12 replies to this topic

#1 iaen

iaen

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:46 AM

When I use a Manta to recover a sub, the soldiers are placed way out to the starboard side of the craft (to the upper left of the battlefield), about two whole sections away. Sometimes even outside the field. Any way to fix this?

I think its the CE version of tftd, running under XP, using xcomutil (obviously). Craft was only carrying two aquanauts.

#2 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:08 AM

LOL! Can you show a screenshot? :)
Does it do that without xcomutil? If not, contact St.Jones from these forums, he'll help you.
There's no need for a sig..

#3 iaen

iaen

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:30 AM

All the colours are messed up in my screenshots, and too many colours became black. The Manta isn't even visible.
Without xcomutil the bug can't happen -- the Manta can't normally load any aquanauts.

Regardless, while writing this, I managed to fix the problem by moving everybody 10 spaces to their left in xcomutil.cfg.
I should have thought of that before. It was surprisingly easy.

#4 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:18 AM

if you have the CE, press F12 to take a screenshot which colours are not messed up :) .
I've had occasions where the placement of my troops was incorrect too, but they had mostly to do with me editing and screwing the game :D .
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#5 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:57 AM

sorry, let me rephrase this. Scott already said that xp has problems with xcomutil. I am talking about xcom ufo defense CE on xp with xcomutil

the second one works fine though

Edited by blehm, 18 June 2004 - 12:58 PM.

Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#6 stjones

stjones

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:04 PM

When I use a Manta to recover a sub, the soldiers are placed way out to the starboard side of the craft (to the upper left of the battlefield), about two whole sections away. Sometimes even outside the field. Any way to fix this?

I think its the CE version of tftd, running under XP, using xcomutil (obviously). Craft was only carrying two aquanauts.

If you ever used XcomUtil with TFTD, it modified the game to allow the use of the Manta to carry troops. If you then run TFTD without using XcomUtil but still use the Manta, you will get what you described.

The Manta was not allowed to carry troops in the original game. Therefore, if RunXcom is not used to invoke XcomUtRt before combat, the game does not know where to put the troops when you try to use it.
Scott T Jones
Author of XcomUtil

#7 iaen

iaen

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:28 PM

If you ever used XcomUtil with TFTD, it modified the game to allow the use of the Manta to carry troops.  If you then run TFTD without using XcomUtil but still use the Manta, you will get what you described.

Ehm, no, not quite.

If you run TFTD without xcomutil, the aquanauts do not show up in the Equip Submarine screen, though the Aquanauts screen still shows the aquanauts assigned to their subs.
Interceptions with the Manta simply don't give the option to go into tactical when run without xcomutil, but return to base instead.

...or at least, that's what happens here when I try it.

#8 stjones

stjones

Programming Department

• 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:53 PM

If you ever used XcomUtil with TFTD, it modified the game to allow the use of the Manta to carry troops.  If you then run TFTD without using XcomUtil but still use the Manta, you will get what you described.

Ehm, no, not quite.

If you run TFTD without xcomutil, the aquanauts do not show up in the Equip Submarine screen, though the Aquanauts screen still shows the aquanauts assigned to their subs.
Interceptions with the Manta simply don't give the option to go into tactical when run without xcomutil, but return to base instead.

...or at least, that's what happens here when I try it.

That is true only if you are using the Windows versions. I was mistakenly describing the DOS versions, where the same executable is used whether or not XcomUtil is used. I'll have to see if I can reproduce the bug on my system. If you could send me a saved game from just BEFORE you land at the ship, it would greatly speed things up. Otherwise, I would have to play a game up to that point to test it, although you can play games awfully fast using AutoCombat.

By the way, I just released XcomUtil 9.5, but I am already working on the next version if it does need to be fixed.
Scott T Jones
Author of XcomUtil

#9 iaen

iaen

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:49 AM

I undid my changes in xcomutil.cfg, and installed xcomutil 9.5.
When I use this savegame, the aquanauts are placed ten squares too far to their right again.

Attached Files

#10 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:20 AM

Jordos, how do you run ce with xcomutil?  Mine just crashes when i go into combat

I just had to install it and it worked (since version 9.4, I think I had problems with 9.3, but it was somethign entirely different anyway). Try getting a different copy of the CE, or try the new version 9.5 :)
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#11 stjones

stjones

Programming Department

• 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:17 PM

I undid my changes in xcomutil.cfg, and installed xcomutil 9.5.
When I use this savegame, the aquanauts are placed ten squares too far to their right again.

I downloaded your saved game and I can reproduce the problem. Hopefully, I will be able to fix it over the weekend.
Scott T Jones
Author of XcomUtil

#12 stjones

stjones

Programming Department

• 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 03:45 PM

Regardless, while writing this, I managed to fix the problem by moving everybody 10 spaces to their left in xcomutil.cfg.

I am now totally confused. There is already code in XcomUtil to specifically compensate for a shift in the location of the Manta, but it still comes out wrong. Perhaps it is a difference between the DOS and Windows versions of TFTD. If so, that is a first. I'll keep you informed. Until then, using your modified XcomUtil.cfg is a good idea.
Scott T Jones
Author of XcomUtil

#13 stjones

stjones

Programming Department

• 63 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:30 AM

I am now totally confused. There is already code in XcomUtil to specifically compensate for a shift in the location of the Manta, but it still comes out wrong. Perhaps it is a difference between the DOS and Windows versions of TFTD. If so, that is a first. I'll keep you informed. Until then, using your modified XcomUtil.cfg is a good idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fixed this bug in the Beta I released last night. You can downloaded it from my XcomUtil Homepage (xcomutil.scotttjones.com).
Scott T Jones
Author of XcomUtil