XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Best Purchasable Weapon

What is the best basic (purchasable) human weapon?  

419 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted autocannon. Sure it's heavy, but not as heavy as the Rocket Launcher. If your soldiers are a bit on the weak side you start out with only one clip each, more then enough for the first missions, where one rocket doesn't last long and is not very practical in a UFO :D

So allround starter weapon I think the autocannon is best.

I perfer the rocket launcher. It is useful throughout the game, from sectoids and floaters (and their associated terrorists) to etherials and sectopods. Plus, the rocket launcher is cheap and accurate (reasonably).

Mehh, you can still take out Floaters with it :D

But I discarded my rocket launchers much sooner than my autocannons, I once took a couple of those with me to Cydonia as well :hammer:

That doesn't mean the rocket launcher is bad, but if your men are weak they sometimes can't even fire one shot because they loose their tu's. And they're limited in amount of shots they can carry, of course, although one can do it most of the time ^_^
Problem is if your soldier misses, which can happen frequently if they're weak and shoot something way off target, you can't fire another shot just like that. And you can forget about CQB as well :whatwhat: Edited by j'ordos

:LOL:
You don't care about your rookies??? :o What kind of... of... MONSTER are you??? :wacko:

Seriously, I do not buy one single kind of weapon though, I always keep a nice mix of available weapons. I just started a new game, and now my Skyranger is equipped with 14 men: 2 rocket launchers (4 missiles each, 3 large 1 IC), 2 heavy cannons (3 clips, one of each kind), 2 autocannons (see heavy cannon), 4 laser rifles and 4 laser pistols, with 2 stun rods and 4 heavy explosives. And 16 grenades, 8 smoke grenades and 8 proximity mines. Edited by j'ordos

I like Stun Rifles, mainly because it is the only thing the game doesn't give you straight away so I wasn't including the rifles or flare guns ( oh yeah, they call em Auto Cannon's don't they :D ) I just love playing the "Who can get the closest to the Sectoid Navigator without being shot" game, it's suprising how many of my troops can take a full on heavy plasma bolt and still run like the wind only carrying a cattle prod :LOL:

The autocannon by far surpasses the rocket launcher. Sure the RL has more *umph*, but you can only carry 4 rounds, and if you miss, then your screwed. At least the auto cannon has power, accuracy, and lots of ammo. The RL is good for lots of aliens in a small area, but when is that going to happen? It does, but not that often. <_<

rocket launchers and autocannons. they work best together, rocket launcher for long range destruction (eg. group of aliens) and autocannon for long range accuracy or in-doors combat (eg. inside building/UFO)
i hate that their counterparts on tftd (hydrojet cannon / torpedo launcher) can only be used underwater :whatwhat:

Does anyone still freak out when a rookie with a Rocket Launcher "accidently" shoots straight at 4 of your guys (In other words, misses the target and kills for of your guys)? I jump everytime. :Blush: Damn ROOKIE!!! :cussing: Can't you aim?!?! Oh... wait.... you can't. :wacko: LOL! :LOL:

I voted Rocket Launcher, if my soldiers are weak they will get stronger won't they? I like the damage the rocket launcher does and it's great for blowing up farm walls to get to that alien sniping out of the window if you are carrying enough rockets :naughty:
yes the auto cannon is better but I just like the rocket launcher more :happybanana:

i go for auto cannon

i allways use HE type for fighting.
if it blows near the target chances are :hurting or kiling.
the HE is good for small ufos, you know when u enter and u see 6 poping up to your face. i think it would be good to shoot that or suicide with a nade in there.

i rarley use rocket launcher. i may have used them if i had forgot to sell them or for fun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think the stun rod is the best. It has the best long term potential. Find one large sectoid UFO and capture the Navigator and Leader, and you've got the best two technologies on the first month! It's also so very satisfying to walk though a door, see a sectoid in your face, and shove 10,000 volts into his scrawny body. :spank:
I like the autocannon too, but I'd have to count AP rounds out. That's what you have all your guys with rifles for. Incendiary rounds are the perfect tool for lighting up those dark missions, and with autoshot, the autocannon-I is useful for the entire game. HE is perfect for rookies with terrible aim, and is very useful at the beginning. The only downside to the autocannon is that it's the first thing equipped later in the game. (before LRif and HPlas, at least) I hate spending extra time on every day-time mission to get my elite warriors equipped with heavy plasma, instead of the autocannon. <_<

[quote name='j'ordos' date='Nov 23 2003, 09:32 PM']Then try xcomutil, it has an automatic re-equipping based on previous mission feature (it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing :) )[/quote]
with me it's damn buggy. if the number of soldiers on the craft changes (eg. wounded) some get overequipped, thus losing vital TUs. in other cases a soldier may be carrying more equipment than he actually can, thus getting u stuck if u try to move one of those over-equipped items and he doesn't have enough TUs for it (the item gets stuck on your cursor)

My personal favourite is the rocket launcher. My early game strategy is to sell all my pistols and rifles and buy up launchers and large rockets. Enough so that my squad has a launcher each and three rockets a piece.

Admittedly in some terror missions my troops kill more civvies (and occasionally eachother) than the aliens do, but the fact that all the rookie has to do is put the rocket somewhere near the target to get a kill helps immeasurably(sp?)

HiX is the most powerful weapon after blaster launcher, it's effective in every case and if you have even 2 rookies with almost 40 strength and over 70 throwing accuracy, they can pwn everything. With 40 strength, soldiers can throw it far enough to make it the best buyable weapon there is!

Anouther reason for Autocannon, even the makers of the game thought so to, that's why in Xcom ii the equivalent of the autocannon was made less powerful (only works in water). This was because the autocannon (especially loaded with HE ammo) was so VERY effective, it was the equivalent of throwing up to 9ish grenades per turn but with with no range limit (provide line-of-site) existed.

• 2 weeks later...
High Explosive.

! 3 aliens hiding in a building, taking pot shots at you? No problem! Toss the HiX, boom, and no more aliens.

Its has a huge radius, can be thrown pretty far and it lands where you want to everytime. And its great for taking down walls that aliens are hiding behind as well!

Hi Explosive pwns. heck, I tossed them in fields just to see them go off.

I just noticed your list doesn't include Avalanche Missiles. They're purchaseable. The only think wrong with them is limited shots otherwise there as good as plasma Cannons.

• 2 months later...
:blink: I hate avalanche missile launchers and fusion ball missile launchers. If your craft arms them in both slots then the last shot is always wasted, cause the craft would automatically disengage and change to following only mode after all the ammo's gone, so as soon as the last missiles are away, it would fall behind the target and those missiles are out of range (even though they are not suppose to be).

As far as the beginning goes, rifle is the best weapon. Accurate, fast, light and powerful. They have the best combination, until laser rifles come out. Then I just arm all my guys with laser rifle. For a long time in the game I seem to have 10 guys with laser rifle in personal armor and a laser tank for my Skyranger, but before that happens I just arm my guys with whatever in the inventory + a cannon tank.

Autocannon is okay, but rocket launcher is ridiculous to be put on a rookie. They use too much TU and too heavy. People who like rocket launchers probably played too much FPS games. Granted you can kill pretty much anything in one shot with a large rocket, it's just too cumbersome. Same thing with heavy cannon except it's worse than the rocket launcher. At least rocket launchers have the unbeatable firepower.

Anyway I just like rifles the best, cause rookies all have poor stats and rifle is perfect for them. Heavier weapons all weigh them down and pistol isn't accurate or powerful enough. I only use laser rifles later on though and sell all the starting equips (except grenades, but I hardly ever use them anyway).

I have to disagree with you on those Rocketlaunchers... they are damned effective. For one thing, you have to get over shooting at aliens only when you see them. The rocket's blast radius is huge, so the first thing i do with my rocket guy when he gets off the skyranger is launch a big ole' rocket towards the nearest building, blowing that whole side to pieces. Not only does this ensure there are no aliens in that side of the house, but it creates smoke and fire. The smoke is great for charging your guys up, and the fire is great for illuminating targets in the night (that is, if they survive the first explosion). and once you have flying suits, the rocket launcher is god... the only time you miss is if you hit something on the way to the target, otherwise that guy your shooting at IS GONNA DIE! Not to mention being able to find some choice sniper spots with the jetpack. :)

I'm going to have to contradict you slightly on the pistol's inaccuracy here.

Snapshot accuracy between the pistol, rifle and heavy cannon are 60%. They're identical.

However, the pistol has the fastest firing time of the three.

Also, compare the pistol damage with the rifle damage. There's only a 4 point difference. That's not much of a difference at all when you consider the fact that you get an extra shot.

If you use a lot of reaction fire, or use snapshots exclusively, then perhaps the pistols are a far better deal. It also features one-handed grip, which is a nice plus.

However, if you prefer to use autoshots at close range and want that 110% aimed shot, then the rifle is for you. These are perhaps the rifle's best features, I'd have to agree.

I'd toss in a combination of the two, personally.

As for myself, I feel the best bang for your buck would have to be the high explosive. Yes, it's as heavy as two grenades and is as bulky as two grenades, but cost-wise, it's far cheaper than the alien grenade (it costs no elerium). With a soldier with 40 strength or more, lobbing these monstrosities a fair distance is no problem. They're awkard, yes, and they aren't right for every event, but it's nice to have considerable firepower on a budget. ;)

- NKF

:wacko: I only use pistols later on to train my guys' reaction time after I MC all the aliens and then release them in front of my guys. Then my guys would shoot at those mutons with pistols, it's like little pellets shooting their eyes out. So much fun.

I guess I don't like the rocket launcher cause it has no finesse. It destroys anything on the ground so I don't recover as much. Same reason I don't use grenades or explosives. My guys do each carry couple grenades around but I only use them if there's a real good reason to. In TFTD I have to use them a lot, cause the aliens there are so tough to kill sometimes, but in UFO defense, laser rifle pretty much takes care of everything.

Even the mutons, fighting them with laser rifle is like fighting the Gillman with harpoon rifle on TFTD. It requires multiple shots but it's not like you don't have a chance. Fighting Lobsterman with sonic rifle/cannon and fighting Tasoth with Gauss Rifle/Heavy Gauss are both much tougher battles.

The only thing real tough in UFO defense are the Sectopods, but laser rifles are still pretty good against them somehow. What's strange is that in UFO defense you can actually capture 4 square big aliens, but in TFTD if you try to stun one, you don't get the kill but it's recovered as a corpse anyway. Bug?

Oh how about this, everybody in flying suits and armed with a rocket launcher + 4 large rockets, a laser pistol and a medi-kit. Happy frying everything. :blink:

hey hexon... i gotta secret for you...

You can load more then four rockets in your backpack!

Pick up rocket, click sort button for the stuff below, place in backpack. it should disapear and then you place another rocket on top. Be careful, you can easily overload even your strongest people at the beginning, but when your hitting up 60 stregnth, you dont have much to worry about. Having those extra shots/different types of rockets available makes the RL o so much better :D

I voted rocket launcher but I usually ship out w/ both a rocket launcher and an autocannon early on. I keep rocket launchers around until I get blasterlaunchers in large number because they're the only weapons with the stopping power to deal with cyberdisks and the range to hit distant infantry formations.
As for the ammo problem, why cheat when you can just group a gunner(with four shots) with a loader (with a pistol and another four). Use the arab tactic and fill the map with roaming missile crews.

CPL facehugger, first of all, aren't you central facehuggaria. and second, the auto cannon. It has auto, lighter than the heavy cannon, and therefore can do more damage. Edited by blehm