XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Terrain Ideas

Violazr

hmmm, ah well, just make it desert training camp or desert town

Edit: Ok, i looked it up, new it looked wrong, the country is called Li.bya, i knew that didn't look right (take out the . _

I'm pretty sure that someone censored the country name too, so that no one could tell exactly what i'm talking about....

it is censored, and it has a meaningless random word, how odd

Edited by blehm

One question:

Did anyone successfully play the Plane Crash Site on the 'net?

I just tried, but couldn't choose it as a "common" map, even though we both had the same files installed.

I played plane crash as downloaded in the map pack from the map depot. It was a hotseat game revision 926, and I found that the first player could walk through some of the plane's 1st level walls. I couldn't see through them, but could walk right through. The lighting level was set to 10 I think, and I was testing galactic weapons set. Neat looking map. Just thought you might like the feedback.

Yes, thank you!

Seems like those TFTD maps have more parts that are not quite working yet.

However, I didn't mean hotsetat, but games with other ppl over the net. Because in these, it NEVER appears in the list of common maps.

Might have something to do with the modified TFTD files it uses... I'll check that when I get the time.

How about an underground map that takes place in the subway at different levels, trains would be ... let's say 2 squares wide and the fight would take place in the stations, you could board the trains and go on the other side or fight your way to the opposite station. The last level could have a first level of buildings just so that we could go in the streets too. And just as a real subway station there would be booths and stairs that go both in the station and on the tunnel sidewalks.

Plus it'd be cool to blow up a hole in the pavement that makes a 3 stories high crater with HE hehehe.

Tell me what you think, BTW I won't make this myself, well at least not in a long time.

Edited by nachtwolf

i want an Aztec map with a bunch o big temples and dirt , and i also want a neat catacombs map with a sewer underneath

Ooh, yeah ancient ruins would be awesome! There can be statues where the ancient civilization worshipped the ethereal sun god, or in an even more ironic twist, there could be pictographs of the ancient sectoid civilization being enslaved by their evil human overlords. But still ancient ruins would be cool with alien overtones!

There altready is an aztec map in TFTD, called Mu, and a ruined temple called Atlantis.

They're not being played much, tho, because of some bugs (some things like stairs were done differently in TFTD maps and U2K can't handle that yet).

One could put that in a jungle environment, and fix the "bugs" - bam, new map.

I also thought about a Subway station once, using the plane tiles for making trains.

The problem with such maps (also sewers) is that people seem to prefer open maps where everything can be destroyed.

How about an underground map that takes place in the subway at different levels, trains would be ... let's say 2 squares wide and the fight would take place in the stations, you could board the trains and go on the other side or fight your way to the opposite station. The last level could have a first level of buildings just so that we could go in the streets too. And just as a real subway station there would be booths and stairs that go both in the station and on the tunnel sidewalks.

Plus it'd be cool to blow up a hole in the pavement that makes a 3 stories high crater with HE hehehe.

Tell me what you think, BTW I won't make this myself, well at least not in a long time.

Easily doable.

I also thought about a Subway station once, using the plane tiles for making trains.

The problem with such maps (also sewers) is that people seem to prefer open maps where everything can be destroyed.

People are demolition maniacs.

~~

TFTD City + UFO City + Plane Crash/Skyranger (with custom tiles for doors, etc.) and UFO City Floor Objects.

Easy peasy! :)

Use/change them and create a tileset that the walls and big blocks have a 255 constitution. They won't block explosive damage (it isn't implemented) but they will be indestructible.

I rather thought about making the 3rd level (between street and subway) big blocks that become 2/3 blocks when "destroyed", then 1/3 and then a hole.

So there would be growing craters in the street that eventually punch through.

I already wanted to do that with Normandy terrain, but it would have required filling all the holes under the sloped blocks (ie making three versinos of each).

The problem is that the crater in the street will also appear when they are hit by something from below. Maybe a custom "halfway destroyed" intermediate would be better.

Perhaps if you have the solid block;

(Viewing from the SIDE, rotate this 90 degrees)

[||] (Normal)

}||{ (slightly damaged, crater)

}{ (nearly broken)

The } and { things would be like craters or whatever.

Ooh, yeah ancient ruins would be awesome! There can be statues where the ancient civilization worshipped the ethereal sun god, or in an even more ironic twist, there could be pictographs of the ancient sectoid civilization being enslaved by their evil human overlords.  But still ancient ruins would be cool with alien overtones!

I thought the humans are the slave race to the aliens. :P

Edited by Abyssion

• 2 months later...
Since kills are shown, and you can save replays now, that shouldn't be a common problem. And maybe somebody could make a "stun weapons" set out of the others.

Falling into the prison can be avoided like in real life - with a fence. *g*

I imagine it to be really funny too - trying to steal the other team's stunned people before they can save them, without getting stunned yourself, and getting them back to the prison before they wake up... one strategy would be to make a "throwing chain" like I sometimes did with rockets/ammo. :)

And I just had an idea about a nice feature of the terrain's geometry, but I won't tell yet. ;)

EDIT: Almost forgot - Flying Suits would also be forbidden, of course.

Considering you can "toss bodies" I think there should be like a stairway and well for the map, preventing the player to fall in, but still able to toss the body into the hole. But the pit should be made in a way that it won't hurt the prisoner's fall. That, or let the fall kill the prisoners once they hit ground.

Sounds alot like a jailbreak mod I once played. All you need is a release switch of some sort now.

• 3 weeks later...