XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Microsoft Xna

dteviot

Guest Azrael
Mad, would you like to organize someone in CTD to update planets.xml, with the latitude and longitude of the cities?

We're a little understaffed atm, but I'll do my best. Do you have a source for the longitude and lattitude?

Maybe this will help.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

///

/// UFOs sent to anal probe Eric Cartman

///

Abduction,

[Offtopic]That looks like an easter egg O_o, I got it once I googled it

Is it that bad? :([/offtopic]

Ontopic: Azrael post seems sufficient :)

Edited by kafros

Mad, would you like to organize someone in CTD to update planets.xml, with the latitude and longitude of the cities?

We're a little understaffed atm, but I'll do my best. Do you have a source for the longitude and lattitude?

Maybe this will help.

That will do nicely. Thanks Azrael.

Mad, forget about my request, I'll take care of it myself.

You cannot because they are different repositories, not just different branches. On the other side, given that with Xna you just can add that into the project and get it compiled and "validated" against the schema on build it makes sense to just put those XML directly in the code project instead of separated.

Greetings

Red Knight

I don't think that's such a good idea.

1. Doing that will result in two copies of the files in the SVN repository, and keeping them synchronised is a pain. We've already got two copies of xnet.xml (one in CTD, the other in the c++ trunk, and they they've gotten out of sync and broken several times.

2. Currently, XNA doesn't validate the XML files at build time.

What I meant is to ditch the one that it is in assets directory, right now you need to know where to get stuff to make the game compile and works out of the box. We can add access to the programming SVN to the guys that needs it... for XML that would suffice, for other assets types, I think a more build, integrate into Content Pipeline should work.

Greetings

Red Knight

You cannot because they are different repositories, not just different branches. On the other side, given that with Xna you just can add that into the project and get it compiled and "validated" against the schema on build it makes sense to just put those XML directly in the code project instead of separated.

Greetings

Red Knight

I don't think that's such a good idea.

1. Doing that will result in two copies of the files in the SVN repository, and keeping them synchronised is a pain. We've already got two copies of xnet.xml (one in CTD, the other in the c++ trunk, and they they've gotten out of sync and broken several times.

2. Currently, XNA doesn't validate the XML files at build time.

What I meant is to ditch the one that it is in assets directory, right now you need to know where to get stuff to make the game compile and works out of the box. We can add access to the programming SVN to the guys that needs it... for XML that would suffice, for other assets types, I think a more build, integrate into Content Pipeline should work.

Greetings

Red Knight

er. the XML files aren't in the assets directory, they're in the C++ trunk. http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/tr...ame/data/schema

Anyway, progress:

• Put X-Corp score on Monthly report
  • Added location of cities to planets.xml
  • Implement cheats, to so undetected UFOs are NOT shown on the Geoscape
  • Salvage materials from downed UFOs
  • UFO destroyed if downed over water
  • Only troop carrying craft can start a battlescape mission.
  • Only craft with armed weapon pods can attack a UFO. But they can attack if it's on the ground or in flight.

Tomorrow, I'll see if I can package up a progress release zip file, with instructions.

Anyway, progress:
  • Put X-Corp score on Monthly report
  • Added location of cities to planets.xml
  • Implement cheats, to so undetected UFOs are NOT shown on the Geoscape
  • Salvage materials from downed UFOs
  • UFO destroyed if downed over water
  • Only troop carrying craft can start a battlescape mission.
  • Only craft with armed weapon pods can attack a UFO. But they can attack if it's on the ground or in flight.

Tomorrow, I'll see if I can package up a progress release zip file, with instructions.

UFO's which are downed over water are considered shot-down points-wise. It's just that the crash site can't be visited because it doesn't exist. ^_^

Not sure I understand the last point in your list. All craft (doesn't matter on weapon status or if it even carries weapons) can get into air-to-air combat with a UFO. Some people actually use this as an advantage: they send a transport in to "draw" weapons fire away from the other craft in the attack. :wink1:

- Zombie

Anyway, progress:

UFO's which are downed over water are considered shot-down points-wise. It's just that the crash site can't be visited because it doesn't exist. ^_^

Edit: I should add, the way I've implemented it, if you shoot it down over water, you get full points for destroying it.

Not sure I understand the last point in your list. All craft (doesn't matter on weapon status or if it even carries weapons) can get into air-to-air combat with a UFO. Some people actually use this as an advantage: they send a transport in to "draw" weapons fire away from the other craft in the attack. :wink1:

- Zombie

OK, In X-COM, if a UFO is crashed or landed, you can't attack it with an interceptor. I've changed that, so now you can, and it's an Aeroscape battle. (That said, I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile changing the interceptor to be a 2 man craft, so it can land and have 2 troops.)

However, I've coded it so that an aircraft that is either unarmed or out of ammo can't engage in a dogfight. (Mostly because running out of ammo finishes the dogfight.) I have no plans to change that until (at least) work on the aeroscape starts in earnest where it's possible to have multiple aircraft involved.

Edited by dteviot

Progress:

• added SaintD's GeoPosition unit tests
  • replaced geoscape texture with new one provided by SaintD
  • Fixed FxCop warnings

Did not include testMapCoordinates(), because:

• Not every location on the geoscape needs to belong to a country.
  • Terrain and Region bitmaps having no undefined areas should be validated by the RLE compressor. Pass in a flag ine GeoBitmap constructor saying "no undefined pixels", then throw if we find one in ColorToPropertyIndex.GetIndex(). Of course, we can't do this until the region bitmap is fixed by art.

• 2 weeks later...
So what do you need to get started?

MS Visual C# 2005

MS XNA Game Studio Express 1.0

Install in this order.

Check out http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xna

Start XNA Game Studio Express

Load Xenocide.sln from /trunk

Build

After building Xenocide, go to Xenocide/Bin/x86/Debug/Content directory and create a sub directory "Schema"

Copy the contents of the Schema directory from the existing C++ Xenocide directory "xenocidegame/data/schema" to the new Schema directory

Run your build from /trunk/Xenocide/bin/x86/Debug

Edit: Thanks to dteviot fixed typo - I always think about PX, no wonder I wanted to have an .xln project file... ;)

Edit2: updated instructions

I opened this, I have Visual Studios 2008 Beta 2... It wants to convert the project, Says basically everything that points to .Net 1.0 will point to 2.0 among other things. Is this normal?

Edit - Guess i need 2005 anyway to install XNA GSE

Also Do I have to calculate these values by myself or is there a program easy way to modify these with out having to divide the resolutions from where I want it?

interceptButton = AddButton("BUTTON_INTERCEPT", 0.7475f, 0.46f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

basesButton = AddButton("BUTTON_BASES", 0.7475f, 0.51f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

researchButton = AddButton("BUTTON_RESEARCH", 0.7475f, 0.56f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

logisticsButton = AddButton("BUTTON_TRANSACTIONS", 0.7475f, 0.61f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

fundingButton = AddButton("BUTTON_FUNDING", 0.7475f, 0.66f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

statisticsButton = AddButton("BUTTON_STATISTICS", 0.7475f, 0.71f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

xnetButton = AddButton("BUTTON_XNET", 0.7475f, 0.76f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

optionsButton = AddButton("BUTTON_OPTIONS", 0.7475f, 0.81f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

Edited by Darkhomb

So what do you need to get started?

MS Visual C# 2005

MS XNA Game Studio Express 1.0

Install in this order.

Check out http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/xna

Start XNA Game Studio Express

Load Xenocide.sln from /trunk

Build

After building Xenocide, go to Xenocide/Bin/x86/Debug/Content directory and create a sub directory "Schema"

Copy the contents of the Schema directory from the existing C++ Xenocide directory "xenocidegame/data/schema" to the new Schema directory

Run your build from /trunk/Xenocide/bin/x86/Debug

Edit: Thanks to dteviot fixed typo - I always think about PX, no wonder I wanted to have an .xln project file... ;)

Edit2: updated instructions

I opened this, I have Visual Studios 2008 Beta 2... It wants to convert the project, Says basically everything that points to .Net 1.0 will point to 2.0 among other things. Is this normal?

Edit - Guess i need 2005 anyway to install XNA GSE

Should be MS Visual C# 2005 Express. XNA Game Studio Express won't work with any of the other Visual Studio tools (without doing some hacking, and I'm NOT going to try talking anyone through that.)

edit: Note, you can install both 2005 Express and 2008. They will both co-exist on the one PC.

Also Do I have to calculate these values by myself or is there a program easy way to modify these with out having to divide the resolutions from where I want it?

interceptButton = AddButton("BUTTON_INTERCEPT", 0.7475f, 0.46f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

basesButton = AddButton("BUTTON_BASES", 0.7475f, 0.51f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

researchButton = AddButton("BUTTON_RESEARCH", 0.7475f, 0.56f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

logisticsButton = AddButton("BUTTON_TRANSACTIONS", 0.7475f, 0.61f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

fundingButton = AddButton("BUTTON_FUNDING", 0.7475f, 0.66f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

statisticsButton = AddButton("BUTTON_STATISTICS", 0.7475f, 0.71f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

xnetButton = AddButton("BUTTON_XNET", 0.7475f, 0.76f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

optionsButton = AddButton("BUTTON_OPTIONS", 0.7475f, 0.81f, 0.2275f, 0.04125f);

Sorry, you need to calculate the values yourself. They're RELATIVE co-ordinates. 0.0 = top or left, 1.0 = bottom or right. This is so that the image can be drawn on the screen the same way regardless of the screen's resolution.

Edited by dteviot
addition:

XNA 2.0 featureset unveiled on GameFest 2 weeks ago will be available pretty soon and will have support for ALL Visual Studio versions (From Express to Team System); but for now we have to live with Express.

Greetings

Red Knight