XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Agent Stats

khel

Hi all,

I'm quite a bit of a newbie to this game - the last time I played it was years ago, before I recently rediscovered this little gem of a game.

Just a few quick questions: is it technically possible to get all the stats for an agent up to 100? I'm aware that the psi-stats can only be increased to triple their starting value, so does that mean that it's possible to get a hybrid with 100 in all stats if his/her starting psi-stats were 34 or more?

Even if it's possible, wouldn't it be highly improbable, given the extremely low chance for stats to increase as they get close to 100?

In addition, is it possible to train up psi-stats other than using the psi-gym? Do they improve through battle? I've never noticed that, although that may be due to a simple lack of observation skills.

Thanks in advance!

Psi stats dont increase from battles, and most of us in the forum have had an agent maxed out to 100.

The only stat Im currently aware of that CANT be raised to 100 is Accuracy, only goes to about 96 I think.

I dont know where you heard the triple limit on the Psi, but its wrong.

Humans with 10 Psi have been trained to 100 in my game :D

Of all the years of playing this game, I have never been able to increase the stats beyond 3 times their starting value, through combat or through training in the labs. This is particularly noticeable in the humans where I left some in training for almost a game year. Could you please explain how you can break the in-game limiters? I know it's possible in UFO/TFTD to break the cap by just leaving your units in the labs after they've reached their max skill level.

The only time I'm aware where you can break this is when using the mind shield, which adds a permanent stat boost to psi defence as long as it's left on when the unit leaves the mission. The effects compound after every mission, so you can go well past the 100 mark.

As for training psi in battle, I don't think it's possible. At least, from small number of tests I've tried recently. It's probably ike strength, which can only be raised in the combat gym.

- NKF

Of all the years of playing this game, I have never been able to increase the stats beyond 3 times their starting value, through combat or through training in the labs. This is particularly noticeable in the humans where I left some in training for almost a game year. Could you please explain how you can break the in-game limiters? I know it's possible in UFO/TFTD to break the cap by just leaving your units in the labs after they've reached their max skill level.

The only time I'm aware where you can break this is when using the mind shield, which adds a permanent stat boost to psi defence as long as it's left on when the unit leaves the mission. The effects compound after every mission, so you can go well past the 100 mark.

As for training psi in battle, I don't think it's possible. At least, from small number of tests I've tried recently. It's probably ike strength, which can only be raised in the combat gym.

- NKF

As a guy who plays long games and doesn't edit troops, I can tell you these experiences from several attestations:

1. non-PSI stats can and do go up to 100, except for accuracy, it seems. I've had many, many an agent start with, say, reactions, at like 20 and go up to 100. I play long games and I don't edit, and I've had hundreds of agents in games do this. Keep them in training and uninjured, and the stats all go up regularly, except for bravery.

2. Bravery goes up in battle. Agents are guaranteed to get a 10-point increase in bravery after a mission if they get 10 kills (even 8 seems to work) in that mission. Commando missions (solo missions) ramp up bravery FAST.

3. PSI stats are indeed limited. I've had the odd hybrid with high-starting PSI stats reach 100 in more than one category. I have never seen low-starting PSI-stat humans go very high. Although I haven't done the exact calculations, it would appear that PSI stats are limited to triple their starting values or 100, whichever is LOWER.

- To get humans trained up to near-100s across the board including PSI would require an insanely long game, and that's coming from me. I'm at 170,000 points in my latest game, and my humans have crap PSI stats, but awesome combat stats.

- I've seen hybrids do practically 100 across the board, many times. My record is my latest ultra-commando, who has 146% improvement and 235 kills. No editing. It can and does happen.

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm currently playing a medium game, and have destroyed the first building in the alien dimension. At this point however, with 12 annihilators, I'm pretty much just mopping up alien ships at the beginning of each week and then focusing on training up my troops. Reaction does seem to take the longest to train up, though - it appears to improve very rarely in battle. Or it might just be that health and accuracy increase before reaction does - I normally stop throwing my hybrids into combat once they hit 100 health and 96 accuracy, and let them slowly train up their other stats back at the base.

The current goal is to get a team of 12 hybrids with all stats as close to 100 as possible!

On a sidenote - it appears from the conversation that you guys use Toxiguns against cultists and gang members on raids. Are they even effective? From what I've seen, they do kill humans, but it takes quite a few shots. Is this par for the course?

(If my mod powers allow it, I'll see if I can delete the post for you)

Well, Toxiguns aren't the most ideal weapons to tackle human guards. I think the damage modifier (if there is one for Apocalypse) for the toxin on human guards is incredibly low, so you won't be doing much damage at all.

Mind you, Toxin-C isn't bad, but you'll still be wasting it. You'll mainly want to switch to your hard hitting weapons like the devestators or autocannons to fight them. If it's the shields you want off the guards, stun gas is the way to go. Alternately, psi stun or control is a good renewable resource for gathering shields off human guards as well.

- NKF