XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Reaction Logic

Kratos

The reaction logic:

1) Be ready for them to come up to you and cancel your reaction fire if you aren't well hidden.

2) Always assume they have enough firepower to fire at you with reactions

3) Ignore logic #2 if you absolutely know they don't have reaction fire left

4) Give a possibility of a soon to be ambush from an unexpected area and not frequently watched area, so set your man facing that direction (sides).

5) Think about where they will go next

6) Position your unit in the area that is most probable that they will come from

7) Think about which reaction will fit best for the situation. Snap for long ranges, and auto for close up. Heavy plasmas usually require aimed.

Well since reaction fire is based on the amount of TUs expended (to be exact, 1 chance every 4 TUs expended) while in view of your unit, it's pretty useless unless your reaction fire soldier is well hidden. If he's well hidden, its unlikely he'll see anything. And when he does, he'll just get the crap blown outta him from the entire enemy fire team. It's utterly impossible to get a shot off the instant an enemy enters view range. Unless units start having different view distances, this means that it's highly unlikely that you'll spot something without him spotting you.

So, in the end, the best case scenario is that you manage to snipe a sectoid scout and get yourself shot up, worst case being that the scout sees you, doesn't move, and has his buddies shoot you up.

The reaction logic is to use them for the right situations and not all the time, only when you know something is unexpected through calculations of thoughts. Every time I calculate that someone is going to do the unexpected ambush...they do it. So I follow my calculations in order to counter their actions. They actually work if they are used at the right times. You are not always firing at sectoids anyway, you may need to counter a power suit with three blows and run and hide in a far away place. I wouldn't recommend thowing yourself out in the open at all. You will die faster doing such tactics. Scouts are going to be thrown out in the open if the maps are only open anways, but you need to place to hide them when scouting if available. Having lots of cover for them can save them.

Not all my tactics are based on reactions. Reactions I don't rely on, but I rely on different strategies that are too long and drawn out to explain in such a forum. Even the reaction logic doesn't exactly explain my tactics.

Edited by Kratos

It's utterly impossible to get a shot off the instant an enemy enters view range.

It's not impossible, it is simply unlikely to happen, if you don't take any care when placing the sniper.

So, in the end, the best case scenario is that you manage to snipe a sectoid scout and get yourself shot up, worst case being that the scout sees you, doesn't move, and has his buddies shoot you up.

Snipers are extremely useful at the end of games, especially if you have more units than your opponent. If you want to cover a route that the enemy can use to escape, place a sniper there. Most likely he will be killed but he can also get the second shot and injury the enemy (reducing his accuracy) and, more important, force him to use TUs to shoot instead of moving, which helps to pin him down to a position.

Even at the beginning of the game snipers can be very useful to spot enemy attacks and take out the scouts. Most likely they will be shot at and killed, if the other player has proper supporting units, but if the scout is also killed then you just slowed down the enemy attack, giving you more time to respond to it.

Snipers with reactions have served me well in the end. One scenario was when I had one powersuit sniper with a heavy plasma enough to kill all 5 of the enemies units, which were sectoids btw. He hid behind a building waiting for a scout to come and try to find him when he popped out he got blown away when my powersuit came out behind the wall. The next one was expected to come out in a specific direction ready to be shot by aimed reaction fire, due to the fact I knew where all his units were located and were coming from, and got blown away also. The third one I knew would come for me, so I went in the building and waited behnind a wall for him to come and find my powersuit, unfortunate for the sectoid, it got blown away also. The next one was expected to come out, but not seek but hold its position. My powersuit was quick enough to take him out and hide in the building again. The very last sectoid was expected to come out for an ambush behind my powersuit, so my powersuit went back to the building but hid in the area the sectoid would come from. The next turn nothing happened. The sectoid was expected to come out still and my powersuit waited for aimed reaction fire. As expected, the sectoid came out for an ambush but was hit with one blow.

See how reactions, hiding, and snipers can come in handy? I would of done the same thing with mutons as of right now. But when my muton patch gets officially out in a new beta version, it may become more common since mutons were people's favorite since they were strong and low cost. I don't know what unit would be the next favorite, but I would assume it would be sectoids rather than no armored humans since the sectoids last almost as long and would be able to have more offensive weaponary.

Very high reactions/accuracy soldiers will pwnt anything that comes in view... also, if they're shot in the arse with a snapshot, with anything, chances are they'll spin around and unleash hellfire on the sucker who shot them in the back.

PowerArmour/FlyingArmour troops with Lasers/Heavy Lasers will prove this all too often. :wink1: (Especially mine, as they have 70-80 Acc/Reactions)

Edited by Exo2000

soldiers reatc far more often with greater results in small areas , my men freaquently blow the living s*** out of enemies stupid enough to charge through a door after me. but at further distances they wont shoot until the enemy does somthing.

in the end reactions are OK but its more likely that if a bloke does get to react , he's gonna draw huge amounts of fire anyway

Very high reactions/accuracy soldiers will pwnt anything that comes in view... also, if they're shot in the arse with a snapshot, with anything, chances are they'll spin around and unleash hellfire on the sucker who shot them in the back.

Exo2000...I am talking about ufo2000, not xcom 1\2. Ufo2000 currently doesn't support reactions that when an enemy gets shot, he turns around. And further more, high reaction is unecessary. I use 50 and it serves me well. :) But I don't use it very much...only in "certain" scenarios.

Edited by Kratos

Exo2000...I am talking about ufo2000, not xcom 1\2. Ufo2000 currently doesn't support reactions that when an enemy gets shot, he turns around. And further more, high reaction is unecessary. I use 50 and it serves me well. :) But I don't use it very much...only in "certain" scenarios.

since i started with ufo2000 week before i didnt consider reactins important :blush1: , but now...when my soldiers got shot during my turns i pay mutch more attention to reaction fire... and i hope i will be also taking advantage of it soon :laugh:

btw i have my reactions set on 50 too ;) :NyaNyaNya:

Edited by Neithan

Yeah, and not many people use anything more than Snapshot.

Example from an online game;

X = My soldier

Y = Enemy soldier

X______
      |Y

X_____Y

Y fires. X is hit in the back. Now, he doesn't drop instantly due to the fact he has flying armour. Oh no. Because he'd been standing still the previous turn, X spins around and unleashes a barrage or two of autofire Heavy Laserage, dropping Y on the spot.

Problem was?

Heavy Plasmas have no autofire, so Y snapshot, not wanting to waste TUs. :)

I find reaction fire becomes much more important in low time limit/small map games. Also, there have been times where I've sent a soldier behind enemy lines as a spy. I chuckle as I discover locations of all of the enemy soldiers and then, the stupid spy gets trigger happy, and the reaction fire and blows his cover!

I never assign any points for reactions. It doesn't fit with my proactive style of play.