XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Infiltration and Terror Alien missions (not sites)

Greetings.

I have two questions.

First: how do i prevent infiltration? Superhuman, may, I have scouts flying with "infiltration" to "europe". I manage to take every scout down before it vanishes, but not before it reaches somewhat around London. It never lands either. I thought its all right, until recently a terror ship with "infiltration" came. I shot it down too, but now, is the infiltration still successfully going on? How do you stop infiltration exactly?

Second: terror missions. I have terror and medium scout ships showing with mission "Terror". They aim for Siberia or north africa mostly. They DONT actually create a terror site for me! They just float round, they even LAND but they dont generate a terror site when they land. Their behavior is just like that of an alien research or abduction or harvest. Can someone tell me about those "terror" missions. Do they just earn alien points similar to other missions (50 for landing and not being disturbed, 1 per 30 minutes of flying, 2 per 30 minutes of landing)? How do they relate to actual terror sites? I have never ever before seen a terror ship with terror mission that would generate a terror site for me...

I'm not too well versed in the topic, but from what I understand, you can only delay infiltration by shooting down the early scouts, but not necessarily stop it. The mass infiltration fleet that appears is just for show, which means the country has been targeted for infiltration and will very likely withdraw funding at the end of the month. There's always the chance that it will not.

By the time you have lost a lot of countries, you should already be collecting enough Heavy Plasmas from the aliens from each mission to fund your operations and not have to worry about country funding.

As for those UFOs on 'terror' missions. they are just an early phase of an terror wave. They're scouting for a place to attack, just like alien retaliation missions that send small ships out to look for your base.

Not counting missions where UFOs are sent directly to attack a base/city, when the aliens decide to do a certain mission in any one of the 12 world regions, the game will schedule a series of UFOs one after the other before actually sending the main UFO in to perform the mission. Shooting down the scouts only pushes back the date for the next scheduled UFO by a random amount.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

In other words, after i see a very small "infiltration" scout i can just give up on country, meaning, nothing matters of my actions, only a random, either it will fall or it will not?

Do the early terror missions also follow initial "scouts" i mean, i never saw terror scouts early in the game, only terror sites (which appear w/o any ship initiating it, though since i dont have hyperwave i might just have not detected it)

There is no way to loose the game except the three (loose every base, be in debt two times, have score below allowed two times?) meaning even if every country is infiltrated, i'm fine as long as my score is okay, money ok and bases are standing?

If i have built inpenetrable defense, (grav + some fusionballs), have lasercanons on autoproduction, and shoot down some ufo for scores, this means there is no way to loose the game and you can never bother with fighting infiltrations?

From the discussions I've read by those who are familiar with what's going on in the game, that's the same impression I have as well with regards to losing countries to infiltration. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't stop trying all the same. The longer you can hold them off, the easier it will be for you to prepare yourself to find some other means of generating cash.

As for the terror sites, I think the game schedules a terror attack each month, or at least I know it does in TFTD. There might be some randomness in it. If the terror mission is scheduled in this way, it won't have a scouting party.

As for base attacks, in addition to finding the base with scouts, base attacks are also generated when you shoot down UFOs. Every UFO you shoot down has a 2% chance of creating a base attack mission on the interceptor's home base. For these ones, there aren't any scouts. When the battleship appears, it will start attacking the base right away.

But yes, as long as you don't lose your last base, keep your scores up and stay out of debt, then you should theoretically be able to for as long as you want. By the way, as an alternative to the laser cannon manufacturing plant, consider having a supply ship farm. Let snakemen or floaters build a base, then build a base next to it with a Skyranger. Wait for the supply ships and send the Skyranger to attacked them when they land. The overall benefits from capturing the supply ships are often more rewarding than the manufacturing plant, as you get combat experience, equipment to sell and just one supply ship is often enough to counter any of the activity generated by the alien base for that month.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Do the early terror missions also follow initial "scouts" i mean, i never saw terror scouts early in the game, only terror sites (which appear w/o any ship initiating it, though since i dont have hyperwave i might just have not detected it)
Depends on what you mean by scout.

The first month, one of the starting mission series is guaranteed to be in the same region as your first base. The guaranteed mission is not the standard monthly Terror mission series. While I like to play with my first base just southwest of Nigeria, even that doesn't guarantee getting interceptors to the terror UFO scouts in time if their target zone is Siberia, Australia, or North America (even with launching at first graph uptweak)

Of course i do the "supply ship piracy" :) Floaters were so nice to build a base just some hundred miles away from my main base :)

Still laser canons make great income, since, you dont have anything to do with that base space anyway, after you have hangars, stores and base defenses, you're sill left with space that workhops naturally take

And also, since you get bases established all over the globe, if you only use elerium powered craft you must do alot of missions with grounded (not shot down) ufos to supply that, like, numerous bases and taking every supply ship they summon. If you use interceptors, you gotta pay 600 000 for every interceptor every month and thats kinda LOT so i consider laser canons kinda mandatory to survive (when biggest contributing countries stop funding me).

Actually w/o infiltration it would be really nothing to spend money on when you get all those bases up, with it its at least partially a trouble )