Art- Issue #26 -standardissue Battledress Uniform

Shinzon

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you want pics of the old leather and jungle boot (black) i can get you some, have to dust them off a bit though  <_ or the old camies let me know>

Thanks but I think we have everything covered with the stuff Darkhomb posted

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

-Changed the shoes to reflect the pictures posted by Darkhomb (thanks =b )

-Edited the unrawp in the shoes as well as in some other areas to make seams less visible

Sorry for the inactivity, now though I will work overtime to finish this...

The unrawp on the shoes was a nightmare and i tried to reduce streching but alot is still there...

F_Shirt_034.jpg

looks pretty good, the places I'm noticing the stretching most is right on the top edges of the soles. Also, even though it isn;t necessarily accurate color wise, can you fo ahead and make the boots black and grey? (hard to explain, but just desaturating the boots should be almost there.)

it doesn't have to be perfect, remember this part will be really small in game, and even in X net I don't think people will focus on the soles that much

Edited by Vaaish

maybe you'd have to change the geometry a little to fit the new textures. It looks a little wrong. Else I like the new boots.

maybe you'd have to change the geometry a little to fit the new textures. It looks a little wrong. Else I like the new boots.

never change geometry to fit textures, you could end up messing up the model for animation. always work with the UV map to fix stretching issues, alot of times you just need to massage the UVs around in the problem area or add a seam.

I'm not quite sure how the geometry of the feet go, but if it's an alignment issue, you could always break the uvw's for the soles of the feet away from the boots, and then extend that bitmap and texture map to include those (and make sure that the 'boot texture' terminates past the end of the boot uvw map). I like those boots, though.

I think I may also be detectng a shading groups issue in the outside of the sole of the right boot- or is that meant to simulate the heel?

Edited by fux0r666

I used a cylindrical unrawp on the shoes, and the uppuer sole being on the top part of the cylinder gets a very poor unrawp, I already massaged the texture, trying to fix the issues... Changing the unrawp from cylindrical to something else at this point would be... frustrating...

Update

-Tweaked the boot to be black, as well as small corrections

-Textured the torso, primary texture is set all that is left is to add some colour and details

-started texturing the helment

-started added details

Think i can finish this pretty soon...

F_Shirt_035.jpg

F_Shirt_036.jpg

F_Shirt_037.jpg

I used a cylindrical unrawp on the shoes, and the uppuer sole being on the top part of the cylinder gets a very poor unrawp, I already massaged the texture, trying to fix the issues... Changing the unrawp from cylindrical to something else at this point would be... frustrating...

What you could do is make seperate unwrap cylinders for the shin and the foot. After that, you scale the unwrap and align the corresponding vertices, it should work out okay, if tweaking is driving you mad.

Looking very good there Shinzon. My only suggestions as you detail it are to pull the x-corps text from the back so they aren't confused with a police agency, and to make the laces on the boots black instead of whiteish grey :)

• 2 weeks later...

New update...

Some color corrections all over the place as well as some small touch ups... dont know what to do next...

So i did a Brazil render...

F_Shirt_038.jpg

Guest Azrael

That looks really amazing :master: I don't know what else could you improve about it :), are you going to make different face models? like asian male, asian female, black male/female, white male/female, etc?

Excellent work! =b

looks very good... the only thing I'd see about adding would be the fly on the front of the pants... and possibly a cargo pocket. Make those changes and lets call this done and ship it.

A cargo poket? do you mean just on the texture like an empty one?

By the way this model still needs a good face texture... can somene donate a face? :Brickwall: Im very bad at faces and such..

A Bump map and a specualr map are also needed...

Well heres an update...

Added a seam on the pants and Textured the helment slightly.

F_Shirt_039.jpg

yeah just texture in a closed one and mirror it on the other side. those things aren't too baggy when they are empty.... take a peak at the Marine BDU's and the new army ones (if you add velcro patches.... just don't :))

For what we need ATM, the face is fine, we can come back and touch it up later. Lets go ahead and do the bump and lets wrap the model up.

looks very good... the only thing I'd see about adding would be the fly on the front of the pants... and possibly a cargo pocket. Make those changes and lets call this done and ship it.

I don't know about just a fly, most jumpsuits like that zip all the way to the color from the bottom. and they have side leg pockets more then cargo. (Don't know how to describe it, kinda like the zipper is up and down. I attached a pic to show you.

chillin.jpg

I just looked at my react suit and it actually has pockets facing both ways (I don't really use them that much) but I don't have my camera so I can't get a better picture. but I enlarged and circled where they are on mine.

And I added another pic for another look at them, plus i kinda like that pic LOL I get to play with fun toys

bottom.JPG

one2.jpg

Update:

-Seam correction in multiple spots

-Tweaked face and added eyebrows

-Added a cargo pocket

-Added a zipper

Well thats all of it... I think the Diffuse map is now finished and all thats left to do are the bump map and the specular...

A thanks to everyone who comented and helped out

:Deal:

F_Shirt_040.jpg

Update:

-Seam correction in multiple spots

-Tweaked face and added eyebrows

-Added a cargo pocket

-Added a zipper

Well thats all of it... I think the Diffuse map is now finished and all thats left to do are the bump map and the specular...

A thanks to everyone who comented and helped out 

:Deal:

Looks awsome. great work Shinzon. When do you think you will have the bump done?

• 3 weeks later...

I have some pretty bad news...

During the move to my new computer, my brother "accidentaly" Deleted the 3ds scene where I had the full unrawp done... SO here is the problem

The model and texture are FINE so thats a big relief... It is the actual unrawp that got hurt... So i will have to unrawp the model againg using the mesh from the texture (will make it a bit easier to match the original) I dont know how long this will delay this...

I appoligise for this unnesasary delay...

Shinzon for future reference we are going to use SVN to make periodic backups after something considerable changes. Please send all you have for a backup to Vaaish until we give SVN accounts and training to all artists.

Greetings

Red Knight

• 2 months later...

Well Im sure all of you missed her...

Here she is againg... re rawped... the shoes still need a bit of tweaking but im backing this thing up on 2 hard drives as well as sendind it to vaaish...

Sorry for the long delay

F_Shirt_041.jpg

Congrats! I'm putting it up on the SVN for safe keeping :)

when you get a chance, there is some minor stretching on the boots but that shold be pretty easy to fix.

Well its done... after a while

I sent a zip containing everything to Vaaish...

Final.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a long overdue time here is the bump mapped and specular mapped version of the armor...

Im sending the files to Vaaish...

And naturaly here is a render with a light in front to show the maps off

F_Shirt_042.jpg

Very nice. Great work on that, it looks X-net detail leveled!

I think the vest is a little bit too normal-3d-texture gray, but It may just be me. It helped with the gloss and bump map, so no problem.

• 2 months later...

Alright..

So I finished refurbishing Shinzon's model. In order to keep it within the poly limit, I had to re-do a lot. it's now 2600 polies all included which is still a bit high. The head is about 400 and the helmet is about 300 or something, iirc. In order to do the appropriate editting I had to mess up the uvws quite a lot... so I would consider this practically back at the cusp of the texturing stage.

On the bright side, I think it retains a lot of its character with a lot of anatomical and mesh-flow enhancements. Some detail was lost, understandably, but I think that much of it could be recovered with texture detail and simple textured box props.

We're in a weird area with the license now, because the head and hands are my work entirely and the rest is Shinzon and I. Given that we'll be mixing and matching heads, I think that maybe we should start a 'head bank.'

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be texturing this. For whoever does, I highly recommend the video tuts on http://www.poopinmymouth.com on how to very quickly and easily generate the UVW's. It's life changing, I assure you.femtshirtarmour.jpgfemface.jpg

Edited by Vaaish

Is LOD when you take a high poly mesh "unrawp" it and then use it as a special bump map on a low poly version of the object?
Yes :Whisper:

Greetings

Red Knight

Heh.. thi was froma year ago.. but from what I know, what you are describing is a normal map. A normal map takes surface information from a very high detail model and puts it on a lower detail model. It is like a bump map, only it has 3 colour channels intead of 1. On a bump map, you have b/w where white is a great distance from the geometrical surface, and black is no distance from the geometrical surface. A normal map has x,y,z values, and is capable of more a generally more convincing effect.

On the other hand, an LOD is a lower detail model that is displayed instead of the higher detail (low poly) model. The engine will display the lower detail model to save on frame rates, since it will not be rendering detail that the user won't be able to see anyways. There are several LOD methods, the newest being progressive, where the engine interpolates between LOD models, gradually morphing detail away with distance. Lower detail models can be generated on the fly by the computer, but work best if they are pre-prepared by the artist.

I've masculized the female model, complete with head. It's about 100 polies more than the female version, because I am too lazy to optimize the head model. It's a more complex shape anyways.

edit: since I took these pics, I reduced the size of the male slightly, so he's a little less of a freak now.

tshirts.jpg

malehead.jpg

Edited by fux0r666

I line the face but I think he is a little too tall in comparison. If anything just for gameplay reasons. Lets scale him down a bit so that the top of her helmet is right about the middle of his face.

• 4 months later...

Well looks like fuxor compleatly slaughtered the poly count on this B)

But... the unrawp is quite messed up... It is going to take me around a good 3 days of work to re-work the textures and the unrawp...

He merged together things that are mirrored, compleatly re-done the hands, and added a new head

Even though I wish he kept some of the details I am scared to think how much hair he lost over this :P

Any way here is a screen shot of the unrawp... I will continue on this unless told otherwise, or it proves to be too messed up...

(I already did some tweaking, oh and Vaaish dont worry about anything I got 3ds max 7 now)

Unrawp.jpg

YEah, I'm sorry that I lost so much but I was trying to get it down to battlescape spec. From here on in I think you can add some detail like pockets or what-not but try to keep them quite simple. This is, of course, unless Vaaish objects.

The geometry is clean so I think you should be able to unwrap it alright. The crappy thing is that there is an existing texture map (well, not crappy... but I'd imagine that making a new model for an old texture is about 100 times harder than making a new texture for an old model). I also tried to make it as easy to deform as possible. I have limited experience in this, but at least from an academic perspective it seems sound.

I lost enough hair so that I couldn't really think of UVWing it. However, I think that the result is something that we can both be proud of, inspite of the meticulous labour that got us here.

ARgh... The maps just refuse to co-operate... I am loosing my mind... Im putting this one on ice for now... and moving back to the base facilities...

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have the optimized version? I don't seem to have it on my hard drive; I have the old un-optimized one though. I want to quickly finish this and package it off...

2 years is enough time to leave something in limbo *facepalm*

Edited by Shinzon