead of an alien base. Chose to go to the base, didnt have enough elirium left after that (since there was none in the base), and both my avengers were stuck in the docks and had to restart game. Very annoying.

It seems to me that I always take the wrong choice when it comes to important crossroads, never the right one, very frustrating. :(

I know how it feels. When the chips are down, it's tempting to tough it out and try to take down the aliens. If I were willing to reload, I'd try to finish the mission and see what happens. But if I'm not re-loading, I'd bug out. As far as Cydonia goes, I myself avoid it as long as possible, to make sure I have lots of tough psi-troopers with forces left over for other problems. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying I'm too careful. I overkill "careful". But I feel your pain. ;-)

Next time you come to a crossroads situation, consider saving the game in a different slot. Then explore your options. Throw that HE pack, or fire at the alien with weapons instead. If something doesn't work, just reload and try something else. That's the best way to learn about strategy. :)

- Zombie

Oh and "Sorry about spamming..." is a terrible title. This thread should be "What do you do when you come to the crossroads?".

Posing questions and talking about scenarios you experienced is what this board is all about. This is a complex game. Don't be afraid to post more thoughtful ideas like this one. We see maybe 5 new topics a week. Hardly spam my friend.

-D

I concur. This isn't spam. Spam would involve posts of generally useless content or unsolicited ads. Generally repeated over and over and over again, verbatim. So you should apologise for apologising! No, don't listen to me. Do whatever you want. ;)

I'll see if I can wiggle this mod wand and change the title to the one SaintD recommended.

Making bad decisions is part of the fun. Well, not really but it does teach you not to do it again next time. It's all part of learning.

As for going to Cydonia, don't feel rushed about getting there as early as you can (unless that's part of your self-imposed campaign rules). Cydonia can wait. Just go when you think you're ready.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 3 months later...
As for going to Cydonia, don't feel rushed about getting there as early as you can (unless that's part of your self-imposed campaign rules). Cydonia can wait. Just go when you think you're ready.

- NKF

How can you wait knowing those aliens are just sitting up there on mars laughing at you? We have to end the alien threat now, now, now!

I hate waiting. In my current game I have Psi labs and just need to grab a commander for research and I can go. I just hate waiting months to screen enough soldiers to withstand the psi attacks of the final assault.

The aliens don't have any sort of doomsday weapon or some other powerful counter attack to force you to rush things.

But it really depends where you're at. You could be in a position where you point your finger at them and laugh at their useless attempts at throwing UFO after UFO to their death against your impenetrable defense efforts. ;)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

The aliens don't have any sort of doomsday weapon or some other powerful counter attack to force you to rush things.

But it really depends where you're at. You could be in a position where you point your finger at them and laugh at their useless attempts at throwing UFO after UFO to their death against your impenetrable defense efforts. ;)

- NKF

I would be laughing if the Ethereals weren't setting up bases like they were Starbucks in Seattle. Not to mention lots of infiltration missions. So far I have lost Nigeria. My one Avenger is contantly in the shop.

On the other hand my network of sensors and interceptors is solid and cash from alien supply ships is rolling in.

-D

Can't help you with the infiltrations, but the base can be tackled easily with the surigcal strike. Load up on 5 - 6 blaster bombs and one or two blaster launchers. Two soldiers should be sufficient, but more is merrier.

Head into the alien base, locate the command centre on turn 1 or 2, then nuke the four tables from underneath (1 between each pair of tables will be sufficient). If you can't spot the command centre, sprint back to the exits and dust off, then restart the mission.

Use your knowledge of the command center floorpan and even the windows to save a few shells. Once the tables are gone, head to the exits post haste and dust off. The base will be wiped off the map. You don't get any loot (unless you brought some with you) , but you'll be one less ethereal base now that the commanders have gotten so upset that they've lost their poker tables.

If you don't have blaster launchers, rockets or high explosives (shoved through the ceiling) can be used, but they require a bit more work and better line of sight.

- NKF

Can't help you with the infiltrations, but the base can be tackled easily with the surigcal strike. Load up on 5 - 6 blaster bombs and one or two blaster launchers. Two soldiers should be sufficient, but more is merrier.

Head into the alien base, locate the command centre on turn 1 or 2, then nuke the four tables from underneath (1 between each pair of tables will be sufficient). If you can't spot the command centre, sprint back to the exits and dust off, then restart the mission.

Use your knowledge of the command center floorpan and even the windows to save a few shells. Once the tables are gone, head to the exits post haste and dust off. The base will be wiped off the map. You don't get any loot (unless you brought some with you) , but you'll be one less ethereal base now that the commanders have gotten so upset that they've lost their poker tables.

If you don't have blaster launchers, rockets or high explosives (shoved through the ceiling) can be used, but they require a bit more work and better line of sight.

- NKF

This is fabulous advice. Too bad I tried something else.

What I did instead was land a squad of guys in a lightning at a supply ship. All had >50 psi str. This wasn't enough. Mind control after a few turns on two soldiers led to some grenades where my troops were still concentrated inside and preparing to storm the UFO. I lost 20 soldiers in one turn. The 5 left panicked for a solid 5 turns. Once I got them under control, I put one in the transport to bug out, and the rest stormed the UFO.

I did manage to win. Mostly using a heavy lasers like shotguns at close range. (works great for that, Thanks for the idea Zombie). In the end only 2 agents lived through the encounter. Once I spend another month screening for some strong PSI soldiers, I will send Agents J and K with some blaster bombs to wipe out the (now 4) ethereal bases.

-D

[edit: english, making sense, additional thoughts]

Edited by SaintD