XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Options

Deimos

Oops! I never had them installed.

I though actually, that alpha will install them, but apparently it did not.

So, I will keep the vertical layout. I will fix the width of the buttons and add a label to the top of the dialog.

The new nsis installer we have working for the alpha now (though it's not available for dl yet) will autoinstall the fonts. Sorry the previous cheap winrar selfextractor did not do the job :P

Do the options look better or worse when the text is right aligned, similar to the right-hand options?

Deimos sent me the PSD for the geoscape and whated me to do something with the options. I mocked it up and I'm posting a JPG of the options screen. This is with the option buttons facing the same way as the the normal geoscape ones and the text right aligned.

Take it for what you will.

options.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

RK, if we left-align the options panel, wouldn't we have to do the same for the geoscape menu? I think they both look alright right-aligned, if it is possible even with the click part of the button in the way.

Looks good, but it has one flaw... the right scrollbar. What is it doing there?

Not sure either, but it was in the template Deimos had so I left it there :)

Vaaish's layout is what I meant about the right alignment. Is it that there's a fixed location on the dialog for the click, or is it the entire button as an object?

I didnt though about flipping the texture, I had amazed myself on my stupidity. By the way Deimos, I suggest you to remake the panel texture in 256x256 cause the current texture is 192x256 or something on the line...

Greetings

Red Knight

I didnt though about flipping the texture, I had amazed myself on my stupidity. By the way Deimos, I suggest you to remake the panel texture in 256x256 cause the current texture is 192x256 or something on the line...

Greetings

Red Knight

RK, this is a first time of brain meltdown! :) Take more care of yourself.

I have an image which is 360x197. It is stretched to fit in 200x230. This are original coordinates, which are too narrow with given font.

Anyway, I think it is not good to stretch this simple texture. I will calculate coordinates for button size to fit the longest caption and post them here. From that we can get the texture in right size.

BTW, I will go with right alignement for the consistence purpose.

I was not expecting to produce this image soon, otherwise I would not double post.

Here it is. Panel is 240x250. Buttons are 200x24. The background does not look nice, but buttons are fine.

Could our artists to redo the background and send it to me?

Please, keep the title area (I will put a label there. I cannot think about anything except 'Menu') as well as a cross in top right corner. This will be a 'close' or 'cancel' button on dialogs (I suggest on all of the dialogs to be consistent)

post-42-1057032854_thumb.png

Yeah, like this, but without this arrow in top right corner. This is a part of scrollbar, what it is doing here?

Also, I will readjust my config file to use 256x256 background and make buttons longer appropriately.

Here is the latest and greates version. I consider this panel is completed and move on to one of FX panel.

Note, that there is white line around, but this is perhaps should be a transparent area - some functionality which is not yet implemented, but it goes beyond the scope of work for this panel. RK, if I remember right you were going to work on that. PM to discuss it, please.

Also note, that I changed button label on the right from 'Options' to 'Menu' as it makes more sense to me. (umm, actually I stole it from Warcraft III :P )

post-42-1057434292_thumb.png

Edited by mamutas

Also note, that I changed button label on the right from 'Options' to 'Menu' as it makes more sense to me. (umm, actually I stole it from Warcraft III  )

I like "Options" better.

Ok. Any suggestions for a window title? Note, that it should be somehow linked to the button it was invoked from: 'menu'->'game menu', 'options'->'game options'???

But what has load/save game has with options?

Ok I'm going to have to be the black sheep here and say I like "Gameplay Options" better... :D ...it just sounds more professional

"Gameplay Options" is the label for the button which will display game specific options: speed of bullets, tracing, etc. It cannot be used to call all the options.

Ok... whatever.

I will change the button back to 'Options' and dialog title will be 'Game Options'.

Not every button needs to end with options or menu. Load Game and Save Game are for just that, while Sound Options, etc makes sense. For the button that gets you to this main option screen, Options Menu makes sense.

yes......options menu is cool! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/shades2.gif

one thing that is bothering me is the mismatched space between the carious buttons. I think it would look more professional to either have a physical devider there or have them alligned same as the geoscape side bar.

I think the spacing works because it keeps the various button categories logically together.  Putting seperators between them might fill the space too much.  I think it looks pretty good as is.

I agree...

Guest drewid
I think the spacing works because it keeps the various button categories logically together.  Putting seperators between them might fill the space too much.  I think it looks pretty good as is.

I agree...

I agree as well. it's obvious what the spacing means and it groups the categories nicely without clutter.

As to random button textures. i like the way the parretn spreads across all the buttons. and if we can afford the space then why not, If space gets tight we could always havea handful of different buttons that get randomised around.

we could even make a big texture, and make the button-texture scroll independent of each other, in random dirrections?