XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Need Any Art Yet?

jfranzen

Guest drewid

Ah. I knew I'd seen your name on some of the models there.

Nod is definitely very kewl. those models are really impressive.

In fact they might be too close if you know what I mean.:-)

I hope Hasbeen don't get wind of it. :angry:

I'm just trying to get a handle on the "big picture" and get my brain around timelines and task lists. Boring I know compared to doing real work, but just like to know this stuff :D I'm a senior artist so it gets into the blood after a while.

What are you using to animate with?

Guest drewid

I'll see if I can find it but I can't make any promises.

I had a bunch of stuff I wanted when Hasbro made me redundant at the end or '99. Unfortunately the QA guy managed to burn the wrong directories for me and then re-used my hard drive. :bash: I'll have a look though

Well, soon i'm going to learn how to animate with Character Studio.

You see, I ordered a training book from Paul Steed. He already wrote many books and they teach so much. You only have to read the book to understand how to animate, and that's hos secret power. The power to teach the pupil without actually having to use the equipment for it.

The book I ordered:

Title: Animating Real-Time Game Characters

ISBN: 1584502703

More info can be found here

Guest drewid

funnily enough I've never used Character studio. despite having used Max from v1 (and 3ds before that). I guess most of the stuff i was animating didn't have 2 legs :D.

My favorite animation books are "the animators survival kit" by Richard Williams (Roger Rabbit) ISBN 0-571-20228-4 and "the illusion of life" by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston ISBN-dunno, it's at home. :D

It's as much as history of Disney but it has Biographies and comments by the great Disney animators from the 40s and 50s. I was going to do an animation manual based of the condensed wisdom in this but I ended up with a couple of hunderd bookmarks in there.....:-)

I guess I'll have to get milkshape for the Last Hope/Xenocide characters. Has any decision been made that you know of? I suppose it's down to the coders as much as anything, It'll be their data at the end of the day... :rolleyes:

I don't think any formats are set in stone (though I could be wrong). I think models are going to end up as Half life models (for the lasthope guys). The art team decided that saving models in .3ds would be good for now until we can finalise the specs. Like you say the programming team would have the final say over what format the models should be.

I do know that static art is going to be in .png if that's any help for you :)

Guest drewid
I don't think any formats are set in stone (though I could be wrong). I think models are going to end up as Half life models (for the lasthope guys). The art team decided that saving models in .3ds would be good for now until we can finalise the specs. Like you say the programming team would have the final say over what format the models should be.

I do know that static art is going to be in .png if that's any help for you :)

Thanks - All information is helpful

And we'll have discuss bones when we get there :D

-Drewid

Guest drewid

sorry, I didn't explain that very well. :uhoh:

I meant things like which package we'll use ( I guess Milkshape if it does it) and getting the bones and vertex data out.

Things like limiting the number of bones that can influence a single vertex makes the data more compact and faster. At work we have a limit of 4 bones per vertex, and we don't often use that many.

Also whether we use linear interpolation between keyframes, which should be ok, I only ever animate with linear curves, it makes some things easier.

We should probably animate at 24 frames per second, that makes a lot of moves easier to work out in fractions of a second , because it divides nicely by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8. but keyframes should only happen 3 or 4 (or more) frames apart usually. which again makes the data smaller.

Guest drewid

Ha Found him. Not very impressive after all that. it's only 70 polygons (It was four years ago) :-)

I've not got the jar tho :-(

Now lets see If I've got this attachments thing right

post-29-1048973145_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

I just stumbled over your forums after trying all night to get x-com to work on my 2 ghz rig :angry: (nope, couldn't get it)

Well needless to say I was interested, and it looks like you could use help. I studied multimedia design for a while at UW Stout Before pointing my life in another direction, and I still love computer art and use 3DS Max nearly every day, just for kicks. I've never worked on a game B4 but have done plenty of work with 3DS Max, and photoshop.

I read through some of these threads and found myself lost as to what I should work on, so I thought I would just post this, intruduce myself and get some feedback on what needs to be done to get this ball rolling :D

With that I just want to say it's great to see the work being done on this thing and I can't wait to dig in, drop me a line at [email protected], or one of the messangers listeds in my profile, or just let me know whats up here. Thanx for your time ;)

- Andy "Lambers" Lambrecht

Our policy is any help is welcomed. About what can you do, we are starting to organize what it is needed but take a look to this thread: Forum Page. It was our reply for another artist that had joined this very same week and found himself as lost as you.

Finally, Welcome to Project Xenocide.

Greetings

Red Knight

Great! Thanx, I've been reading more of the threads and checking some of the sites you have listed, should have plenty to keep me busy. I wish I had the talent of the artists making the models over at lasthope but I am not that good. Although it looks like they got that covered and the other talented people working on this project have alot covered as well. I was figuring on working on simple stuff..... fences... tables.... I got Xcom working on both of my rigs thanx to this site :) and I'm going through and making a list of things that could be used.... lamps, boxes, odds and ends, and I'm just whipping up a bunch of that stuff, if it disen't get used it's no big deal cause it only take a few minutes for most of it, ya know... anyway I'll keep checking here and working on stuff, I got that wall section and square meter box someone is using for scale and I'm using 3DS Max and saving as .3ds files. anyway I guess thats I'll I got, thanx for the welcome and I look forward to working on this :)

Lambers

Guest drewid

I've started on a rough asset list. I'm looking for a volunteer to fill it in one I've figured the format.

I've not got too much free time, so I figure I'd be better doing artwork and leaving the tracking to someone else who wants to help but doesn't have art/coding/story skills.

TheList will also have space for who is doing what so we don't get loads of people working on the same thing and wasting effort.

-Drewid

Check out the thread on environmental models within this forum, you'll see some of the items being worked on. You can find a list of current projects being worked on at sourceforge.net/projects/xenocide as well. A short list of items done/in progress: billboard, street light, park bench, barrel, fencing, wall/roof/floor sections for buildings, windows/doors/stairs for buildings. Some items that haven't been spoken for (that I'm aware of) include various plants/bushes/trees, terror site objects such as the gas pumps and sales counters/crates in businesses, and cars would be a nice addition for terror sites as well. The poly count for larger items is 1000-1500, for smaller items others have tried to stay under a few hundred. Obviously the fewer the better for performance.

Sounds good... I just am getting a chance right now to check out what needs to be done, I played Xcom all last night and alot today, wrote down some things, and actually, you nailed a bunch of the stuff that was on my list. I'll look at the task list and start working, I plan on joining the lasthope forum as well, it would be helpfull, as far as scale goes to get a few human or alien models... I have a few more things to mention but for fear of rehashing old disscussion I'm gonna read through the forums for a few hours ;)

- Lambers

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and blaster bombs when you're on the toilet I suppose... :uzzi: :chicken:

Hehehe, that looks "good" :D and such a low polycount is quite ok for a static object IMO. Maybe I'll make an (almost) equally low poly horse corpse.

But I'd like to know if I should add some kind of tail to the horse or further reduce the polycount before I start assigning mapping coordinates and textures... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

hi i really like the idea of a new xcom and would like to help you with the graphics and arts so i made a coverpic

and i hope to getsome replies and some new tasks where i could help.i'm working with adobe,3dsmax and a drawboard

hope you like it

post-29-1050802548_thumb.jpg