XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Terror Sites

Deimos

An idea I've been toying around with fora while. Terror sites in the original for me usually originated in certain cities, like Novosobirsk, Seol, Capetown and so on. How about instead of randomly generating terrain for terror sites why don't we model a section on either our home cities or a city you like. Yeah I realise that there would be a bias towards the states which is why I said a city you like. For me I could get hold of quite a lot of detailled info on both Nottingham and Derby which are close to me and there are some excellent potential terror sites available. I'm sure that everyone on the project knows of a place and can get detailled pictures of buildings for that area and we could have terror sites modelled on real locations.

I know it sounds a bit of wishful thinking but I don't think it'd be that much more work than modelling random buildings. We'd create the models as usual and skin them using textures based of the picture references form the terror site.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Deimos, how quickly we forgive and forget! Remember this thread? Specifically the first post I made? :D Hmmm, and here we are talking about it again... he he!

As you might suspect, I agree with having different looking buildings based on where the battle takes place. The wall chunks I made can be pieced together to form the basic boxes, but there's a lot of special features that need to be modeled to make some really nice places that stand out.

A nice effect that could be done for asian buildings would be to have a little translucense in the walls, simulating the fabric/paper walls. It would be really nice to toss a flare into a building, then see shadows moving inside the building as units walk by.

Hey -

I like the idea..but how big are these terror sites going to be?! I thought the size in the original was very managable, but I would have actually liked them a good bit larger on harder levels. I always thought they were a little too small and orderly for a true "terror" attack. Are we eventually, in post v1.0, going to make them larger? Or since its sort of a random generation, perhaps it could be player preference? Or just blatanelty random, with a larger accent on harder levels?

I like the idea of modelling specific to location, but I guess thats up to the indivuals that want to do it. It seems like a lot of work! But if, as you say, its not...then im all for it.

Gold

How about really tall buildings in the cities? In original game, it always looked like terror sites happen in some rural towns. I would like to have like 10 store building and put a sniper on the roof :)

Mammy -

I like that idea...it would be a very interesting touch. It would also add a HUGE tactical element. For instance, its much harder to spot a Sectiod with a blaster on the 8th floor than the second, plus how would the Battlescape actually view these tall buildings. Also, using the standard TU sytem, clearing a building could take ages...but all the same, I like the idea. Makes things more realistic. But perhaps difficult to implement?

Gold

Guest blaa

I'd like see some map elements that look like Tuen Mun in Hong Kong SAR. Do we have in Hong Kong folks in our community?

More than that, perhaps like we plan for soldiers, cities should have a regional look to them.

Also why do they always have to be cities. Remember TFTD had the ocean liner missions. Whilst I thought the Ocean liner missions sucked I think it might be fun to have battles at truckstops and shopping malls like with (warning: shameless self promotion immenant) that basic map editor.

Heh, funnily enough the variation was exactly what I was thinking of. I remember reading somewhere that someone wanted to see a terror mission in a skyscraper. I thought that would be an awsome idea along with truck stops and other not so predictable places for a terror mission.

I was thinking we could keep the random generaion for buildings and terrain for the normal missions and have the terror zones modelled on real locations. That way it would connect people psychologically more to the game if they reckognize the place they're fighting for or it looks like a real place.

I think for v1.0 at least we should stick with what we know works, I thought that terror missions were always a good size, maybe a bit easy later on in the game when the player has the avenger and can put lots of heavily armed and armoured troops on the ground but for the skyranger they're perfect.

Maybe to start with we have the normal sized terror zones to begin with and later in the game, the aliens up the scale of their attacks and go for things like skyscrapers and more heavily populated areas, which would change the dynamic of the game later on.

However as soon as I can I never allow terror ships to land so I don't get to do terror missions late in the game.

Why do I think that building a pregenerated terror zone won't be that much more work?

Well seeing as we have to build up a load of buildings for the random generator for normal missions we're going to have lots of textures already available whaich could and should be reused. The main amound to work is going to be in actually building the models and terrain for the zone. For this lots of reference pictures are going to be needed. We're going to need those anyway for Bruenor's idea for buildings so it's not that much extra to take photos of an area instead of just one building.

Actually building things like a skyscraper for a terror zone wouldn't be that much work as the basic layout would be pretty much the same for every level, so we'd only have to build four or five modules with different layouts for offices and so on for that to work. We'd need office style furniture anyway in the other areas of the game so they'd get reused in a skyscraper too.

The biggest amount of work would I think be in collecting the data for the terror zones as it means actually going out, getting a map (for street layout) and photographing buildings for the modellers to build.

Bruenor mentioned an imprtant point to me, that for testing purposes it'd be a good idea to have a prebuilt place to test out battlescape if we don't have the random terrain generator working. I was thinking along the features list and the 'cool' factor of actually fighting in the streets of a real place.

I know some awsome spots that would make really good terror zones that aren't the traditional layout people would be expecting for a terror zone. One of the places I'm thinking of is the outskirts of a shopping area with an open car park and a cool closed in area with stairs and a square with shops. A real tactical challenge, yet mucho fun :)

Edited by Deimos

Hey -

I love it...but...in the politically charged atmosphere here in the US of A...we might be wise to choose locations for "terror attacks" carefully. I know it sounds like a load of bull...but you've all heard the horror stories as well I assume (about over-conservative ameri-nazies going to war on video games in the US).

Personally, I think it would be real sweet to do real locations. Plus, maps and satellite imagery shouldnt be TO difficult to come by of the quality we want.

Gold

Which is why I said interesting sites rather than politically sensitive sites. It'd be daft to model places like the Whitehouse or important places. In my original post I said local areas. Looking at it from a game perspective the aliens never went high profile targets, the reason the terror attacks IMHO went for the rural areas was becasue they could get away with it with minimal retalliation from the authorities (obviously they never counted on xcom :))

The kind of people that'll be playing will be able to differenciate between reality and fantasy unlike the media who like to whip up these kind of frenzies in the great unwashed. If we cowtow to every fringe groups' policies and fears we'll have the most politically correct game ever made (and it'll be crap to boot). Video games have been the scapegoat for every nut with a pen to get on their soapbox and rant on about. I find it pitiful that the people that hunt down these scapegoats are so hypocritical and have much bigger skeletons in their closets to hide behind these accusations.

Also I'm sure there are much better candidates for the lunatic fringe to wet themselves all over.

I think everyone here is sensible enough to realise that it would be wrong to model up something sensitive building wise. Truck stops in the states aren't going to be a prioity for the lunatic fringe to get all sweaty about.

As far as I can remember there weren't many terror sites in the US in the original game so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

"Little did the aliens know, what they were getting themselves into when they planned the terror strike on south central LA..." Once we have interactive civs, I could see showing up to a site and all the aliens have been gunned down by the locals! :devillaugh: I agree that if someone is so sensitive to a minor feature like terror site location that they protest, they should seek medical help-it's a game. It's one thing to make a game where you try to fly planes into skyscrapers as a combat tactic, another to blast apart aliens that happen to attack people in the streets of New York.

The only issue I can see relevent to that is how the engine will handle gravity, if you were to take out an entire floor in a building, does the whole thing collapse? If the terror mission were in the middle of a skyscraper, that could be bad. I doubt aliens would pin themselves into such an area anyway. I like the idea of a building assault though, so just make it a 4-5 story structure with the surrounding street, and if you take out enough of a floor, everything above collapses on top of it. Damage calculations would determine if more damage is done, perhaps collapsing the entire building. Something to consider when using that blaster bomb...

Perhaps buidling damage could be calculated into your score for the missions? Say every 1000 points of damage subtracts points from your score, to reflect the effect of just blowing everything up when rescuing people?

Guest drewid

Big buildings wouldn't change the game dynamic ( a terror site is a terror site) so they would be cool.

Photographing textures - We should be doing that anyhow.

By The Way, Photographing the textures under variable light conditions cost "the Getaway" a world of pain.

Here is a quote from gamasutra

"In theory, building the sets for The Getaway is incredibly straightforward. We go out in teams of two and shoot the pictures one street at a time. The order of development follows game-play, level order closely so the map grows with the game. Our main enemy is the weather. We can't shoot if it has been raining as all the buildings are wet and stained, we can't shoot in the sunshine because the artists then have to spend forever removing shadows from their textures. Luckily for us, London is a particularly gray and miserable place so the opportunity for a drab overcast day, ideal for photography, is always around the corner. We have only once come close to running out of source pictures and that was a very scary few days as the drive started to run dry. So now, with so many artists requiring material all the time, we now make sure that we always have at least 2 weeks of photography taken in advance.

The essential thing is that each artist learn how to take a good picture, this isn't just a case of getting aligned straight on, there are other useful skills:

Don't forget your reference. When you return to the office you will not remember exactly how all those pictures fit together to make up a building so take a reference shot, or better still, some video.

Don't forget to take more than you need. Extra shots will always come in handy, even if you don't use them someone else might.

Don't worry about being laughed at. Every artist on The Getaway needs to get used to being pointed at while photographing the City. While all the rest of the tourists snap the horse-guards parade, you will be taking pictures of walls, the floor, etc.

Try to avoid getting cars, people and your own reflection in the image. However inflated the artist's ego we don't want to see the photographer in the final texture.

Stay out of trouble. The Getaway is set in some of the worst parts of the city, the more authentic and sleazy the area the more careful you need to be, especially when you get out the camera. So far, somehow we've just about managed to avoid any real trouble although we've had a few very near misses. We've been shouted at by sleazy Soho shop owners. Told off by Ferrari drivers. Chased away while photographing sex shops. Threatened by security guards and bouncers. Almost mugged for the cameras twice. Not to mention the first time a work experience kid went out to take photographs alone and was confronted by a Soho madam who offered to take the camera in exchange for three girls. I believe the sales pitch was "one white, one black and one Chinese… and they're all clean." Welcome to The Getaway.

"

(They don't mention that they had taken most of the photo's before they noticed the thing with the weather).

oops

Just one of a huge number of Getaway nightmare stories.

Like the coder who insisted on basing the floor plan on a square grid rather than following the line of the streets, which meant that some building had corners sticking into the next square, which was a seperate model, often being worked on by a different artist, nor the rolex watches and armani suits, bought for reference, which evaporated over the course of the project. <_<

Anyhow back to topic. If we want to use models and textures between continents the all the photo textures should be taken on grey days. If we are doing different textures for different areas the different weather should be OK.

So sunny textures with shadows in Spain would be OK. as long as all of the Spanish textures are taken under the same lighting conditions.

I think that the size issue Vs. Battle time is what the formula should come down to. We don't want to go too large, because the fun factor goes down if you spend far too long on a single mission. I thik it is important that you end missions and touch base-so to speak- with your facilites and the UFO map/research etc. The largest buildings, IMO, should be no taller than 4 stories, maybe 5 if the 5th floor is small (bell tower or radio tower etc.)

The customized buildings for the area is a good idea-but texture assest is really what this is about- Maybe not model specific buildings (although thatd definetaly be very cool) but have the feel of italy, or the look of downtown new york.

I think that a good thing to include is the ship that the aliens are using-on the map. Where did they land? This wasn't addressed in the original, I think that having specific ships for terror assaults would be a good idea. Maybe have people on board thatve been taken prisoner etc. Also I think that the area shoulnd' look brand new when you get there. The guys are in the air for hours before they arrive-shouldn't a battle have ensued?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll say this now, actual architecture of asian buildings, especially the old castles, shrines, and buddhist temples are quite hard to make. I do have a book on Japanese architecture and it looks quite complicated. It's called "What is JAPANESE ARCHITECTURE?" by Kazuo Nishi and Kazuo Hozumi, and it'd be the first place a modeler should look if they want one done.

-Jecrell

pooply makes some good points there. We should be able to take relatively generic building parts and texture a majority of cultures onto them. While not perfect for everything, we should be able to make a majority of what we need that way. Custom models for details should be kept to a minimum IMO, as that increases the size of the program. But there will be needed exceptions of course.

Newb making a couple additions in an area in which he has no expertise:

I agree, we don't need to go out and photograph downtown Madrid. That's way too much work. Also, textures gleaned from ACTUAL pictures of REAL buildings are just going to make the aliens and x-com guys in shiny armor look FAKE, as well as making the game look wierd and surreal. In addition, if we are going to base it on photos, we definitely need to NOT get shadows, because then you have to not only shade the texture for a night mission, but remove all those pretty shadows, as well. I say, take a couple pictures (or better yet just search google for "Madrid") for ideas, but don't transfer anything directly to textures. That said, I live in Eugene, Oregon, and it's grey nine months out of the year. There's also a nice little downtown open air market. For what it's worth.

Guest blaa
Which is why I said interesting sites rather than politically sensitive sites. It'd be daft to model places like the Whitehouse or important places.

Okay, I 've just tried the game "Vice City", as far as I'm concerned this is a non-issue. You want sectoids blasting the White House, go ahead.

i like the idea of diffrent types of terror sites, like in terror from the deep (islands, harbors, cargo ships, cruise ships, those pesky alien citys).

Ideas could be:

1) 2-4 skyskrapers, with the troop transporter at the top of the building, and perhaps the alien ship on another one?

If you destroy a building with some blaster bomb, eg, and the building colapse, the entire building dissapears, killing anyone inside. If it is the building with the troop transport, you lose. Also, it would weaken the remaining structures. It would of cause cost money, if you destroy a building. Aliens should NOT CARRY BLASTERS on this mission.

2)Like the normal battlescape.

3) It would be cool if there would be a recovery of a shot down 747, and you have to save the remaining civilians.

4) A highway perhaps? with lots of broken cars, and the alien UFO in the middle of it. Also surroundings could be playable? Surviving civilians from the "car crash" would be all arround

4) A highway perhaps? with lots of broken cars, and the alien UFO in the middle of it. Also surroundings could be playable? Surviving civilians from the "car crash" would be all arround

Imagine the results with a Snakeman Terror missions...Chyrsallids galore! But I agree, there were never near enough civilians in the original. I think it was probably an issue with what hardware cold support, so hopefully that won't be an issue now?

Also, and this should go for all combat, the terrain should be realistically destructable. You take out a bottom floor, the tope ones collapse, and debris oes into the surrounding area. Now there is more cover (for you and them), as well as changing the tactical situation because movement is probably blocked in some places. Another example, you shoot the bottom of a tree, the top falls over and becomes an obstacle.

Lastly, I also think that soldiers and aliens should NOT be invinsibe to falling debris, If they have the bad luck t get hit by a peice, they get injured...a big enough peice and they get killed. That ould be much more realistic, and I even think fun.

If any programmers are following this thread, will something like this be implemented?

Gold

It would be very hard to input that, because then every little piece of wall would be a seperate piece, if it would breake up as in real-life.

Instand, we could like in Half-life, have "gips", that when you shoot at an object, and it is destroyed, it would shoot gips arround, like if it is a vent you destroy, the game loads the ventgibs.mdl. This could be implanted for walls and such, but for trees, we need something else.

About the highway, most of the civilians would ofcause have died in the crash :devillaugh:, what is airbags, and safety belts agenst the alien terror ships plasma cannons??? :devillaugh:

Hehe, victums of this terror type blames the foggy weather! :devillaugh:

"Also, and this should go for all combat, the terrain should be realistically destructable.  You take out a bottom floor, the tope ones collapse, and debris oes into the surrounding area. " Now there is more cover (for you and them), as well as changing the tactical situation because movement is probably blocked in some places.  Another example, you shoot the bottom of a tree, the top falls over and becomes an obstacle.

Gold"

It sure would be cool but didn't all agree that the collapsing buildings etc. Would be an v.1+ issue?

i like the idea of diffrent types of terror sites, like in terror from the deep (islands, harbors, cargo ships, cruise ships, those pesky alien citys).

Ideas could be:

1) 2-4 skyskrapers, with the troop transporter at the top of the building, and perhaps the alien ship on another one?

Well I really loved the skyskraper-idea.. I have a small picture for it, plz don't mind the quality, it's just for an example.. Here is some thoughts..

1. In night mission there would be an huge x-com halogen light

2. One building is captured by aliens, the other one is controlled by x-com

3. Maybe it wouldn't even be possible to get on the other building?

4. Or if you could get to other building, there would be bridges and stuff.

5. The range between shouldn't be too great. = possible to throw grenades and SEE the aliens of course.

Impossible to do or otherwise a lame idea? I think it's great :rock:

Here's the picture I forgot from the previous post.. Maybe some moderator could put these together?

sky1.tif

Also why do they always have to be cities. Remember TFTD had the ocean liner missions. Whilst I thought the Ocean liner missions sucked I think it might be fun to have battles at truckstops and shopping malls like with (warning: shameless self promotion immenant) that basic map editor.

As Cool as Cities would be, Why not a few Terror missions (With a smaller ship) In a Trailer Park? Just for the comic value alone, that would be worth it.

about skyscrapers, for gameplay, i do not think that the buildings should be seperated for each team. perhaps as an option for multi-player???

About the bridges idea, yes i think so too. But it should, by gameplay reasons, not be destructable.

• 4 months later...

I'm drawing up a layout for a shopping mall, 2 stories, with samll stores along the main halls and larger stores at the end. It's shaped like a large capital Y. I'll scan and post it this weekend I hope. We'd like to get some terror site locations worked out with floorplans/layouts, and then we can start filling in the blanks with models. The nice part of the mall is that there is lots of duplication, so fewer models are needed. Then we can randomize the textures, so the stores will vary each time.

We've also heard about a skyscraper, truck stops, downtown areas with taller buildings, and a freeway overpass area. If people have other ideas, try to draw them out as best you can (preferably on grid paper using greyscale perhaps) so we can discuss them.

Here's a floorplan for a shopping mall. The transport lands in the parking area. The mall layout would actually be more symmetric, with 120 degree angles between the main branches, rather than this Y shape. So you could have 3 parking areas, and the transport lands in one and the ufo could be in another or on the roof perhaps. The main picture shows the lower level, you have a fountain in the middle or several sets of stairs. The second pic is of the upper level's walkway, which leaves openings looking down to the first level. The darker areas are where you'd have stairs. The bottom pic is a cross section of the levels, you could have more of a gap between the stores, but I think if the visual range limit is 16 meters like the original, then you should have the main halls be that wide. The small boxes in the main picture are the shops of course. Each could have either glass or solid walls in front, and several shelves inside tall enough that you can't see if an alien is behind them. This forces you to sweep every shop as you move along, on both levels. The larger stores at the ends of the mall could be larger, there could also be stairs in there. The blue arrows are showing possible entry paths from the ship. Flight armor would allow you roof access, where you could shoot out a window over the walkways and enter from there.

mall.jpg

UFO's don't land at terror-sites, or will they in Xenocide??

Other than that I can't see a problem with it ATM, although if I remember one thing I didn't like about TFTD it were those shipping missions with all those tiny rooms that had to be checked as every time there would be an alien in one of them :angry:

Maybe most stores have glass fronts so you can see through them (what about bullet-proof glass? your rifles can't shoot through at the start, but the aliens plasma weapons sure can :naughty: ), and only some don't have a glass front and have to be searched?

edit: oh yeah, most malls now have elevators to accomodate for disabled people too. (at least, here they do)

Edited by j'ordos

Most people wanted there to be a terror ship at the terror site if the polycount allowed for it, otherwise where'd it go? But if not, then we skip the ufo. I agree with the elevator, I think all malls are required to have them in the USA now. The stairs could also be escalators instead, but having an animation wouldn't look right when your TU's run out half way up and you stop.

I figured most stores along the halls would have glass fronts, they always do to entice you to enter. They would break to any weapons fire, I've never seen bulletproof glass in a mall. I think some of the stores would have the shelves turned so you could see towards the back, but others would have to hide spots. That's the tough part, you have to be thorough as you go, but civs are dropping like flies as you take your time. The larger stores on the end will have more shelves, so you have to work your way through those or just start shooting the shelves out of the way. Just imagine, "women's clothing, chryssalids, children's clothing... wait a min- AAGH!" :devillaugh:

That's the idea, a terror site should terrorize you as well... :D

I figured most stores along the halls would have glass fronts, they always do to entice you to enter. They would break to any weapons fire, I've never seen bulletproof glass in a mall.

No, but it would be a nice addition (the world has become even more unsafe than it is now :) ), you can see the aliens, and they can see you, but they can hit you while you can't hit them :devillaugh:

Ah, the joy of making textures for the stores... we wouldn't want to use actual store names or logos without written permissions, so now we get to make spoofs of everything... :devillaugh:

Old Navy---Aged Seamen :D

Any others? Perhaps funny logos that aren't too outrageous (and detract from the high quality-looking terror site)?

Here's a few:

The Gap - The Space

Banana Republic - Mango Fascist

Barnes & Nobles - Silos & Commoners

Burger King - Burger Lord(blatent ripoff from neil gaiman)

Roots - Branches

WalMart - MallWart (too easy)

McDonalds - McFeegles (stolen fromTerry Pratchet)

Sears - Burns

Radio Shack - TV Hut

I'd love to do a map set in Venice.

-The Captain

I agree with the elevator, I think all malls are required to have them in the USA now. The stairs could also be escalators instead, but having an animation wouldn't look right when your TU's run out half way up and you stop.

I think that the animation could work, you can choose not to walk up/down the escalator (like in real life) but doing so will make you reach the top quicker. But you can also just stand there and kinda get taken to the top. (of course it would be useless to walk up if it's completely turnbased as it would be... (never mind me)

I figured most stores along the halls would have glass fronts, they always do to entice you to enter. They would break to any weapons fire, I've never seen bulletproof glass in a mall. I think some of the stores would have the shelves turned so you could see towards the back, but others would have to hide spots. That's the tough part, you have to be thorough as you go, but civs are dropping like flies as you take your time. The larger stores on the end will have more shelves, so you have to work your way through those or just start shooting the shelves out of the way. Just imagine, "women's clothing, chryssalids, children's clothing... wait a min- AAGH!"  :devillaugh:

I like it... :devillaugh:

Edited by X-Clu-Zif

Those are great ideas Cpt. B! I'll take a look for some of the company logos for these places, and we can try to make spin-offs of them as well. Of course we can make totally made up names and logos as well, this is just a creative starting point. If we make some sketches, perhaps some photoshop people can make a few textures that include the name and logos, and we can texture up a few boxes. We can also use some of these for outdoor city sites of course.

The Gap becomes The Space, Sears becomes Burns:

(these are just concepts, not production textures btw)

medley.jpg

You still have pizza hut? I envy you, the one where I lived closed recently. :(

Anyway,

McDonalds- McCholesterol. :)

Abbercrombie & Fich-AbbCromley and Lynch

Best Buy- Worst Buy

Electronics Boutique- Electroincs brothel, or Electronics Salon

And we should add something saying: Xcomufo.com The only one stop shop for all your alien hunting needs!

:)

Will S-Mart have a shelf full of Boomsticks? :D

Here are some more:

Dillards-Willards

Bath&Body Works-Tub&Torso Works

Burger King - Bovine Lord

Chick-fil-A - Bird Burgers

Disney Store, etc - Toons Are Us/Toons R Us

JCPenny - KCKenney (which could have little bloody snow suits on the shelf-they killed Kenny!)

Anybody want to work on new logos for some of the ones we have so far?

Yeah, it should, BUT..

Every little thing we deside to do to make the game harder, should be VERY well thought because it's a thin line between "good difficulty level" and "too hard and frustrating"

I like the idea though.. Every time when you are landing to terror mission, you hope it wouldn't be a mall. "please don't let it be a mall.. please.. AAAAAAAARGH it's a mall!" :devillaugh:

I also loved the malls at apocalypse, oh the destuctivity of those places! We should make the braking window animation well so it would be a eyecandy to shoot a blaster bomb in a mall! The things inside can brake like normal but the glass should blow in pieces (and in right direction)

Facehugger, I think you did it in purpose but those names are a bit too much ^_^ It could distract you from a intensive and exciting battle..

Edited by Nyyperoid

I like deimos idea of terror site maps basing on original cities maps

we can create hundreds of such maps E.G. 4-5 maps(sections) per city. And there can be about 40 cities. and this gives us 160-200 diffrent maps. With our "men power" it's possible. but it will also make game's size larger. Each citiy can have diffrent textures etc...