XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Non-default Resolutions

mindstormmaster

I tweaked the engine.conf a bit and set things to my display's max (1600x1200) and things worked pretty well. No major system crashes, just the bar that's usually on the right side was now at the bottom and near the middle. This seemed like it was still being positioned on the right side of a 800x600 frame located in the bottom left of my screen. Otherwise it worked great and i had very decent frame rates. Then again my system meets the minimum requirements my a factor of 4.

My specs:
Dell Inspiron 8200
Intel Pentium 4-M 1.6GHz
512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM
Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go 64 MB
15" 1600x1200 UXGA display
Xenocide Alpha 2.1 build 9

From the FAQ...

[quote][b]If I change the resolution in the engine.conf, the alpha does not work properly, it seems like it is fixed to work in 800x600. [/b]
Yes, that's right, it has been fixed because it's far easier to program the interface with a fixed resolution. This is because we don't have a working interface yet. The pre-alpha User Interface is just a proof of concept; after we have a final interface we will modify it to handle multi-resolution issues.[/quote]

BTW, how many FPS are you getting in 1600x1200?

Greetings
Red Knight

at the default of 800x600 i was getting 57-60fps, at 1600x1200 i was getting 29-30fps. Both very good considering it's an alpha. Great work guys!

Ok, i take back what i said before. I just got 59fps when running at 1600x1200. Mav is my witness that this actually does work. And yes, 1600x1200 on a 15" screen is kinda hard to read... But hey, it's a laptop and i'm a programmer, i like to see a lot at a time. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Excuse me? You've got about the same system as I do, and you're getting the FPS that I get at 800x600 at 1600x1200?! o_O;; Yeesh! And on a 15" monitor, too?

Either way, it's not a bug, I don't think, I think it actually is set to run at 800x600 (the sensible thing to do, since it's only an alpha and nobody wants to do scaling or things like that).