XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Storming Ufo's

Hailfire22

With the advent of Hobbes' new ufo map I'm expecting to see more and more of these maps being used. There are still some bugs in it but the experience is still fun. I'm currently coming up with a set of strats for storming a human occupied ufo. Note I'm taking into account that both sides are overlooking the diagonal wall bug and visibility bug (which is hard not to ^_^ ). Also note that these are for holding games which one side is already inside the ufo. I know that this might be useless to some but I'm making this more for new players. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Large Scout:

snapshot_5_Highlight1.JPG

The large scout is the first really hard ufo to attack, the first two (recon and small scout) are very easy and offer no really defensive strats. It offers many walls for cover and even a small room to mount a defense on the left side of the craft.

The first part of the battle involves storming the "back door" of the ufo (blue). In X-COM the alien AI always put someone in that room (unfortunately for the first trooper to enter). Humans will do the same as well. In the picture above you can see that four troopers alone can lay down a large amount of fire (I've highlighted the prone sectoid). With the (or at least seems) bonus to reaction fire accuarcy, these four troops can kill around 4-6 armored men (POWERED armor).

If your opponent (or you) can make it through this withering barrage of fire you can take out the hostile troops with you remaining men (not sure about power armor troopers, but in test aliens are easy to remove from this area). From here you have two areas to go to. The "Storage room" (dark red) or the "Bridge" (gold). The storage room most likely has a few men in there and you will most certainly suffer casualties from reaction fire if you choose to enter that area. I recommend the bridge. It has more room and obstructions for incoming fire and offers little cover for any enemies.

Once you've cleared this area out you can proceed to the engine room (cyan) to finish him off (your enemy will probably move is storage room men out into either the back door area or the bridge). Though there is the chance of deaths due to reaction fire it is not as great due to the fact that he is down to his last people and his morale is probably (if not already) shattered.

Also note that grenades (or at least high powered ones) are useless in these types of ufos, they usually do not go where you want them to, the walls sometimes crumble, and the blast hurts everyone in its blast radius,which goes through the walls!

More to come...........

Edited by Hailfire22

Due to all the comments I've been recieving I am putting up this new strategy guide <_>

Harvester:

A some-what easier ship to assualt. With many walls and other obstructions throughout the ship your troops are less likely to be standing out in the open.

Harvester_1.jpg

First on the list is entering the ship and there are two doors to get inside, one on the left and another on the right. The one on the left leads to the elevators so that is the preferable opening. The first room (red) will most likely be guarded the same as the large scout, a group of soldiers who will reaction fire on your men. The plus side is that they will be crowded together, allowing you to send in a suicide man to take them out. If you do choose to enter through the right side then you will most likely face a few troops at the door and maybe one further inside but overall resistance in this part of the ship is minimal. The engine room (yellow) will have a few men to start with but expect them to go up the elevator to the second level.

Harvester_2.jpg

When you enter the second level you will meet most likely another "road bump" squad (dark red). If you can try to throw a grenade up into the room as to minimize the loss of your men (you don't want to waste them early on). After you clear them out there are three exits, one to the right, left, and bottom. The right room (yellow) will probably not have anyone inside and you may choose to send one or two troopers down into the engine room just to make sure there aren't any nasty surprises waiting for you. When you take the two other exits you enter the main room (blue). There might be a few more bumper troops in this area using the storage tanks as cover. Also note the opening that looks into the lower level of the ship (red outline). Beware of snipers in this area when you are clearing that lower level out. Once all hostiles are eliminated you can enter the elevator rooms (green). Enter these and prepare to go to the final level.

Harvester_3.jpg

The final level is very simple but hard to clear. When entering the bridge beware of troops out in the open waiting for your men (blue lines). Also watch out for possible ambushes by enemies to the sides (magenta). There may also be one or two men in a storage area (gold) that might pop out once you've engaged an enemies in the bridge. Note that other possible places of resistance are near the elevators (red boxes). They will act as bumpers but a well placed grenade can take care of them.

• 1 month later...