XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ok, Sir, Craft X Has Been Refueled

The following happened to me during one of the XCOM sessions...

Skyranger returns to base after a long trip and begins refueling. Suddenly, terror site appears. Horror begins. I'm continously pressing intercept to see if Skyrangie is already refueled. Finally it is refilled, and I send it, but 30 minutes after refueling. Skyranger flies, terror site vanishes. It wouldn't happen if I'd know when the craft was refueled, I'd send it immediately and I wouldn't waste time.

A small window might pop up: "XXX-1 has been refueled" with two buttons:

"Intercept"

"Cancel"

Of course, that could be turned off in options.

What do you think?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, more importantly you would want to be able to send the skyranger out before it finished refueling. But a popup would be nice.

Is there going to be a message bar, where message can show up without them having to be a popup? Bit like in Apoc.

It would be nice to have an option to send any craft out at any time. If it's not full of fuel, it could show maximum range available next to it. Then you'd need to know a range estimate to the target site. If the craft is damaged, I can understand it not being available until 100%, because they'd likely take it apart some to reach internals. You could also have an 'intercept when full' option that would send the craft out asap.

Nah, the usual "Low on fuel" messages would still work. It would auto return when it was running out of fuel. I guess that means you would not know if you are going to make it though. :huh?:

Agreed, damage makes more sense.

This is V99+++++, but we COULD have a different way of sending out craft. When u intercept summint u would move the mouse and a line trace from the base 2 the mouse position would come up with info above sayin the distance and the amount of fuel left. When u go out of it's range the line would change colour, maybe from green 2 red.

Another idea - maybe if you go slower, less fuel is used. When you select destination, line is green for max speed, yellow for down to half speed, orange for 1/2 -1/4 speed, and red for unable to comply.

Finally it is refilled, and I send it, but 30 minutes after refueling. Skyranger flies, terror site vanishes.

:blink: huh!?! i never knew that could happen, im pretty sure that terror sites CANNOT dissapear as long as a ship is enroute, thats why i always send interceptors soon as one pops up right before the 1st interceptor arrives at it i send another enroute... till i get the right amount of light then i send my sky ranger.. (sorry after doing 8 terror sites in pitch black i decided hey lets quit wasting flares and just go during the day :wink: ) but yea, in xenocide i dont think this "cheat" should be allowed.. it wasnt realistic

"master gorg, can we start slaying humans?"

"nooo we must wait for the xcorps to arrive, they are still enroute"

"but master they have been enroute for the past 8 hours... the sun will rise"

"silence!, there is an interceptor on its way, and after the skyranger fuels it will be here"

I thought in the case of the Skyranger - either wait 8 hours to refuel and hope, or send it out now, at a very slow speed, and it should get there several hours before the other option....

Finally it is refilled, and I send it, but 30 minutes after refueling. Skyranger flies, terror site vanishes.

:blink: huh!?! i never knew that could happen, im pretty sure that terror sites CANNOT dissapear as long as a ship is enroute, thats why i always send interceptors soon as one pops up right before the 1st interceptor arrives at it i send another enroute... till i get the right amount of light then i send my sky ranger.. (sorry after doing 8 terror sites in pitch black i decided hey lets quit wasting flares and just go during the day :wink: ) but yea, in xenocide i dont think this "cheat" should be allowed.. it wasnt realistic

"master gorg, can we start slaying humans?"

"nooo we must wait for the xcorps to arrive, they are still enroute"

"but master they have been enroute for the past 8 hours... the sun will rise"

"silence!, there is an interceptor on its way, and after the skyranger fuels it will be here"

Yeah, but the problem of having terror sites dissappear is that sometimes you might not be able to get there on time.

For instance, lets say that your base is in the central us, and there is a terror site smack dab in the middle of russia. So, it would take your skyranger at least a few hours to arrive. By then, any civilians would be quite dead.

Therefore I don't think that terror sites should dissappear.

Maybe only troop transports count? That way you couldn't send an interceptor to the crash site to keep it there Although you still could use a second troop carrier with one soldier in it to 'hold' the terror site, it would be less useful.

If terror sites cant disappear, and you are allowed to 'hold' them, then surely by the time you get there the terror part of it should be over. The aliens are going out there to kill civilians and cause havok, they arent going to sit around and have a cup of tea, waiting for Xcom to arrive.

Terror sites should absolutely disappear, if your too slow getting to them.

Yeah, but miceless the skyranger is very slow, and sometimes terror sites happen 8 hours travel time from your base. Sure it's unrealistic, but gameplay should go before realism. It is a game after all.

What im saying, is that we should give terror sites enough time for a skyranger to get there from across the planet.

Otherwise, I can see it now: "What the heck! All of the terror sites dissappear before my skyranger can get there." "The un cut my funding because the skyranger couldn't get to the terrorsite!! "FUX0R if-you-see-keigh this sux0r! Bloody arseholes!" "Beep-beeeeeeep-beep-beeeeep-beeeeeeeeeep."

Yeah, but more bases means that you have to hire more rookies, and spend millions of moola, and I rarely have enough money to do buy another skyranger anyway. Plus I have to equip my men with armor and weapons.

Well, it's the name of the game, covering more ground. Maybe they should stay around a little longer but that keepin them there indefinatly seemed like a bug 2 me IMO and should be fixed.

youre right, but Im saying that it should stay long enough for your skyranger to get there even if your first base is a long ways away.

And you can't expand beyond your first base since after atleast your second terror site.

I know it's unconventional but why can't you launch damaged and possibly refueling craft. I mean, If there is a terror mission and your avenger is 5% damaged you should be able to send troops there. Obviously there would be a warning when you do something like this but if it's an emergency, why not?

Well, launching craft with a less than full tank has been discussed, but launching damaged craft has not and I think that it is a good idea, so you should bring it up probably in the workshop. Also see the topic in the lab.

But these are good ideas. This one infact might be doable for v1. Keep on em.

Indeed, some of the civies would already have to be dead, and you should lose points for that. The score you get should somehow reflect the response times, and i think the civilians would be the way to do that.

If you think about it, the aliens could probably kill all the civs in about half an hour, but well forget about that shall we?

That would be unrealistic, but I suppose it could be implemented and noone would notice (well, they might get suspicious).

I still feel that none of this should be necessary. You have to accept that things cant always go your way in the war.

Edited by miceless

Yup I agree with that, u shouldn't blatently help peeps with prolonging T sites and moving them closer 2 u, u should just have 2 accept that u can't get 2 every T site, just like u can't shoot every UFO down.

Indeed. If you start leading them through the game like babies then weve failed.

Exactly how the scoring occurs can be discussed later. Should the user lose points for civilians killed before the craft lands? If so, how do we decide how many die? Should damage to property be included? How do we count that? Etc etc...

Well, I think that scoring should only handle what happens when your guys were there. Also, property damage should not be counted imo, because, if there happen to be cyberdiscs are at that terror site then prop costs will be through the roof. And if not, then it will be practically nothing!

+ I want to use HE/IC :naughty: , so I agree, property damage should not be counted. But I do think that if you're slow to respond (for whatever reason, so if there's going to multiplayer shrewd alien players would send in a juicy target first and THEN go for a terror mission :devillaugh: ), there should already be a number of civilians dead. That would encourage you to attack ASAP, but to compensate your Skyranger should be able to lift off without full fuel load, maybe even some small damage

(which reminds me, there's another thread out there with the same subject, I'll merge those)

Oh, if it does not have enough fuel aboard to reach the terror site, there should be a button: 'intercept when enough fuel is loaded to reach target: terror site-xx' or something like that.

But, I much like the idea of letting the aliens not attacking until you get there...

downside is, that's somewhat ( ^_^ ) unbelievable, "oh, xcom's not here yet. Let's wait an hour before shooting anyone, shall we"

Edited by j'ordos

At this rate the entire screen will be filled with buttons that cater for every conceivable situation, however remote.

And the idea of the aliens waiting for you is somewhat unrealstic. However, i could possibly have a word with them and see what we can sort out.

Thank you miceless.

I know its unrealistic, but I enjoyed it the way it was.

Wait, didn't some civies actually die before you get there? Some terror sites have 15, some have 6 some 8 and so on. So what is the reason for this? Some people are away? NO! The aliens start killing before we get there! :D Sure I don't find corpses, but we could say that the aliens ate them, or took them for whatever reason!

I think you could break it down in game terms so that you have certain penalties for showing up late. After, say, 5 game minutes of a Terror site being active, the game in a terror site, you have say, 100 minutes to get there before the aliens' mission is completed. You have a 1 percent penalty for every game minute their mission has elapsed until you interfere.

Looks like you need to choose a better base site... or build faster aircraft. ;p

The time frames were examples. I would imagine the time frames would be random durations between a certain number of hours... like 5 and 20 or something.

Hang on - there ARE enough cities within 2-3 hours of your base, maybe the aliens think you cannot get there, or maybe they don't know about your base, so they just terrorise any city.

Well, maby they should terrorize large cities first? I mean, they go for new york, Washington, Boston, etc. So players would put their bases near population centers. I mean, would the aliens really attack a backwater like the capital of Kenya? (happened to me once, forgot name) :D ?