XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Heavy Cannon

Aosar

Up to zero-G? Does that make sense? And when are X-Corps ever going to be using this in zero-G?

Well, considering modern computer technology it is possible. And I like the idea that scientist actually think ahead a bit, even though the design becomes obsolite very soon and never actually reaches the point where it needs these qualities...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... system's hardware and software are updated for adjusting to an extremely different environment, up to 0 G functionality!

That last bit still needs looking at. Im not quite sure what you are trying to say. What do you mean by penultimate adaptation? Whats the last adaptation?

What do you mean by penultimate adaptation?

Weell, to be exact, I'm not sure. :Blush: I just use big words to sound smart...

What I really meant, was that the zero-g adaption is the pinnace of what the gun can do, a swansong(sp?) one might say.

:LOL: Ok. Well thats fair enough. ITs just that the wording is a little strange. Try something like:

... system's hardware and software have been updated to enable it to adjust to many different environments - including full zero-G functionality!

Just to be a language nag...

Then what's the ultimate adaption? Penultimate means 'next-to-last'

Maybe rather than 0-G (which isn't really that bad for mechanical devices), say it's adapted to hard vacuum (ie:outer space). I suspect that's what you were trying to imply anyway.

-The Captain

Hmm, howabout; "In the Mark 2 - aimed for X-Corps use - the targeting system's hardware and software are updated for adjusting to an extremely different environment, upto full funtionality in outer space!" :huh:

Or is that too much?

I dont know why you want this 'upto' in there. That would need a number, like 'upto six clips'.

The 'ajusting to and extremely different' bit sounds funny again, i still think what i suggested earlier was best.

Well, howabout; "system's hardware and software have been updated to enable it to adjust to many different environments - including full outer space functionality!"

And it's "...ajusting to an extremely different..."

Well, howabout; "system's hardware and software have been updated to enable it to adjust to many different environments - including full outer space functionality!"

Much better. Sounds good.

And it's "...ajusting to an extremely different..."

Sorry, i cant type normally, let alone after a couple of beers. :beer:

Much better. Sounds good.

So, got stuff to whine about, or is it ready to be "gold?" :LOL:

Sorry, i cant type normally, let alone after a couple of beers.

... Here was supposed to be a wierd(and possibly bad) joke about the Amish, but I remembered the "no religious stuff" policy... Not that I could hurt any feelings by making fun of the Amish, I think...

Edited by Aosar

• 1 year later...

[edit]: removed the redundant ctd quote...

Now, the heavy cannon, or heavy rifle as it is now called is not fired from the hip, but from the shoulder, atleast according to the consept art. So we well ditch the whole hipshooting idea.

Now, what about the nano-muscle, shall we ditch that and use some more conventional way of reducing the recoil?

And what about the OLED targeting system, scap that as well? It could work tho, the gun is bulky enough in the art to perhaps require said system?

Edited by Aosar

i don't think the nano-muscle plastic will be a problem, the other alternative would be placing a pillow on the rifle butt. That's not really what i would call an technological breakthrough in weapon design though :P

there are other recoil systems around if you would like to consider a change or perhaps re-invention, but i don't think it's nessesary.

on the other hand, the OLED might be better exchanged with a scope or perhaps finding a way of combining the two, since from memory, the cannon/heavy rifle in the art department was being directed more towards a style of sniper rifle.

also, you will probably need to go into the ammo feeding system so that the reader can get alittle more info on the actual workings of the weapon rather than its accessories.

you could try and locate an artist who is willing to pick up the cannon/heavy rifle design and feed each other with ideas and inner workings. I'm sure the Art department would be happy to have another model wrapped up and ready for the cargo bay. But it may be harder than it sounds ^_^

Current weapon designs reflect their use in standard military engagements.  This new war requires a full range of weapon specialties, in particular weapons powerful enough to stop whatever our agents find themselves up against, but light enough to be usable by one soldier in the field, as personnel resources are limited.

The MM-7 Mark 2 'Heavy Cannon' 20mm multi-purpose cannon  is a result of combining old USSR designs with modern day technology. The designs were acquired during the cold war, by U.S. military intelligence, however the designs were incomplete and had a few terminal flaws that made the MM-7 an unreachable goal until very few years ago.

MM-7 is designed as a curious hybrid of a light granade launcher and a sniper rifle, or perhaps calling the MM-7 a portable artillery weabon would be more appropriate.The MM-7 features semi-automatic fire and the ability to choose the type of ammunition you want to use. Clips can contain up to six High Explosive, Incendiary or Armor Piercing rounds.

Normally weapons using 20mm ammo are mounted on a bipod/tripod or a vehicle, this is however not the case with MM-7. The MM-7 uses a metallic spring and a polymeric nanomuscle or "memory plastic" composite structure for dampening the recoil. This system is highly effective, but the recoil is still powerful enough to cause a strong jolt. The "memory plastic" used in the recoil dampening functions by assuming its original form after compression when subjected to a specified frequency of electricity.

The targeting system on the MM-7 is designed to dramatically increase the level of enviormental awareness of the operatives. The targeting system's main function is to show to the operative what kind of effect to the bullet surrounding enviorment has.

It is also worth noting that by a UN decree, after the alien war is over all MM-7 line weapons are to be destroyed for humanitarian reasons.

• 5 months later...

I was reading this CT, and I really like the ideas in it; on an idea level, I have but a few comments, but I've made several other minor comments throughout the text. I'm made a very strong effort to avoid "Astyanaxizing" the text; and from the looks of it, I've successfully suppressed my instinct! :D

Fixed a few spelling and grammatical errors (additions in red, deletions in orange), capitalized an instance of "Alien", and made comments in blue.

Current weapon designs reflect their use in standard military engagements.  This new war requires a full range of weapon specialties, in particular weapons powerful enough to stop whatever our agents find themselves up against, but light enough to be usable by one soldier in the field, as personnel resources are limited.

The MM-7 Mark 2 'Heavy Cannon' 20mm multi-purpose cannon is a result of combining old USSR designs with modern day technology. The designs were acquired during the Cold War, by U.S. military intelligence, however the designs were incomplete and had a few terminal flaws that made the MM-7 an unreachable goal until very few years ago.

"goal" sounds weird in the last sentence; the construction of a MM-7 might be an unreachable goal, but the weapon itself can't be the goal.  Suggest: "...the construction of the MM7 an unreachable goal" or "...that made the MM7 an unachievable design"?

MM-7 is designed as a curious hybrid of a light grenade launcher and a sniper rifle, or perhaps calling the MM-7 a portable artillery weapon would be more appropriate.  The MM-7 features semi-automatic fire and the ability to choose the type of ammunition you want to use. Clips can contain up to six High Explosive, Incendiary, or Armor Piercing rounds.

The first sentence starts strangely.  Suggest: "The MM-7 was designed..." or "The MM-7's design is a curious hybrid..."  The second and third sentences are grammatically correct, though they probably can be combined to streamline the text: "The MM-7 features semi-automatic fire and the ability to use clips containing six High Explosive, Incendiary, or Armor Piercing rounds."

Normally, weapons using 20mm ammo are mounted on a bipod/tripod or a vehicle, this is however not the case with MM-7. The MM-7 uses a metallic spring and a polymeric nanomuscle or "memory plastic" composite structure for dampening the recoil. This system is highly effective, but the recoil is still powerful enough to cause a strong jolt. The "memory plastic" used in the recoil dampening functions by assuming its original form after compression when subjected to a specified frequency of electricity.

The last sentence sounds a little off; maybe: "The "memory plastic" used to dampen the recoil..." or "The "memory plastic" recoil dampener..."?

The targeting system on the MM-7 is designed to dramatically increase the level of environmental awareness of the operatives. The targeting system's main function is to show to the operative what kind of effect to the bullet surrounding environment has.

I really like the "memory plastic" and targeting system ideas, but they don't seem to be fleshed out too well.  If they were explained in greater detail, I think it'd made a larger impact.

It is also worth noting that by a UN decree, after the Alien war is over all MM-7 line weapons are to be destroyed for humanitarian reasons.

This paragraph may not be necessary?

Structurally, the first paragraph doesn't seem to be a "short description" of the Heavy Cannon, and, to quote mikker, "this thing needs a fluff!" :P

Edited by Astyanax

you want a fluff? I'll give you a fluff! :P

"Rambo: eat your heart out!" ~ Proud new owner of MM-7.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

CDT-VAHC

X-Net [V.A.H.C/heavy cannon]

The [V.A.H.C] or Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon is an extremely heavy modular weapon system.

Originally designed to widen our [HWP’s] mission parameters, however too much storage space required for ammunition types required a significant reduction in armor and top speeds.

The Hwp program was discontinued but designs were not scrapped.

Talks of research into semi-automatic heavy weaponry light enough for a single person, this weapon was suddenly ideal.

Tests using our strongest soldiers proved that while not the easiest weapon to carry it proves its worth in most situations.

Operating on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round to load and fire the weapon as well as ejectig the spent case,

An internal [6] round clip protects the ammunition from stray weapons fire.

Due to the clips location, a smaller barrel has been added which coupled with new lightweight polymers

the overall weight Has been reduced enough for [2-3] additional clips can be carried.

A second squad member carrying extra ammo should be considered. Recent advances in gyrostabilizers have reduced recoil enough to allow acceptable rate of fire.

computer assisted aiming allows for area saturation with med-long range shells, or semi assisted aiming is in effect for short ranges

With a 6 round modular drum system that allows for three ammunition types.

For close range squad support, 25 mm high impact armor piercing {HIAP} rounds deliver single, powerful shell to soft/organic targets

For medium to long range the XM25, a 25mm airburst grenade has been integrated allow light fortification assault and against infantry formations is highly deadly.

Small blast radius

25mm Incendiary rounds filled with gel type napalm that stick to any targets caught in its small blast radius. Effective at medium to long range; they have been approved for anti-materiel purposes, which expand the mission profiles this weapon can fit

A deadly weapon in the hands of veterans, most rookies however find the V.A.H.C too heavy For their liking.

any better? (all feedback welcome) :)

Edited by sneekysilk

It's a good first draft :) Nevertheless, you might want to rephrase some sentences to clarify. I used blue for comments, red for deletions. Sorry if it's a little "unstructured" :)

I hope I was not too harsh with my critics.

VAHC

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Weapons/VAHC

The [V.A.H.C] or Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon is an extremely heavy modular weapon system.

Originally designed to widen our [HWP’s] mission parameters, however too much storage space required for ammunition types required a significant reduction in armor and top speeds.

Please use XCAP, not HWP, and write "X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP)" -same goes with VAHC. Plus, maybe don't use the dots.

I wouldn't use "extremely heavy modular weapon system", but just "The Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon (VAHC) is a very heavy portable modular weapon system"

Maybe you could rephrase the second sentence? It doesn't make sense to me.

Talks of research into  semi-automatic heavy weaponry light enough for a single person, this weapon was suddenly ideal.

I don't understand this last sentence. Sorry :(

Tests using our strongest soldiers proved that while not the easiest weapon to carry it proves its worth in most situations.

Maybe you could "scienticify" this? Like "Despite the heavy recoil up to xxx kilonewton we think, a good trained soldier should be able to handle the VAHC in combat with good results.

Operating on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round to load and fire the weapon as well as ejectig the spent case,

an internal [6] round clip protects the ammunition from stray weapons fire.

I don't think this belongs together. Why did you merge this in one sentence?

Due to the clips location, a smaller barrel has been added which coupled with new lightweight polymers.

The overall weight Has been reduced enough for [2-3] additional clips can be carried.

Maybe: "The weapons overall weight was reduced to allow enogh additional clips carried by the Heavy weapons trooper himself.Nevertheless, a second aquad member..."

A second squad member carrying extra ammo should be considered. Recent advances in gyrostabilizers have reduced recoil enough to allow acceptable rate of fire.

Played a lot Aftershock recently, ha? :P I'm not sure if this really is a add on which is worth it's weight. For a weapon this size/recoil you would need a pretty heavy gyro stabelizer. Plus, remember, if you use a gyro stabelizer, it might be more easy to shoot not moving targets, but as soon as you whish to move the barrel, you would have to work against the stabelizers...

computer assisted aiming allows for area saturation with med-long range shells, or semi assisted aiming is in effect for short ranges

How is CAA working?

With a 6 round modular drum system that allows for three ammunition types:

For close range squad support, 25 mm high impact armor piercing {HIAP} rounds deliver single, powerful shell to soft/organic targets

For medium to long range the XM25, a 25mm airburst grenade has been integrated allow light fortification assault and against infantry formations is highly deadly.

Small blast radius

Makes no sense. Sorry.

25mm Incendiary rounds filled with gel type napalm that stick to any targets caught in its small blast radius. Effective at medium to long range; they have been approved for anti-materiel purposes, which expand the mission profiles this weapon can fit

A deadly weapon in the hands of veterans, most rookies however find the V.A.H.C too heavy For their liking.

any better? (all feedback welcome) :)

Maybe you want to try to add some additional "grease" to it. Don't just enumerate the facts, bring some sort of "story" etc etc...

Damn, Mad was way faster than me... Good work pal :)

Sneeky, your draft was a nice first try :). But, you still need some work to get used to the Xenocide writing style :wink1:

I agree with Mad's comments, and they are a good first start. I will try to comment your second draft :)

Please use XCAP, not HWP, and write "X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP)" -same goes with VAHC. Plus, maybe don't use the dots.

I wouldn't use "extremely heavy modular weapon system", but just "The Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon (VAHC) is a very heavy portable modular weapon system"

He means that if they were to implement this model on X-Caps, they should sacrifice mobility and armor capacity.

Talks of research into  semi-automatic heavy weaponry light enough for a single person, this weapon was suddenly ideal.

I don't understand this last sentence. Sorry sad.gif

Scientists were working on a way to turn this "semi-automatic heavy weaponry" into a model light enough to be used by soldiers. So, after some brainstorming, this concept was found to be the best (the ideal) for the situation.

With a 6 round modular drum system that allows for three ammunition types:

Small blast radius

Makes no sense. Sorry.

I can think of some possible meanings, but I don't know what sneeky had in mind, sry :)

Indeed, these texts should be written in a formal style, report format and use scientific terms whenever applicable. More consistent paragraphs wouldn't hurt either :)

Keep up the good work =b

Damn, Mad was way faster than me...

:NyaNyaNya:

He means that if they were to implement this model on X-Caps, they should sacrifice mobility and armor capacity.

Well, I guessed so, but this might need some rephrasing, 'cause I don't like to guess... :P

I don't understand this last sentence. Sorry sad.gif

Scientists were working on a way to turn this "semi-automatic heavy weaponry" into a model light enough to be used by soldiers. So, after some brainstorming, this concept was found to be the best (the ideal) for the situation.

See above... :)

sneekysilk, please don't be frustrated now, we all head our problems when starting to write for the CTD. It's not that easy, you have to get used to it. :)

Damn, Mad was way faster than me...

:NyaNyaNya:

Feeling lucky? Get ready to eat dirt :NyaNyaNya:

Well, I guessed so, but this might need some rephrasing, 'cause I don't like to guess... :P
Of course most of the text needs re-phrasing, that's without question

sneekysilk, please don't be frustrated now, we all head our problems when starting to write for the CTD. It's not that easy, you have to get used to it. :)
An easy start isn't challenging anyway, right? :D

VAHC

The Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon [VAHC] is a very heavy portable modular weapon system.

Designed formerly to widen X-corps assault platform (Xcap) mission parameters, the storage space required for ammunition types meant a significant reduction in XCAP armor values and maximum sustained speeds, leading Scientists designed a prototype to turn this "semi-automatic heavy weaponry" into a model light enough to be used by soldiers. This concept was found to be the most ideal for any battlefield situation

Due to the Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon’s (VAHC) high weight a special harness, distributes the bulk of the mass evenly over the trooper allowing near maximum mobility.

The gun itself sits on a sliding frame similar to those used by large film cameras,

This displaces most of the weapons weight off the troopers arms and onto the weapons harness.

Operating on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round eject spent casing and to load/re-male chicken the weapon for next shot. A simple mechanism guarantees maximum reliability in the most stressful environments.

The main weight is taken up by a heavy recoil damper, the guns harness and frame also add to the weight, ammo drums also add more weight to the soldiers kit.

Computer assisted aiming allow almost pinpoint detonation of High explosive and incendiary ammo types.

Using 6 round modular drums allow three ammunition types,

1)25 mm high impact armor piercing {HIAP} rounds deliver single, powerful shell to soft/organic targets

But no damage to surrounding terrain, these are standard issue for close range against organic/lightly armored targets.

2)25 mm grenades allow light armor assault, against infantry formations, explosive ammo is highly deadly. This ammo does terrain damage and has a blast radius similar to that of a [standard grenade] designed for medium to long range.

3)25 mm Incendiary rounds filled with gel type napalm that stick to any targets caught in its small blast radius. Effective at medium to long range; they have been approved for anti-materiel purposes, which expand the mission profiles this weapon can fit

A deadly weapon in the hands of a veteran, most rookies find the Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon (VAHC)too heavy for their liking.

LOL mk 2 anybetter? (thanks for the gyro note (forgot they don’t support horizontal movement ROFL) and thanks LOL if you dont tell me how you want it i cant do it:P

and i dont get frustrated :P i get a revised copy done for more revision (by you lovly) (unless pp time {pp=post pub})

huh? dont ask me i just follow orders :P

Much better. =b

I rephrased some sentences myself, have a look... :)

blue for the rephrased parts and anotations, red for deletions.

VAHC

Originally designed to widen X-Corps assault platform (XCAP) mission parameters, the Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon [VAHC] has become the standard heavy weapon support system for X-Corps missions.

Due to the storage space required for ammunition types a significant reduction in XCAP armor values would have been necessary to allow standard battlefield speeds.  Scientists designed a prototype to turn the original "semi-automatic heavy weaponry"  design into a model light enough to be used by soldiers. The VAHC concept was found to be the most ideal for any battlefield situation. Nevertheless, to allow sufficient mobility, a special harness was necessary distributing the bulk of the mass evenly over the troopers torso.

The gun itself rests on a sliding frame similar to those used by large film cameras displacing most of the weapons weight off the troopers arms and onto the harness.

Operating on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round to eject spent casing and to reload/re-male chicken the weapon for next shot.  A simple mechanism guarantees maximum reliability in the most stressful environments.

The main weight is taken up by a heavy recoil damper, the guns harness and frame also add to the weight, ammo drums also add more weight to the soldiers kit.

Computer assisted aiming allow almost pinpoint detonation of High explosive and incendiary ammo types.

Using The 6 round modular drums allow fitting with three different ammunition types,:

1)25 mm high impact armor piercing (HIAP) rounds which deliver single, powerful shell projectiles to easily permeating soft/organic targets as well as armoured targets, but not inflicting damage to surrounding terrain,; these are standard issue for close range against organic/lightly armored targets. 

2)25 mm grenades allow light armor assault, and are deadly to unarmoured targets against infantry formations, explosive ammo is highly deadly. This ammo does terrain damage and has a blast radius similar to that of a [standard grenade] designed for medium to long range.

3)25 mm Incendiary rounds filled with gel type napalm that stick to any targets caught in its small blast radius. Effective at medium to long range; they have been approved for anti-materiel purposes, which expand the mission profiles this weapon can fit

A deadly weapon in the hands of a veteran, nevertheless most rookies find the VAHC too heavy for their liking.

nice (LOL much better) thanks do as you feel fit :)

next question most likely would be clips any concepts ?

was thinking more along the lines of damage rather than armor pearcing LOL as 25 mm would require a lot to velocity to penetrate much armor, prob more along the lines of "take down" power flechettes? (kinda like buckshot tho on impact)

the "nades" are not so bad prob along the lines of semi-smart grenade rounds (but still programed to explode on impact)

Incendiary is prob a little harder due to the size of the shell, mabe kinda mini fuel air bomb? (on impact the surrouding area is exposed to 600c ish for a sec as the small ammount of fuel is ejected and creates falshpoint effect incenerating the area on impact)??? or more along the flamethrower gel type??

LOL this is good fun i must say thanks again xenocide departments :D

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Heavy_Cannon

Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon

Originally designed to widen X-Corps assault platform (XCAP) mission parameters, the Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon (VAHC) has become the standard heavy weapon support system for X-Corps missions. Due to the storage space required for ammunition types a significant reduction in XCAP armor values would have been necessary to allow standard battlefield speeds. 

Scientists designed a prototype to turn the original "semi-automatic heavy weaponry" design into a model light enough to be used by soldiers. The VAHC concept was found to be the most ideal for any battlefield situation. Nevertheless, to allow sufficient mobility, a special harness was necessary distributing the bulk of the mass evenly over the troopers torso.

The gun itself rests on a sliding frame similar to those used by large film cameras displacing most of the weapons weight off the trooper’s arms and onto the harness. Operating on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round to eject spent casing and reload the weapon for next shot.  A simple mechanism guarantees maximum reliability in the most stressful environments. Computer assisted aiming allow almost pinpoint detonation of High explosive and incendiary ammo types.

The 6 round modular drums allow fitting with three different ammunition types:

- 25 mm high impact armor piercing (HI-AP) rounds which deliver single, powerful projectiles easily permeating soft/organic targets as well as armored targets, but not inflicting damage to surrounding terrain; these are standard issue for close range against organic/lightly armored targets.

- 25 mm grenades allow light armor assault and are deadly to unarmored targets. This ammo does terrain damage and has a blast radius similar to that of a [standard grenade] designed for medium to long range.

- 25 mm incendiary rounds filled with gel type napalm that stick to any targets caught in its small blast radius. Effective at medium to long range; they have been approved for anti-materiel purposes, which expand the mission profiles this weapon can fit

A deadly weapon in the hands of a veteran, nevertheless most rookies find the VAHC too heavy for their liking.

- Hey cook, there is no “Emendal” cheese left!

- We could fix that…

Conversation in the cooking chamber

So, I HAD confused the Heavy cannon with the Autocannon, so I have some homework to do :)

Edited by kafros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Automatic_cannons

VAHC

Originally designed to widen X-Corps assault platform (XCAP) mission parameters, the Variable Ammo Heavy Cannon (VAHC) has become the standard heavy weapon support system for X-Corps missions. Due to the storage space required for ammunition types a significant reduction in XCAP armor values would have been necessary to allow standard battlefield speeds. 

Scientists designed a prototype to turn the original "semi-automatic heavy weaponry" design into a model light enough to be used by soldiers. The VAHC concept was found to be the most ideal for any battlefield situation. Nevertheless, to allow sufficient mobility, a special harness was necessary distributing the bulk of the mass evenly over the troopers torso.

The gun itself rests on a sliding frame similar to those used by large film cameras displacing most of the weapons weight off the trooper’s arms and onto the harness. Operating on the blowback principle, which uses the chamber pressure from each fired round to eject spent casing and reload the weapon for next shot.  A simple mechanism guarantees maximum reliability in the most stressful environments. Computer assisted aiming allow almost pinpoint detonation of High explosive and incendiary ammo types.

The 6 round modular drums allow fitting with three different ammunition types:

- 25 mm high impact armor piercing (HI-AP) rounds which deliver single, powerful projectiles easily permeating soft/organic targets as well as armored targets, but not inflicting damage to surrounding terrain; these are standard issue for close range against organic/lightly armored targets.

- 25 mm grenades allow light armor assault and are deadly to unarmored targets. This ammo does terrain damage and has a blast radius similar to that of a [standard grenade] designed for medium to long range.

- 25 mm incendiary rounds filled with gel type napalm that stick to any targets caught in its small blast radius. Effective at medium to long range; they have been approved for anti-materiel purposes, which expand the mission profiles this weapon can fit

- Hey cook, there is no “Emendal” cheese left!

- We could fix that…

Conversation in the cooking chamber

This infrantry-operated autocannon looks like a chain gun right?

Then, how can it fire grenades? I think it can only handle different kinds of bullets.

In addition, it rotates while firing?

Miniguns are a nice source of inspiration, together with the Gatling gun and you just can't miss the Vulcan

=====

Hey, have I confused the Heavy cannon with the Autocannon or something?!?!?!?! >_<

I think you did :)

nice (LOL much better) thanks do as you feel fit :)

Nevertheless it is your text. What we are writing are only proposals. You should carefully weigh what (and how) you want in your CT and what not. This is your baby... :)

Hey, have I confused the Heavy cannon with the Autocannon or something?!?!?!?! >_

Heavy cannon has 6 rounds, Auto cannon 14... :)

Edited by Mad

Please correct me if I am wrong. The original EU had:

1) An Autocannon (vulcan style gun)

2) A Heavy cannon (something like a grenade launcher)

3) A Rocket launcher

So, the heavy cannon uses a pack of 6 nades. They were ordinary, HE and IN, ok?

Please correct me if I am wrong. The original EU had:

1) An Autocannon (vulcan style gun)

2) A Heavy cannon (something like a grenade launcher)

3) A Rocket launcher

So, the heavy cannon uses a pack of 6 nades. They were ordinary, HE and IN, ok?

yap. correct. :)

this may be "my baby" but whats a single celled creature in the scheme of things?

LOL im just happy to take part and as per the AGREEMENT this is not "my" baby but a potental asset to xenocide. as such, im overly happy to be allowed to "throw concepts about" as the bigger porject (xenocide go's) as long as senior staff are happy with one of the concept or another's, write up,

original,modified or otherwise is concerned, im happy just being given the chance to take part in such a long awaited project =b

note to self; get all tabacco out of keybord, less errors.

(as for revisions liking more and more of what i see) question is ;- which sections are more in genre for the game? most are doing the trick but which in whos (or which section) is in the "flavor" of xenocide?? (says the "noob") :P

/me sadonic grin ^_^

just fimished speaking on one (of 3) older brothers (this ones a star trek fan) this reminded of an old phrase "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" (or my ego in this case :P) anyway point being, i dont take offence, or get frustrated for that matter (unless the gf is concerned......) and am quite happy with any/all revisions/rephrasing as long as all are happy with the finished article.

semi funny/semi stupid fluff text

smokers without a source of ignition should avoid using incendiary rounds as a lighter unless their "last rights" include cremation (srry beer inspired sence of humor at the mo) :(

LOL ;)

Edited by sneekysilk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm nearly ready to post progress thus far, but there is one issue I think should be addressed - it's quite difficult writing a CT about a weapon I've never seen before. Since X-Com's Heavy Cannon art seemed vague enough already, I'm not entirely sure about what I'm working with here. Does it have a rotary barrel? Does Xenocide's concept slide into rifle territory? Is there any concept art I could use as a reference?

I'm nearly ready to post progress thus far, but there is one issue I think should be addressed - it's quite difficult writing a CT about a weapon I've never seen before. Since X-Com's Heavy Cannon art seemed vague enough already, I'm not entirely sure about what I'm working with here. Does it have a rotary barrel? Does Xenocide's concept slide into rifle territory? Is there any concept art I could use as a reference?

Yes there is. wait. Here the model:

Edit2: woops, nope that were the Repeater Cannon slides... So in other words: nope. There are no concepts or models for the VAHC.

Edited by Mad

Hmm - well, at the very least, are there any working design concepts - ideas for the final weapon? Are we thinking sniper rifle, or what? Like I said, the original X-Com artwork was pretty vague. Sorry, but it's hard to describe the workings of a weapon that doesn't exist. ^_^ Edited by The Master Maniac

Finally! Whew. Very, very rough rough draft as follows:

"As one of the most recent additions to X-Corps’ arsenal, the newly-developed Mark II VOHC, or Variable-Ordnance Heavy Cannon, hasn’t had much in the way of field-testing. Despite the lack of a strong service record, however, the VOHC has already become a lasting favorite of X-Corps veterans due to its indelible combination of ruggedness, reliability, and raw firepower.

While the untrained might view the bulky VOHC as cumbersome and unwieldy, in skilled hands the weapon’s relatively compact profile and ease of maneuverability (aided by a “hip-clip” which secures the weapon to the user’s belt) allow it the versatility of a standard-issue assault rifle. Conceived as a multi-role infantry support weapon, the VOHC is a magazine-fed, gas-operated “cannon” - essentially a man-portable recoilless rifle. It began life as a product of the United States’ now-defunct NGFW (“Next-Generation Future Warrior”) program as a means of granting an individual soldier light anti-armor capability. Due to financial and economical constraints, the endeavor met little success, and once the GAFR (Global Armed Forces Reduction) Treaty was signed into action, the military ended up selling off many of its assets to third parties following decisive budget cuts. Thus the prototype VOHC fell into X-Corps’ hands.

Thanks to X-Corps’ pioneering advancements in firearms technology, it wasn’t long until the VOHC’s vision became a reality. Chambered for a proprietary .30-caliber High-Velocity Armor-Piercing round, the VOHC is capable of ablating light vehicle plating within its effective range of (NOTE: I’ll leave this to you developers to decide ;-) ) meters. With six rounds to a magazine and a smooth, practically recoil-free semi-auto action, the “Jackhammer,” as it has been affectionately nicknamed, is able to pound target vehicles into submission with the help of a computer-assisted, basic Friend-or-Foe enabled aiming system. Though the weapon utilizes a number of gas vents arranged along the length of the barrel in order to reduce recoil, the real trick is X-Corps’ External Velocity system: upon discharge and exiting the barrel, a coated, dissipating gas propellant ignites, driving the projectile to its maximum velocity, thereby minimizing internal harmonic destabilization. Even without recoil, the sheer weight of the unit requires a steady hand and nerves of steel if the operator wishes to engage the enemy with any measure of precision. While the HVAP round is quite literally capable of sawing infantry units in half, directing an accurate shot at such a small target is another matter entirely.

With this possible shortcoming in mind, X-Corps Advanced Weapons Development researchers created a modular feed system compatible with same-caliber secondary ammo types: high-explosive anti-personnel and wide-range incendiary shells. Drastically expanding the VOHC’s mission profile, not to mention earning it its namesake, the weapon’s multi-role capabilities make it just as effective against soft targets like infantry units as it is against armored vehicles.

The .30-caliber High-Explosive Anti-Personnel round is fired in the same manner as the HVAP. The only difference is the tip itself – functioning in much the same way as an anti-personnel grenade, the tip contains an explosive solution that explodes upon impact, inflicting casualties within its -meter kill radius. The effect is completely non-fragmentary, as any damage done is a direct result of the detonation itself. Approved as a non-collateral-damaging solution, the limited-range explosive does little to no structural damage. On its own, the HEAP shot is intended strictly as a means of disabling enemy infantry, and as such, is ineffective against armored units. But it has proven more than capable of fulfilling its role – especially when used against groups, or clusters of enemy soldiers. Unarmored targets within the kill radius aren’t likely to survive the explosion. (NOTE: so they think. *snicker*)

Another type of modular ammunition is the Wide-Range Incendiary shell. Again, it’s fired in much the same manner as the standard armor-piercing round, the only difference being its plastic tip. Upon striking an object, the plastic sheath shatters, and the immediate area surrounding the point of impact is blanketed with an experimental phosphorous solution that sticks to virtually anything, igniting shortly after air contact, and burning for roughly ten to twenty seconds until exhausting itself and becoming completely extinguished. Like the HEAP round, the WRI shell wasn’t designed for anti-armor purposes, but rather as a method to disable, or at the very least demoralize, enemy ground units. They’re also useful for cutting off the enemy’s advance, or even boxing them in, allowing for a more effective retreat. The thick, obscuring cloud of smoke is also perfect for cover. But, in itself, the incendiary shot is quite dangerous, if even more so than the high-explosive ordnance. Even though it doesn’t take long for the phosphoric cloud to burn itself out, there’s a definite danger of the blaze spreading to nearby structures. As such, the WRI has been deemed inappropriate for use in civilian-inhabited areas. Care should be taken not to endanger squad-mates by carelessly discharging WRI’s, as well.

With so many options available, the VOHC Mk II has transcended its original, intended role as a simple anti-armor tool, evolving into something more akin to a squad support weapon. Capable of engaging a wide range of targets, and filling roles from assault to distance support, the VOHC is a fine choice for an accomplished marksman. An operative with less-than-proficient shooting skills may find the cumbersome rifle difficult to deal with, and those who lack the endurance required to effectively maneuver the 22-pound weapon better stick with something lighter. Still, despite its initial unfriendliness, the VOHC is a vital component of any squad, granted it’s in the right hands."

Think it needs a blindfold? :P

Edited by The Master Maniac

you should look at the autocannon thread

also, i believe we should stick with milimeters, not caliber. since the autocannon is a 20mm cannon, i believe that the heavy cannon should be either 30mm or 40mm cannon. so yeah, two points.

oh yeah, what do we do about the IC? I went with WP, but i you didn't...

Good draft. =b only a quick read - some annotaions. Please keep in mind that there will be four sepearte CTs. (Weapon, AP, HE, IN). The blastradiusses are CTs decision. developers will implement them as we describe it. And we use the standards from UFO1. So if you need numbers: ask Zombie. :)

Finally! Whew. Very, very rough rough draft as follows:

"As one of the most recent additions to X-Corps’ arsenal, the newly-developed Mark II VOHC, or Variable-Ordnance Heavy Cannon, hasn’t had much in the way of field-testing. Despite the lack of a strong service record, however, the VOHC has already become a lasting favorite of X-Corps veterans due to its indelible combination of ruggedness, reliability, and raw firepower.

It's VAHC. There are no X-Corps veterans at the time. Maybe say something about weapon engeneers ors sth like that.

While the untrained might view the bulky VOHC as cumbersome and unwieldy, in skilled hands the weapon’s relatively compact profile and ease of maneuverability (aided by a “hip-clip” which securing the weapon to the user’s belt) allow it the versatility of a standard-issue assault rifle. Conceived as a multi-role infantry support weapon, the VOHC is a magazine-fed, gas-operated “cannon” - essentially a man-portable recoilless rifle.

The VAHC It began life as a product of the United States’ now-defunct NGFW (“Next-Generation Future Warrior”) program as a means of granting an individual soldier light anti-armor capability. Due to financial and economical constraints, the endeavor met little success, and once the GAFR (Global Armed Forces Reduction) Treaty was signed into action, the military ended up selling off many of its assets to third parties following decisive budget cuts. Thus the prototype VOHC fell into X-Corps’ hands.

always use the acronym second (i.e.: Global armed forces reduction (GAFR). Only mention an acronym if you plan on using it later in the text again.

Second: X-Corps buys the gun. so they don't own the plans.

Thanks to X-Corps’ pioneering advancements in firearms technology, it wasn’t long until the VOHC’s vision became  a reality. Chambered for a proprietary .30-caliber High-Velocity Armor-Piercing round, the VOHC is capable of ablating light vehicle plating within its effective range of (NOTE: I’ll leave this to you developers to decide ;-) ) meters. With six rounds to a magazine and a smooth, practically recoil-free semi-auto action, the “Jackhammer,” as it has been affectionately nicknamed, is able to pound target vehicles into submission with the help of a computer-assisted, basic Friend-or-Foe enabled aiming system. Though the weapon utilizes a number of gas vents arranged along the length of the barrel in order to reduce recoil, the real trick is X-Corps’ External Velocity system: upon discharge and exiting the barrel, a coated, dissipating gas propellant ignites, driving the projectile to its maximum velocity, thereby minimizing internal harmonic destabilization.  Even without recoil, the sheer weight of the unit requires a steady hand and nerves of steel if the operator wishes to engage the enemy with any measure of precision. While the HVAP round is quite literally capable of sawing infantry units in half, directing an accurate shot at such a small target is another matter entirely.

With this possible shortcoming in mind, X-Corps Advanced Weapons Development researchers created a modular feed system compatible with same-caliber secondary ammo types: high-explosive anti-personnel and wide-range incendiary shells. Drastically expanding the VOHC’s mission profile, not to mention earning it its namesake, the weapon’s multi-role capabilities make it just as effective against soft targets like infantry units as it is against armored vehicles.

The .30-caliber High-Explosive Anti-Personnel round is fired in the same manner as the HVAP. The only difference is the tip itself – functioning in much the same way as an anti-personnel grenade, the tip contains an explosive solution that explodes upon impact, inflicting casualties within its -meter kill radius. The effect is completely non-fragmentary, as any damage done is a direct result of the detonation itself. Approved as a non-collateral-damaging solution, the limited-range explosive does little to no structural damage. On its own, the HEAP shot is intended strictly as a means of disabling enemy infantry, and as such, is ineffective against armored units. But it has proven more than capable of fulfilling its role – especially when used against groups, or clusters of enemy soldiers. Unarmored targets within the kill radius aren’t likely to survive the explosion. (NOTE: so they think. *snicker*)

Another type of modular ammunition is the Wide-Range Incendiary shell. Again, it’s fired in much the same manner as the standard armor-piercing round, the only difference being its plastic tip. Upon striking an object, the plastic sheath shatters, and the immediate area surrounding the point of impact is blanketed with an experimental phosphorous solution that sticks to virtually anything, igniting shortly after air contact, and burning for roughly ten to twenty seconds until exhausting itself and becoming completely extinguished. Like the HEAP round, the WRI shell wasn’t designed for anti-armor purposes, but rather as a method to disable, or at the very least demoralize, enemy ground units. They’re also useful for cutting off the enemy’s advance, or even boxing them in, allowing for a more effective retreat. The thick, obscuring cloud of smoke is also perfect for cover. But, in itself, the incendiary shot is quite dangerous, if even more so than the high-explosive ordnance. Even though it doesn’t take long for the phosphoric cloud to burn itself out, there’s a definite danger of the blaze spreading to nearby structures. As such, the WRI has been deemed inappropriate for use in civilian-inhabited areas. Care should be taken not to endanger squad-mates by carelessly discharging WRI’s, as well.

there are some problems with the use on mars. I recommend you take a look at blehms solution for that.

With so many options available, the VOHC Mk II has transcended its original, intended role as a simple anti-armor tool, evolving into something more akin to a squad support weapon. Capable of engaging a wide range of targets, and filling roles from assault to distance support, the VOHC is a fine choice for an accomplished marksman. An operative with less-than-proficient shooting skills may find the cumbersome rifle difficult to deal with, and those who lack the endurance required to effectively maneuver the 22-pound weapon better stick with something lighter. Still, despite its initial unfriendliness, the VOHC is a vital component of any squad, granted it’s in the right hands."

Think it needs a blindfold?  :P

Could you elaborate (including direct comparison since both are starting weapons) differences to the Auto Cannon?

Sure thing. I'll have an update soon. :) Thanks!

Oh, one more thing: on the subject of the individual CTs for the ammo types - should I just leave out what I've written about them entirely, along with the default AP ammo? Might be a little difficult elaborating upon the weapon's capabilities without at least having a standard ammo type, though... ;)

Edited by The Master Maniac