XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Yay I Did It.

Yoni

Well I've reloaded twice when I just couldn't get out of my triton on a cruise ship mission. Next up, no save superhuman? In the end, once you get mc technology the difficulty setting doesn't really matter. I waited untill august to attack the first alien colony because by then my mc guys were getting really good at mindcontrolling the aliens. And I needed a second commander to be able to go to tleth.

I really feared the colony mission at first, but with mc, it was a cakewalk. I finished the whole colony without losing a single guy. I didn't get a scratch. I killed all the aliens. If I hadn't had mc, they might have bested me.

There was one welcome bug in my game. It allowed me to finish tleth without having to go all the way round in the last level. Whenever I mc'd a hallucinoid or a xarquid (one fourth of it) and pressing the next character button, I ended up controlling another of its kind somewhere in the dark possibly on the other side of the map. In tleth, I got control of a hallucinoid inside the main chamber after mcing a hallucinoid right at the doorstep. That hallucinoid spotted a xarquid in the room, who shot the remaining five foetuses for me. (The other three were destroyed by a bit of explosion of disrupter pulse fire that seemed to be able to seep through the wall a bit.)

Anyone else had this bug?

Oh yeah and I asked a while ago if tentaculats could be mc'd because I was nearing max mc and couldn't even get it to panic. You were right indeed that they can be mc'd. My guess is they may be just hard to mc but are immune to panic?

Another cool thing about mc'ing those four tile creatures, is that when it runs out of time units, you can control another fourth of the alien, and it will have full tu's again. But maybe you already know that. :D

I don't know what to do next. I'm thinking superhuman won't be all that different.

If you control the wrong part, you will use up all the TUs, i think the top corner is the number 1 part, which gives you full control the creature, and no self reaction firing

I've not always controlled the same part first. Mostly the bottom one though. I've never had any reaction firing on itself. I do remember that happening in older games though. Maybe Xcomutil removes that bug?

I don't know what to do next. I'm thinking superhuman won't be all that different.

What to do next?

Heh I've seen more recommendations and "game types" recommended by players here I'm sure I'll never do even half of em.BUT there was some cool recommendations ..just search around find what appeals to you and define your own parameters regarding handicapping yourself.

No MC

Only Gernades

No Alien Tech

Etc,Etc,Etc

Tons of ways to replay the game and still have it be fun and challenging :)

Yeah, I noticed that bug, too. I finished the game both using or skipping the bug, without using it, I either used soldiers or Sonic displacers to get to the Squidy monster.

With displacers one has to make an extra hole in the doors, to allow the displacers go through, but that's not that hard.

Without displacers, boy, that takes forever, since the soldiers ran out of stamina in that labirinth, but a few medkits can be very useful there.

What to do now? I guess an all conventional game, no use of alien items would seem a fair next step.

Next would be an all explosives only game :D

Yeah, I did a Level 4 ironman a last year, and I will win the Level 5 ironman that I'm doing now.

I've noticed the first part of the game is the most fun, up to getting good with MC (limited MC doesn't spoil the game).

Still, if you don't do Superhuman Ironman, then you can't say you went all the way ! :P !!!

There were a couplke of very minor surprises, but I won't spoil them for you...

Have fun, cos it still is....

Okay, I'm having doubts between an ironman superhuman with no alien technology (but with x-com alien-based technology except mc) and an ironman superhuman with grenades only.

My doubt is whether the latter is a challenge or just straight impossible.

I'de go for Scenario 1 only using the Alien tech thats needed to complete the game ( Craft )

I plan on trying that type out myself soon as I finish up TFTD game I'm Playing.

The only exception to my no Alien tech Campaign will be Alien Gernades cause Human Gernades are just stupidly weak.

I'de go for Scenario 1 only using the Alien tech thats needed to complete the game ( Craft )

I plan on trying that type out myself soon as I finish up TFTD game I'm Playing.

The only exception to my no Alien tech Campaign will be Alien Gernades cause Human Gernades are just stupidly weak.

Weak? Once your soldiers have a strength of 60. they can throw pretty well those Magna-Pack Explosives. Those are pretty good :)

The Leviathan is not an alien invention, it is invented by human engineers. What I meant by no using alien tech was using their items in battlescape, like sonic weaponry, disruptor, stun cannon and so on. If it's discovered by humans, and not used by aliens (like MC disruptor, or Coelacanths), even if those need alien item research, it's the human discovery that counts.

I assume an all grenade game would be quite frustrating, but in order to find out if it's impossible or not, play one with save/load options and see if it's doable

it would be very difficult until you get sonic pulsars though

I think Scott Jones finished one of those "only grenade campaign". Sonic pulsers can be researched as soon as 10-12 january with the appropriate scientist hiring (and technician sacking), and just 2-3 battles have to be fought with standard grenades.

And the power of 70 for Particle Disturbance Grenades is enough to take gillmen (and of course, aquatoids) most of the time.

The main problem would be when Lobstermen show up, those laugh at grenades

Lobstermen actually faint at the sight of grenades, so 3 or 4 of them knocks them out

In superhuman they need a bunch of grenades to die, and killing each of them with so many, it makes it tough. But yeah, the game can be eventually won with grenades, unless some pesky alien spawns in a place where you can't throw them

When playing a grenades only game of TFTD how do you capture the aliens you need to win the game, like a lobsterman commander.

The only way I know of getting the se guys is to Freeze them and carry'em out or MC them and let them walk out ??

Do you just lob High-X at them and hope they don't all die ????

When playing a grenades only game of TFTD how do you capture the aliens you need to win the game, like a lobsterman commander.

The only way I know of getting the se guys is to Freeze them and carry'em out or MC them and let them walk out ??

Do you just lob High-X at them and hope they don't all die ????

You can't use Thermal Shok Cannons, but the aliens can, and if they shoot badly, they can freeze themselves.

I'm not entirely sure, but if you're lucky enough, weak grenades can stun an alien, instead of killing it. Or maybe it's a smoke effect.

Well, it's a bit too tough, you can choose to play the game with grenades and non-shooting items, like movement detector, thermal tazer, and such

I don't think it would be Excessivly tough to capture a Lobsterman COmmander using just gernades...you might kill a few of em but it wont take too too long till one survives and is just knocked unconciouis...I think it would be harder to get the Live Deep one needed for Armor they are a lot less common and a lot softer..heh suppose ya could try knocking em out with smoke gernades :)

The hardest part of gernade only would really be the limit of 80 on larger scenarios especially if your dealing with lobstermen who typically carry stun launchers and use hand to hand on large scenario's ...wont be many gernades to pilfer along the way

Well, for a grenade-only game, the aliens carry quite a number of sonic pulsers. Particularly those carrying drills. They carry up to 4 pulsers! Woo! All the others have, what? 1 - 2 each? Still, even with scavenging bombs off aliens, I find they just aren't enough. But that's just me. ;)

By the way, I recommend holding onto 1 ranged weapon for cases where there's a flying unit that's hovering in the air/water and there's no reasonable means of blowing it up, like a nearby ledge or roof on the same level as the alien (I'm thinking of Biodrones here). My recommendation would be a sonic pistol and maybe two clips . Use it as an absolute last result, and running out of grenades does not count as a last result.

Oh, by the way, don't even think of attempting T'Leth with a grenade-only campaign. T'Leth is the only mission in the entire game where you slog through 3 levels (well, comparatively 'small' levels) where the aliens aren't armed with a single sonic pulser. Not one. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

- NKF

P. S: The dye grenade is a bit of a farce.

Hey, ammo is one of its main staying features! All things considered though, it's way better than most of your starting weapons all rolled together (well, mainly for its large ammo clip)! Not counting the heavier weapons like the hydro-jet cannon and the large torpedos - most of which will let you down on land missions.

The only reason it isn't as liked as the other weapons is due to its hopeless accuracy. Rookies can't hit the broad side of a moon with it. Give it to a veteran and watch as even Tasoth get mowed down by gauss pistol packing loonies.

When you want more power, move on up to the sonic pistol. Has the same ammo capacity as the Gauss Pistol, but you get to conserve it a bit more on account of having no auto fire. The ammo's dearer.

In either case, they work wonders when combined with grenades and a drill of some kind. The pistol's work well, but they're no good against heavily armoured foes.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I've had a very high opinion of ythe gauss pistol ever since I cleared a room of aliens except for the one I was aiming at !!! Yay!

Another questiion for the grenades only experts

do you do grenades only on superhuman - Ironman ??

Sounds too hard for me, but maybe I'm a softie..