XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How Do You Raise Stats Of Your Soldiers?

Brute

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really want to ask some questions about stuff here.

Do you think that higher ranked with rookies can get accumlative expeirience from sub0odrinates if they merely stay with their squad and to med/flare support work? It can't be bad for thier morale

In my current game, I have been kinking donkey. Exellence all throughout the 1st year. But September was really bad. And in the 1st 2 weeks I lost almost all my best troops. So what did I do?

Soldier.dat FORWARD in time.. Anyone ever done that?

Now it's OCT '99 and I do have a couple of vet's that are not so brave.

So secto leader, it's a date?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, high ranked units must actually perform in battle (hitting enemies with bullets or explosives, using psi, using reaction shots, resisting panic, etc) in order to obtain experience. Their rank however does give a field affect on the morale of all friendly units on the field, so you won't lose morale as fast as you normally would.

The reverse is true if the high ranked unit gets killed. Everyone will lose morale faster. So a supportive role behind the front lines (or staying in the Skyranger to operate a Mind Probe) is a very good idea. Even if it's a Commander who just so happens to be the weakest soldier on the team, the morale effects can be useful.

Later on, once you get blaster launchers or Psi Amps (if you choose to use them), your Rear Commander can also participate in the battle without leaving the ship.

As for raising bravery - it's not really worth the effort to raise it. If you play well and don't lose many soldiers, you can easily recover morale in the battle by defeating the aliens. If it does get raised during low morale situations, then good. If not, then it's not so bad. Besides, if your soldier even weakens to the weakest of psi enemies (i.e. Sectoid Leaders), they're not going to fare well against Ethereals later on.

High bravery is only really important in two situations. The first is when you frequently lose lots of soldiers in the same battle, and don't get any chances to to recover morale by defeating the aliens. If you don't lose many soldiers (or you save/reload all the time), then bravery is not a big issue.

The second occasion where high morale is slightly useful is how quickly you lose morale with psi attacks. The more, the less morale you lose for each psi attack. Considering how frequent the aliens use their psi attacks, the morale you'd save with high bravery would easily be broken down with one or two extra psi attacks. That's it. Basically its effects are very minimal for protecting against psi attacks. It would be better to concentrate on getting troops with high psi strength instead.

- NKF

That'll have to wait until you get the Psi Lab. They'll appear for soldiers that have trained at least one month. Grab a sectoid leader/commander or any ethereal to get one if you haven't got it yet.

- NKF

• 1 year later...

NFK, just to clarify the "Soldier 0" phenomena you guys were discussing earlier.. I'd like you to clarify a bit.

Who gets the XP?

A few scenerios:

-Does the soldier who PRIMED the Grenade?

-Does the soldier who THREW the Grenade LAST?

-Do ALL soldiers who threw the Grenade? (In the case of grenade chain.. Soldier A primes and drops, Soldier B picks up and throws to Soldier C, etc)

Or, does "Soldier 0" only get credit if the grenade WAS NOT THROWN (And therefor assigned to) the last Soldier who carried it?

Make sense?

At the start of the mission, all grenades default to the unit that is in slot 0, which is either the first soldier on the ship or the first tank, since they take priority over soldiers (so they get to leave the ship first).

Grenade ownership is only assigned to the person when the grenade is thrown, and only when it is thrown. Any other action will not do this. Therefore, only the last person to throw the grenade gets the experience.

So, if you wanted, you could have one really weak soldier toss a primed high explosive to another who is wearing a flying suit. The flying suit soldier then picks it up, flies it over an alien and then drops it. When the grenade explodes, the weak soldier that threw the high explosive will get the 'hit' credit(s).

Or if you use the scenario where the grenade was never thrown in its lifetime, unit 0 on the ship will get the credit.

- NKF

Edited by NKF