XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Should I research plasma RIFLEs first?

slickrcbd

I've started a relatively new game. I've researched lasers up to laser cannon (for profit) and personal armor.

I'm trying to decide what to research next. I've got a secotid leader and navigator in containment, but I'm also accumulating a lot of elerium, alien aloys, and plasma clips, especially plasma rifle clips.

I'd like to get the plasma cannon and the hyperwave dcoder. Normally I'd go for the decoder first, but I'm going to have to sell some clips to free up my general stores.

Should I research the plasma rifle instead and start using up those clips or just sell them and continue to use laser weaponry for the time being?

Either is a good option. For overall value, the heavy plasma is the better choice but it's not much good if you don't have many in supply to warrant using them.

The plasma rifle on the other hand can be researched faster, and is a decent training weapon for high accuracy soldiers. In the meantime, your laser rifles do give you enough stopping power to deal with pretty much anything for most of the game, so you've got a bit of space to work.

- NKF

Normally I'd ignore plasma until later. Much later. Not until the medium scout ships stop appearing in favor of larger, more dangeorus ships that avalanch missiles can't handle.

I usually proritize the hyperwave decoder and the power armor, then take into consideration what kind of UFOs are appearing along with whether or not I've gotten a Sectoid leader/commander to interrogate. If I can still get by with interceptors with avalanche missiles and/or laser cannons, I go for psionics. If there are no captured psionic aliens, I'll make that a priority for battles and research the mind probe. Otherwise I'll try tobresearch the captured aliens I do have. I'll also try to research "alien origins" and the other similar things along that path until it says "we need a captured leader", THEN research the leader. Ditto for the Commander.

In short, normally I hold off on the plasma weapons until later in the game so that I can amass a decent stockpile of clips. The problem is I have such a stockpile now, of plasma rifle clips. I don't have many heavy plasma weapons. The 117 plasma rifle clips are the reason I'm considering researching plasma early. Haivng the plasma canon is always nice too. Saves money on avalanch missiles.