XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Playstation Version?

Guest Quincy

I just got a playstation (I) from my nephew. It's really for my kids, but I notice that there is an X-COM for Playstation.

Is it any good? How does it compare to the PC version? Worth buying?

NO ONE BUY THE PLAYSTATION VERSION!!!! :cussing: It's slow, stressful controls, and it takes 30 minutes to complete a mission with a small crashed ufo! :crying: Don't say that I didn't warn you! :sly:

Why is it so expensive? don't PS games depreciate in value like PC games? Shouldn't xcom PS be around 10$ (and in my pricerange)  :huh?:

The psx version of x-com is one of those extremely rare console games that they didn't make many of because it didn't seem like a hot title, but which became more of a 'hit' years after they stopped making them. I recently visited a rather large used console game warehouse and asked about ufo defense for the psx. The man behind the counter (as I expected) laughed at me and said "good luck, I haven't seen a copy in years." I put myself on a waiting list for it but haven't heard anything (and don't expect to).

Really I think it's so expensive because it's the only version of the game that never crashes and never corrupts a saved game.

Well, Ce is pretty stable when you try to run it on a new computer with XP.

It depends how you describe "stable" I guess you mean it doesn't crash much.. Well anyway I don't like CE with WinXP, I must use turbo program to slow the game down. When I drop the speed to a playable level (to about 20% from real speed) It also slows many other things.

-When I go to intercept an ufo, when interceptor reaches the ufo and the interceptor window should appear, the game stops for about 3-5 seconds until the window appears.

-Also when I go to any mission, game stops for the same 3-5 seconds until the mission screen appears.

-In battlescape the "action music" causes troubles, about every minute it stops and begins again. Ok, that's not a problem BUT, also that stops the game for 3-5 seconds until the music starts again and the game starts to run again..

3-5 seconds sounds like a little problem but it gets really irritating when it comes all the time.. and it IS a long time when you have ufos coming all the time and every damn time it takes 3-5 seconds to intercept, or as happens a lot, the ufo increases speed when you reach it and then you reach it again. One ufo can put you wait for those damn 3-5 seconds MANY times. It sucks.

I wonder if the turbo program makes the same for others too..?

Why is it so expensive? don't PS games depreciate in value like PC games? Shouldn't xcom PS be around 10$ (and in my pricerange)  :huh?:

I got it used at Gamestop for $15 used. But, I still dont suggest that anyone gets the game, unless your really bored and want to be more bored. <_<

I want to be more bored!!! :P

Here, I'll be nice. You give me your mailing address through PM and I'll send it to you for free. Then you can be bored, ok? :D

Edit: But don't say that I didn't warn you. :wacko:

Edited by Cmdr. Luke

Guest Private Tribunkle
What is CE for WinXP? I loved this game and saw the three X-com game bundle for $10 at a local bookstore, but was hesitant to buy it cause I didnt know if it would run on my brand new Dell computer. I guess Apocalypse alone is worth the $10, but I really wanted to play UFO Defense again. Can I play these with current video cards? :blink:

What is CE for WinXP?  I loved this game and saw the three X-com game bundle for $10 at a local bookstore, but was hesitant to buy it cause I didnt know if it would run on my brand new Dell computer.  I guess Apocalypse alone is worth the $10, but I really wanted to play UFO Defense again. Can I play these with current video cards? :blink:

I/we can't promise you that they will work. Anyway this forum has a lot of technical help and this site has fix files to make it work so there's a good chance you'll get them to work if you buy them. Except maybe apocalypse wich proves to be a pain in the a55 to get to work.

IMO the Playstation version is the best version of Xcom 1 available. I picked up the PAL version, original casing, absolutely perfect condition on Ebay Australia for $40 AUD. I then also purchased a Playstation mouse for 10 bucks.

I was looking for AGES for a copy of Playstation version, and from what i have discovered, the PAL version (which is called Xcom: Enemy Unknown and also has different box art to the NTSC version) is incredibly rare to find when compared to the availability of the NTSC version.

Using the mouse, the game plays like a dream. The Playstation version has superior cutscenes and the music is incredibly atmospheric when compared to the PC versions constant droning music sound.

Not to mention the Playstation version runs at the proper speed, requires no slowdown utilities, has no compatibility problems and also has improved Ufopaedia images and other small graphical enhancements.

Oh, and you can also play it while kicked back on the couch and the mouse/mousepad on a solid surface on your lap. The perfect game to enjoy a bit of comfort while playing :)

So yeah, anyone who has a Playstation 1 or 2 (i picked up a PSOne about 6 months ago for $50 AUD on ebay) should try and track down a copy of the game and also a Playstation mouse to play it with.

Oh, and the manual is incredibly thick and detailed. Unlike usual Playstation manuals that look thick but have around 5 different languages crammed into the one manual, this is english all the way through and manages to span across 135 pages.

Definate collectors item guys. You see a copy, grab it!

Oh if anyone wants any pictures of the manual, disc, box art or the game during play then just let me know.

i want to see the much better images than pc version or damn big manual :D

why is the manual damn big? there isn't that much to know about x-com, AFAIK (i once made a manual of it and it was only 6 pages), or they did they cram the whole ufopedia in it?

Well the manual is smaller than a standard PC manual, which counts for additional pages, however, even if it was full size it would still be well over 50 pages long.

The manual includes a tutorial and descriptions and information on each section of the game and also overviews of the strategic and tactical parts of it.

I will try and get some pictures of the manual and the game tomorrow when i get home from work.

Guest shannon

I used to play the PSX version a crap load back in the day. Here a few months back I had the urge to play again so after searching all over the internet for a decent price I cam across a guy who didn't know its value and gave it to me for 15 bucks!

Problem is I think I may have lost it in my move to Oregon but I'm calling my relatives ASAP to look for my rare game!

Just downloaded the game though for PC but I love the PSX music and cut scenes, the sequence of the president getting shot in the head is crazy friggin cool.

Guest shannon
Aww, they're only streamable and my 56gay connection won't cut it. Oh well. Is there any way to download them and make them play in the PC version? That would be neat.

Just downloaded the game though for PC but I love the PSX music and cut scenes, the sequence of the president getting shot in the head is crazy friggin cool.

I really must try to find the more gory version of that. :D

I really must try to find the more gory version of that. :D

And you'd get a big thanks if you passed that along this way when you find it, too :P

• 8 months later...

I'd have to see the game first of course. Don't think I'm going to pay 200 bucks for it, though. If I want to do that, I'll just go on crapBay and buy it for a dollar cheaper, and get a pair of wooden false teeth just for the heck of it while I'm at it.

And what's with all this PC supremacy garb? The PSX version HAS to be less buggy. I mean, seriously...

Besides, I've got Xenocide to wait for now. :wink:

Edited by The Master Maniac

It's not the game's fault; it's the PSX's and TV's fault. You'll just have to play it to understand... at least I have a mouse to try and enjoy it with. Otherwise it really would be miserable. Personally, I wouldn't buy it.

Gah. I don't care--as long as it doesn't crash every two darn seconds, I don't care! I'm so desperate to play X-Com, it doesn't matter! Gah! Look, if you guys can't stand the game, just throw it in my general direction from wherever you are! Or something, anything!

Okay, maybe I'm not really that desperate, but heck--I'm willing to buy the PS version should anybody have it available. A friend of mine said that X-Com 1 is one of the rarest games you can find on the system. Be nice to have around, huh? :)

Edited by The Master Maniac

• 10 months later...
You can play the Amiga version of XCOM 1 without too much trouble, emulated anyway. Only trouble is, no flashy cutscenes, it's a little slow (at least on my PC) and nobody wrote a difficulty bug fix for the Amiga version. But if you snag the AGA version, the music is quite snazzy and IMHO better than the PC version.

• 1 year later...

Hate to pull up a long-forgotten topic, but I feel the need to add my two cents to this topic as well as bring up an interesting point... right after the ramblings.

<playstation review and general fanboyisms>

I was fortunate enough to pick up a pre-owned 'X-Com: Enemy Unknown' for the Playstation for £2.99 at Blockbuster; fairly good condition, too. Anyway, I had to have it. (given how much time I'd put into the PC demo version alone) By the time I got home, however, I had been distracted by something shiny and didn't get round to playing it.

Fast-forward to the now, and I'm looking for games to sell (friend owes me money, but can't sell games for cash without ID and proof of occupancy) and I spot this. Got quite a shock when I saw how much it was worth on eBay, but couldn't let it go without one last play.

It's pretty damn slow. Loading times (even on my PS2 with the disc-speed increase feature) were nothing like the PC version (which I first played on a 486 SX 25!) Mouse speed alternates between silky smooth (especially impressive for a ball mouse) to rather jerky. Sometimes an extra window appearing will smooth the mouse movement out again, it's insanity! I guess I'll just blame it on bad porting. That said, I stayed there and played a few missions regardless... I never even made it out the door. I'll sell my friend's games tommorrow; but this is staying with me. :) So basically... it's X-Com done slowly. Didn't' crash, though. Entire memory card to save games though? ...no. PC is yay.

</playstation review and general fanboyisms>

Later on, however, I decide to try and rip some of the fairly-superior music from the game. (huzzah for PSXMC) At this point, XP's Autoplay feature throws up the folder and I notice something very odd.

The Playstation CD contains two executables; tactical.exe and geoscape.exe.

Intruiging, says I. Further investigation proves that these two .exes do, in fact, exist in the old DOS version of the game. The Playstation ones are a hundred or so kilobytes larger, though. I have never known a single Playstation game to contain files which are executable using a Windows platform (16-bit, for those who are interested) So here's my crazy, probably untrue theory behind the random performance exhibited by this version:

Is it running through some form of emulation?

I can't pretend to know a lot on the subject of emulation, or indeed programming on a console (earliest I've programmed for is a Playstation 2; not the most henious of tasks) but I'm guessing there's ways it can be done. For example; the general rule of thumb is that the system doing the emulation should be at least 10 times as powerful as the console being emulated (look to the SNES emulators for the GBA for a good example) whearas the Xbox 360 runs Xbox games through emulation; I find it hard to believe that the 360 is ten times as powerful as the Xbox and therefore believe some multi-processor trickery to be involved. When you consider that the average 486 would be using only a CPU and a (barely-functioning) GPU, you can see where multi-processor benefits will come in.

I've been pondering over this for hours and now that I can't think of anything else to write, I'll just leave it to other people for some insights.

The mere fact there were any "executables" (as I know them, anyway) on the PS1 disc seems strange to me. Granted, I don't assume to know anything about programming, but one would think that a console that speaks an entirely different language than a PC (or at least I think it does) might use a different format, right? Strange, anyway. I'm still trying to get my hands on a working copy that doesn't cost 70 bucks...

On another note, were you successful in getting the tracks? =b

The mere fact there were any "executables" (as I know them, anyway) on the PS1 disc seems strange to me. Granted, I don't assume to know anything about programming, but one would think that a console that speaks an entirely different language than a PC (or at least I think it does) might use a different format, right? Strange, anyway. I'm still trying to get my hands on a working copy that doesn't cost 70 bucks...

On another note, were you successful in getting the tracks?  =b

Yes and no; apparently they use the same programming language (according to people who graduated from my course before me who used PS1 dev kits) but they'll compile into a different executable format, which the PS1 could not run. (a Linux executable for the dev kits they used, methinks) I've been meaning to try the PS1 executables in place of the normal DOS ones, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Plus, I'm 90% positive it isn't going to work if I do.

In response to your other question, I was successful in getting the tracks. Converted to MP3 too! Why do I get the feeling I should upload these somewhere? ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

I played Xcom on Playstation years before I played it on a PC.

Good things:

Tanks have a rotating 3d model in the UFOPaedia, looks sweet.

Music is a billion times better

Game disc plays like a regular music cd, with th egame's soundtrack

Sweet movie clips, like when you lose the game and the diplomat gets blasted in the face.

Bad Things:

Loading times are RIDICULOUS

Control has a steep learning curve and is slow

Can only save 1 game per memory card, LOL.'

Has some weird bugs, like it freezes the game laot if you center your screen on a certain tile on top of an alien battleship . . .

Edited by 60mm

it's more stable, but VERY slow. plus, the best thing about it.....you can right click and open doors without walking through!

• 2 months later...

The game is only worth how much other people are willing to fork over for a copy. The law of supply and demand, see? Not many gamers are willing to part with their copies which creates a supply shortage. And the demand is still high as X-COM is still very popular. That means the market can withstand price increases. Is it worth the $60 USD for a preowned copy? Not to me. I got my first copy for $20 in early 1996 which subsequntly was stolen 5 years later. With the advent of Ebay I purchased my second copy for only $5 (not including S&H) in 2001. :wink1:

The great thing about the Playstation version of X-COM is stability. It hardly ever crashes. (It hangs when you go to L3 of the Battleship like 60mm mentioned, but this can be circumvented by not looking up there. Saves made to a memory card can also get corrupted, but this is rare). True, the loading times are horrendous. But that forces you to play without reloading which lets you improve your tactics and strategy. And the greatest thing? The ability to open doors without stepping through by pressing the circle button beyond the door. That's fantastic (and IMHO) the way X-COM is supposed to function. (Too bad the CE version didn't address this problem, eh?) :)

- Zombie

• 1 month later...

Sorry to post in a topic that wont die, LOL, but I thought I'd add a few comments of my own, seeing as how I am currently playing the PSX version(I dont have the ambition to reinstall the CE version):

Everything that has been stated is the truth. But, if you can deal with semi-hard controls(without a mouse mind you) and the loading times, this is, IMHO, the superior version of Enemy Unknown/Ufo Defense.

For the record, I boought my copy from Funcoland(before they merged with Gamestop) for $5. The store owner told me he couldn't get rid of it and would give it to me for $5 just to get it out of his store. This was back in 1997, to give you an idea of how long I have had this floating in my PSOne game binder.

While I was typing this, I was using my PS2, and no matter if you use the "fast" disc speed setting or leave it alone the game is slowed slightly on PS2. Just to forewarn everyone who may try to play it on PS2. Loading times, however, ARE a little shorter(perhaps it is because of the PS2's more powerful processor? IDK).