XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Cryssalid Tactics

mikker

i've read in a post in the x-com forum about cryssalid tactics. i just though what it should do in 'cide. i have some ideas.

1)they should be able to jump up 1 square, able to reach your men 1 square up?
2)they should be able to reach upwards?
3)determine wether or not they can go back into hide after attack?
4)scout for the aliens as an alternetive use?

what do you think?

When I was thinking about alien abilities and stats in another thread, I thought about this: Chryssalids have some sort of paralyzing dart, so they can stun potential hosts, even from a (probably rather short) range. Of course, stunned humans would also fall down :) and be acceptable for impregnation, so stunning your own men to avoid zombification by Chryssalids wouldn't work anymore ;)

hmmmmm....that indeed sounds interesting. if we decide to go with the currrent model, we could just make its wolverine claws shoot out?

would the cryss then only be able to attack stunned?

Hmmm... possibly... We could say those darts could just as well be used in close combat as needles, the same way the poison/virus/eggs/whatever is injected in the subject. If they can only attack stunned humans you can have a 'saving throw' against a chryssalid stun attack too. :)

edit: and in multiplayer, the chryssalid dart genetic strain would have to be researched by the player :idea: Edited by j'ordos

They should behave just as Aliens. Hide in dark and wait for prey. Attack and hide. if this will be possible they should have ability to walk on walls or even ceilling.
They should be quick, hard to aim, but with small amount of HP.
I don't like saving throw idea. Chryssalids are scary because there is no protection from them. If they catch you, you are dead. However we can limit the amount of people one chryssalid can infect to one or two. After using all his infecting attacks he will go berserk :).
About stunning attack small modification chryssalid can attack unprepared victims. By unprepared I mean soldiers and civilians with low reaction("Chryssalis? Where...ARGH....") skill or those who have already reacted.

And about guys flying. Chryss should be able to jump to reach your soldier. It can even attach to your soldier and even "take him down" by ripping power source (20% chance of blowing up :devillaugh: ). When he will be on the ground again he will infect your soldier(if soldier's still alive after fall). Edited by demich

I imagine it would be something like this:

(Just in case it isn't clear, the chryssalid is leaping up onto the guy, and his sudden extra weight is more than the armor can compensate for, hence why he is dragged to the ground.

hmmm, yeah, but wouldnt you soldiers be able to get higher ground? they wouldnt be able to leap that high. thats were darts come into play!

instead of a safe throw, we could just give the cryssalid 70% acc. with the darts, and no autofire :)

autofire. that would look great...3 of your best men turned into zombies.

It would make the chrystallid more interesting if it runs up to you and stabs you with its "poison" claw though. If it shoots darts at you then it is just like the other aliens, using ranged attacks. Its interesting to have to stay away from the chrystallid, whereas with other aliens you get closer for better aim to make things easier

The melee attack of the bug is effective considering the insane TUs it gets. It's really best as a terror site unit, infecting civs faster than you can close the range to take it out. I think upgrades to the AI will make the thing nasty again. Letting it jump and climb walls makes it like a hybrid with a floater almost, outside v1 stuff in any case. I agree with the Alien AI scheme, kill and hide, maneuver, kill, hide again. With the high TUs, it can stab a civ and run behind a building. By the time you get there, it's out of sight again killing the next. Forces you to spread out more, where it can take you out individually. A better AI would have it run away from all flying units, focusing on civs and grounded soldiers.

Yes and it should avoid open spaces and seek places with roofs so there couldn't be flying x-coms.. I kinda like the idea of flying at the terror site and suddenly a stun dart flies from some dark corner and drops your soldier to the ground! (You'd know what to expect on next alien turn :devillaugh: ) Edited by Nyyperoid

yes, i agree with the wallclimbing. but i want to see them launch a dart. it wouldnt zombifize them, just stun them, making them fall. of cause they wouldnt be completely accurate! :) that would be too much!

but how could they jump op several stories? especially if we add big towers and high playing area.

yeah, but to the top of a sky skraper? it isnt superman :)

faster then a train, can jump a ten story building in ONE JUMP! :LOL:

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Dec 1 2003, 05:30 PM']Faster than a speeding plasma shot, more powerful than a Sectopod, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! Its not superman, its SuperChryssalid![/quote]
new Commander Tommy charrecter coooming up! :LOL:

but wouldnt it be unfair then? if they are so super?

I love the idea about them jumping. It would be great if they are hiding on top of a building in the dark, you send your guys through the streets searching... tense music plays... and it jumps down in the middle of your guys with no warning and starts stabbing them... scary stuff :devillaugh: Edited by coolp

heheheheh!b It would be nice to see some matrix cryssalid! HEH!

i mean, jump onto a building wall, kick off from it so it moves close to your men, staps them, kick off from them, rolling on the floor when it lands, and run into hide with laser beams at it that it dodges. :evil:

[quote name='mikker' date='Dec 3 2003, 01:19 PM']heheheheh!b  It would be nice to see some matrix cryssalid! HEH!

i mean, jump onto a building wall, kick off from it so it moves close to your men, staps them, kick off from them, rolling on the floor when it lands, and run into hide with laser beams at it that it dodges. :evil:[/quote]
don't forget the rotating camera while the chrysallid is in mid-air :P

• 2 months later...
Soldiers and civilians with low Morale/Reaction stats should receive a 1round-duration "panic", causing them to be unavailable for the round if "Chryssalid Terror (passive)" has not been researched.
The Chry' should really remain as the alien terrorist we all hate! :D

Hehe Matrix-Chry :D
Rotating camera while 10 soldiers try to shoot him down :D

Groovie ^_^

Making it so that chrysalids are dangerous to your human soldiers is a good idea. However, they should be primarily hit-and-run troops IMO, as Bruenor said. Hide in the shadows, pop out and zombify someone, then run away before you can react.

The Chryssalid could be similar to a velociraptor, possibly. They could hunt in packs, then overwhelm your troops on all sides, and in a few turns an army of zombies is all that is left.

That, or the Chryssalid could be like some kind of mantis thing that is incredibly agile and sometimes crashes through a second story window to pounce on your soldier and take him out.

For a bit of a messed up comparison, if anyone has seen the movie [i]A Bug's Life[/i], there is this insane grasshopper on a leash that they let loose and he goes crazy attacking the ants. The Chryssalid could be something like him. :-P

Perhaps not packs, that would be really unfair. More like the classic "aliens" alien I'd say.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Puasonen']I kinda like the idea of flying at the terror site and suddenly a stun dart flies from some dark corner and drops your soldier to the ground! (You'd know what to expect on next alien turn  )[/quote]

This would really add some atmosphere to the game which I think is the key to getting the xcom feel. That game had some real atmosphere, I can't recall how often I caught myself chewing away at my nails on the alien turns.

Basically if the Spawns can down your men with a "stun dart" and they don't make it to your guy on time you have that race agianst time to grab your guy and carry him to saftey while other team members try to light up the Spawn.

Also another thing that I think would be a nice added bonus about the whole "stun darts" is make them work like a bee sting... when a bee stings you it gives off pharamones that the others bees smell and then they swarm you. So at a terror site if the spawn gets a dart in you but you manage to kill it the other spawns will then smell you out and swarm to you. This could be an added tactic. Bait a guy with a spawn's dart then have a couple guys ready to blow the others away :uzzi:

As far as the jumping Spawns, it would make sense for them to jump 1 level up but no more then that. If they see a guy 2-3 levels above them they would most likely shoot him down.

Stun darts would need ALOT of force to penetrate a 300 lb flying suit.

Why shouldn't spawns work together with their viper counterparts? A viper could take down your guys with a stun launcher, while the spawn stabs your agents as they fall out of the sky.

A spawn's venom might be so powerful, that it can reanimate a recently slain person. Any soldier/civilian that's been dead for only a few turns could still be transformed by a spawn's venom, though it won't be as healthy a fresh human. It can quickly turn a bad mission into a nightmare.

It'd give a more symbiotic relationship between the vipers and spawns. The vipers knock down the flying guys, and the spawns multiply... :devillaugh:

Nice touch RoboDojo...the worse has gone Apocaliptical.....I like it! :D

Thx, Black Dash.

Spawns are terror units, so they'll only be found in cities and dense rural areas, right? A spawn doesn't need to jump 20 feet in the air in those areas. All it really needs to do is climb.

Think about it. There are going to be very few flat areas in a city. Everything else is cramped quarters and buildings. If a chrysallid can climb a building, it can jump pretty much anywhere, and get your agents whether they can fly, or not. The vipers can take care of the rest. :)

Their claws can penetrate 300lb alloy armor, so it'd be no problem sticking them into a wall and climbing it.

Of course, climbing would change the spawns completely, and probably isn't V1. But, stun darts would be a complete change, as well... :rolleyes:

I like the idea of being able to "animate" the dead with the poison/virus if you think about it they do refeer to the soldiers as zombies after they have been attacked. So if a fresh kill is found by a Spawn it is reasonable to assume that the Spawn could impregnate the body. IIRC the chrysies planted an egg in the victim and then the offspring bursted out of the host. If this is the case for the Spawns then they would not need a living host just one that was still warm :naughty: . This would keep you from just leaving your dead soliders laying around in a terror mission. If you set a rule where the spawn could only infect corpses that have been dead from 1-3 turns then it would be a lot more challenging.

"Sir , Jennings is down."
"Get that body now solider"
"Wait sir... I think I see him moving.. Jennings I thought they got you man.. hey you don't look toAHHHHHHHHH!"
"Private report... Private..."

:o