XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - COMPLETED MUSIC - Tune For Planetview

flam

I really like this, love the nostalgic feeling I get from it. Only thing I don't really like is the tinny sound of the drums and the slight buzz you mentioned. Damn good job

BTW, the "Bass" line is actually a nylon guitar in the original X-COM =)

:beer:

Edited by Cavoe

I like the idea in the context of XCOM1 very much because it's oldskool. U could just fit it right in the old dos game and a newb wouldn't notice. Nice rythm, nice pads, etc etc. Great job on that one!

BUT!

I don't think that a game released in 2005-2006 with it's "super advanced" (in resamblance with the original dos game) graphics will still fit with 80's music. Try some more modern pads, some better quality drums. U know the picture. Don't get me wrong. The composition is great. I like it very much! :wink:

what was that stuff about "no metal in Xenocide"

...crap...i've been tracking metal since...hmm...1997 i guess :P

pst.. here's my latest:

reach.mp3

i think this would be great for some "win game" outro. ...unfortunately, most of the ppl don't think the way i do. :D

Now where is said that metal music totally no no for this project? IMO atleast one interception song should be metal or hard rock :) .

Anyway i like ur metal song, tho not as much as i liked your Expressions of our existence. In this newest ur guitar melodies are good, but i dont like your drums. IMO they are little powerless.

Btw what tracker are u using?

dum da dum daah duuuum :D

like that music. Would be great for the oh-my-god-have-i-just-killed-the-master-brain music.

• 9 months later...
wow i really liked the last one... would make great music for teh geoscape... it even has a high point and not all toned down ambience :D =b

This really captures the original ufos music mood perfectly :) . Maybe you could put little less reverb to the drums, but in overall this sounds great. Can you encode this to ogg and post it here or send it to my email so i can put it on the ftp server.

like I said before:

I like the idea in the context of XCOM1 very much because it's oldskool. U could just fit it right in the old dos game and a newb wouldn't notice. Nice rythm, nice pads, etc etc. Great job on that one!

BUT!

I don't think that a game released in 2005-2006 with it's "super advanced" (in resamblance with the original dos game) graphics will still fit with 80's music. Try some more modern pads, some better quality drums. U know the picture. Don't get me wrong. The composition is great. I like it very much! wink.gif

this is not a nintendo gameboy game, neither an old early 90s game...

the composition is nice, put it in a new jacket! use reason, fruity loops, absynth, whatever, but stay away from the old sounds. There's an evolution in music with some reason.

love to hear your progress!

cheers,

ATeX

hehe :)

what I mean by old sounds is the synths. Get new synths, higher quality drums etc etc.

The best thing to do is to get Reason, Fruity loops, or any other program you'd like to work with that isn't too old. A very very nice synth program is Absynth. Others might be too advanced like Reaktor etc...

Also, get some tutorials on those programs. :wink1:

What do you think?

Cheers,

ATeX

i've tried out both reason & fruity loops. FL feels like i toy or something and reason is just awkward to use :)

i've been using renoise for some time now. the synths on that song are mostly done with NI Fm7 + some freeware piano-vst. i dont think they're too old, but ...hmm.

well, i agree that the drums are old, but ... hmmm.

i'll go leech some soundtracks and continue my meditation on this matter ;)

FM7 is a nice synth program idd. But if u use the simple square waves etc. It sounds old.

Put effects on the synths. Use more oscillators. Use delays, chorus, reverb, etc etc Spread the sounds over the spectrum, give it some space to breath. Use smart panning. Automate effects. It goes way beyond emagination...

By the way, Reason might seem akward on first sight indeed. Eitherway I stronly recommend that program! It's about the best out there. The Prodigy used only Reason for their newest album! ;) And it's not expensive at all for what u get.

Think about it.

Cheers,

ATeX

• 2 months later...
it's nice, but i don't like the tempo. If you use windows Media Player and set it to 'fast or 'slow' it sounds much better. Although the fast doesn't really sound like a tune for the planetview, it's still cool.

i don't like the tempo. If you use windows Media Player and set it to 'fast or 'slow' it sounds much better.

slower might sound better. maybe.

What about adding an orchestra in order to get that real cinematic feeling? If you'd like me to, I could help

actually i think the beat is somewhat crap and the piano sounds corny. yesterday this sounded much better <_< Gotta change something.

so, yeah, an orchestra, why not. any help would be appreciated :)