j'ordos

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a question about the "Heavy Laser" mod:

It always shows 80% accuracy on burst shot, and 60% accuracy on full auto. Does this mean that no matter who uses it, it will always have the same accuracy? And that it doesn't matter whether you have a second item in your other hand? Or how does it work?

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, the latest (more than a few months ago) extender edition has the double click feature on the tactical mission screen to move around soldiers. This is one of THE best things ever. No more moving your troops by mistake (at least making it very hard to do so) by accidentally clicking the mouse. Edited by oldfan

By the way, the latest (more than a few months ago) extender edition has the double click feature on the tactical mission screen to move around soldiers. This is one of THE best things ever. No more moving your troops by mistake (at least making it very hard to do so) by accidentally clicking the mouse.

Agreed, it has saved me countless times from raging or save-loading.

By the way, the latest (more than a few months ago) extender edition has the double click feature on the tactical mission screen to move around soldiers. This is one of THE best things ever. No more moving your troops by mistake (at least making it very hard to do so) by accidentally clicking the mouse.

Agreed, it has saved me countless times from raging or save-loading.

I don't save-load. I rage! OMG

Stupid super soldier walking over proximity mine is the worst.

Did anyone ever suffer wounds without realizing it? That can be annoying! All of the sudden one of your troops either dies or falls unconscious. And if you eventually notice it, you realize that had you healed the soldier earlier, he would not spend a month in the infirmary.

Perhaps there should be a mod which makes a popup (similar to "snakeman got blasted") which informs you that a soldier has fatal wounds. This can also be a recurring popup each turn (until the soldier(s) is healed or dies).

Was the soldier shot/blasted or did the wounds show up magically?

Alien tried to take a shot at my HWP and missed it and it hit somebody behind. I have observed several times of a weird behavior which I think is a bug. If you have a soldier standing right on the edge of the screen and an alien shoots somebody and misses, the shot is not "tracked" (screen scroll) and you don't hear any sound effects of an actual hit. Though it can be useful to have such popup screens regardless, as a reminder.

I don't like when that happens either. I don't remember, but I think you can't see fatal wounds unless you do into the soldier's stat screen. It might be helpful to display wounds on the soldiers health bar in the main HUD, in the same way that stun damage is done, maybe in another color. I don't know if that is possible though for Seb76 to do.

Erm... sorry to ask a question here, but...

I'm using Seb's extender (latest version), and i have the psx cd of Xcom, but somehow i can't get the music to work. I placed apply=1, and navigated the disk drive to the correct drive (disk drive I), but i don't have the music working... can someone give me a step-by-step to do it?

Hi Krixie,

You did put apply to 1, but did you also change the source?

Source=PSX CD

HTH,

Seb

Erm... sorry to ask a question here, but...

I'm using Seb's extender (latest version), and i have the psx cd of Xcom, but somehow i can't get the music to work. I placed apply=1, and navigated the disk drive to the correct drive (disk drive I), but i don't have the music working... can someone give me a step-by-step to do it?

X-Com UFO Extender is really great but i have several problems i cannot solve

1) How to contact the author? Where to ask questions? I couldnt find any contact information anywhere nor a place to ask questions (i hope this place isnt too wrong)

2) Alot of problems with mp3 playback

a) What is the "you need WMP" for mp3 exactly? I have Win 7, with WMP installed and working, but the mp3 playback will crash my game.

If i attempt either UFO Extender mp3 playback (followed all instructions and dled and copied all files) or playback via "sound voice fix" i downloaded, which does it with mp3play.dll (requiring to put files into sound and rename them same to the game midis), the game will crash when it reaches the menu (after language select). If i use UFO Extend i wont even see the menu, if i use the mp3play.dll, i will but still crash. I think that must be because i dont have the "WMP" needed but the Win 7's WMP. Or something else?

How can i fix the mp3 playback? Because having to dl an image of x-com ufo from psx isnt the very well solution (extra 700 mb)...

B) Yes, the cd option of playing music works fine for me. I own the original pcx game but the problem i want to play ufo on my small tablet pc which has no cd so i'd have to dl a torrent or rip a cd thats extra hd space my tablet pc might just lack...

3) Not understnading how to go "stretched fullscreen" or "windowed mode". People talk about it but they never point to the values you must set in ini. How do i run the game fullscreen in full resolution (so my mouse wont go off boundaries) or how do i run the game windowed?

4) The "cursor fix" makes cursor VERY slow, is there a way to change that?

Thanks for the author for the EXTREMELY GREAT TOOL HE MADE and sorry if i'm posting questions in the wrong topic

Edited by Istrebitel

Hi,

The mod is self contained, you don't need others for e.g. using mp3 music. Using anything else but xcomutils along with the loader is not supported.

You can find information on my page: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Seb76

Windowed mode is enabled through the "D3D" and "D3D Windowed" settings.

Aspect ratio correction is done with the "Screen Ratio" one.

HTH,

Seb

X-Com UFO Extender is really great but i have several problems i cannot solve

1) How to contact the author? Where to ask questions? I couldnt find any contact information anywhere nor a place to ask questions (i hope this place isnt too wrong)

2) Alot of problems with mp3 playback

a) What is the "you need WMP" for mp3 exactly? I have Win 7, with WMP installed and working, but the mp3 playback will crash my game.

If i attempt either UFO Extender mp3 playback (followed all instructions and dled and copied all files) or playback via "sound voice fix" i downloaded, which does it with mp3play.dll (requiring to put files into sound and rename them same to the game midis), the game will crash when it reaches the menu (after language select). If i use UFO Extend i wont even see the menu, if i use the mp3play.dll, i will but still crash. I think that must be because i dont have the "WMP" needed but the Win 7's WMP. Or something else?

How can i fix the mp3 playback? Because having to dl an image of x-com ufo from psx isnt the very well solution (extra 700 mb)...

B) Yes, the cd option of playing music works fine for me. I own the original pcx game but the problem i want to play ufo on my small tablet pc which has no cd so i'd have to dl a torrent or rip a cd thats extra hd space my tablet pc might just lack...

3) Not understnading how to go "stretched fullscreen" or "windowed mode". People talk about it but they never point to the values you must set in ini. How do i run the game fullscreen in full resolution (so my mouse wont go off boundaries) or how do i run the game windowed?

4) The "cursor fix" makes cursor VERY slow, is there a way to change that?

Thanks for the author for the EXTREMELY GREAT TOOL HE MADE and sorry if i'm posting questions in the wrong topic

Edited by Seb76

I'd really appreciate any help. It was great at first, but now the X-Com is kinda unplayable. (http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242034894) It started with some bugs, then more bugs, and now it will just crash, whatever i do...

Do you still have problems if you start a game from scratch? It looks like your savegames a corrupted from the look of your symptoms.

But if i start a new game from scratch, my new game will get corrupted as well eventually?

Its like, just, it feels very bad not being able to finish the game you work towards for some days of hard playing.... :(

I started a new game now, even more, i deleted the ufo folder altogether, unzipped the clean install (i zipped the folder that installs to save installtion time), then applied your loader and xcomutils. So far nothing, except that UFO activity is in millions, so the graphs (both country and continent) are useless (and it is so from day one! and some countries already have "minus" values in year of 1998, like, the line of some countries is "broken" in some months)

I have only one clue now. I followed the ufopaedia.org guide when first installing your mod. That is, i downloaded a premade INI file. It seems that the ini file was made for previous versions of your loader, since it didnt have options (alot of them, for example, i didnt have neither "clip mouse", nor "windowed mode"). Could this make your loader go "crazy"? What happens if the ini is missing some entries?

Also, since i followed the guide, i had installed modified exe (for "old screams" from dos). Then i found out that xcomutils can replace whole sound set altogether (not only screams). I did that via xcomutils and now my sounds were broken (like, laser impact would sound like small launcher, doors of the small scouts would open with sound of warehouse doors, unit walking sound would play "backwards"). I though it was because old screams exe file was said to "accomodate for new offsets of new sounds". So i copied my saves, and reinstalled the game without the voices fix. Could that corrupt the save game? I dont know...

Still, did you never encounter a bug like that? The ufo's with "psionic skill" as their size that corrupt the globe and dont ever fly away? Maybe if i'd attach a savegame file, you could see what's wrong? I mean, debug what happens (i think i still have a save where the game crash is immenent, and about 5 of buggy ufos already on the globe) also i have the save before appearance of first buggy ufo, could you see what causes it to spawn?

PS: attached, in case you could look into it.

GAME 1 is the immenent crash. You can see buggy ufos all around the globe. go 1 day, skip messages of research, not enough money to produce laser cannons, and then alot of building complete messages, and then, after that, it will crash with 0xc0000005.

GAME 8 is the first encounter of the bug. Lift off from the tactical mission, and skip messages, around 16 day of the month (around 3-4 days later than the save) the buggy ufo will appear. Sometimes first a small normal one will, but eventually, the buggy shows up.

buggy_saves.zip

When installing Mok's old sounds patch you should not use the new exe that comes with it if you intend to use UFO extender. Just copy the SOUND folder from it and you will have your old sounds back. I can't remember xcomutil being able to replace sound sets, is that a new feature?

And using an old version of the UFO extender ini file is probably a bad idea too, just get the latest version of the extender and don't get that custom config file this time.

Yes in 9.7 latest beta there is, BUT, its hidden :) When you run the setup for the first time, it wont show the option, but on the second time, the option will appear. it is called "Do you want to use old geoscape/battlescape sounds?" and it comes before interceptor transport and skyranger hardpoint patches. So you need to run setup, then run it again, and those sounds are LOVELY :)

--

But Mok's sounds patch says "you need new exe to use the new sound's offsets". Anyway, could playing (for a brief moment of about a month) on a Mok'exe +Seb'extender corrupt my game so later the bug would start to happen in normal'exe +Seb'extender scenario?

--

If entries are defaulted, this must be not the case then...

• 1 month later...
Just a quick question.

On my HTPC I'm getting the following crash error when attempting to use Extender's MP3 feature.

"XCOM crashed at 0x77E73887 with error 0xE06D7363"

It crashes at the exact moment the first MP3 would be played.

I've tried resolving the problem on my own. I'm fairly certain it's because the HTPC is using antiquated Windows XP with SP1. To update it is going to cause other problems with how I've set it up. Can anyone confirm that MP3 music is tied to some .net3+/SP 2+ features? If not I can continue looking elsewhere to fix the issue. The Extender work perfectly with MP3 the feature disabled.

I have the same problem, playing on Windows XP with SP3 and latest Windows Media Player installed.

When I turn MP3 Play on, it crashes when they are supposed to play with following error log.

"xcom crashed at 0x7C812AFB with error 0xE06D7363"

Any information on how to solve this? I would love to have the Ufo MP3 Music to the game. I even own the original PSX release, though havent tried it with the CD yet, since I don't have it here.

Everything else works fine, so thanx for the great work!

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded to a new system with Windows 7 64 bit.

Enabled these settings:

HQ4x=1

D3D=1

D3D Windowed=1

Works fine! But the size of the screen is a postage stamp (on 1920x1080) but I can resize it by dragging the bottom right corner. The bad thing is that I wish it can auto scale the screen.

Seb, can you add regular 2x, 3x, 4x + HQ 2x, HQ 3x to your mod and have it auto change the window screen size to whatever it was set at?

I was using D3DWindow to fix the target resolution before.

• 7 months later...
Hello, I recently tried to install your mod, but it doesn't seem to work. Whenever I use UFOloader, regardless of what mods are installed, there's a black screen, I go back to the desktop, and after a few seconds I go into the intro, regardless of whether I specify to skip it. Then, the game crashes with this error: 'XCOM crashed at 0x100040FA with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x100040FA.' Is there anything that can help?

• 2 weeks later...

Seb76, today, I installed your Extender.

HOLY CRAP!!!....You are .... GOD! =b

The new aspect, the features, etc, all is now great.

The only problem I get are "the cursor out of the screen" and the "geoscape clock speed". Maybe these could be fixed someday, but are only minor problems

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
love this mod. It force me to have few men who have less than 50 energy to be medics to stimulate the heavy laser's 8 rounds per full auto. It is much more fun if you set HL damage to 255, then it will open all the wall and set new road and new tactic to assault bases and ships. Just want to play ufoe in window mode, cause full screen mess up my window folders setting. well, one can not have it all, but just hope someone can mod it. Seb, thanks.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I'm using the extender, and it is awesome.

But I sense that the screen ratio is off, square tiles seem wider than they should be.

My screen is 16:9. I was wondering how I get the screen ratio on my 1920 x 1080 screen to display squares as proper squares. :-)

I have tried fiddling with the screen ratio parameter, but it appears to do nothing.

I run in full screen.

Anyone?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I want to first say great work with the extender seb, it makes this old ame playable once again. But that is where my problem is, I can't seem to get the UFOExtender working again after taking a break from the game for 2 months, I used this method I found on steam before and I am trying to use it again but its giving me issues.

Heres the forum link for the setup I use: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530

And heres my post on that forum that basically explains my situation:

Okay so, after playing this game for a few months straight and giving it a break for about 2 months, I recently tried reinstalling XCOM:EU and downloading the UFOExtender patch to fix a lot of the issues, etc etc.

Well I cant seem to get the damn UFOExtender to work at all, months ago when I first used it, I had zero problems and it ran perfectly, never crashed on me or anything, now when I try to run it I get this error "XCOM crashed at 0x635C7370 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x635C7370" right from the start, through steam and through loading it from the steam folder, even as administrator and I tried setting it to compatability mod from win95 to win Vist SP2. I have tried disabling any program that uses my audio as well, I read somewhere that it can cause an error like this, but it didnt work either.

I have redone the steps on the first post about six dozen times by now, copy-pasted and cut-pasting, even uninstalled the C++ 2008 program and reinstalled it, nothing seems to work. So seeing how I have not changed anything on my computer besides insalling a few other games through steam, the only thing that has changed since I last played was the UFOExtender program, so I am assuming that its the cause of this error.

I run on Win7 64-bit OS, its the same OS I used when I first played with the UFOExtender when it gave me no problems as well.

If anyone has any suggestions or known fixes for this, I would be greatly appreciative because I do enjoy this game very much and it makes me sad that I am unable to play it once more.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm using the extender, and it is awesome.

But I sense that the screen ratio is off, square tiles seem wider than they should be.

My screen is 16:9. I was wondering how I get the screen ratio on my 1920 x 1080 screen to display squares as proper squares. :-)

I have tried fiddling with the screen ratio parameter, but it appears to do nothing.

I run in full screen.

Anyone?

Are you running D3D and what value are you setting the ratio? The higher the number the more vertically stretched the display should be.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, my apologies in case I should have posted this in a new thread instead of this; but since it's the one about it I'm posting.

I've thought to test the extender in my Steam game, to play it after my current emulator game with xcomutils is done, as I found out this had a few neat things of interest. And it is indeed a great mod!. There are two settings I don't see in my file, oneis the TFTD doors and the other is the reordering soldiers in craft.

I've tried adding the lines "TFTD Doors=1" and "Reorder Soldiers In Crafts=1". The first I forgot to test in the mission I ran to do that (man, this game is too immersive :P) but the second doesn't work. If I understand the ufopaedia article right, I'm supposed to hold the left mouse button for a while and then the soldier will go to the top or the bottom in the craft crew list; but when I do that all happens is that when I release after more than a second, I'm sent to the soldier's stats screen and he stays in the same place of the list.

Thanks in advance.

de-equip useful powerful things from a craft and put it on another craft

True. I do it by buying a crap weapon (stingray lunchers) and rearm the sold craft with this and then sell. Weird is, that after the endless suplies and engineer hours went to craft, it "sell" for 0 - nada - zip - zero!

That is kinda weird. It need a spare hangar and many and many hours to produce firestorm, lighting or avenger and the sale price is then way off...

Anyway, since the Seb76 UFO extender works well for me, I would like to report something that I call "research bug".

When having multiple bases, then it seems that the labs did not share the progress together. This is crazy, because they must be linked and sharing the research together (or even let all these labs work on one project to speed up things). The current situation is, that at the time the lab is build, from that time it take (presumably from the first base/lab) the list of projects to research. That way when later the research in main base is done, the other bases STILL list many and many researchs to do, even researching things already found, for example Psi-Lab:

http://s8.postimage.org/kry640rc5/research_bug_1.png

...when it is long time build:

http://s15.postimage.org/5vp45z1cr/research_bug_2.png

That did not make sense at all and somebody should put a stop to this madness. It is true, that other bases can't research artefacts or aliens that they did not have in store, but that is a exception. General rule should be that research is shared and when one lab finish it, it must end in all others. (erase from list and end if already researched).

Futhermore general researchs should be joined, in short when 10 scientist work on one case in 4 bases, then it should be as 40 scientist are solving the problem...

It is possible?

PS. some cool midi music I use for UFO - http://rapidshare.co...ative music.zip

(i like much the The Runaway one)

PS. included save that well demonstrage the bug on all others that Europe base are many things to research, while all research are already done...

UFO research bug GAME_1.zip

Edited by trodas