Photo

How Can I Use Dosbox To Launch The Editor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OrLoK

OrLoK

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

Yesterday I installed xcom: ufo deffense, and I want to use the Clark Wehyr Editor. I have installed Dosbox... but I don't know how to use it :( ! So I need your help, because

I dont know which commands I have to use in Dosbox in order to execute xcomedit.exe without problems.
My xcom:ufo defense is installed in c:/games/xcom and the editor (with the .exe) in c:/games/xcom/editor.

Thanks!

Edited by OrLoK, 26 July 2006 - 08:42 AM.

#2 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

First of all, I hope you edited the config file to point to your game directory. Yes? :wink1:

Getting DosBox to run a program is rather easy. You'll get a prompt when you start, but it points to a drive named "Z". We gotta switch that to C. Just type "mount c: c:\" and the c prompt comes up allowing you to navigate to the editor folder with the DOS "cd" command ("cd c:\games\xcom\editor" should do the trick). (I think you could also use "mount c: c:\games\xcom\editor" and save a few steps). Anyhow, once your prompt says c:\games\xcom\editor, simply type "xcomedit" and the program should run in DosBox. :)

- Zombie
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#3 Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

I'd advise against mounting the editor's path as C:\, because then you'll have problems finding the folder, as CWXCED is set up on a real machine, where the XCom folder would be C:\dos\XCom or whatever. So if you mount the editor's path as C, it'll look for the game files in C:\dos\editor\xcomedit\dos\XCom, or something.

#4 Mustang

Mustang

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

Bumping this thread because I'm trying to get CWE to work on DOSBox
I've tried what Zombie said but it seems to be unable to switch to CWE\CWXCED, while it can change to CWE\
Moving the files to CWE will let me launch the editor but it can't find my X-COM directory, even though I changed the path in the config file

Edit: I fixed it, I forgot to add the C:\ before the path

Edited by Mustang, 02 March 2009 - 11:38 AM.