XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART- SATYRIAN Concept

Or use Zipperhead's helmet/facemask. That would look good. But I must say, it looks great!

Uh, it's Zipperhead who posted that concept you're commenting on as well :LOL:

Beep: Wrong! I was commenting on Vaaish's sketch. I guess Zipperhead's well, head kind of slipped in there when I was posting. :)

But yeah, make the mouth vertical instead of horizontal, that would make it look less like a doom ripoff and more like an evil alien.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of perfer Vaaish's concept. Yours seems too...Demonic...Zipperhead. Now if we were making doom IV, then that guy would fit in perfectly, but I think we shouldn't have any aliens that look more like little devils than aliens.

It's a loincloth for his rediculously oversizehhrr... I'll just shut up now :)

Hmm... Barons of hèll are kewl :devillaugh: , but not for use as aliens indeed. What if you just gave them some really high-tech looking armour though? They must retain some of those primitive, predatory features :huh:

edit: damn word filter :cussing:

Edited by j'ordos

Looks like we're getting somewhere here, though where 'here' is...

Seriously though I'm getting a feel for Zipperheads last one. The round ball though is gonna have to be altered to some state.

How about we try tying it in more to a cyberdisc/classic ufo shape. After all they're shaped like that for a reason ;) Maybe not even pulling the globe into a full ufo shape but just squashing it down so its a bit flatter on the bottom would work better.

For the faces I really like the bestial look of the floater, which does tie in visually with the ctd somewhat about its sadistic tendencies. However I think for the battlescape they shoulf be wearing armour and for that my vote goes with Vaaish's concept (shock horror Vaaish using a pencil ;))

Also I get the whole why chop off a perfectly serviceable set of limbs just because we've found a better way to get around but I always felt in the original that the floaters were victims of testing/playing around from whoever was controlling them. Sort of a "These guys are quite vicious, lets see how they cope in the air" and when the floaters do well the designs get refined.

The lack of internal organs for me went again along with the control aspect of 'the overmind'. Without maintainence they die and so become dependent on their tech to surivive and flourish.

I always got that message from all the alien races, not just the floaters. The sectoids were easy. They just weren't strong enough psyonically to withstand their 'masters', same with the snakemen. The mutons I felt had other reasons (maybe they were bred to fight) and I always got a sense of malign intelligence in the floaters which 'the overmind' had to control in other ways, hence the reliance on technology.

Hopefully that's made some sense.

I don't understand what's wrong with the "gravball" idea. I liked the first scetch of zipperhead which had the big gravball.

Another thing, I agree with deimos, I like that beast-look of it too. And it definitely goes along with the CT. I also agree it should have somekind of armour but not as much as Vaaish draw to him.

Just remade floater 1, added grav device... Tomorrow I´ll color it... too tired now.

I'm liking this last version of your floater. My only qulam would be some portions of the armor look almost carapace instead of high tech alien alloy, and the antigrav sphere looks almost fantasy in appearance instead of tech.

I think we somehow should display the hollowness of the floaters torso as the majority of the organs have been removed.

Regarding the horned/demonic aspect of Zipperhead's design. I wouldn't drop an idea just because of the horns in the head look, if we do that then we can't make anything because it will look like something done before, either via game or movie.

I think an interesting connection to "real life" can be made with the horned look, if anyone has read Childhood's End by Arthur C Clark. The aliens, who were quite peaceful, looked like the classic form of the devil that people are used to. I agree we shouldn't have something that's 90% devil in here, but considering other parts of the design as well as coloring that will likely be something other than red, I think the facial horns are a nice distinction.

Edited by Breunor

1. Mouth/Mandibular Region and Lower Face

2. Nose and Midface

3. Eyes/Brow/Forehead and Upper Face

4. Body/Torso

5. Legs/Motive Assembly

6. Arms/Manipulators

Breunor suggested a similar format for posting your opinions on what a concept should look up over in the Reaper thread. Thought we could use it here as well.

1. Needle like teeth running on both sides of a vertically oriented mouth that centers between eyes and runs from the peak of the forehead to the chin. Two protuding horns from either side of the mouth on the chin line.

2. There is no nose or other obvious olfactory senses.

3. Clustered eyes, like a bee, centered in the face vertically and on either side of the mouth at the median line.

4. Short torso, but well musceled and lean. Seams of muscle and flesh extend down around the Motive Assembly.

5. Shallow rounded disk with small lights and odd patterns of color. Wrapped around loosely with seams of flesh and muscle from the torso.

6. Long arms, lithely muscled. terminating in 6 fingered hands with claws.

heres my two dollors (or cents or euros, whatever);

I think the current version of Vaaish looks like final. i think it would work PERFECT for a floater leader/commander. the CTD can figure something out why those leaders look diffrent.

I like the demonicness of zipperheads floaters. It would be much more demonic (not wanted) if it was red. green gives the impresssion of an demonic orc. together with the ball, that would be an exterrial demonic orc. love it, though i still have doubts about the ball (is helping though).

i also like kliffs type. I think this looks like a "mad doctor", and this could be used for the medics ingame?

LOL 3 diffrent models....i don't think this would work :D

Edited by mikker

you have a strange imagination :o

Cpl. Facehugger... tsk tsk!

From your first picture Kliffoth, I agree with Demich about liking the blue one the most, it has a gritty, I made myself in a rat infested shed feel to it, mad scientist in a way I guess. I also really like the latest pic, however the helmet seems too "seperated" from the head IMO. What do others think of integrating some of the feel of the muton head from the first picture, meaning to have the helmet fused/tied into the head more, making it obvious this guy doesn't take his hat off at the dinner table? I think that would being back more of that gritty look, making him seem more sinister. Part of the floater design's feel to me is having it say, "give me 5 minutes in the basement with you and a blender, we'll have so much fun..."- Just a pure sadistic feel to it. And don't worry, I'm taking my medicine, the views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of the station or its affiliates, etc etc. :)

looking good. I'll wait till you make the new changes before posting much.

do look at the threads for alien alloy since it has an irridium sheen to it. Main reason for saying this is so your color scheme doesn't end up matching too much with the color of the armor.

I think kliffoths last pic looks excellent, can't wait to see it in color. I don't know who's modeling it but I would like to see some glowing on those eyes. Pleeeease :unsure: Edited by Nyyperoid

Cpl. - The arms are in a kind of perspective (not well drawn) but they are sure larger...about the hands, they sure look fragile, but he is alien, and maybe his hands are made of reinforced carbonated titanium alloy or something. :huh: Edited by kliffoth

I wouldn't do that.

:idea: what if we give the floater a cybernetic arm, with built-in weapon (like I suggested once for the snakemen, but it might work better with the floater :) )

edit: though I like the scalpel-fingers here too :)

Edited by j'ordos

Well, the same but 'grown' or implanted on the body would be easiest. Granted, it would require more work and raises some issues (can xcom agents use those weapons) but it adds to the 'cybernetic-mutilation-loving sadistic warrior' ;)

Wouldn't it be impractical to have a built in weapon arm? Besides, the floaters aren't robots or cyborgs. They're a preadatory animal surgically modified to float instead of walk.

Wouldn't it be impractical to have a built in weapon arm? Besides, the floaters aren't robots or cyborgs. They're a preadatory animal surgically modified to float instead of walk.

Yep, modified by removing it's legs and most organs and replacing those with a mechanical device to fly and survive. If that isn't a cyborg, well ^_^

edit: like fux says, thus :)

Edited by j'ordos

I'm liking where Kliffoth is taking the the floater. That float generator is sweet. Though lets try and stay away from fused on weapons as the player won't be able to pick it up and use it after the floater is dead. Same goes for all the other alien races with some obvious exceptions.

Try to make the arms more in proportion to if the floater had legs (IE just below hip length) maybe a more correct term would be out of proprtion to the rest of the body of the floater ;)

Kiffoth's floater is nice but I can't see it as the ugly, mean and brutal predator that the original one was. It's more like a nice looking intelligent type now...

I doodled this in school today. You can see the size of the actual doodle by the size of the lines on the ruled paper. Heh. I thought I would post it since I had it.

edit: quite embarrassingly, I kind of got a little bit of inspiration from Stephen Hawking. I didn't quite know what to do with the front of the hover-thing and kind of got tired of wrestling with it. It is supposed to resemble the abdomen of a wasp. It was a little back-heavy and didn't look stable or balanced, so I experimented with several things out front and settled on the two globes there. It was kind of a wrestling match that ended in a stalemate.

floater1.jpg

Edited by fux0r666

I'm partial to a larger grav pod section, more in size to fux's, in part to keep the floater from being real small. Unless the floater's body is as big around as a reaper, by cutting it in half you're left with a pretty small guy. Having the larger pod underneath helps keep the overall size and physical presence similar to the other aliens.

I'm partial to a larger grav pod section, more in size to fux's, in part to keep the floater from being real small. Unless the floater's body is as big around as a reaper, by cutting it in half you're left with a pretty small guy. Having the larger pod underneath helps keep the overall size and physical presence similar to the other aliens.

Breunor: :hammer:

Argh. It's about 2 days ago when people said the grav pod was too big! I wouldn't like to be the artist here trying to manage all the requests. It's not that I wouldn't like the idea breunor, I think it should be bigger too but most of the people wanted smaller.

Fux:

That's unbelievebly creepy looking concept. I love it!!! Might be a good idea to take the grating off from the grav pod, it looks like human car air-intake hole. If you know what I mean? And the posture it's on now looks like its pregnant so maybe it shouldn't lean backwards so much.

Otherwise, VERY cool looking fux. I can imagine that mutilating humans.