XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Plasma Principles

isn't there still the unresolved issue about xenium not being needed for plasma weapon research? (which sounds strange to me, how can you understand a principle without knowing about its critical component?)

the latest corrections haven't been worked in yet. or am I missing something? perhaps someone could post a "final" corrected version. (I could try, if you want me to)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Azrael
isn't there still the unresolved issue about xenium not being needed for plasma weapon research? (which sounds strange to me, how can you understand a principle without knowing about its critical component?)

the latest corrections haven't been worked in yet. or am I missing something? perhaps someone could post a "final" corrected version. (I could try, if you want me to)

Complete understanding on how Xenium-122 works is not necessary, you only need to know you use it for this in the plasma weaponry, where this and that happens to it and presto!, plasma weapons!

You can understand the basics of Xenium properties in reference to plasma technology, the complete study of it is to know ALL (or all possible) properties and characteristics.

well, according to the tech tree, you research "plasma weapon systems" as a conclusive report after you have researched all three alien plasma weapons, and the "plasma weapon systems" research is what allows you to research your own plasma weapon - the plasma cannon for your crafts.

so forgive me if I think that this is definitely something where you need a deeper understanding of xenium and how it reacts, because you are actually creating something new that uses it. :huh:

:Speach:

it is perfectly possible to research and build the alien plasma guns without knowing anything about xenium other than "you stick it in there and it makes the thing work". that's just replicating something that you analyzed. but when it comes to inventing new stuff, I'd say you need to know more about it.

\ :Speach:

in my frame of mind it would be like this:

- the plasma pistol, rifle and heavy rifle research would be "here, this weapon fires plasma, it uses xenium, and we can build it ourselves, although we don't really understand how it works"

- the "plasma weapon systems" research would be "now we have had some time to study these different weapons, and with what we now know about xenium, we know what happens inside these weapons. and we propose further research to develop our own plasma weapons."

...am I totally getting something wrong here?

Indeed, in most research topics, you just get the artifact, analyze it, you understand WHAT it does (but usually not HOW it does it), and you are able to use it and to manufacture it. That's for EU and TFTD at least.

In Xenocide, we want to explain most (if not all) aspects of the issue. Thus, I agree with Moriarty's post. Actually, that's more like the way reverse engineering works.

"Wonderful, you press this button and *BOOM*. Now, let's see WHY it goes *BOOM*" :NyaNyaNya:

Though I agree with your post, Moriarty, we in the CTD defer to the other departments because we are the most fluid; text is far easier to change than art, code, sound, or programming.... As I understand it, we have been directed to try to make as few changes as possible to elements that will affect gameplay. The best we can do is request a change, but there is no guarantee at this point whether our request will be granted. To be frank, until we get a definitive answer, there isn't much point in modifying the text to address the issue at hand.

Believe me, there are things I would really like to change to make things more logical, but you've got to choose your battles, eh? Besides, I have a bunch of delectable texts awaiting me in Phase 2! Woohoo! Aren't there a lot of texts in Active at the moment, particularly near the bottom? :hint hint:

If there are any further questions, PMing is your best friend. :D

-Asty

Guest Azrael
well, according to the tech tree, you research "plasma weapon systems" as a conclusive report after you have researched all three alien plasma weapons, and the "plasma weapon systems" research is what allows you to research your own plasma weapon - the plasma cannon for your crafts.

so forgive me if I think that this is definitely something where you need a deeper understanding of xenium and how it reacts, because you are actually creating something new that uses it.  :huh:

:Speach:

it is perfectly possible to research and build the alien plasma guns without knowing anything about xenium other than "you stick it in there and it makes the thing work". that's just replicating something that you analyzed. but when it comes to inventing new stuff, I'd say you need to know more about it.

\ :Speach:

in my frame of mind it would be like this:

- the plasma pistol, rifle and heavy rifle research would be "here, this weapon fires plasma, it uses xenium, and we can build it ourselves, although we don't really understand how it works"

- the "plasma weapon systems" research would be "now we have had some time to study these different weapons, and with what we now know about xenium, we know what happens inside these weapons. and we propose further research to develop our own plasma weapons."

...am I totally getting something wrong here?

This is how I understand it. When researching plasma weapons and their clips, you actually do research Xenium, but you do it only in reference to its usage in plasma weapons. All tests and analysis are conducted to see its destructive capability with xenium-powered weapons such as these. Imagine the aliens get ahold of a machine gun, even though they are perfectly capable of doing so, they just neglect the study of the bullets, knowing that they cause x-effect when fired, they disassamble the machine gun and learn that it just propelles (simply put) the bullets at the target, doing x-damage, with the understanding that it does piercing damage and how the machinegun actually works, they could create a better and stronger machinegun using what they learned from the captured one, but knowing little about the bullets, except that they contain gunpowder which they don't know or care how it works. Doing certain tests they can come to the conclusion that using more gunpowder allows them to create more damaging bullets (I'm just kinda rambling since I don't have nor I want to have any knowledge on weapons), etc. It's the same for X-Corps, they, after doing several research, can determine that the plasma weapon uses Xenium to turn heavy water or whatever into plasma, they can test if using more xenium makes the plasma stronger or not, or if it is in fact the xenium which does this (by taking all off), all kind of tests, by trial-and-error they gain understanding of how the weapon actually works, they haven't focused on Xenium for more than finding out that it provides energy for the reaction.

okay, that makes sense... but what is the point of the "plasma weapons" research topic, then? if it's just a kind of concluding report on plasma weapons, you wouldn't need to research it. you would just get the report as soon as all three weapons have been researched. as it is right now, and if the xenium and the explanation of how it works is left out of it, there is no information in it you haven't already gotten from the previous research.

Guest Azrael
okay, that makes sense... but what is the point of the "plasma weapons" research topic, then? if it's just a kind of concluding report on plasma weapons, you wouldn't need to research it. you would just get the report as soon as all three weapons have been researched. as it is right now, and if the xenium and the explanation of how it works is left out of it, there is no information in it you haven't already gotten from the previous research.

I have changed the Tech Tree again, now you only need a weapon+clip to gain plasma weapons, the point is to have an explanation on how plasma weapons work in general. Think of this as kinda of a bonus text, in X-Com 1 when you researched this you obtained Plasma Cannon, now you do plus a text!

I have changed the Tech Tree again, now you only need a weapon+clip to gain plasma weapons

perfect. now it makes sense. the "plasma weapons systems" ctd explains the general layout and workings of plasma weapons, and the pistol, gun and heavy gun texts concentrate on the combat-relevant details. :)

• 2 months later...

I need to see this in text without all the colors (geez, how did people ever put up with my previous color scheme?!) so I've incorporated all of Az's suggestions. I'll make my own suggestions in a following post.

[PLASMA WEAPONS]

X-Net://Perseus.Net/Alien/Weapons/[Plasma Weapons]

While plasma-based weaponry has been a staple in science fiction, the obstacles involved in reaction containment and sustainment could only be overcome with the advanced and great technical capabilities of a large facility entirely dedicated to this purpose, and even then only for a short period of time. However, the arrival of the Aliens with their advanced technology and new compounds led us to question our previous conclusions. With the study of all three types of portable plasma weaponry recovered from the battlefield, along with our superficial analysis of the unique Xenium-122, that serves as ammunition, we have finally uncovered the theory behind the functionality of plasma weapons. We now have the knowledge necessary to develop plasma weaponry of equal to or greater firepower capability than that of the Alien invaders.

All three types of handheld plasma weaponry used by the Aliens have several similarities. The heart of the plasma weapon consists of a "funnel" of superconductor magnets terminated with magneto dynamic prongs on one end, and a plasma-generation chamber at the other. Plasma generated in the chamber is forced through the magnetic funnel by a brief electromagnetic pulse. As the plasma passes through the funnel, it is compressed into a tight stream of particles. The magnetic prominences on the barrel then focus and accelerate the resultant plasma into tight bursts.

Another integral part of plasma weapon design is its high-efficiency heatsink. Made of a variation of the ceramic compounds found in the Alien Composites, this advanced heat sink exceeds anything we could ever make in what refers to heat tolerance. Without it, it is likely the heat generated by the plasma would produce terrible burns which would most likely cause death. It is unlikely that the weapon itself would support the heat for even a few seconds without melting. The heat sink draws the heat generated by the plasma burst from the barrel to a heat dissipater located along the edges of the magneto dynamic prongs, which also contain and disperses the powerful electromagnetic fields generated when firing the weapon.

The energy requirements to generate an electromagnetic pulse strong enough to force the plasma through the magnetic funnel would have been prohibitively high if it was not for the unique interaction between the plasma and the magnetic field of the barrel. As the plasma passes through the magnetic containment fields, it forces the magnetic field to shift away from it. Using this effect, enough power can be generated to fire the next beam simply by wrapping series of superconducting alloys along the magnetic funnel.

During our research into the invaders' captured weapons, it has been noted that they have two ammunition containers, one containing a simple Deuterium Dioxide solution, better know as heavy water. The other, however, contains a unique gel-like compound. Further testing on this unique substance revealed that it is a compound derivated from Xenium-122. When Xenium-122 crystals are exposed to X-ray laser, they fracture into a fine powder. When the resulting powder is combined with uranium, iron and carbon, the resulting mixture turns into a gel-like state.

What makes this compound unique is the fact that it has all of the attributes of plasma, yet is stable enough to be stored for long periods of time. However, when this "Plasma-gel" is mixed with heavy water, it starts a high-energy reaction, causing the Plasma-gel to convert itself into high-energy plasma. The ability to replicate Plasma-gel has proven to be vital in the creation of portable Alien plasma weapons.

We have discovered a potential method of plasma generation that might be even more efficient than that of the Alien invaders. We must learn as much as we can before this extraterrestrial menace discovers our location.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM THE DESK OF

Dr. Samuel Marshall

Xenium required for plasma conversion of 0.05 mL heavy water: 0.013 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of 3.03 g scrap steel: 0.829 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of 1.44 kg scrap wood: 4.38 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of light bulb: 0.274 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of desk lamp: 5.98 g.

Xenium required for plasma conversion of mouse trap and carcass: 0.739 g.

Edited by Astyanax

Deuterium Dioxide? Blasphemy for a chemist! It's Deuterium Oxide, the former being hydrogen peroxide in its deuterated form.

I hope you'll add/change the gravity effect of Xenium on the plasma stability, please, promise me this. All the magnets in the world won't keep alone plasma from expanding explosion-like.

I'm working on it as we speak. :)  I'll be checking with the other texts in order to maintain consistency, but I hope my comments and suggestions won't be too myriad and confusing. :P

Time to confuse Astyanax.

Xenium is produced at the edge of any black hole, when materials are compressed by the gravitational forces so much, that the quantum particles in those materials begin to accept on their quantum states more gravitons than the usual one pair per orbital. Some fragments get ejected (black holes eat about 10-20% of the atracted matter, the rest is expelled violently by high energy gamma rays) and falls on the alien planet.

This debris, which comes usually from asteroids (mainly silica, quartz-based, the heavy metallic ones do not form Xenium in a stable form) is collected and in some conditions (rotating magnetic fields) is able to eliberate back those gravitational forces (gravitons if you like) in a localized (not dispersed) form. They're able to manipulate matter at a quantum level, forcing protons (or deuterons) to ocupy the same place at the same time. In other words, instead of accelerating them to incredible speeds to make them fusionate, Xenium breaks the reppeling barrier and puts those nuclei together effortlessly, generating fusion. The same localized gravity effect keeps the fusion in the bubble, preventing plasma from expanding and melting the weapon.

The same gravity effect, stopping molecules from their motion and separating electrons from nuclei, I plan to use it for the stunning effect (if I am allowed).

Xenium is great, if you think of it :D

Mmmph... I don't know...

What you're saying does make sense, but if Xenium can facilitate such easy fusion processes, there'd be no problem creating plasma or any other high-energy reaction... for that matter, why make plasma? Fusion is extraordinarily more destructive. The existing texts would be dwarfed in comparison; they utilize Xenium's gravitic properties and energy properties, but imho, fusion is way out of scope.

There is still a lot of things that X-Corps scientists don't understand about Xenium; they know enough to use it, but as for the theory behind it, they're still trying to figure it out (at least, that's how I see it). I don't think that everything should be (or needs to be) explained.

Edited by Astyanax

Although traditional plasma weapons have stimulated highly fractured Xenium to cause an explosion...
After the two fluids contained within separate compartments of the ammunition clip are pumped into the chamber, the resulting mixture is magnetically levitated into the center. An applied electromagnetic pulse produces a tremendous explosion that transforms the raw ammunition into plasma.

The way I read these excerpts, there was an explosion (not necessarily fusion) caused by EM waves on Xenium... though now that I think about it, deuterium oxide is pretty much all about fusion. Hm... I don't know what to say. Kikanaide has a better vision of the plasma weapons than I do.

The way I read these excerpts, there was an explosion (not necessarily fusion) caused by EM waves on Xenium... though now that I think about it, deuterium oxide is pretty much all about fusion.  Hm...  I don't know what to say.  Kikanaide has a better vision of the plasma weapons than I do.

I can't imagine Xenium other than a fusion starter/quantum manipulator. As a simple explosive, which should be chemical, it will never reach the required power.

So (till Kikanaide comes to help us), what part is confusing for you in post #113?

For sure we can't replicate Xenium, since the blackhole is preeeeety far away.

Anyway, I like to explain things, if it's about matter. If you talk about molecular control, that will be a different story

Edited by dan2

Well Asty, people have already tried to produce fusion power, and have actually succeded. So what's the problem? The energy consumed in order to start/complete the reaction is much larger than the energy they receive. You don't want "a factory that outputs less energy than it takes to run it", do you? :D

So, we could say that the weapons utilise a "fusion starter/quantum manipulator" as dan said (a "fusion detonator" maybe? :wink1:), the reaction takes place, plasma is produced, it has a large speed, and instead of being thrown 360º around, they are "shown the way" via careful charging of 2 "gravitational/electrical/whatever" planes. Actually, it is described in the 2nd paragraph.

Using the "Magic Xenium", which is taken by the aliens, in "magic ways" in order to make "magic weapons" is entirely different than utilizing human technology and 20th century's physics knowledge.

[asxeto]

Mini-black holes are supposed to be able to be created in the new super-accelerator (which is also supposed to prove the existance of the Higgs bozons). So, why aren't we able to make some 10^-16 quantities of Xenium?? :D :blink: :huh?: :blink2: :hammer:

[/asxeto]

Messed things up worse? :naughty:

As far as I know, fusion reactions, thus far, require more energy to initiate than what is released.

That aside, if the Aliens have the means to initiate a fusion reaction, why aren't their weapons more destructive? There has to be some kind of limitation- some reason why it isn't a chain-reaction, a reason why the Aliens aren't harnessing fusion to its fullest destructive or beneficial uses.

Maybe it's some limitation with Xenium? At first glance, I'd say it might be because Xenium is consumed at a prodigious rate, so brief bursts of plasma might be the most effective way of of delivering the energy to targets. But then again, that totally mucks up Kikanaide's explanation for the Plasma Cannon. In that text, plasma is created via laser; the Xenium is only there as an 1.) energy source, and 2.) to keep the plasma ball from dissipating.

In some ways, I'm the opposite of dan2; I don't like to explain things exhaustively. In fact, in my Psionic Theory CT, tzuchan mentioned that I was dancing around the facts and explanations- and he was totally right. :P In this case, the middle road is probably the best course to follow. :)

I have to ask: does this energy reaction absolutely have to be a fusion-based reaction? As kafros says, "[Xenium use is] different than utilizing human technology and 20th century's physics knowledge," so maybe the deuterium is present for a reason other than fusion?

Edited by Astyanax

One limitation is the material the weapons are made of. It can support some fusion, but not too much.

But fusion doesn't really need to be a chain reaction. As I was saying, xenium joins particles that fusionate, but after it is consumed, the heat isn't strong enough to maintain that fusion unless a lot of deuterium is used (or a steady supply). Too much deuterium-> chain reaction, too little->reaction gets quenched.

The resulting plasma is still very hot, though.

I'm here to propose things, use them if you like them :)

@kafros: Well, to make Xenium using a particle accelerator will be very inefficient, because you have to use far more energy to produce it than it will actually give. Aliens get it for free from a natural big black-hole. I think....

Edited by dan2

If Xenium is consumed in the reaction, that still leaves Kikanaide's Plasma Cannon out on a limb. It's not that his text can't be changed, but I am trying to find an explanation that will require the fewest changes to other texts.

As for your explanation, I'd prefer if it was a limitation on Xenium instead of the deuterium... players might wonder why the X-Corps doesn't just use more deuterium for more power...

Edited by Astyanax

As for your explanation, I'd prefer if it was a limitation on Xenium instead of the deuterium... players might wonder why the X-Corps doesn't just use more deuterium for more power...

To prevent weapons from melting or exploding!? Each weapon design can survive up to a certain limit after which generating more plasma would be highly unsafe

Ahh, then that should definitely be explained in the text. :P

But that still doesn't account for the plasma generation mechanism in the Plasma Cannon CT...

Ok.... Plasma Cannon is a ship weapon, is huge, the distance between walls and plasma are not mere centimeters, but maybe half a meter. In this case, the heat transfer toward the walls from plasma with the same temperature decreases with the square distance. Plasma can be maintained in the big cannon by a small flow of deuterium that can start-up any big portion of deuterium that is injected as ammo, without the need for the xenium fusion initiation.

While for small weapons, xenium initiate each time the fusion, then a cool down period is mandatory for the safety of the user

Edited by dan2

@Asty:

As far as I know, fusion reactions, thus far, require more energy to initiate than what is released.
That's what said in other words, didn't I? :blink2:

@Dan: That's why I said (10)^(-16), I was joking :P :D

And, the cannon may act as a medium reactor, while the gun has to do the same thing in a tiiiiiiny teeny-weeny little place. So, in the gun, we need (controlled) power! The canno just devastates due to it's size

@Asty:
That's what said in other words, didn't I? :blink2:

@Dan: That's why I said (10)^(-16), I was joking :P :D

And, the cannon may act as a medium reactor, while the gun has to do the same thing in a tiiiiiiny teeny-weeny little place. So, in the gun, we need (controlled) power! The cannon just devastates due to it's size

Oh, I missed the - (minus) sign and I thought... you know what I mean. I'm glad you agree with me :)

P.S. Perhaps you can display the latest version of the text below, if you have the time

Edited by dan2

Mmmmm....braaaains (my way of saying that I returned from the dead).

Ok, so, I see a lot, and I mean a lot, of problems up ahead. I foresee that we'll have to make one of two decisions:

1) Consistency is of utmost importance - this will involve, eventually, rewriting portions of all four of my weapons texts, possibly the clips, and this entry...perhaps, perhaps, the xenium entry will avoid being touched.

2) We screwed up by not writing these in some order and making design decisions earlier - forget it and let people deal.

I prefer the first decision, but it is important that we realize what we're getting into. I can provide the reasoning behind point one if requested but here are the main points:

1) There are inconsistent views of what Xenium is, how it was created, and what properties it has. dan2 has his view, which I'm not sure I fully understand, I've got mine, and then the Xenium text has another...I can, of course, try to explain my view if asked.

2) The requirements of any model include being able to explain anti-gravity (for UFO power sources, at least I think that's still around...tell me if it isn't), Xenium-inefficient plasma generation, Xenium-efficient plasma generation, and probably the ability to spontaneously generate electrical energy.

3) The number of texts and authors involved is rapidly increasing. I suppose we should be thankful that six of the texts (all weapons + 2 clips) were written by me (by which I mean, one author and not six), but they were written in an attempt to be consistent with most of the plasma weapons text, which, unless my memory is completely gone, has drastically changed since the first entries were written. Additionally, at the time of writing the first couple, I was an immature prick and tried to redefine the way a few things worked. Many of those changes have been removed through the proofreading of my texts, but I suspect that some remain, and I still feel that changes should happen to this text. Some/many of these texts are now well on their way through the proofreading process, and this also complicates matters (and probably makes Azzy do this :Brickwall: whenever we talk about changing them).

I am willing and able to do substantial re-writes on any/all of my texts. But I'm afraid to get into that sort of thing, especially considering how so many of them are now in completed.

1) There are inconsistent views of what Xenium is, how it was created, and what properties it has.  dan2 has his view, which I'm not sure I fully understand, I've got mine, and then the Xenium text has another...I can, of course, try to explain my view if asked.

I am willing and able to do substantial re-writes on any/all of my texts.  But I'm afraid to get into that sort of thing, especially considering how so many of them are now in completed.

Maybe I was pushing my view about Xenium too much. Please, tell your theory about Xenium and if it's clear and logical, I'll be the first supporter for it.

Indeed, most of your plasma texts are finished, if they're consistent then rewriting is not a good idea.

What do you say about the laser texts, do you like them?

Maybe I was pushing my view about Xenium too much. Please, tell your theory about Xenium and if it's clear and logical, I'll be the first supporter for it.

Indeed, most of your plasma texts are finished, if they're consistent then rewriting is not a good idea.

What do you say about the laser texts, do you like them?

dan, I didn't mean that you were pushing your view too hard, just saying that it (like mine) is different from the written version, and each version explains different aspects of the stuff. In reality, my view of Xenium is pretty limited - it has nothing to do with particles but more to do with energy. It doesn't explain the gravity effect, nor the generation of charge. In fact, it only works for Xenium-inefficient plasma generation. But, while it is limited, it could probably fit into other explanations...

Are you familiar with metastable particles and potential barriers? It's introductory quantum physics - basically, ah, heck, I'll upload a quick paint-like image...sillydrawing.png

Ok, the y-axis is energy. Currently all Xenium (or, if you like, only this special "highly fractured" Xenium) is in the flat region right by the y-axis. It would like to be in a lower-energy state, as would everything. The trouble is that peak in between. To get over it, the energy of the particle has to be raised to a certain point (the height of the peak). In the case of plasma weapons, that energy is reached by exciting the particles with EM radiation. After it clears the peak it will go to the lower-energy state by releasing a whole bunch of energy (the explosion).

Before you say this is crazy - we used graphs like this in my modern physics course (undergraduate college level)... the first graph like it was used for atomic binding to demonstrate the strong force. Admittedly, at that point the x-axis actually represented a physical quantity (distance between particles), but we also talked about substances/particles that sat in such a plateau but would break down if their energy were raised sufficiently.

edit: I forgot to add (probably because it's kind of embarrasing)...I haven't, actually, you know...read the laser stuff. :( About the only laser experience I have is with VCSEL's, which, though neat, aren't going to be found in a weapon any time soon...so I've stayed clear. Though I will certainly enjoy reading them when they are finished.

Edited by Kikanaide

Guest Azrael

Whoa, guys, you're taking this into a way too deep level, don't make it unnecessarily complicated, sorry I've been a bit away these two days (or maybe three?), I'll read this text as soon as possible and give some comments I hope help a bit, last time I checked the text, it read perfectly fine (tzuchan's last draft, that is). To help me a bit, can someone please PM me a summary of what's inconsistant with the rest of the weapons?

good to have you back, Kikanaide :)

Well, what you describe here is just a graphic representation of an exotermic reaction with activation energy higher than 0, but I assure you, all explosives do the same. The trouble here is that chemical reactions are unable to make hot plasma, their flame is just around 3000 kelvin, which is not much at all. In order to have hot plasma you need some fusion there.

Oh, for sure I won't say you're craisy, I already know what you're saying.

Well, this is not getting anywhere, so I'll stop.

Have fun playing :)

yeah, you don't really need the graph, because it is kind of self evident of what and explosion is. I think what you mean is that there is highly energetic xenium, which is so energetic it is extremely unstable, so it releases energy(explosion) to become stable(or at least somewhat, something as big as xenium probably would'nt have any stable forms, so it could be a self sufficient reaction if its explosion can stimulate the surrounding xenium to explode as well, so only a small increase in energy gets it moving

dan2 - It may well be true that all existing chemicals burn at 3000K...but this is magic Xenium...nothing's to say that it couldn't release 50 or 60 eV per atom... :D

Seriously, though, I threw in the fusion stuff just because the text already had deuterium, and what good is that if you don't fuse it? :blush1: I'm fine with it being there - fairly standard EM-triggered explosion raises mixture temperature to fusion which heats to plasma while absurd (and short-range) gravity effect holds it in...sure. Hey, I might finally have caught the reasoning behind your cannon example...neat. I think either way works, but I'll continue thinking about it more.

Blehm - pretty much. I would just add that rather than unstable it is metastable - we don't want it going off because someone shook their finger at it.

Az - I'll work up a PM. Right now, sleep.

Edited by Kikanaide

Just to... complicate things more (:P):

As Dan said, that's an exothermic reaction. And, in order to fire the plasma gun, a chemical reaction takes place, right? So, why don't we say that a special calayst is used in order to "lower" that peak?

And, because I am a bit :wacko: , how do plasma weapons work EXACTLY? A chemical reaction takes place, particles are released, and with the help of EM-R it gets boosted towards the target? :huh?:

Plasma weapons work by using the heat generated by the explosion to superheat gas and then they use magnetic accelerators to fire it out of the weapons

Guest Azrael
Sorry guys, but this discussion is getting out of hand, and is going nowhere. I've read the text, and read all your comments, and I don't see any sort of problem with the text we currently have; is there a strong and valid reason for the discussion to continue? otherwise I'll consider this text as completed and we'll modify any texts to be consistant with this.

I think it's fine. I have one consitency issue, though: afaik, you don't need the xenium research for this topic. so there is no logical reason for xenium to be called xenium-122 in THIS text, as the number 122 stems from the number of experiments needed to research xenium. if I remember correctly, that is. so either we replace all occurrences of xenium-122 in this text with "the alien substance" or something like that, or we just call it xenium... which would still cause conflicts if this research topic is researched before xenium, I guess *shrugs*

Guest Azrael
I think it's fine. I have one consitency issue, though: afaik, you don't need the xenium research for this topic. so there is no logical reason for xenium to be called xenium-122 in THIS text, as the number 122 stems from the number of experiments needed to research xenium. if I remember correctly, that is. so either we replace all occurrences of xenium-122 in this text with "the alien substance" or something like that, or we just call it xenium... which would still cause conflicts if this research topic is researched before xenium, I guess *shrugs*

You're completely right, good catch! I think it's better to just remove all 122s, Xenium can be named as such even without researching it, the 122 is added to the name when it has been researched and the name is official.

So I've been asked to make a few changes, addressing the changes to the plasma weapons concept that have taken place throughout the writing of the other entries...here they are in addition deletion comment format. I've also included a few tech-tree changes. This is not, to my knowledge or desire, suddenly "my text." That is why I have gone to the trouble of providing colorized changes, so that tzuchan or the proofreading team can approve each. I have also attached comments explaining my reasoning on each. I'm going to post a clean version for reading next, because some of the changes are very hard to read in this format. The question, Asty, isn't how did we read the stuff before. The question is how did you have the patience to change all these colors?

[PLASMA WEAPONS]

X-Net://Perseus.Net/Alien/Weapons/[Plasma WeaponsPrinciples]

While plasma-based weaponry has been a staple in science fiction, the obstacles involved in reaction containment and sustainment could only be overcome with the advanced and great technical capabilities of a large facility entirely dedicated to this purpose, and even then only for a short period of time. However, the arrival of the Aliens with their advanced technology and new compounds led us to question our previous conclusions. With the study of all three types of portable plasma weaponry thorough study of a large portable plasma weapon and clip recovered from the battlefield, along with our superficial analysis of the unique Xenium-122, that serves as ammunition, we have finally uncovered the theory behind the functionality of plasma weapons. We now have the knowledge necessary to develop plasma weaponry of equal to or greater firepower capability than that of the Alien invaders.So I deleted finally because in a recently-started game of UFO Defense, I was able to research plasma rifle and clip in the first month with only the starting scientists, and only responding to the first mission I had. And I researched laser weaponry first. The other changes are just fixes with the current tech tree.

All three types of handheld plasma weaponry used by the Aliens have several similarities. The heart of the plasma weapon consists of a "funnel" of superconductor magnets terminated with magneto dynamic prongs on one end, and a plasma-generation chamber at the other. Plasma generated in the chamber is forced through the magnetic funnel by a brief electromagnetic pulse. As the plasma passes through the funnel, it is compressed into a tight stream of particles. The magnetic prominences on the barrel then focus and accelerate the resultant plasma into tight bursts. I think that the "all three types" comment is actually okay, even with the tech tree change. My reasoning - you can tell this much with three seconds of effort, and it is highly likely that all three weapons will be recovered by the time you research rifle or heavy + the appropriate clip. I realize that it is possible not to see one type (in fact, in the example above I didn't see heavy plasma because the first mission didn't have them and I didn't respond to any others), but if you are playing with a serious mindframe you will see all of them really quickly.

Another integral part of plasma weapon design is its high-efficiency heatsink. Made of a variation of the ceramic compounds found in the Alien Composites, this advanced heat sink exceeds anything we could ever make in what refers to heat tolerance. Even though the plasma is never in direct contact with any part of the weapon, considerable heat is transferred by radiation. Without it this heat sink, it is likely the heat generated by the plasma would produce terrible burns which would most likely cause death. It is unlikely that the weapon itself would support the heat for even a few seconds without melting.the weapon itself would melt within seconds, inflicting terrible burns on the user in the process. The heat sink draws the heat generated by the plasma burst away from the barrel to a heat dissipater located along the edges of the magneto dynamic prongs, which also contain and disperses the powerful electromagnetic fields generated when firing the weapon.The addition of the "never in direct contact" setence is to bring this idea in line with the thermal isolation strategies used in the weapons texts. The others are either stylistic or clarification.

The energy requirements to generate an electromagnetic pulse strong enough to force the plasma through the magnetic funnel would have been prohibitively high if it was not for the unique interaction between the plasma and the magnetic field of the barrel. As the plasma passes through the magnetic containment fields, it forces the magnetic field to shift away from it. Using this effect, enough power can be generated to fire the next beam simply by wrapping series of superconducting alloys along the magnetic funnel.This reaction was not used in any of the smaller text, and I think is no longer necessary given the gravity effect that I'll mention in the next paragraph.

Xenium has an important property that allowed the Aliens to overcome all of the theoretical barriers to plasma weaponry. When in the form used in plasma weapons, Xenium produces an incredibly strong, but very short-range gravity field. This field is powerful enough to prevent the expansion of the plasma particles, even with their incredible kinetic energies. This lowers the energy requirement of magnetic containment to a reasonable amount. Also, this gravity field is powerful enough to carry the plasma burst along with the Xenium, which circumvents the difficulties of electromagnetically accelerating a substance made up of oppositely charged particles.That last sentence is something that has been bothering me for a while. I'd convinced myself that you could switch the polarity of the fields, first accelerating the relatively low-mass electrons and then accelerating the protons and other nuclear cores (which had been drawn toward the rear of the weapon while accelerating the electrons). But this lets us accelerate just the (I'll declare positive by fiat) Xenium particles and have everything travel with them. It also has the awesome effect that it lets the plasma stay together and not be a one-two punch like the way I was imagining.

During our research into the invaders' captured weapons, it has been noted that they have two ammunition containers, one containing a simple Deuterium DiOxide solution, better known as heavy water. The other, however, contains a unique gel-like compound. Further testing on this unique substance revealed that it is a compound derivated from Xenium-122. When Xenium-122 crystals are exposed to X-ray laser, they fracture into a fine powder. When the resulting powder is combined with uranium, iron and carbon, the resulting mixture turns into ahas a gel-like stateconsistency.

What makes this compound unique is the fact that it has all of the attributes of plasma, yetuseful is that it is viscous enough to be magnetically levitated using the properties of the iron in it, and it is stable enough to be stored for long periods of time. However, when this "Plasma-gel"compound is stimulated with electromagnetic pulses in the presence of mixed with heavy water, it starts a high-energy reaction leading to the fusion of deuterium, causing the Plasma-gelmixture to convert itself into high-energy plasma. The ability to replicate Plasmathis Xenium-gel has proven to be vital in the creation of portable Alien plasma weapons.During the development of our plasma weapon concept, the idea of cold plasma transforming into hot plasma has been replaced by the explosion causing deuterium fusion reaction chain. The changes to this paragraph and the previous are explanations of why the gel is still cool.

We have discovered a potential method of plasma generation that might be even more efficient than that of the Alien invaders. We must learn as much as we can before this extraterrestrial menace discovers our location.

FROM THE DESK OF

Dr. Samuel Marshall

Edited by Kikanaide

This is the readable version of the text I posted above (edit: which, unfortunately, it seems has gone on the previous page). These changes are not meant to be final (please read the above introduction). I just thought that it would be useful to have a color-free version for reading. I think reading some of the sentences in their changed form will be the strongest argument for some of my changes. All changes have been documented in the above paragraph so that if there is disagreement, the change can be easily undone. The reasoning for all changes is also explained in the colorized post.

[PLASMA WEAPONS]

X-Net://Perseus.Net/Alien/Weapons/[Plasma Principles]

While plasma-based weaponry has been a staple in science fiction, the obstacles involved in reaction containment and sustainment could only be overcome with the advanced and great technical capabilities of a large facility entirely dedicated to this purpose, and even then only for a short period of time. However, the arrival of the Aliens with their advanced technology and new compounds led us to question our previous conclusions. With the thorough study of a large portable plasma weapon and clip recovered from the battlefield, along with our superficial analysis of the unique Xenium that serves as ammunition, we have uncovered the theory behind the functionality of plasma weapons. We now have the knowledge necessary to develop plasma weaponry of equal to or greater firepower capability than that of the Alien invaders.

All three types of handheld plasma weaponry used by the Aliens have several similarities. The heart of the plasma weapon consists of a "funnel" of superconductor magnets terminated with magneto dynamic prongs on one end, and a plasma-generation chamber at the other. Plasma generated in the chamber is forced through the magnetic funnel by a brief electromagnetic pulse. As the plasma passes through the funnel, it is compressed into a tight stream of particles. The magnetic prominences on the barrel then focus and accelerate the resultant plasma into tight bursts.

Another integral part of plasma weapon design is its high-efficiency heatsink. Made of a variation of the ceramic compounds found in the Alien Composites, this advanced heat sink exceeds anything we could ever make in heat tolerance. Even though the plasma is never in direct contact with any part of the weapon, considerable heat is transferred by radiation.  Without this heat sink, the weapon itself would melt within seconds, inflicting terrible burns on the user in the process. The heat sink draws the heat generated by the plasma burst away from the barrel to a heat dissipater located along the edges of the magneto dynamic prongs, which also contain and disperse the powerful electromagnetic fields generated when firing the weapon.

Xenium has an important property that allowed the Aliens to overcome all of the theoretical barriers to plasma weaponry.  When in the form used in plasma weapons, Xenium produces an incredibly strong, but very short-range gravity field.  This field is powerful enough to prevent the expansion of the plasma particles, even with their incredible kinetic energies.  This lowers the energy requirement of magnetic containment to a reasonable amount.  Also, this gravity field is powerful enough to carry the plasma burst along with the Xenium, which circumvents the difficulties of electromagnetically accelerating a substance made up of oppositely charged particles.

During our research into the invaders' captured weapon, it has been noted that they have two ammunition containers, one containing a simple Deuterium Oxide solution, better known as heavy water. The other, however, contains a unique gel-like compound. Further testing on this unique substance revealed that it is a compound derived from Xenium. When Xenium crystals are exposed to X-ray laser, they fracture into a fine powder. When the resulting powder is combined with uranium, iron and carbon, the resulting mixture has a gel-like consistency.

What makes this compound useful is that it is viscous enough to be magnetically levitated using the properties of the iron in it, and it is stable enough to be stored for long periods of time. However, when this compound is stimulated with electromagnetic pulses in the presence of heavy water, it starts a high-energy reaction leading to the fusion of deuterium, causing the mixture to convert into plasma. The ability to replicate this Xenium-gel has proven to be vital in the creation of portable Alien plasma weapons.

FROM THE DESK OF

Dr. Samuel Marshall

edit by Azrael: fixed the quote tags.

Edited by Kikanaide

Guest Azrael
Very nice Kikanaide, I like a lot the explanation of the gravitic effect of Xenium, great work. Let's hear some comments from the bloodhounds :D

I've read through it thrice, and I think it's quite good ^^. Just 2 comments:

1)

When the resulting powder is combined with uranium, iron and carbon, the resulting mixture has a gel-like consistency

I think that it should be noted that the "mixture" was produced due to a chemical reaction. Right now, it sounds as if you just put powders together. And, such a mixture doesn't "share" properties (think of the (S-Fe mixture)-(magnet) example :wink1:). Only a chemical mixtures does so :)

2) And, I can't believe that Dan hasn't yelled about it yet: :blink:

Heavy water is dideuterium oxide, or D2O or 2H2O :sly: :whip:

I've read through it thrice, and I think it's quite good ^^.
Thanks.
1)I think that it should be noted that the "mixture" was produced due to a chemical reaction. Right now, it sounds as if you just put powders together. And, such a mixture doesn't "share" properties (think of the (S-Fe mixture)-(magnet) example :wink1:). Only a chemical mixtures does so :)
A very good point...it does kinda sound like it should just be...well...more powder. Hrm. Would it be better if I said "When the resulting powder is combined with uranium, iron and carbon, the resulting mixture undergoes a chemical reaction and acquires/gains/transforms (into) a gel-like consistency." ? Or maybe even "undergoes a series of chemical reactions, acquiring a gel-like consistency in the process." Or something... preferences, suggestions?

Heavy water is dideuterium oxide, or D2O or 2H2O  :sly:  :whip:

So dan earlier posted to correct deuterium dioxide by replacing it with deuterium oxide, (no di)...I can honestly say that I don't know which is correct, because I suck (a lot) at chemical naming conventions. I know that the "di" prefix indicates 2, which is what we want, but for some reason I remember there being a rule where you don't prefix the first one if something...bleh. I hate them. Anyway, I was internet searching, and it appears that one-third of everyone uses dideuterium, one-half uses deuterium, and one-sixth acknowledges that either is correct...I'm totally confused. And, did I mention, I hate chemistry?

If you and dan2 both agree on one name, I'll use it without question. But if you folks disagree, I'm probably just going to suggest it be taken out. And just read "one containing a simple heavy water solution." Or, if we prefer, "one containing a simple heavy water solution, an isotope of water where both hydrogen atoms are replaced by deuterium."

edit by Azrael: fixed the quote tags, couldn't read it well :P

Edited by Azrael

Guest Azrael

Heavy water is dideuterium oxide, or D2O or 2H2O  :sly:  :whip:

So dan earlier posted to correct deuterium dioxide by replacing it with deuterium oxide, (no di)...I can honestly say that I don't know which is correct, because I suck (a lot) at chemical naming conventions. I know that the "di" prefix indicates 2, which is what we want, but for some reason I remember there being a rule where you don't prefix the first one if something...bleh. I hate them. Anyway, I was internet searching, and it appears that one-third of everyone uses dideuterium, one-half uses deuterium, and one-sixth acknowledges that either is correct...I'm totally confused. And, did I mention, I hate chemistry?

D20 is... not the same as 2H2O OMG

Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen, having one neutron.

undergoes a series of chemical reactions, acquiring a gel-like consistency in the process

I don't know much about chemistry either, but don't you need a catalyzer for such a reaction? now that I think about it, just putting them together wouldn't do anything... let's see what dan2 says.

Edited by Azrael

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium_deoxide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium

The chemical symbol 2H identifies deuterium. The unofficial symbol D is also often used, even though deuterium is not a chemical element in its own right. It occurs naturally as deuterium gas, written 2H2 or D2.

Heavy water is dideuterium oxide, or D2O or 2H2O. It is chemically the same as normal water, H2O, but the hydrogen atoms are of the heavy isotope deuterium, in which the nucleus contains a neutron in addition to the proton found in the nucleus of any hydrogen atom. Gilbert Newton Lewis isolated the first sample of pure heavy water in 1933

Semiheavy water, HDO, also exists, but only as a notional mixture: water of average composition HDO actually contains 50 percent HDO and 25 percent each of H2O and D2O, in dynamic equilibrium

Learn how to name chemical compounds! VERY VERY USEFUL! :D

Please see the page above! I just google it, and I will study it! At last, a page which will teach me the english naming scheme! ^^

That's something cute!!! http://www.acdlabs.com/products/name_lab/

And, something I made with Mathtype 5.2 :)

http://img134.echo.cx/img134/4341/chemistry2ka.gif

Edited by kafros