XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Players quitting for the scores

Neithan

:Speach:

just today i have played against one man...btw he is quite high in the results table...first 3 rounds were balanced but then he was on move...he uncovered few of his soldiers and tryed to shoot my sectan :doh: , he missed...i was eager to kill the soldiers he moved out :Hyper: on my turn. he finished the turn and i was at move but suddenly he typed this:

"ok, i give up" and exited from the game

:WTF: is this i thought, please not another coward

then i though he needed to go somewhere but when i got back in server chat he was already playing with someone else

btw the time limit for each turn was set on 210 so the turns havent taken mutch time

why do some people play only for the points to go up in the results table...and not for having fun :KooKoo: ...ok i can accept when somebody gathers points to show other players that he is better but not at the cost of resigning from the game!!! People u should reconsider ... Why cant u stand the defeat honestly like soldiers, not like cowards :chickenrun: running from the battlefield =p ???

P.S.: i know not everyone is like this, but a lot of ppl are :Cry:

P.S.: even though my English is bad i hope u understand what i am trying to explain ;)

Unfortunately some people are just sore losers. :P

If you do the "Resign" action it counts as a loss for you anyway, so either way if you won, he lost, and if he quit, he lost.

Unfortunately some people are just sore losers. :P

If you do the "Resign" action it counts as a loss for you anyway, so either way if you won, he lost, and if he quit, he lost.

No, it counts as a nullified win (which means it doesn't count as a win or loss), and its not called "resign", but its called "exit"

To Neithan: The better you get...the more and more people are going to start leaving you. I have had so many cases like this, and I don't play them anymore. Reality says that sore losers are everywhere and you can't stop them for who they are because either they don't understand right away, or they never understand ever.

Yeah, about half the games i have played so far(well, probably under, i play trustworthy people like abyssion, kratos, and hobbes) have been games where the other person quit, which is one of the most annoying things i have ever faced. I cannot stand that. So just don't play them from now on

I have same experiences as u too, they re known as "Im-gonna-leave-if-u-re-winning" -players

I killd on 3rd round 5-6 of one guys mens with 2 rockets and he just left. Didnt even tell me why, so I added him to my personal blacklist.

Kratos:

To Neithan: The better you get...the more and more people are going to start leaving you. I have had so many cases like this, and I don't play them anymore. Reality says that sore losers are everywhere and you can't stop them for who they are because either they don't understand right away, or they never understand ever.

To Kratos: I know...but they are really getting on my nerves :angry:

To Exo2000, Kratos, blehm, Abyssion, v3Bu: :) Its really good to know that there are also well behaved players in Ufo 2000 :Hug: I hope I will meet u in server chat insted of other sore loosers =b

Edited by Neithan

Well, i think "I will rip your eyeballs out and force them down your windpipe, Cheaters!!!! :devilburn:" works better... but thats just my opinion

Yeah, this just happened to me the other day. I played one game and the other player seemed very cool, and we chatted for a while while we played. I beat him in a very close match, and when in the second game it looked like he was going to lose again he suddenly started swearing at me and quit. I definitely would rather lose a tough game to someone who is a good sport then get frustruated by someone who has to be that immature about it, most likely just to get a good ranking. :cussing:

Not that I have had bad experiences more than one or two times, but those, rather than the good games, tend to stick in your head, which is unfortunate. Just my two cents I guess.

Sporb = :hammer: - beat the living crap out of em next time while making smarmy comments and generally being a rite b****** :Rant:

if i ever leave i at least give a reason - its mostly because im taking up the phone line but somtimes im waiting for guys ive et up matchs with. I always give lots of warning before the match though - just to let you know , hope im not on ur black list :sorry:

How about the "Exit" option gets turned into a "Resign" option?  Then people who play for ranking points would have a reason to stay around and try to fight on.

it can be a solution :hmmm: , i agree with you Neuron...but still it's a bit unfair to the ones who really need to exit because of something more important to do :(

btw. the exit option wasn't bad untill ppl start abuse it to get higher rank

the thing that bugs me on it is not that they are high in results table...i dont care @ this, but they discourage me from playing ufo and that is the worst thing they can do :Rant: ... i am so sad :Cry: when it happens to me

it can be a solution  :hmmm: , i agree with you Neuron...but still it's a bit unfair to the ones who really need to exit because of something more important to do  :(

Right... Well at first I started to think that maybe a good idea would be to have a way to offer the other player a draw, so that if someone needed to leave for some reason, and both players agreed, there would be a way to avoid affecting their ranks...

But! Then I realized people could abuse that too, if they are playing a game that isn't going well, or they decide they aren't winning quickly enough (or whatever it is that gives you a good rank) then the people could both decide to draw, and avoid affecting their rankings.

So! I think the best idea for this would be to include a simple checkbox on the pre-game screen (where you set up your squad and deploy them on the map) that says something like "I want this game to be officially tracked, and the results reported to the scoretable" (kinda long, but i'm just trying to get the point across).

Or perhaps just an extra option in the same place you choose the point limit and all that (where it says like 3;15k;0;180;0;0 or whatever)... just add another number on the end - if it's a "1" it means the game will be tracked, and if it's a "0" the game will be played 'off the record'.

That way if you thought there might be a chance you'd have to quit a game early, you could just play it 'off the record', but if you really wanted to play a game to try to increase your rank, you could play it 'officially'.

Exit becomes Resign in the beta. You can also offer a draw. :)

Mostly, I avoid playing because I am teh n00b, and the one thing that pisses me off is snipers. Ie, people who camp soldiers and send scouts out, then snipe. It's bloody irritating when you're being heavyplasma sniped from out of view.

Also, if I know I'm about to lose (one man left and he's wounded) I quit anyway.

Before I put that up a a suggestion:

What do you think about a system where the Opponent can choose whether the aborted match is counted as a loss for the other player or is just nullified?

This way, people who really have to quit can explain that and the other can choose to "forgive" his exiting.

That might even apply when the connection is aborted, so ppl won't rip out their network cables to avoid losses.

One might consider not to give the unforgiving player a win, though - otherwise it might bias their decision, or they could score endlessly by plaing against an ever exiting phantom player.

The only problem left would be ppl exiting just to deny the winning player his win count

- but that would be REALLY lame.

One more thing:

Right now I'm 'playing' a guy called "M386" who seems to just have left.

I'm a new player so I didn't put up a time limit.

He first complained because it took me about four minutes to move my 15 ppl, and now in his turn he just hasn't been doing anything for the last half hour except for waiting for me to resign.

he probably did, although it usually says the message about how something bad happened to remote

I cannot stand that, and he is also probably a newb

Only newbs don't understand that it takes time to move 15 soldiers around

I probalby misjudged the situation and he really did loose connection, bacuse later he was popping in and out of the chat every few seconds.

There was no message whatsoever, though. And the webpage only shows a " - ".

Other games I finished normally are listed with "connection lost" or "crc problems"!

So remember this ppl in case that happens in one of your games, cuz it might still be a connection problem.

Edited by Violazr

i usually don't even learn much from my mistakes, it usually mistakes that come from either misinformation or i just happen to stumble upon bad stuff.... which happens astoundingly often... such as my scouts being wiped out in two turns from the remaining enemies

I never have this problem, seeing as I ALWAYS lose no matter what.

I even lost to a guy who named his team after "My Little Pony" which is just sad, but it was a fun match because I got close to winning.

Before I put that up a a suggestion:

What do you think about a system where the Opponent can choose  whether the aborted match is counted as a loss for the other player or is just nullified?

This way, people who really have to quit can explain that and the other can choose to "forgive" his exiting.

That might even apply when the connection is aborted, so ppl won't rip out their network cables to avoid losses.

One might consider not to give the unforgiving player a win, though - otherwise it might bias their decision, or they could score endlessly by plaing against an ever exiting phantom player.

The only problem left would be ppl exiting just to deny the winning player his win count

- but that would be REALLY lame.

Someone could abuse that by giving the guy a lose no matter what.

Edited by Mustang

A clan leader shouldn't disappear when he's got only one man left

- even when others got knifed by a helpless girl. ;)

Edit (so i wont make another post):

J/K, I know he lost connection. Was a great game btw.

Edited by Violazr