XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Dawn City Beta Available

Hobbes

Well, it took a while because of the amount of work that it demanded but I am very pleased to present a playable version of a new terrain for UFO2000, Dawn City.

This is a beta version - there will be more tiles added to the future, some of the buildings are rather empty and work on the tiles hasn't been finished yet. Plus later the .map files will be converted to the new map file format.

Please use this thread to report any bugs with the tiles or design errors, or simply to give your opinion concerning its playability. If possible please include the map file that was generated (it is saved as cur_map on the UFO2000 main folder after a game is started) to make it easier to identify the map (there's 100 of them).

Oh, and have fun with it :beer:

Please delete the folder of the any previous version otherwise you might not see the updates.

Committed to SVN on revision 1084. It will be available when the next beta is released.

terrain_dawn_city_beta104.zip

snapshot_7.png

snapshot_8.png

snapshot_10.png

Edited by Hobbes

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it took a while because of the amount of work that it demanded but I am very pleased to present a playable version of a new terrain for UFO2000, Dawn City.

How cool is that??!! I had a short game with myself using that map, no errors or anything wrong yet.

*sees visions with that map and properly shaded tiles :O*

really nice map especially with the super tall buildings. heres a few trivial bugs/things i found.

return {

Name = "Dawn City Beta",

SizeX = 5, SizeY = 5,

Mapdata = {

{ 41, 27, 02, 46, -1 },

{ 49, 27, 20, 08, 15 },

{ 34, 27, 86, 35, 00 },

{ 06, 06, 13, 08, 18 },

{ 26, 43, 86, 41, 26 },

}

}

map 41: a house but floor #1 is solid grey(its a cool piece of cover but looks wierd when the whole house is dead), donno if its sposed to be this way but a basement or something would be cool

map 27: the ladder tile isnt continuous its like broken pieces of ladder

map 49: the x axis chainlink fences when killed turn into wooden fences that gotta be killed again to get thru

all tiles: the dark grey stairs r indestructable

also a nice idea is to raise the whole city up 1 floor and put a small network of sewer tunnels underneath, itd be cool for sneak attacks or whatever

Edited by Butt Crap

map 41: a house but floor #1 is solid grey(its a cool piece of cover but looks wierd when the whole house is dead), donno if its sposed to be this way but a basement or something would be cool

There might be a basement. There might be sewers added later. And much have I said :)

map 27: the ladder tile isnt continuous its like broken pieces of ladder

Graphics need a fix there.

map 49: the x axis chainlink fences when killed turn into wooden fences that gotta be killed again to get thru

Fixed. Thanks

all tiles: the dark grey stairs r indestructable

For now they will remain that way. They're not actually indestructible, it just takes a long of a bang to get rid of them

Edited by Hobbes

ok ill do this by map cuz im setting up cur_map so it goes in rows like 00, 01, 02, 03 etc., dont worry ill find the 2x2s and whatever and do them seperate

map 59: indestructable, trapping swimming pool: if ur on a floor above it ,and the floor is shot out from under u, u fall in the pool and cant move, also it cant be kilt, hence indestructable

map 61: swimming pool thing also, on the back balcony(toward the top of map) the ladders dont work

Edited by Butt Crap

ok ill do this by map cuz im setting up cur_map so it goes in rows like 00, 01, 02, 03 etc., dont worry ill find the 2x2s and whatever and do them seperate

Err, it might be a little hard sometimes to figure out the 20x20s because there can be situations where a 10x10 map is superimposed over them in order for the building next to it to have a west wall.

map 59: indestructable, trapping swimming pool: if ur on a floor above it ,and the floor is shot out from under u, u fall in the pool and cant move, also it cant be kilt, hence indestructable

Forgot about units falling down and not being able to move. I made the pool indestructable because it would look weird for water to become destroyed. That will have to be figured out, maybe the solution is not to have it indoors as to prevent units from falling into it.

map 61: swimming pool thing also, on the back balcony(toward the top of map) the ladders dont work

I've fixed those ladders already when you mentioned the graphics. Thanks anyway. :)

Sorry to take so long for the reply but I've been away. Thanks for the notice.

EDIT: the problem with the first pic is that the stair support has been blown away. It's more of an unfortunate consequence rather than a bug.

Edited by Hobbes

played a match on it this week and both me and my opponent both agreed it was a lot of fun, despite some painfully avoidable deaths on our own part.

No noticeable bugs to be found. Other than the already mentioned ladder graphics, i'd like to mention some of the stairs look weird, but that seems consistent with other tilesets as well.

One gripe we both had was the lack of cover or anything interesting in the large checkerboard floored glass room/buildings. Those buildings didn't see much action due to this. What are they suppose to be? Offices?

Everything looks amazing though, nice job. Get those cars on the roads to! <3 cover.

I'll throw the replay up in the appropriate thread.

Edited by Popek

Greetings,

Haven't checked the replay yet because I'm finishing the new release for Dawn but in answer to your commentaries:

One gripe we both had was the lack of cover or anything interesting in the large checkerboard floored glass room/buildings

Those offices will be filled with objects eventually, there hasn't been time yet to design the tiles.

Other than the already mentioned ladder graphics, i'd like to mention some of the stairs look weird, but that seems consistent with other tilesets as well.

The ladders need a redesign and there's a possible solution for the firestairs being designed.

Thanks!

Bug:

The glass empty office building with checkerboard floor, if you go around it, there is an invisible wall in the lower left corner (on all heights) that the soldier must go around, losing time points.

I can upload a picture to demonstrate if it's needed.

I'll wait until the ladders work to comment on them...

Otherwise, great and inspired work!

You can check out the replay of me vs popek on the tileset, playing a very tight Escape game (disregard me bitching about the damn ladders):

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?ac...ost&id=9222

Here's an image of the bug with the glass building:

http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot13of9.png

I also tried mapping, this is my first piece ever, a dog park, tiles taken from dawn city:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/255/dogparkzb6.th.png

How does it go, if someone else made the tileset, what are the rights etc, if I did some mapping with those tiles?

OK, got that bug fixed. Thanks again

Regarding Dawn terrain, what I and Nachtwolf have discussed is that the tiles/graphics will be available for anyone to use on their own terrains. Since they will be a part of distributive it will simply be a matter of configuring the terrain on its .lua file to use the dawnmasterimage.png file.

I noticed one can shoot through the windows in upper floors of the tall hotel. It is misleading, since the windows have blue tinted glass? I shot with pistol and grenade launcher. Wouldn't it be more realistic to make the tiles easily breakable, like real windows are? (Laser though goes through glass of course but that's an engine problem then...)

Also, I think I found a bug with the warehouse with an east pointing exit, it seems one can see through the closed door? I'll post a shot as I get home. (I was greatly dismayed as one of Popek's henchmen shot a reaction fusion bomb my way because of that. )

I noticed one can shoot through the windows in upper floors of the tall hotel. It is misleading, since the windows have blue tinted glass? I shot with pistol and grenade launcher. Wouldn't it be more realistic to make the tiles easily breakable, like real windows are? (Laser though goes through glass of course but that's an engine problem then...)

Bullets go through glass too... I believe that's the reasoning behind why it works the way it does. The engine doesn't currently support objects that break while letting a projectile go through, so this is probably the best way to handle it right now too.

Also, I think I found a bug with the warehouse with an east pointing exit, it seems one can see through the closed door? I'll post a shot as I get home.

Just fixed it. Thanks

Like nappes said, it's an engine characteristic but I also made an mistake there. Usually the Line Of Fire (LOF) settings for windowed walls have those kind of settings, i.e., there's open spaces to fire through without hitting the walls.

The problem here is the glass, on the existing terrains there's no glass on windows, thus it does not look that weird to fire through them since they seem open. But it really does not make sense to fire through glass without breaking it and since the tile limit problem has been fixed it is a matter of adding a few extra tiles: when the shot hits a window, the glass breaks and the window becomes clear for LOF. This should make things more realistic but it will only be added at the end, because of the extra tiles required.

Edited by Hobbes

Ok.

Noticed a small bug in tonight's game, the white house and brick warehouse don't join up nicely when the house is on the east side.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7047/snapshot26ar0.th.png

The warehouse door pointing north was see-thru also. (Though I imagine you probably fixed that already.)

Thanks very much for the first one. I had completely forgotten that I needed to make connection maps for those specific warehouses.

I've got the warehouse doors fixed now.

Man, this tileset rocks.

Are you going to add cubicles to the empty office buildings? That'd be cool. There are not that many realistic office spaces in ufo currently. The cubicle walls could have quite low health. I imagine the desks with all the stuff on them would be hard to draw though.

I find it unbalancing in normal deathmatch if the hotel (if there is one) is on the side of the map, it should be at equal distance from both starting locations to make it more even. Not necessarily and not exactly, but you have to generate quite many maps to get such a version. Just a very minor point.

Man, this tileset rocks.

Are you going to add cubicles to the empty office buildings? That'd be cool. There are not that many realistic office spaces in ufo currently. The cubicle walls could have quite low health. I imagine the desks with all the stuff on them would be hard to draw though.

I find it unbalancing in normal deathmatch if the hotel (if there is one) is on the side of the map, it should be at equal distance from both starting locations to make it more even. Not necessarily and not exactly, but you have to generate quite many maps to get such a version. Just a very minor point.

buz, thats because the hotel takes up 30 tiles across, and we play 6x6 games. making it actually not possible to land directly in the middle. Also I don't think it offers as much advantage as you think. We'll put 2 of them on your side next time and I'll still woop ya LOL

Version 1.02 of Dawn City about to be released later today or tomorrow. List of changes:

- Several bugs fixed (thanks to bamb, Exo2000, Popek, Butt Crap, John Faust for reporting them).

- The remaining residential buildings (the light blue walled with green windows) had furniture added.

To do:

- Design the tiles for the office buildings (bamb, I liked your suggestion of having cubicles added - let's see if Nachtwolf or someone designs graphics for them).

- Minor graphic fix for the fire stairs.

- A solution for the falling down and getting stuck on the pool problem.

- Add sewers (way, way to the future when all the rest gets done)

- Ladder/Blue sliding doors redesign

- Add extra tiles so that the windows become 'broken' when hit by gunfire, instead of turning right away into a destroyed wall

I thought about how the hotel would determine combat because of the natural tendency of players to occupy the bigger buildings. However, that same tendency can be used by a smart player. Since the hotel is so big and tall it also makes a very nice and easy target for explosive ammunition...plus currently the walls offer zero protection from explosions...

I thought about how the hotel would determine combat because of the natural tendency of players to occupy the bigger buildings. However, that same tendency can be used by a smart player. Since the hotel is so big and tall it also makes a very nice and easy target for explosive ammunition...plus currently the walls offer zero protection from explosions...

I don't see much use of explosives myself, although I haven't played much, and playing a lot of Apoc means I'm cautious about causing terrain damage. :P

But yes, the Hotel is a very large target and you really can't miss it. Unless your aim sucks. :D

The beta version 101 is now ready.

Ah, note to everyone downloading it, RENAME THE FILE TO .RAR after download and unrar it, it doesn't open in winzip. (Why did you rename it to .zip???)

Edited by bamb

Fixed, thanks.

I'm remaking the office buildings, no furniture yet but I've decided to add 2 level glass windows.

I've playtested the terrain online for the first time and it was a great game but it crashed most likely because my computer was running out of virtual memory (I got a warning during the game). Has anyone has had this virtual memory problem also?

i played this map for the first time yesterday with a player named Hobbes. The game mysteriously started using a huge chunk of my Ram (in excess of 80% according to performance monitor). Hobbe's copy died just as my zombies were about to fall over and explode so i quit myself. The system Lagged for a good 5 minuets befor i could use it properly again.

This only happes in the latest version but im not sure if its the game, weaponset, map or combination.

It constantly reserves memory, you shouldn't run it until right before playing. About 50% of the time, long games crash for me before the end, (I'm a slow player!), and I have to go back and press f3 to load the game again to continue. (That works.) Often I get a "out of virtual memory" announcement at halfway.

If only someone would make available the library package, people could compile the game and have a look at the problem.

How much Virtual Memory are you all using, btw? I have my comp set to use 2gb of Virtual Memory (because I have lots of HD space) and still haven't noticed any issues, even when leaving UFO2k hanging on the main menu for 10-20 minutes before playing a game with the latest build.

You can check on the Control Panel by going to System, then System Properties, Advanced Tab, "Performance" button, Advanced Tab, and it'll show Virtual Memory at the bottom.

How much Virtual Memory are you all using, btw? I have my comp set to use 2gb of Virtual Memory (because I have lots of HD space) and still haven't noticed any issues, even when leaving UFO2k hanging on the main menu for 10-20 minutes before playing a game with the latest build.

You can check on the Control Panel by going to System, then System Properties, Advanced Tab, "Performance" button, Advanced Tab, and it'll show Virtual Memory at the bottom.

I have a few gigs. The game clearly absolutely cannot require that. Original x-com worked with 4 megs of memory. The maps are 200 kB and replays 100 kB.

10-20 minutes is nothing. It can be a few hours even for a good tense game, 6x6 map. (The ui is so unresponsive, it's also quite slow to play because of that.)

Id post a bug report but the server is still down. One should not need to change ones virtual memory for a game the size of Ufo2k. This game by rights shouldn't even need a fraction of the memory it requires during extended game play.

I'm all for having people trawl through the code and libraries and things but the men to talk to about that stuff are Serge or Nachtwolf; our esteemed programmers.