XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Why should I eleminate this base?

I have my first base set up in what I think is Kansas, right smack dab in the middle of the United States. The Sectoids have just set up a base in either West Virginia, Ohio, or western Pennsylvania (hard to tell with these maps). They keep sending supply ships to the base and I keep commandeering those supplies by sending my soldiers to confiscate them from the landed ships.

I've already managed to capture an alien commander from one of the battleships that landed when they were setting up the base. I haven't done the research to need it yet (still early in the game. It's only February and I've only completed personal armor and laser cannons).

On the other hand, up until now I've had a major cash flow problem. Now my stores are overflowing with 1,150 units of "useless" elerium (haven't researched anything that needs it) and lots of alien weapon clips I can't use yet. I've been selling excess weapons. I can't purchase any new missiles, rockets or grenades due to the elerium taking up too much room. My interceptors are stuck with laser cannons.

The month is coming to a close. What is the down side of allowing the base to persist so I can finance building full-fledged bases around the world via commerce raiding? I have $7million. Right now the second base in Europe is in the early stages of construction.

The downsides I'm asking about are twofold.

One: Leaving the base alone and constantly attacking every supply ship that lands.

Two: Expanding very quickly as if I'd edited the save game and given myself tons of money, but without cheating. If for no other reason than to build more general stores to hold Elerium and plasma clips until later when the Muttons show up.

Will the aliens escalate more quickly before I can research things like power armor, plasma weapons, and firestorm interceptors? Will the base supply "mine" suddenly go dry after a while with me consistently depriving them of supplies leaving me with no way to finance the new bases?

The only downside is the 5 alien activity points generated each day. But just one successful Supply Ship raid covers you for the month. Of course, if you feel it's generating too much cash, perhaps limit how many you raid each month and let some go. Alien tech-wise, there will be nothing to worry about. The chance of the more advanced alien races appearing is based on a schedule, and missions will appear and escalate in the usual manner.

You could find ways to spend more money. Build larger and more elaborate bases. Hire lots of engineers and let their salaries soak up the excess cash, building only when you need something. Make tanks and use them as careless scouts. Use more explosives. Use hired aircraft for the majority of your fleet and use only a few advanced ships. Etc. Or, of course, just destroy the base. ;)

Note that you can still manufacture goods when your stores are full. It's just buying and moving stuff into the base and out of the Skyranger that are affected. Making and recovering equipment allow you to go beyond capacity.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

The only downside is the 5 alien activity points generated each day. But just one successful Supply Ship raid covers you for the month. Of course, if you feel it's generating too much cash, perhaps limit how many you raid each month and let some go. Alien tech-wise, there will be nothing to worry about. The chance of the more advanced alien races appearing is based on a schedule, and missions will appear and escalate in the usual manner.

You could find ways to spend more money. Build larger and more elaborate bases. Hire lots of engineers and let their salaries soak up the excess cash, building only when you need something. Make tanks and use them as careless scouts. Use more explosives. Use hired aircraft for the majority of your fleet and use only a few advanced ships. Etc. Or, of course, just destroy the base. ;)

Note that you can still manufacture goods when your stores are full. It's just buying and moving stuff into the base and out of the Skyranger that are affected. Making and recovering equipment allow you to go beyond capacity.

- NKF

It's not a question of too much money, but not enough storage space. That, and is there a down side to expanding ASAP and overextending. I'm going to "mine" the supply ships and establish worldwide radar coverage immediately if it won't result in escalation. As long as I can count on the base...

Instead of the first thing built being a workshop, living quarters, and general stores, I'm going to build large & small radars. This one should be fun since I was lucky to have a local base to raid and don't have to be constantly selling off laser cannons.

I'm just thankful that I had laser rifles already or I'd be up a creek being unable to restock on rockets and ammunition for my guns. Still, my interceptors are at a disadvantage with short-range laser cannons. I haven't seen an abductor, but it seems I can only take on scouts, with a high degree of danger taking on large scouts. Since I can't order more avalances, Terror ships and Battleships are to be followed at a discrete distance in the hopes they'll land, nothing else.

Edited by slickrcbd

yes you should build many new bases with general stores :)

try to hire more scientists ( 100 is sufficient )

research plasma beams and install them on your interceptors

this should solve your problem with laser cannons

( as NKF pointed you CAN manufacture items even if you are short on storage capacity )

actually you have been very lucky!!

sectoid base nearby, and in the first or second month of the game

( its the dream of mine ^_^ )

actually from now on, I would do only 2 kind of missions

a.) supply ship ... milking :)

just 1 mission and you have regained more than 150 points

which is the cost of one active alien base per month

b.) alien base missions for blaster launchers and its ammo

( plus some engineers, medics and navigator ... whatever I need )

other than that I would just shot down any other ships ( and ignore their crash sites )

since there is nothing more valuable in them, than in supply ships or alien bases

( perhaps with the exception of new live aliens to fill all ufopaedia entries )

as for stores I reccommend to hold at least 1 of each item

plus:

~100 plasma clips ( for any plasma gun you use )

~1000 elerium ( I would just build additional stores to hold even more elerium :D )

~400 alien alloys ( for avenger, armors and other stuff )

~20 ufo power sources ( for advanced spacecfraft, you don't waste elerium to manufacture them by yourself )

~20 ufo navigation ( same purpose )

~50 alien grenades ( if you use them )

remember: you an always gain more from next supply ship ^_^

you can safely sell anything else, and build bases arround the world

try to capture navigator and reasearch hyper wave decoders

and build them instead of small/large radars

other than that you can just research psionics, than screen your soldiers

and train your psi masters dream team

yes, correct

you've got everything you need to finish the game

( after I have ~40 milions I do only psi training missions, and then cydonia )

yarrow

ps.

cash limit is: 7F FF FF FF

( use your windows calculator to convert to decimal :P )

Edited by yarrow