XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Best Way To Shoot A Cyberdisc Down

if you kill it with a one shot kill, and only use aimed or snap shot, most of the time it will not explode, just try it with a laser rifle or heavy laser, as long as you don't go too much over its limit it won't explode most of the time

edit: fixed minor error ;)

Edited by Blehm 98

What is the best way to shoot a cyberdisc down without explosion?

Best wishes

Redbull

I read your topic title and post; shooting it down and shooting it to not explode are two different things. ;)

edit: moved to appropriate forum :)

edit2: changed topic title for a less misleading title ;)

Stunning is one of the few way to prevent an explosion and their armor protects them from mostly conventional bullets. Hitting it multiple times will have the most chances of stunning it than any other bullet (besides explosions) since each hit creates stun damage. Now, if it is in air, shoot it with a stun bomb so that the body will fall to the ground before the explosion occurs.

Edited by Kratos

yes, but killing it with any hit from an autoshot guarantees it will explode if you kill it

so it'd probably be better to take it down with a single shot, regardless of whether or not you stun it or kill it

I use heavy lasers and so I only use the snap shoot or aimed fire.

But about 80% of the cyberdiscs explode, and just a few minutes before I started the topic, I had an base assault. One bs with sectoids and cyberdiscs landed near my base. I always do not like to see all the nice sectoid corpses on the floor and than an incoming cyberdisc. My soldiers use aimed fire from long distance and the cyberdisc goes booom <_< .

Tried even save and reload just before the round the cyberdisc will move through the elevator. But all the 10 times I reloaded, the cyberdisc exploded.

Hope there is a way to avoid the explosion, but it does not look like there is one.

Best wishes

Redbull

btw : tried to write : What is the best way to shoot a cyberdisc down without explosion? but i came only to : What is the best way to shoot a cyberdisc down with ^^

so thanks for renaming and moving to the right forum

Edited by Redbull

Doesn't the explosion always take place at whatever elevation it was before it dropped? IMO, don't even bother trying to control the explosion. Just shoot them from really far away. They frequently kill other aliens you couldn't see with them and trying to save as many civilians as possible is a sure way to get your guys killed. But yeah, stun rounds would be the best way, I think.

Doesn't the explosion always take place at whatever elevation it was before it dropped? IMO, don't even bother trying to control the explosion. Just shoot them from really far away. They frequently kill other aliens you couldn't see with them and trying to save as many civilians as possible is a sure way to get your guys killed. But yeah, stun rounds  would be the best way, I think.

Tried stun rods in a terror mission against a cyberdisc, my both ( these with the stun rods ) men were dead after the cyberdisc was stunned and exploded.

Edited by Redbull

I use heavy lasers and so I only use the snap shoot or aimed fire.

But about 80% of the cyberdiscs explode, and just a few minutes before I started the topic, I had an base assault. One bs with sectoids and cyberdiscs landed near my base. I always do not like to see all the nice sectoid corpses on the floor and than an incoming cyberdisc. My soldiers use aimed fire from long distance and the cyberdisc goes booom  <_ .>

Tried even save and reload just before the round the cyberdisc will move through the elevator. But all the 10 times I reloaded, the cyberdisc exploded.

Lasers do alot of damage to a cyberdisc, that is why it practically always explodes with heavy laser. Like I said before, I reccomend packing a conventional (bullet) pistol or rifle with each of your men.

Doesn't the explosion always take place at whatever elevation it was before it dropped? IMO, don't even bother trying to control the explosion. Just shoot them from really far away. They frequently kill other aliens you couldn't see with them and trying to save as many civilians as possible is a sure way to get your guys killed. But yeah, stun rounds  would be the best way, I think.

Only when airborne though. Conventional pistol and rifle serves for this purpose at best. Nothing is always 100% guarenteed it will not blow up though.

Tried stun rods in a terror mission against a cyberdisc, my both ( these with the stun rods ) men were dead after the cyberdisc was stunned and exploded.

He meant stun bombs (rounds). Stun rods are just suicidle.

Just for the record, I have had laser rifles, tank lasers and plasma rifles shoot down Cyberdiscs without setting them off quite frequently with snapshots. Not all the time, but certainly a fair number of times.

With auto shots, they've always exploded, even if only one of the three shots hit. But that's just my experience.

So I agree, don't try to control the explosions. Just stand back.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Thanks for your answers.

Will try to take a few laser pistols with me.

There must be one way ^^

... hm...

can I send the aliens a bill of 20k $ for smuggeling explosives to earth in a disc?

:D

Best wishes

Redbull

Edited by Redbull

Just for the record, I have had laser rifles, tank lasers and plasma rifles shoot down Cyberdiscs without setting them off quite frequently with snapshots. Not all the time, but certainly a fair number of times.

With auto shots, they've always exploded, even if only one of the three shots hit. But that's just my experience.

So I agree, don't try to control the explosions. Just stand back.

- NKF

So damage is affected by different modes (snap, auto, aimed)? :blink:

Thanks for your answers.

Will try to take a few laser pistols with me.

There must be one way ^^

... hm...

can  I send the aliens a bill of 20k $ for smuggeling explosives to earth in a disc?

:D

Best wishes

Redbull

You could, but the their mailbox is on Cydonia and the only way to get there is to send a one of your men to deliver the letter in an avenger. I guarentee you that they have a person waiting at the mailbox ready to gaze at it for a second then shoot the guy in the head with a plasma pistol stuck behind their back. ;)

How does auto, snap, and aimed differ in damage? Distance causes different damage, not modes. And if you are talking about multiple hits then that wouldn't matter due to that the cyberdisc will be on the floor anyhow.

sorry, i guess i didn't explain myself correctly

there is no damage difference, but if you use auto shot generally they explode. I do not know why, i only know that NKF has said it and i tested it and it worked for me. So if you want a boom, use autoshot. If you want it to just die, use single shot. I don't know for certain if this is true for anything other than 1 shot kills though

Kratos, that's just from my own personal experience. I've never seen a cyberdisc fall without exploding when using an auto shot and where only one of the shots were to hit. That's not really a conclusive answer and is only based off my own experience. On the other hand, single shots have a better chance of dropping it without causing it to explode.

Otherwise, there's no real difference between the firing modes except that auto gives you 3 uninterrupted shots where you do not receive reaction attacks until the end of the attack. The only interruption being when ammo runs out. Not, as you've observed, on the death of the soldier. :D

But again, I'd rather just step back, face the Cyberdisc and hope for the best. Power suits help.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I thought the explosion resulted from a cyberdisc dying, and stunning it wouldn't make it explode? At least in my limited experiance with stun launchers (I never liked them all that much), hitting a cyberdisc made it go down peacefully.

When protecting Civilians: I MC the disc, fly it into a remote corner of the map, and have it shoot itself. No casualties, except the cyberdisc of course. :D

A small observation: The explosion is created BEFORE the corpse, saving the cyberdisc corpse from destruction. This applies to secondary explosions (Cyberdisc near a gas pump) and the explosion you used to hit it (Rockets, etc). The weird part is that sometimes other cyberdiscs caught in the explosion destroy the first corpse, and sometimes they don't...

Indeed, stun damage is what brings down a Cyberdisc quietly. This interrupts its auto-destruct sequence which has an explosive strength of 120. Ganging up on a lone Cyberdisc with troopers carrying Stun Rods also works.

Another way to prevent unwanted damage from the explosion is to MC it, have it go up in the air and then shoot itself. Not only does this localize damage to an area unoccupied by most things (civilians, soldiers, items) but it also lets you recover the Cyberdisc corpse intact. =b

- Zombie

A small observation: The explosion is created BEFORE the corpse, saving the cyberdisc corpse from destruction.

You have it backwards. The body falls then explodes. If in air, the body will fall to floor first and then the explosion will occur in the air where the cyberdisk got killed. The game has always functioned bullets and explosions without regard to the unit. ie: soldier kills himself while firing below him with the first auto shot, the next two auto shots will occur (after death) even with the unit dead. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. :)

I believe you on the bullet thing, but it's either I'm right or Cyberdisc corpses can resist their own explosions, because where a cyberdisc selfdestructs I ALWAYS recover the corpse.

Correct, it's corpse first, then explosion effect.

The only time you can secure a corpse (haha) intact is when you destroy the cyberdisc in the air, or you manage to take it down without the self destruct kicking in.

- NKF

Are you sure, NKF? I always end up with a stupidly high amount of cyberdisc corpses, none of which are ever in midair...

Bleh, whatever. I might be getting senile. :(

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use auto-shot very often, and against 2x2 sized terror units - always.

I have seen Cyberdisks fall down without explosion after Laser Rifle auto-shot several times. So, I don't think there's any difference between shot modes for Ceberdisk self-destruction.

It's known, that when shooting an alien there's a chane it's going to take some very small stun damge and fall unconcious instead of dying. With any other creature (Sectoid, Floater, Snakeman, etc) - you'll get a stunned alien. But with Cyberdisk in this case there will be the difference between "explode on death"/"not explode on death", rather than "die/get stunned".

That's my theory.