New Unit Concepts

Jamaru

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve the floating brain (Altoneuron) can easily replace tentaculat since it basically looks like a meaner tentaculat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The drones are cool, too bad they cant fly...

It was planned to fly, floater counterpart for humans.

It's all about a limitation of the chameleon skin.

However we should back up on the flying units a little.

I know they're fun but let's not overuse them.

We had some bad issues with the floater.

My other concepts will walk, this is not X-com aerial warfare.

Edited by nachtwolf

Whoakay... Cool topic, but all units are the same except armour :/ It would be nice if different species had different advantages and disadvantages, like higher health and strength for mutons, but fewer TUs, lower samina, and reactions... or something? I dunno, maybe just higher skills overall and much higher costs. Since chameleons == mutons, it's ok to alter one of them if people like them like they are now. Anyway, strengths and weaknesses would be nice for different species, and would add some more variety to the game.

Snakemen suck, they need something cool. I'd like a "snakeman egg" item, grenade like, except instead of explosions, they produce fresh empty-handed snakemen. That would kick donkey. Throwing snakeman grenades :008: and equipment. Edit: In case anyone is confuzzled: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Snakemanautopsy.png

I don't know how difficult this would be (I'm talking about the programming), but I think it sounds easier than making 2x2 units. So? Yay or nay?

Edited by Brick-To-Face

unfortunately we dont have full unit support yet so the new units are limited to skins only for chameleon
Snakeman is not a new unit, it's just a lame unit, that would actually be interesting if it had a special function. Now people talk about chryssalids zombifying, mutons eating flesh, etc... These would all require changes to the code. I estimate that my snakeman egg would not require that much work to realize if there's a create_unit(); function or something. So? Eh?

Snakeman is not a new unit, it's just a lame unit, that would actually be interesting if it had a special function. Now people talk about chryssalids zombifying, mutons eating flesh, etc... These would all require changes to the code. I estimate that my snakeman egg would not require that much work to realize if there's a create_unit(); function or something. So? Eh?

Snakeman is awesome not lame. :P Ok these abilities are interesting ideas, but I don't think its necessary for snakeman to reproduce. It would just imbalance the game. Now for terror units, they should only have a melee attack or a ranged attack, but not a reproducing ability. Again, reproducing would only dramatically imbalance the game, which would ruin the fun.

unless the stats of both the new units and every unit spawned after that is halfed. IE the unit spawns a new unit and the old units stats are halfed and missored on the new unit. So the next time the unit spawns a new player he would lose half of his already halved stats.

But still, it would be too much trouble to program

• 3 weeks later...

Heh...well I'm a nobody but it's kind of a neat idea. Perhaps rather than the unit loosing all his stats he coudl be purchased more expensively and the units he creates could be weaker. I mean, if they are coming out of an egg they should be very, vey green. Maybe like half what unaltered stats are now, ie...25s for everything?

Ah well, it's just a fun idea.

Chrissalids and tanks are really cool though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Ahh, sorry I haven't been here in a while, In case everyone forgot, I had the idea of snakeman "grenades", which hatch into snakemen. I did not mean Snakemen reproducing, I just meant a new grenade, that did not explode, but turned into a snakeman. Expensive as a snakeman, and unarmed... But maybe usable to exceed the 15 unit limit, or just to be able to deploy units into an area in a stealthy/weird way. Anyway, it's just an idea.

• 2 months later...
Is it possible to make stealth units- what are invisible from long distances?

Or stealth + High reaction=unfair?

Not at the moment, and also we will look into supporting the whole stats system a bit before that. However, thanks for the idea.

It would be totally possible to make a cloaked unit skin though, with only outlines and "transparent" in some places.

That's up to the unit designers to push the limits at the moment.

Edited by nachtwolf

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here have a stealth unit!ghost.PNG

Predator-esque? :P

Actually, I wonder if a unit that appeared to distort the terrain would be possible. Perhaps not true distortion though...

You'd need a really good animation to make it look good without being too obvious. Plus with the way units are handled it'd still be marked as a visible unit when it stepped into someone's LoS. They'd just need to do the "use the target box to find where it is" tactic you sometimes need to use on X-COM when your troops can see aliens in the shadows, but can't actually see into those shadows*. Use the target box to find the alien. Simple!

(*It sounds bizarre I know, but if you have a corner of a building, and your unit is looking there, they may not uncover the actual terrain in that corner, but they may be able to see the enemy. Kind of like spotting someone from their silhouette.)

Dunno, I can see it working, like the infamous "Jungle Muton" in XCom.

Same tactic still applies. Just hunt for the thing with the firing cursor. :P

• 1 month later...

With the goal of making ufo2000 playable without X-com stuff, the biggest shortage in my opinion is in the units department.

The current beta has only the green soldier and two zombies in the "chameleon" race with muton armor stats.

They look fine and are animated nicely.

If there were a few more races with visually different armors, it'd be worthwhile to upgrade the code to include them too. Then ufo2000 would be very playable without any x-com stuff.

If the green soldier fits the medium armor like the x-com personal armor or perhaps between that and the power armor, in the muton class, and the zombie can be seen as a lightly armored unit, still a heavily armored unit and a flying unit are needed to complete a rudimentary set for ufo2000 gameplay. They could be humans or aliens or whatever.

One attraction is mechanized units that move on wheels, as they would be easier to animate! Or floater-style units that don't have legs at all.

So, in summary to get a copyright-free playable ufo 2000:

-a heavy armor custom unit is needed

-a flying custom unit is needed

-possibly a heavy flying unit too.

Adding new units to the source code can't be that hard, and I bet almost anyone can do that.

We could then have

-light scout unit zombie (like sectoid/bare human/snakeman)

-medium armor human in green armor (like personal armor / muton)

-heavy armor guy (like powersuit)

-flying guy (like floater/ethereal)

-possibly heavy flying guy (like flysuit)

theres a new alien to replace a floater but it is intended to replace a melee type character. It still works with weapons tho

Chameleon units all have the same armour value and abilities sadly. There are no real new units to speak of. There is this floater however: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242025373

That said i have several half finished units in the wings, just need the ability to add them to the game.

I gots:

1X A Zombie

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/Zombie1_inv.png

1X Floater monster

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/Altoneuron_Drone1_inv.png

1X Armed Robot Dude

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/Android2copy.png

1X A Brown monsteroid

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/monsteroid.png

1X grey alien

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/Naphethim.png

My ideas for the stats would differ in that the Zombie would have large amounts of health, no armour and no requirement for stamina

Edited by Sporb

They look nice, the brown monsteroid looks mean. Imo the floater doesn't look that good. What's with the red lips? :D

Someone should do some updates on the custom monster section to either make it scriptable or just add a few new fixed races. I'll have a look, but don't promise anything.

The stats problem, maybe some races could have lower or higher ceilings on some stats? Like Mutons could have higher ceiling on health and sectoids lower.

Have to agree with bamb there. What's with the stupid grin and red lips? Get over your obsession with that thing, it looks daft. :P

On the other hand, the robot's legs seem a little too thin, and the feet look more like hands than feet.

Have to agree with bamb there. What's with the stupid grin and red lips? Get over your obsession with that thing, it looks daft. :P

On the other hand, the robot's legs seem a little too thin, and the feet look more like hands than feet.

That alien is the only other one that is finished. its old but its ready to go. While Bambs comments were usefull to take notes on, yours was just utter spam. If you cant say anything constructive, dont bother typing anything at all mmkay?

diggin' the robot/monsteroid/grey units. Agreed the robots legs look thin, but that could also just be an illusion due to the shading on black background. I think he looks quite threatening.

yeah, chiming in on the floater thing... buttcheeks with red rockstar glam lipgloss grin... I'd piss myself laughing if it came floating on by, at least until it swallowed one of my guys. ^_^

regardless, really nice work Sporb. Would be cool to add small detail things like various colour choices for the alien (tattoos?) or something...

love it, keep it up.

thats a good idea actually! i keep complaining that there isnt enough by way of colour selection in the units. Im thinking several different colour options with markings and stuffs.

The Robot looks thinner than he actually is at the mo. There were two models, one is much smaller and mobile while the one shown is the heavy robot. I used the Scout robit to base the heavy unit off of, its basically the same with some etra armour ... on the chest at least, still working on the legs

And with that comment on the floater thing, ive lost all respect for it. I might try and evil it up some more later on but every time i look at it im going to remember "buttcheeks with red rockstar glam lipgloss grin" and crack up :D

Edited by Sporb

Ive been playing with a more advanced Zombie unit: I shall call him Stalker

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/XcomHeavyArmourcopy.jpg

Behold, for i gave him armour (there are multiple colours)

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/XcomHeavyArmourcopy2.jpg

Suggestions and comments please. Try to make them constructive

Edited by Sporb

Ive been playing with a more advanced Zombie unit: I shall call him Stalker

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/XcomHeavyArmourcopy.jpg

Behold, for i gave him armour (there are multiple colours)

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/XcomHeavyArmourcopy2.jpg

Suggestions and comments please. Try to make them constructive

haha i love him. he looks mindless yet evil at the same time.

suggestions.. hmm.. maybe less blue hues in his flesh? make him a little more red.. not a big deal.

some shinguards/boots in his armored version? or a little skullcap helmet.. heh (or maybe those for an even MORE armored version)

yeah i'd like to see that Grey with blue/green/etc.. tattoo choices.. just be fun for organizing purposes of your own teams, not a deal breaker by any means but definitely icing on the cake :D

any wheeled/tread units? that would use the snakeman movement type. like a robot

http://www.johnny-five.com/simplenet/Short...isc/Johnny5.jpg

Edited by Popek

That alien is the only other one that is finished. its old but its ready to go.

Compared to the others, however, it looks sorely out of place. You have these good, detailed ones, then some dark, faded, hard to see, low-quality looking floating brain with an idiotic/slightly-unnerving grin and bright red lips.

~~

As for 'Stalker'... looks more like a skeleton than an advanced zombie - although I assume it's under the influence of a different cause of zombification that's caused all the skin to rot away, whilst leaving muscle tissue intact or enhanced (which could explain the extra bulk, as the legs look undersized compared to the upper body). Like Popek says, the armoured variant could probably do with thigh/shin plates and some boots.

I'd suggest either a dark red scheme for the armour, or making it similar colours to the X-COM Alien Alloy based armours.

Edited by Exo2000

Compared to the others, however, it looks sorely out of place. You have these good, detailed ones, then some dark, faded, hard to see, low-quality looking floating brain with an idiotic/slightly-unnerving grin and bright red lips.

Still no reason to be so rude

As for 'Stalker'... looks more like a skeleton than an advanced zombie - although I assume it's under the influence of a different cause of zombification that's caused all the skin to rot away, whilst leaving muscle tissue intact or enhanced (which could explain the extra bulk, as the legs look undersized compared to the upper body). Like Popek says, the armoured variant could probably do with thigh/shin plates and some boots.

The idea is that these zombies are the results of Human Plasma blast burn victims. I wrote a blurb for each of my creatures that explains origins and stuff kinda like the alien interrogations. I shall dust it off and post it at some point.

I'd suggest either a dark red scheme for the armour, or making it similar colours to the X-COM Alien Alloy based armours.

Already done, there are currently a myriad of colours avaliable from Orange to pink ;)

yeah i'd like to see that Grey with blue/green/etc.. tattoo choices.. just be fun for organizing purposes of your own teams, not a deal breaker by any means but definitely icing on the cake

Deal! i like cusomisability also and markings are always fun. That particular unit will also sport a heavily armoured version also at some point unlike the sectoid.

maybe less blue hues in his flesh? make him a little more red

Fair cop, ill play with some different gore patterns and colours. As for more armour, there wont be a heavier armoured version but i will give him some more plates as default.

Edit: Updated Stalker

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/Stalker.png

Colours still need ballancing a bit more. Helmet will be removable in final version, there will also be an unarmoured version and an under-armour only version.

As before, comments appreciated

Edited by Sporb

Already done, there are currently a myriad of colours avaliable from Orange to pink ;)

yeah i'd like to see that Grey with blue/green/etc.. tattoo choices.. just be fun for organizing purposes of your own teams, not a deal breaker by any means but definitely icing on the cake

Deal! i like cusomisability also and markings are always fun. That particular unit will also sport a heavily armoured version also at some point unlike the sectoid.

maybe less blue hues in his flesh? make him a little more red

Fair cop, ill play with some different gore patterns and colours. As for more armour, there wont be a heavier armoured version but i will give him some more plates as default.

Edit: Updated Stalker

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/Stalker.png

Colours still need ballancing a bit more. Helmet will be removable in final version, there will also be an unarmoured version and an under-armour only version.

As before, comments appreciated

Magnificient! Menacing & malevolent.

Thanks for the input! better to have the critique now than after ive commited myself to it. Battlescape images are on the go.

As for the blurb, here is the one i wrote for the Wiki awhile back. Edited and changed to suit:

Re-animated Horde

Otherwise known as 'Zombies' this group of related creatures are far more than the steriotypical horror movie monsters of folklore. The source of the Zombie Activity on earth has never successfully been traced to a source, it is however assumed, that the advent of Alien technologies and possible Action on the part of Extraterrestrials are connected either directly or indirectly to their first appearance. The Zombies appear to be the end result of some unknown Catalytic event that occurs in certain parts of the planet (Usually centering around now inactive areas of previous Alien Incursions). Previously deceased soldiers and civilians alike experience unexplained activity in the central nervous system and appear to regain some semblance of life (Used in a very loose sense as the beings remain deceased from a scientific stand-point). The conscious mind of the creatures, seems to remain completely intact, affording them all the memories and intelligence of the people they were before their deaths. Unfortunately the minds of these creatures are warped by the ordeal and they harbor deep resentment and paranoia toward anything not belonging to their own sub-species (This includes both Alien and Human alike). Zombies have shown surprising aptitude in many fields of combat including the use of advanced technologies and strategies. Coupled with their zealous fervor during battle, and unmatched physical attributes make them more than a match for even the most hardened of commanders.

The term Zombie is applied loosely to a collection of various creatures within the Reanimated Horde. Below are some breif descriptions of the more common units encountered from this group.

Necrocantus Hunter

The Hunter is the face of the undead horde, accounting for nearly half of the known zombie agents throughout the world. They are skilled warriors with little regard for personal wellbeing but perform best in group tactics as they represent the percentage of zombies that have not yet begun to re-develop their decaying bodies into their more formidable forms. The Hunters often appears in the clothing they were previously killed in and lack the strength and agility of their enemy counterparts. They make up for this with huge amounts of stamina and a massive pain threshold.

Necrotalis Stalker

Stalkers are the end result of bodily regeneration experienced by all members of the undead horde. Their often gruesome and fragile appearance belies their true strength and cunning. Stalkers are often seen wearing specially crafted Armour and fighting with advanced weaponry, often weaponry that would overburden even the strongest of enemy agents. The Stalkers fight with a savagery that is unmatched, often charging headlong into the fray, demoralising enemy forces with their fearsome appearance and burning hatred for all things that have been spared the suffering that has befallen the undead. The strength and stamina make the stalker ideal for assault purposes, allowing them to carry heavy weapons with ease. Couple this with their inherent resistance to damage (Plus the extra protection afforded by the Armour they commonly wear)and you have an unstoppable force of destruction.

Right, heres a concept for a small Tracker Scout Drone unit. Inspired in part by bomb disposal robots. It has no weapon pods yet. Since the animations will be so easy to do, it could be done and ready to go quickly.

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/GunDroidcopy.png

Edited by Sporb

Right, heres a concept for a small Tracker Scout Drone unit. Inspired in part by bomb disposal robots. It has no weapon pods yet. Since the animations will be so easy to do, it could be done and ready to go quickly.

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/GunDroidcopy.png

does it come in british racing green? :P

i like it a lot

Here we are! final product complete with Weapon pods installed (The weapons will mount inside these pods similar to HWPs in Xcom)

http://usera.imagecave.com/sporb/GunDroidFinal.png

Two questions concearning the HWP-like units: Is it possible to create a 4-box-unit like the original HWP? And if not: Is it suitable to have this unit just have one box?

Anyway it's great. It also would be great, if it could carry different weapons (was it supposed to?), not like the HWPs in X-COM, which had only one fix weapon.

Multi-box HWPs are in the works but not finished yet, nor in the betas, no. As for single-box HWPs; they'd be identical to standard troopers, really. :wink1:

Its only a small unit so its fine in a single box. Were it a full sized tank master id feel different about putting it in a small box. Its a scout drone really, like the robotic scouts used by Bomb disposal teams, small and agile. As for fixed weapons; it wont have fixed weapons but there will be no visible weapon loadouts on this unit as the guns will be mounted by technicians inside the units weapon pods (there are two stacked weapon pods to represent two 'arms')

Here is the finished product. It sounds naff when it moves but the current unit API doesnt allow for different step sounds. There arent any death animations as such either for the moment and the end product will not be able to crouch. Come in a range of fruity colours!

Edited by Sporb