XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alternate Dev. Environment + Linux Port Progrses

Jon

Hi all, I am interested (as many people are) in an open source and thus more hackable version of XCOM/UFO for the modern world :)

I am hoping xenocide will satisfy my desire however I have a few questions regarding development.

Firstly, I read on a post that you need to use MS VC++ to compile this project. I was alarmed and I hoped that this was an out-of-date post - is this still the case? Can it be compiled using the free command-line tools MS now provide? Does the project seriously dictate the IDE that developers must use?

Secondly, I realise that a few people have attempted to get xenocide to work in linux. I was just wondering if someone could provide detailed descriptions of their progress (or lack thereof).

Finally, I'm interested in working on this project but I'm uncomfortable with being forced to use a particular IDE. I work best with a terminal and VI; in linux and/or windows. Is there any likelyhood of this restriction being relaxed? If I (or someone else) made a serious inroad into getting the thing to compile properly in linux, without breaking windows support, is it likely for such patches to be integrated into the main source tree?

Many thanks,

Jon

Not being a programmer or in the know as to the accuracy of my reply, please take this with a big grain of salt; I think I saw that the MS version was the officially supported version, but that other versions also worked. And I'm 90% certain that I saw another member who was an active Linux dude, who was working on Linux porting goodness. Mostly on getting the open source versions of the development tools working properly.

We would love to have you join us, you might be able to help our progress towards a Linux-friendly version! The primary developers are focusing on a working Windows version due to developer time limits, so the more people we have the better off we are in that case.

The post that seems to indicate that the MS C++ IDE is required is slightly inaccurate. The free developers tools that are available online will work. You only need the MS C++ compiler.

Initially the project's goals were to make Xenocide compatible with both Linux and Windows. The lack of Linux developers has caused us to shift our focus to Windows primarily.

If you can create a set of patches that would make Xenocide Linux compatible, they would be more than welcome. Please understand though, that we cannot dedicate any time to this task specifically. Also note that the source currently available in the SourceForge CVS is most likely outdated as we are currently in the middle of a switch to the OGRE graphics engine and the MS C++ compiler.

-MSM

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Hmm I am not sure. But the OgrePage says it compiles on gcc too. (At lerast their stuff.) I do not know how carful you have to code in order to stay open minded for both plattforms.

The thing which disturbes me more is that you use Direct X. That is in General a bad Idea since that can't be portet. I do not know how the OpenGL layer works with the current version, but it would be great if you keep an eye on that in future for a easy port in future (If today is nobody working on...).

OpenGL works on Windows out of the box too, so you just save work for the future.

thx

legine

Legine, if you take a quick look into the Ogre engine you will notice that it support both renderers. So we use DirectX in Windows because it is the most standard, but nothing avoids you to use the OpenGL renderer (just a switch in the initial config window)...

About Development, you shouldnt have brought up such an old thread as it is misleeding. The current MS IDE has all the updating/instalation procedure automated, but nothing prevents to compile in other environment as long as everything you do, do not conflict with the windows/visual studio version.

Please take a look at the docs.projectxenocide.com site where you will find all the relevant information.

BTW I am closing this thread.

Greetings

Red Knight