XCOMUFO & Xenocide

An Offer Of Donation

Suprore

I made this xcom inspired model/texture over the last few days. Under 600 triangles and on a single 256 (downsized from 512, which I'd send in psd.)

It could use a little more work, but if you guys need an assault rifle I'd be happy to give the model and texture to what I feel is a good cause. It's poly count and texture size should be perfect for a turn based strategy game.

http://i6.tinypic.com/11mb0n8.jpg

Limitations are a little stretching over planar mapped surfaces and that all but the single face around the eject port is mirrored from front to back, so you've limited space to put text and other unique details.

The weapon is heavily inspired by the FN SCAR assault rifle, which is to be adopted by American special forces in the near future.

The camo pattern is an overlay layer, too, so if you just wanted to work from the base lighting and go a different direction with it that should be an option.

Edited by Suprore

Nope, just I am waiting for the Art leader to speak about it... I like the model, however he has to check it internally (mesh speaking to see if it is suitable), and the CTD to check if it adjust to the descriptions for the Assault Rifle, etc..

So, no is not the answer but I do not have an answer to give you right now. I am sure Vaaish will call you back to get the mesh structure for it, and CTD is checking the details of the descriptions.

BTW, you can make that faster taking a wireframe render from left, front, top and perspective cameras.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

It looks nice but the assault rifle model and concept are already complete. all it needs is a texture on it. Edited by Vaaish

I apologize if I came across has harsh earlier; Your rifle is nicely modeled and there are plenty of other items that need to be created for the game if you want to help out.

Hi Suprore!

Thanks for the kind offer and sorry I kept you waiting! I really think this is awesome work you have done there! Now, I'm not sure if it would fit our meshs, but if it does, I think, though we do already have an assault rifle, this could be a nice weapon for v1+. This would of course mean, your model might not see action for some time, but I'm pretty confident CTD can come up with a nice text explaining the need for a second assault rifle model. (In fact I do have half a draft in my head already. ;) )

Now, this is not up to me, and although this might be a little far fetched atm, I would love to have this baby in future versions of Xenocide. :)

Greetings

Mad

Edited by Mad

Indeed, as the project matures, it will be easier for us to incorporate new ideas.

You could:

1) Work with us towards V1.

2) Post in the labs for ideas concerning V1+ (features that COULD be implemented after we reach version1).

Thanks for your interest :D

Hi Suprore!

Thanks for the kind offer and sorry I kept you waiting! I really think this is awesome work you have done there! Now, I'm not sure if it would fit our meshs, but if it does, I think, though we do already have an assault rifle, this could be a nice weapon for v1+. This would of course mean, your model might not see action for some time, but I'm pretty confident CTD can come up with a nice text explaining the need for a second assault rifle model. (In fact I do have half a draft in my head already. ;) )

Now, this is not up to me, and although this might be a little far fetched atm, I would love to have this baby in future versions of Xenocide. :)

Greetings

Mad

You guys do realize that adding an additional weapon is easy (provided we have the graphics for it.) Just need to add an entry to items.xml describing the weapon's properties, an entry to research.xml to put it on the tree, and an entry in graphics.xml to link to the mesh.

But I'm missing the point, which is, we apparently already have an assult rifle, so to speed us towards the v1.0 goal, we need graphics for other objects.

You guys do realize that adding an additional weapon is easy (provided we have the graphics for it.)  Just need to add an entry to items.xml describing the weapon's properties, an entry to research.xml to put it on the tree, and an entry in graphics.xml to link to the mesh.

But I'm missing the point, which is, we apparently already have an assult rifle, so to speed us towards the v1.0 goal, we need graphics for other objects.

Well, yes and no. It is right, it is easy to add another weapon, and I would gladly do so, but the thing is, this weapon needs different statistics, you will have to research it (or at some point it will be available) and so you'll have to give it serious thought wether to use it or not. Now, let's say this weapon will have a higher precision and more bang than the old weapon, but still not as much a the lasers do, but it will be cheaper as those. So you might stick to the advanced rifle. What will this decision of yours do gameplay wise? Will it give you an overwhelming strategic advance so that the game becomes too easy? Or will it just cost oo much for it's "bang" and it would be better not to waste time with it, but if you do the game suddenly becomes incredibly difficult?

To avoid these issues we will release v1 as a game wich will be - gameplay wise - as close to it's spiritual father as possible and will then start to add new things. That way it's much more easy to see and estimate the effect a certain item might have.

Guest Azrael
You guys do realize that adding an additional weapon is easy (provided we have the graphics for it.)  Just need to add an entry to items.xml describing the weapon's properties, an entry to research.xml to put it on the tree, and an entry in graphics.xml to link to the mesh.

Well, yes and no. It is right, it is easy to add another weapon, and I would gladly do so, but the thing is, this weapon needs different statistics, you will have to research it (or at some point it will be available) and so you'll have to give it serious thought wether to use it or not. Now, let's say this weapon will have a higher precision and more bang than the old weapon, but still not as much a the lasers do, but it will be cheaper as those. So you might stick to the advanced rifle. What will this decision of yours do gameplay wise? Will it give you an overwhelming strategic advance so that the game becomes too easy? Or will it just cost oo much for it's "bang" and it would be better not to waste time with it, but if you do the game suddenly becomes incredibly difficult?

To avoid these issues we will release v1 as a game wich will be - gameplay wise - as close to it's spiritual father as possible and will then start to add new things. That way it's much more easy to see and estimate the effect a certain item might have.

Modifying the weapon stats and research tree is so damn easy that there is hardly an issue when adding a weapon, remember Xenocide will be easily and completely moddable and being opensource, we don't really have to worry about the game being completely balanced in what weapons are concerned. :)

OK, how about the following:

We set up a new repository (or directory in the existing one) for art assets that are not quite what are wanted for v1.0, but might be useful either v1.0+, or for people who want to mod the game. And, if Suprore is willing, we add his assult rifle to the new repository.

OK, how about the following:

We set up a new repository (or directory in the existing one) for art assets that are not quite what are wanted for v1.0, but might be useful either v1.0+, or for people who want to mod the game.  And, if Suprore is willing, we add his assult rifle to the new repository.

That would be an SVN equivalent to the "Labs". Sounds good to me. :)

Good model, well balanced, but i have some quest.

1. Where is the trigger :) A gun needs one :P

2. Where is the singel or multi blokade ??

3. Sorry about all of this but, on first screen the "gun" is without this thing to hold a weapon but on the second there is ??

Sorry for my english

I think you may be missing the point of the thread. This isn't requests and critique corner. This artist has donated his work- which is actually quite a nice impression of an FN SCAR, btw- to the project for free. I would liken the above to, perhaps, looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I think you may be missing the point of the thread.  This isn't requests and critique corner.  This artist has donated his work- which is actually quite a nice impression of an FN SCAR, btw- to the project for free.  I would liken the above to, perhaps, looking a gift horse in the mouth.

As an aside, if someone HAD looked a certain wooden horse in the mouth, the outcome of the Trojan war might have been different. :)

Hahaha! :D

I like the way of thinking of both of you. If I may add, the outcome of a conversation is new and sometimes helpful ideas. From this thread, we earned as a project 2 things:

1) The wonderful donation of Suprore

2) The idea of making a "Laboratory-SVN"

That's something nice :)

I think you may be missing the point of the thread.  This isn't requests and critique corner.  This artist has donated his work- which is actually quite a nice impression of an FN SCAR, btw- to the project for free.  I would liken the above to, perhaps, looking a gift horse in the mouth.

As an aside, if someone HAD looked a certain wooden horse in the mouth, the outcome of the Trojan war might have been different. :)

Yeah, all jokes *aside*, I would be pretty offended if I was Suprore. Accept the gift as is. If we use it, we use it. If we don't, we don't. Not being a member of the art dept. anymore, I don't know how much right I have to be disseminating my opinion here, but I think that the usefulness of a labs SVN will be dictated by the usefulness of the content. I don't necessarily think it's a good idea to try to pound in some unplanned content because it looks cool. There is a gestalt that has to be taken into account first, part of which is the oft mentioned 'game balance' concept.

From an artist's point of view, I do like the model, however.

edit: I meant suprore, not anen. It was anen's post I was responding to.

Edited by fux0r666

Yeah, all jokes *aside*, I would be pretty offended if I was anen. Accept the gift as is. If we use it, we use it. If we don't, we don't. Not being a member of the art dept. anymore, I don't know how much right I have to be disseminating my opinion here, but I think that the usefulness of a labs SVN will be dictated by the usefulness of the content. I don't necessarily think it's a good idea to try to pound in some unplanned content because it looks cool. There is a gestalt that has to be taken into account first, part of which is the oft mentioned 'game balance' concept.

From an artist's point of view, I do like the model, however.

OK, just so we're clear, I think Suprore's model is very nice, and would like to find a use for it. That's why I proposed the lab SVN. My comment about the Horse was more an observation that folk sayings need to be taken with a grain of salt. (especially when they contradict each other.) For example:

1. a Many hands make light work.

1.b Too many cooks spoil the broth.

2.a A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

2.b Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

3.a Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

3.b Beware of greeks bearing gifts.

ok people, I think we have elaborated this more than enough. Anen's post might not have been adequate, but I think noone has understood his comment as opinion of a xenocide developer. So there is no need for anyone to start a full fledged discussion about all this.

Edit: oh, and as CTD guy I propose the following: It's an electronic trigger. working with a light barrier or a electrostatic sensor. Or even a fingerprint sensor. :)

Edited by Mad

Moved some pretty off-topic posts to the patio. Please let's stick to topic here. Thanks :)

Edit: One (half ;) ) constructive post went to the patio too. Sorry for that.

Quoted from the patio:

ok people, I think we have elaborated this more than enough. Anen's post might not have been adequate, but I think noone has understood his comment as opinion of a xenocide developer. So there is no need for anyone to start a full fledged discussion about all this.

Edit: oh, and as CTD guy I propose the following: It's an electronic trigger. working with a light barrier or a electrostatic sensor. Or even a fingerprint sensor. :)

I propose this: no one is going to get angry for it not having a trigger, if the model is good, we should use it, if not, we put it as a plus for whoever wants to use it.

In game models are not going to show this much detail for players to notice the lack of trigger anyway.

Edited by Mad

I editted my original post a bit because I was responding to anen but talking about suprore. I mixed up the names... suffice it to say that what I was saying made no sense at all as it was written.

To clarify my secondary point, I like the idea of a labs svn, but I think that its contents shouldn't become the primary motivation for further development.. The usefulness of a labs SVN is dependent on the sort of content that it contains, but it would be a little premature to decide that we need a second assault rifle simply because we have a cool model waiting to be used.

I think it would be cool to design in a certain modicum of customizability. ...so that the end user, with a little practice, could substitute out the graphical representations of the rifle for another rifle (or any other) model. ...a My PX sort of thing.

[...]To clarify my secondary point, I like the idea of a labs svn, but I think that its contents shouldn't become the primary motivation for further development..  The usefulness of a labs SVN is dependent on the sort of content that it contains, but it would be a little premature to decide that we need a second assault rifle simply because we have a cool model waiting to be used.

Well, as I see it there is no problem with thinking a little in the future. I think it would be a good thing to have more than one assault rifle (just look at other games that are similar). It adds some "color" :) But you are right. This shouldn't be a primary motivation. But I don't see that this happened here. We were just playing around with our "new toy" suprore gave us. Things like this can allow people to have fun with PX again. And fun is what it's all about.

• 2 weeks later...
Well. Technically I never got the model from him... So I wouldnt count on it.

Greetings

Red Knight

Honestly, I forgot about it altogether, sorry. I'll get it to you today if I can.

That was me, sorry.

However, it appears the texture is gone. :( I can add a trigger and give you guys the uvw mapped mode if you want, or just leave it. Sorry. :(

Edited by Suprore

However, it appears the texture is gone.  :(  I can add a trigger and give you guys the uvw mapped mode if you want, or just leave it. Sorry. :(

We would appreciate this very much! Thanks a lot! :)

Edited by Mad

However, it appears the texture is gone.  :(  I can add a trigger and give you guys the uvw mapped mode if you want, or just leave it. Sorry. :(

We would appreciate this very much! Thanks a lot! :)

Okay, so email model without texture to red knight?

Yes, please! :)