XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Some Ideas for Geoscape and Dialogs

Hi,

This is my first post, and first things first...

Xenocide is awesome work. After digging through the code I've really been impressed with the way it's all laid out, and the art and sound team have done a great job on a moody front end!

I just wanted to share some of the stuff I've been doing (i may put in for recruitment later), just to see what you think.

First up is the beginnings of a HUD for the geoscape. This is heavily influenced from the original game + gal civ/sins of a solar empire.

Blue grids are bases. The yellow line on the right indicates they have a craft capable and ready for interception. The idea is that the one on the right will be for indicate there is a craft ready for recovery. Top and bottom hash-lines could indicate incoming transfers, facility building, psionics etc...

Green icon is a craft, red dot is the ufo.

hud.jpg

I think it's possibly to codify visually a lot of the info that xcom had you trawling dialogues for (ship fuel being the main one). I have lots of ideas for this

- Size of ufo dot can represent size/speed of craft.

- targeting lines

- base detection ranges

- heat map of alien activity.

- There is plenty of room under the time buttons for a mouse over Name, Hyperwave transmission info.

- 3D ship icon when zoomed

- Cut-out Ship battles?

- Bases Transfer 'progress' routes

Also, I'd like to get it plotting cities, possibly countries?

All of this is quite a safe bet from the 'spirit of the original' point of view, as no functionality is being added, it's just info being brought up to the top.

Here is my other change. Buy screen interface.

buy.jpg

I've added CeGui progress bars at the top to show how full your stores and barracks are. Again, this adds no functionality, it just lets you know how full the base is as you add stuff.

Also, as well as the 'buy more', 'buy less' buttons, added + / - 'buttons' next to the quantity. These are very kookily done cell clicks which are mimicking the behaviour of buttons.

Ideas for this screen

- Group items by Type

- Personnel

- Craft & Craft Weapons

- Other Arms and Equipment

- Purchase column per base

Let me know what you think. And well done to all involved so far!

Very nice ideas and concept pictures!

I totally agree with you, the only aesthetic change I'd like is smaller craft and base squares. And indeed, the space between the time buttons and the Intercept button could be used as an info screen for such data. Time-delayed popus could also work, probably for bases or mission sites. I'm not sure I can comment the trade screen, I think you have a better idea and visualization of the concept.

I'm looking forward to your implementation with great anticipation! :D

Do you have any other ideas or something specific you would like feedback on?

Edited by kafros

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I've posted a patch for this here http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242029288.

I've reduced the size of the base and ship icons.

What i've tried to do is to keep the icons in this size scale, Base is bigger than Aircraft is bigger than UFO , so you can always see them on screen even if they are on top of each other.

I myself am a fan of the traditional radar and selling screen style. I like the simple red and yellow blobs that mark UFO's and Interceptor's rather than the giant arrow or the ship graphic. I cant wait to see the finished version. So I commend you for implementing it. Great job man and Thanks!