XCOMUFO & Xenocide

It Works, But Xp Doesn't...

Guest larc

I got my apocalypse to work on XP, not when running the batch file (that gave some error about the system not working with VDMS or something...), but by right clicking the batch file and clicking "run with VDMS." It gives some error about already being loaded, but it works anyway. Like a charm. Great game.

But! I realize alt-tab is the devil when playing old DOS games, but even when I refrain from multitasking, my whole screen is garbled when I come back from the game. New windows look fine for a while until I move the mouse and they blur when things move over them. They leave trails when I move them, and don't dissapear when I close them. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since I -do- have it working on XP, but is there something I could do to be able to use windows when I'm done playing the game?

I mean, it's usable, but a real pain. So I restart windows when I quit playing. Which works, but, is my computer going to blow up?

You mean: when you exit xcom your windows is all messed up, right?

The easiest solution (well, more or less) that I know is to change your resolution again, but when it asks if it should keep the new settings, just say no and the desktop will revert back to the right resolution but it should be fixed then.

Did you restart after installing VDMS? What exactly do you have in that .bat-file?

Changing the resolution does work, thank you. I guess it all works perfectly on XP!

My batch file has been,

@echo off

dosdrv

mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 XCOMAPOC.exe SKIP

like was mentioned somewhere in the FAQ, but I guess that doesn't really ever mention VDMS. and then, I read the dosdrv line was unnecessary and took it out. and just now I read someone else advocates right clicking. It won't use VDMS otherwise!

another problem, though. every so often, in the middle of gameplay (or rather, just as I enter a building. Almost infallibly, upon entering a building) the game spits out errors in DOS over the enter-building screen and becomes unresponsive. I have to alt+enter to get back to windows and then i get a end task error, and i end the game. I've learned to save more often, but it'd be nice to never randomly lose the game. Anyone heard of this before?

No... I've done all that. I've got sound disabled. And it's not all the time, it's just every once and a while, right after the Don't Get Hurt Screen, where it tells you to stun rather than kill aliens, it'll say

"DOS/46W Professional error (2001): exception 06h (invalid opcode) at 2F7:0000353"

and then other random stuff about bits or something. and i lose everything since the save. luckily events are so random they don't happen twice, or at least not the same way twice.