XCOMUFO & Xenocide

? ART- VIPER: Merged Topics

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the snakemen, would it be possible (or not too much trouble) to identify some of the ranks with different snake species?

Make the soldiers rattle snakes (complete with rattle sounds on the battlescape), maybe the leaders/commanders as king cobras (with the open hood).

-The Captain

hehe, the snakeman looks a little like the Homer Simpson of the alien world... :devillaugh: Suck in that gut, boy! Edited by j'ordos

Snakeman was actually fatter at the beginning, cos it was at first meant to be a joke. U should have seen what he/she (i dont have a clue which one, maybe both :wink: ) was holding before that weird gun :P .

• 1 month later...

Snakeman was actually fatter at the beginning, cos it was at first meant to be a joke. U should have seen what he/she (i dont have a clue which one, maybe both ) was holding before that weird gun :P .

And here is another quick pic i made. It is supposed to be snakeman. I made it just to ask if it is going in right direction or what needs to be chanced.

guu.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Guest Jim69
I dunno about ne1 else, but I really like the idea of the Snakeman dragging himself along with his two arms, that'd be sweet. Was that what u were tryin to convay with the arms, or just a coincidence?

I dunno about ne1 else, but I really like the idea of the Snakeman dragging himself along with his two arms, that'd be sweet. Was that what u were tryin to convay with the arms, or just a coincidence?

That was the idea. Thats why its arms are so muscular. Have to figure out how he holds the weapon tho.

Aosar dragon look was intentional also. I just love dragons :)

Edited by j'ordos

Aren't Floaters going to be modified Snakemen??

then we could just have a dragon as Floater :D , maybe just add some cybernetic implants, they could even keep the wings... or is that just too low-tech :wink:

dragon1.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Guest Jim69

hehe, snuck that 1 in nicely, I guess I leave it upto someone else 2 decide, obviously we can't :LOL:

4 Holding his weapon, maybe he just has it in his hand and drags himself by his knuckles? Then brings it to bear when he needs? Prehaps adding another set of arms 2 hold the weapon, afterall they are aliens and we don't have to or want to stay too true to the original ( Damn, FAR too many to and too's in that sentance, :explode: )

Edit: DAMN, that dragon's cool, u done an art cource or summint?

Edited by Jim69

I don't know if some of you have read Dragonlance. In this book there are monsters called "dragonkin" (i don't know the original english name sorry :unsure: ) they have small wings and they can't fly, however these wings can act as parachute and give monster the ability to make long and high jumps.

And about dragons... Remeber the legend about st. George and dragon? maybe this what we call dragon was a beta-test of new alien lifeform?

--edited--

On the medieval picture this dragon is a size of a horse or even smaller.

Edited by demich

Guest Jim69

nah, I think a dragon would be a bit much, would really detract from the overall feel of the current aliens. However, when I saw that picture all I could c was a snakeman tryin to get out...So I had to try and edit it with PS, it aint very good but demonstrates what I mean. D'ya recon u could sketch up summint like this 4 the snakeman J'ordos? U'know, just to please me :sorry:

Edit: FFS, Photoshop is gay :/

post-29-1059949762_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim69

Well, I just gave it quick workover in photoshop just for you ^_^

(be advised, it was VERY quick, so there are some errors in it for now, and I've left a great deal of detail out as it's late :zzzzz: ...)

snakeman.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Yeah, beef up the body and arms a bit. Maybe add some scaley armor or something. Change the expression on the face, but dont change the face itself for now, i quite like it too.

Guest Jim69
And add the arms that dragged it across the floor, I thought those were a really good idea. Maybe if it has 2 sets of arms, one set to pull it along and one set 2 hold the gun? Could explain it as Genetic Modification.

Hey, I didn't intend to start working on the Snakeman here :cussing:

Ah well, I've scavenged some parts from the Sectopod to make a new one quickly (too bad, hadn't read Jim69' post yet...)

snaker2.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

What do you mean? The armor scales on his back and belly? Or his cybernetic right arm?? (I just did that to try it out, but it's not quite visible as it's behind it's body and the other arm...) Edited by j'ordos

Well, actually, that's sort of what I meant: one arm is surgically removed and replaced by a cybernetic one, but one that incorporates a weapon in itself. There would have to be different 'models' of snakemen then though, one for each weapon (plasma pistol -> heavy plasma, blaster launcher, stun launcher,...), and the original arm could be used for throwing a grenade, using a mind reader,...

Picking up a gun from a snakeman corpse would be a little harder then ^_^

ive always had a problem with how snakemen hold themselves upright like that, it doesnt really make sence...

of course for style and gameplay reasons it may be better upright... maybe it could just hug the floor more when its moving then rear-up when it stops or shoots

jim: i was thinking that this aditional arms can act as legs... ;) That is the reason why i've said that it will be looking as a dinosaur :D

The cybernetic arm is a great idea! And there is no need of making diffrent snakemen models. We can make a snakeman model with only one hand and 3-4 arm types that will be acting as a weapon.

hippyjon: they do it the same way as cobra does :)

I have been inspired by those pics ... here is the result. Please don't laugh ;)

The cube is 2x2x2[m]

http://republika.pl/demich/snakeman.jpg

I didn't mean different 3d-models, but actually different ingame 'sorts' of snakemen. And there was an idea about different ranks having slightly different looks, so in the end there'd be like 5 weapons * 5 ranks = 25 different snakeman possibilities: soldier/plasma pistol->soldier/blaster launcher through engineer/heavy plasma all the way to leader/blaster launcher Edited by j'ordos

Just use 1 model and different skins to seperate ranks, easier IMO.

Guest Jim69

I recon just have the extra arm holding a gun rather than being built 2 it, removes NE complications.

Demich: The reason I said why would it look like a dinosaur would be that the arms would be at sholder level, and would look a little like how a gorrila drags its arms across the floor, only dragging itself. But since that has been ditched I guess it's a moot point.

Hmmm, that worm seems to have either

1) Grown an arm. How did it do that?

2) Been borm with only one arm. Poor thing.

I dont think i like the idea of the snakemen having cybernetic arms. Not necessarily from a modelling point of view, but just from a concept pov.

I also think they absolutely should not have long arms that they use to drag themselves around.

Imo those teeths looks like zipper. Maybe overmind got tired of snakemens voice and installed zippers to their mouths :) . Model looks fine to me. Add few polys and it would be great.

Here are some other ideas based around snake-like creatures with arms, courtesy of D&D:

snakemen.jpg

Personally I like the far right version, just put a plasma rifle there instead of a sword. The first one could be interesting too, half biped half snake, but the third looks cooler IMO.

Guest Jim69
Couldn't you say so a bit earlier :angry:

Now I had to make do with Breunor's tiny pic...

This is again done very quick, just pretend it's holding a plasma rifle ^_^

I like it, but the neck-like part should be a lot thicker. I just think I could snap that neck :)

As I said: very quick ^_^ I know there's a lot left to change, like the neck, size/shape of arms, size of head... It's just to get an overall feeling, not a detailed anatomical drawing :rolleyes:

Besides: you all liked that third one, which has a small neck... -_-

Edited by j'ordos