XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Joint Project: X-port

Blood Angel

Sporb, Abyssion and I are working on a new map, named X-Port. It is a kind of Xcom base using planes and subs; so Xcom and TFTD elements are implemented. I have finished work on the first tile, the Diver's Airlock/Defences. This is where most attacks are centralised, as in TFTD, although this time they've fitted some rockets.

The first picture shows the bottom floor of the tile. It is generally flooded with water, although when divers/SWSs are about to emerge, it is drained. The large door in the east provides access to the canal system, so that emerging divers can patrol the sea immediately outside the port. This is also used by technitians who need to repair external parts of the port when all the FSubs are deployed.

The second picture shows the first floor of the tile. OK, it's directly copied from TFTD.

The third picture shows the second floor of the tile. This floor is used to connect all the tiles. You will note there is a space between the edge of the tile and the door on the south/east sides. This will occur on all tiles. It is so that when an adjacent tile is fitted, an airlock is created, so that if part of the port is flooded, divers can still access it without flooding other parts.

The final pictures shows the defence platform. Two missile turrets are fitted to prevent UFOs from landing there and deploying directly. A spare stock of missiles is kept in the north-west corner, which is carried by an autofork (Shown) to the missile area, where it is loaded by burly gunners.

Edited by Blood Angel

ALL maps in the terrain must use the same tilesets, in the same order.

Basically each tile in a map is assigned a number, and the tiles are numbered in the order they are loaded. eg if you swap a MCD (that is not the last) for one of another size, all following tiles will be wrong.

The maximum total number of tiles is 253. So decide first which tilesets to use.

However, you can always swap a tileset for a similar one (ie a modified copy of it) later.

I did that by first changing some graphics, then replacing unused tiles with custom ones.

EDIT: Considering the above, copy/paste only works if your first tilesets are the same as in the ufo's terrain.

Edited by Violazr

Hmm, I may have a mission for you, sporb. Any good at tileset recompiling?

AVENGER

FRNITURE

LIGHTNIN

U_EXT02

U_WALL02

UEXT2

UEXT3

UINT1

UINT2

doors from UINT3

XBASES01

XBASES02

XBASES05

Could someone compile these into a tileset called XPORT, or as few tilesets as you can. And I have another job for sporb. Because all of this is in the TFTD pallete, The avenger is cyan and all the UFOs are lilac. Could you recolour the first 5 tilesets so that in the TFTD pallette they look more like the XCOM ones?

Edited by Blood Angel

You can't combine all of those tilesets into a single one for 2 reasons:

1) Their sum of MCD entries goes over 400.

2) You need to use the existing MCD files and you can't add new MCD entries to them.

To use all possible entries you will need to redo the following tilesets: Urban (112), Roads (23), Urbits (25), Frniture (26) and U_base (62), giving you the maximum of 253 available tiles.

Of course, other configurations of tiles are possible...check my map design guide here. I've just updated it with an annex that contains a list of the UFO/TFTD tilesets and their number of MCD entries.

And the Avenger and UFO tilesets might appear with different colors on Map View (since it can use only 1 palette for each map) but they will appear with their correct colors on UFO2000..

yes, the game is rather odd with colors, if you use mapview and look at the Hammerhead or Leviathan from TFTD, they are solid Gold, so don't mind the odd colors

sorry BA , im useless at mapping for Xcom (havent had the time to learn how yet <_ you could always extract the graphics for each tile and make a completely new set i guess but itd be alot of stuffing round. im best making tiles.>

It does indeed cause some problems, as I experienced today trying to make a better version of the crashed plane map.

When I just copy the mcd/tab/pck from tftd to another directory, the palette is wrong. When I get the graphics out using the right palette, and re-implement them with the other, it works and looks right in the last stable, but the beta gives me some pck error.

I'll have to try around a bit more to find a way around this without custom making an identical tileset...