XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Ufo2000 Tiles

Sporb

I have the first two sets of new tiles ive been making to show off. below is a descrition of each type

1) The RED one. Supposed to look like a new rendition of the alien spcecraft. - is about 15% complete - the black lines are due to misplaced tiles ... i blame society

2) The Brushed steel looking one. Designed to look like a bunker or some sort of lab - is about 5% complete

Comments and suggestions please , the more the better as it all helps improve stuff

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks already promising, some work is still needed however. I especially like the lab.

The UFO interior I'm not sure about, doesn't look exactly how I would have imagined the interior of a spaceship look like, then again, I was never abducted by aliens, so what do I know... It would be kinda cool if it were meant to be a building on some kind of a Mustafar-ish lava planet but I would have preferred a cold, technological look more like the alien ships in the original X-Com (duh!).

The grey bunker/lab tiles look kinda boring, they could do better with some colour. Perhaps add a coloured stripe to the walls or maybe tint the floor slightly or something. Use your imagination.

Also, I don't know if it's just the distortion on this particular image, but the top pixels of the walls look kinda rugged. You might want to work on them to make them look cleaner.

Edited by nappes

Will do , as i said , there not even nearly complete , i aim to have around 20 Walls , 10-15 Floors and as many objects as i can think of, per set , most of which will be unique with various decorations. Im going hard out so that the levels made with these tiles will be replayable. What i have aimed for eah set. Bunker - ammo shelves and various things , 3 different terrain types (Mineshaft type set up , Bunker and base) each of which will have its own special gear (Terminals , crates , corpses etc)

the red thing ... i havent decided yet , i'll justdo whatever seems right for it

PS the ruggednes on the walls is just tempoary.

Edited by Sporb

Hehe, the red tile set looks like something I want to keep. It fits my thoughts on the description of Judgment's fortress map I want to make. In other words, I am taking it :naughty:

Edit: One thing...I have no idea how to implement them as mcd files and such :(

I better start some reading :Deal:

Edited by Kratos

They look good, especially the steel one.

Here's a couple of tips that might be helpful:

-There is a limit of 255 tiles for each terrain.

- Walls require at least 3 tiles: north, west and a corner to link both walls (there is a junction of west and north walls that requires it). The corner can be made redundant (TFTD terrains don't use them in some occasions) though.

- Consider creating inner and outer walls to make the interiors look diferent from the terrain around a building.

- Floors can also be subdivided into types: exterior tiles (grass, ground, cement), interior tiles (carpet, marble, etc.), roofs (metal, tiles, etc.)

- The more contrasting colors between ground, walls, etc. usually the better

To use the tiles it will be necessary to use an existing .pck and .mcd file. I can help later with those.

Edited by Hobbes

Sorbu you said the red one is gonig to be an alien spacecraft...than do u think stairs fits there?  :huh: u better remake it to some kind of alien lift. i hope u understand what i am trying to explain  :)

Moderator, perhaps entire thread should be moved to Maps and Add-ons Forum? Not to nit-pick or anything...

Crap , it was supposed to go in maps and add ons. Pfft , musta had too many Tabs open and got confuzzled. Please be in the moving of it if you will oh mighty moderatorness's

PS , Neithan , the stairs are there because i dont like the xcom lifts , they just look weird to me , almost like the developers were to lazy to make cool looking lifts. Besides what would the aliens do if the lifts were ou of order?

I will add lift pads to all my tile sets tho , Just for you Buddy :beer:

Edited by Sporb

PS , Neithan , the stairs are there because i dont like the xcom lifts , they just look weird to me , almost like the developers were to lazy to make cool looking lifts. Besides what would the aliens do if the lifts were ou of order?

I will add lift pads to all my tile sets tho , Just for you Buddy  :beer:

great :)

oh thats a good idea, to add also stairs in alien spaceships, personally i never though about that.

PS: Aliens made their lifts undestructable :D , they last also blaster shots. Maybe they would use their antigraviton organs (Levits) :D, if something bad happen with lifts... LOL

I have made a new generic Forest type set , completely new (Although similar to the old one) with the added coolness of cave tiles

So far there is

-Grassy hills / grass floor tiles

-Cave walls (Nice n brown)

-Dark mud ground , cave ground , light mud ground

i need help compling it into a test set so i can preveiw and fix any problems. can somone post a link to the map editor also

Appreciatively , sporb

Currently the the support for new terrains is limited, but here's what you need to do (I can make it if you send me the image files).

You'll need first to get PCKView 1.20. I've posted it somewhere on this subforum. Then:

- Convert all individual images to .bmp format, 32 pixels width, 40 pixels height (load one of the game's pck files on PCKView and click on an image to save it as .bmp, to have an idea).

- Use the converted images to replace those on an already existing .pck file. Then you will be able to use that file on MapView

- If the images on PCKView get distorted when you replace them, then either they have the wrong dimensions or there's a problem with the palettes.

I personally found the MCD editor even more useful for that.

Besides all the other things it can do, it automatically converts the images to the right colour format.

I never managed to get that function to work. It basically doesn't copy/paste/save anything.

If you do crates: PLEASE put them on palettes, and put a jack/powerjack/forklift like device near...

:D - working in a store I get to see how things are actually moved around. Lots of games have crates just lying willy-nilly with no way of getting there or being moved :)

</idiocy>

Nice job so far... but I think the red one is more fitting of, say, an evil genius' lair (*coughCopybass'mansionmk2cough*) :wink1:

I quite like the grey metal one too. Don't forget crates, wall racks, etc. etc. :)

Grass tiles would be cool!

I'm having the problem that slopes always look so clean in my terrain because one can't put another content on the tile.

If you send me the graphics quickly I could implement them in my map before the next beta (which will be soon because I just got the randomizer working :) - only some trerrain bugs left).

I never managed to get that function to work. It basically doesn't copy/paste/save anything.

Open the "see graphics" window after loading the PCK and left click on the image to copy it to the clipboard, then paste into paintshop or sth.

Right click pastes from the clipboard to the image.

If you then choose "save PCK", it will convert the graphics auotmatically.

Btw, for .lua editing:

http://www.lua.org/pil/index.html

Forest tileset test terrain.

Still some slope work to be done , grass needs adding and colors need to be varied a little more

PS: god i hope there is no pallete restrictions <_>

@ hobbes , will you compile the terrain so that it can be tested? i will send the tiles to you if your willing

Edited by Sporb

Forest tileset test terrain.

Still some slope work to be done , grass needs adding and colors need to be varied a little more

PS: god i hope there is no pallete restrictions  <_>

@ hobbes , will you compile the terrain so that it can be tested? i will send the tiles to you if your willing

Send them over to here

sent , please let me know when you have received , compiled and tested those tiles plz Hobbes , they dont need any special functions (Explodyness) yet but they will later.

EDIT , Ooooo , i just started on my Tron tileset (Abstract). its made to look as bizzare as possible without becoming unplayable - note that it borrows tiles from other would be sets

Edited by Sporb

I've just finished adding the first terrain set, it consists of the walls and floor tiles. One thing I've noticed is that you haven't made tiles that show destroyed terrain (wrecked walls, blast ground, blown objects, etc.). Those will be necessary for the terrain to look better :)

EDIT: Here's a picture of the first tileset taken with MapView

s_Tiles.gif

Edited by Hobbes

Damaged tiles can wait for now , i just wanted some sort of test map to look at , see if all the hills are ok. The main thing that needs teted is the grassy hills , i think they outclip but i hope they will still work properly , else im gonna have to make heaps more hills , and i dont want to

Sporb, check the pic to see how your hills look. On my opinion the grass sections look a little weird and would also need to make the remaining tiles for the corners/etc with grass for it to work.

Oh, I've discovered you don't need to create so many images for the hills. The MCD files can be configured to switch the image's position up and down to get almost the same tiles you've drawn. I am including an image of your tiles: the ones marked in red are those needed to make hills, the others are unnecessary.

I only need to add the vegetation tiles for all your graphics to be done. And there's still a lot of empty slots for new tiles...sure you don't want to make some more ones?

Sporb2.gif

Sporbs_forest_tileset1.PNG

Edited by Hobbes

It was a test set , like , for testing the images setup. I plan to make more of the grass tiles and heaps of vegetation , it isnt final. Thought i had mentioned that somwhere , musta fergot i guess

It was a test set , like , for testing the images setup. I plan to make more of the grass tiles and heaps of vegetation , it isnt final. Thought i had mentioned that somwhere , musta fergot i guess

No problem :)

I will send you later the second batch of terrain files for you to see on Map View. I've been splitting the tiles between different files to organize them better. There's some 150+ empty slots so feel free to draw as much as you like :)

no more final tiles yet sorry hobbes , i kinda got sidetracked with aliens <_ will create more later on might as well finalise er and pack it up for now. i go a tiling spree this weekend see what can get done it.>

no more final tiles yet sorry hobbes , i kinda got sidetracked with aliens <_ will create more later on might as well finalise er and pack it up for now. i go a tiling spree this weekend see what can get done it.>

I am going to keep testing the physical characteristics of the terrain files meanwhile (destructibility, etc.) since I am converting the old terrain files and there's usually a lot of bugs involved.

It is best to have the terrain files done before making maps with them, otherwise the maps might turn into a waste of time. I can wait until you make more tiles for them.

Meanwhile, this is an image of both terrain files combined:

sporb1.gif

i need plants and stuff , trees and the like - not the xcom ones but from anyone whos got pixel images of trees on hand. PS that looks quite good hobbes , thanks.

D'oh. I just realised that i have forgotten to add texture to certain outer parts of the hills <_ must fix that>

Edit - damn , there is a color palette limit :Cry: i can see that some of the original color depth has been lost in translation :violinsmash: is there any way to prevent this loss?

Edited by Sporb

Edit - damn , there is a color palette limit :Cry: i can see that some of the original color depth has been lost in translation :violinsmash: is there any way to prevent this loss?

I've noticed it also :(

UFO2000 can use different palettes but the problem here is that PCKView uses the original UFO palette. I have to convert the graphics from one palette to the other to make the .pck image files. In most cases there isn't much of a difference while on others it is more marked.

Unfortunately, until there's a better way to add new maps (serge has already mentioned that it will be a future possibility) this is the only way to add new terrains.

in that case i'll keep the original batch of textures in a zip file somwhere so i can whip em out and stuff em in when the problem gets resolved. So long as the port into the program ok then they'll still retain most of thier attributes - which is what really counts

in that case i'll keep the original batch of textures in a zip file somwhere so i can whip em out and stuff em in when the problem gets resolved. So long as the port into the program ok then they'll still retain most of thier attributes - which is what really counts

Yeah, better that way. For now I can keep converting them this way so that you can start building your own terrain.

• 2 months later...
Ive been working on texturing for my mod wich can be applied to my tiles. But we still need to get rid of palette limit. I have a very nice looking grass texture and i can use it in my tileset, if only the colors didnt turn flourescant :( Edited by Sporb

Ive been working on texturing for my mod wich can be applied to my tiles. But we still need to get rid of palette limit. I have a very nice looking grass texture and i can use it in my tileset, if only the colors didnt turn flourescant :(

We don't have a palette limit anymore. Tiles can be defined in lua files now which can refer to png files with no palette restriction. You can check 'extensions/terrain-moonbase' from the latest beta as an example (though it does not use all the tile sprites yet and is only a simple demo). I will try to make something to make tilesets editing easier on thew next weekend (GUI editor). Also documentation is still missing, that also needs to be done for sure.

• 1 month later...

OK , so ive been tinkering with some tiles for ages but ive finally come up with a set that works - The set will be a futuresq version of the current ufo map City. The main theme im trying to accomplish is a mix between old and futuristic. The set will hopefully has a similar look to the movie Bladerunner and will be dirty, ugly and glowing with lots of neon.

Below is a little example of what im trying to acheive.

any comments on how i can make it look bettr wouls be appreciated

Yes. BUT! I think it's too detailed for ufo2k. Just think a powersuit with that tileset...  :P

you'd need some equally detailed powersuit... and of course made in double resolution too.

you could say its too realistic, since xcom was rather comic style. (i dunno if by intention or rather because this was the only way to make it look good, using the given resolution and the number of colors)

but even if you wanna do comic style, i would still go for more detail, simply because i think it looks better, and theres no need to limit oneselves that much...

these tiles are as realistic as you can get, since i based them on photographs i actually took from several old buildings. (i intedend to also look out for some modern buildings later on)

this pic shows you what can be done, and its not even that hard... (even less work then painting tiles completely unguided)

edit:

that's what it would look like scaled down to actual resolution:

post-3210-1134048351_thumb.jpg

Edited by Llyr

Just think a powersuit with that tileset...  :P

post-3210-1134050646_thumb.jpg

edit: made the tiles a bit more colorfull and with more contrast, since they looked rather greyish...

edit2:

and still another version: put some eliptical alpha transparent shadow below the power suit, and scaled the picture up to 2X

post-3210-1134053086_thumb.jpg

does it really look that bad? :(

Edited by Llyr