XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Hyperwave Decoder, Base Detection ~Broken?

Akimb0

I finally got my Hyperwave Decoders set up to replace my Large radars across my bases. (One in North America, one in Europe, one in South Africa, one in SE Asia.)

I checked the graphs for alien activity in SE Asia and there's been a large spike there, but my Hyperwave Decoders seem to all be broken. Like, every single one. I have no activity show up for nearly the entirety of the month, I even have a terror ship land definitely within range of my base' detection range, but my HWD didn't pick it up. Nothing else seems to be detected. Russia and China complained I hadn't done enough about UFO activity. However I've not seen any UFO activity there at all. It got so bad I rebuilt Large Radar systems in ALL my bases, which seem to detect far better than Hyperwave decoders....then suddenly the HWD seemed to kick in every now and again, and would detect a ship or two.

So...

Is it normal to get such long quiet periods?

I thought HWD would detect everything, was I wrong...?

I'm close to just restarting the game entirely, because if I've missed like 20 days of UFO activity for some reason, then I don't know how bad things are going to have become.

Oh, when I check my base information, it doesn't mention Hyperwave Decoders at all. I thought it should form a new line below "Long range detection"?

Also - I use the UFO extender and selected to fix the bug where radars don't stack properly....that wouldn't have any effect would it?

At a total loss as to what to do now :(

edit: I figured this must be a bug of somekind, though I've never heard of it, so I went and got a save editor (bad I know) and deleted the HWD's in all my bases. Then I added them again using the editor with 1 day left on them for building. A quick test seems to show that this cleared whatever issue the game was having with them, as I seem to be able to detect things using them now........still, I'm wondering about the quiet period and the spike in SE asia with what appears to be a lack of UFO around there. How do I detect bases? Send out and patrol with my Sky Ranger, where the supply ships would have been landing right? Though I've not seen any supply ships, skipping forwards in time by days at a time, to see if my HWD worked revealed only a single terror ship in SE Asia. Sorry this post seems to have become quite random and rambly....but any advice welcome :)

Edited by Akimb0

Hi,

as for the large spike of activity on the graphs and nothing happening on the geoscape - perhaps the aliens are active on some far-away part of the area you seem to control?

I think I had one situation like this - had high activity in Australasia or however that is called - while I had a base built in the center of Australia and I saw no action at all - then it turned out they built a base far away on the perimeter fo the area.

P.

Normally hyperwave decoders not working occur when using legacy base editors that fail to set the base's hyperwave detection abilities and only place the module. If it wasn't done via an editor, then something must have glitched at the time of the module creation and base's hyperwave values weren't set. This is often easily fixed when the next module (any) at that base is completed. The scanning values will be recalculated and set properly.

Of course, that does not rule out long periods of inactivity or as mentioned the aliens operating just beyond your detection radius. I have experienced one game where I had practically no activity in a month (I think February). But it is rather random. Just keep at it. They'll show.

As for the base information screen: The values for the radars here have no meaning beyond being a count of the types of radars in the vanilla game. HWDs are counted as large.

Alien base detection: Not all supply ships are necessarily on a supply run unless they regularly land at the same spot. Then it's only possible to detect alien bases if they physically exist, and only your aircraft radar will be able to pick them up. Note: aircraft radars don't work while they are in transit, make sure they're in patrol mode.

There is also the 'agents' (or Mutual UFO Network?) that reveal the location of the bases from time to time if you fail to detect them after a while. Possibly done through a measure of performance (or lack of) or even time since it was created.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Thanks for the replies! It turns out that it was just a random quiet month.

Normally hyperwave decoders not working occur when using legacy base editors that fail to set the base's hyperwave detection abilities and only place the module. If it wasn't done via an editor, then something must have glitched at the time of the module creation and base's hyperwave values weren't set. This is often easily fixed when the next module (any) at that base is completed. The scanning values will be recalculated and set properly.

Seems to be correct. When I tried to correct the first problem (which was actually just a quiet month, oops), I only created another one as you described.

As for an alien base, it's probably just me being paranoid, now I know my detection is working as it should be, I've not seen any tell tale signs of a base yet.