XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com Broadcasts

Hey all,

For a while now, I've been broadcasting my X-com games sporadically, using a host called JustinTV. There's been some mixed interest, and I'm looking to crank things up a little.

I enjoy keeping things personal, as a result I give my soldiers individual names.

A while ago, I got the idea to name my soldiers after my viewers. But now, I'm looking to go one step further. I want them to be able to create their own soldier.

To that end, I have developed a small application that lets them do so.

So, what's this post all about?

Firstly, I'd like to invite you all to check out my broadcast. It should be up at http://www.justin.tv/thyferra whenever I'm playing. JustinTV has an option that sends you a mail you once a broadcast starts.

Secondly, you're also invited to use my application and make a soldier of your own. I intend to use the database whenever I need fresh recruits, so if you love to see yourself in action, here's your chance.

You can find my application at http://www.jennana.com/games/xcom.php

Any feedback regarding the app's balance is also appreciated. I made it so you have 300 points to spend, with one twist. Attributes become more expensive as you spend more points on them.

This prevents people from making a guy with 200 firing accuracy. :P

Hope to see you on the battlefield!

Jen

Edited by Jenny

Hey all,

For a while now, I've been broadcasting my X-com games sporadically, using a host called JustinTV. There's been some mixed interest, and I'm looking to crank things up a little.

I enjoy keeping things personal, as a result I give my soldiers individual names.

A while ago, I got the idea to name my soldiers after my viewers. But now, I'm looking to go one step further. I want them to be able to create their own soldier.

To that end, I have developed a small application that lets them do so.

So, what's this post all about?

Firstly, I'd like to invite you all to check out my broadcast. It should be up at http://www.justin.tv/thyferra whenever I'm playing. JustinTV has an option that sends you a mail you once a broadcast starts.

I have a suspicion you'll be playing most times when I'm asleep or at work. But yeah, I'd love to watch a "live" broadcast. =b Luckily I can still watch them later. Ah, reruns. LOL

Secondly, you're also invited to use my application and make a soldier of your own. I intend to use the database whenever I need fresh recruits, so if you love to see yourself in action, here's your chance.

You can find my application at http://www.jennana.com/xcom.php

Any feedback regarding the app's balance is also appreciated. I made it so you have 300 points to spend, with one twist. Attributes become more expensive as you spend more points on them.

This prevents people from making a guy with 200 firing accuracy. :P

Hope to see you on the battlefield!

Jen

File not found. :P Do I need to register? :hmmm:

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Seems an interesting idea, I did something similar for a friend who wanted to see xcom a while back using xfire. (I changed the file so it saw dosbox)

Do you get sound with these broadcasts.

Zombie: It appears that that is accidentally a bad link, as its different to the one accessible from the news page of Jenny's site. I think the actual link is http://www.jennana.com/games/xcom.php

I've set up my soldier, hope he doesn't die too soon.

Just a thought, are you going to start the stats off from 0 and then let the user build from the ground up with the 300 points, or is there going to be a base starting value before the 300 points are spent?

It just occurred to me that stats like throwing accuracy could be bled to fuel other stats like accuracy or reactions. If there's any one stat in this game that you could get away with having little to none and still do reasonably well, it would probably have to be throwing accuracy.

- NKF

Just a thought, are you going to start the stats off from 0 and then let the user build from the ground up with the 300 points, or is there going to be a base starting value before the 300 points are spent?

It just occurred to me that stats like throwing accuracy could be bled to fuel other stats like accuracy or reactions. If there's any one stat in this game that you could get away with having little to none and still do reasonably well, it would probably have to be throwing accuracy.

- NKF

Right now, I've set all the stats to a minimum starting value (which is lower than the x-com recruit minimum values). Check the app to see what I mean. I could make them start off from zero, but I figured people would purposefully gimp certain stats.