XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Sonic Sub Weapon

SD77

Do you HAVE to reasearch every single sonic weapon including clip before you can get the sonic sub weapon?

I started the game again after finishing it, but seems I can't research it. Perhaps because I did not research sonic pistol clip, and sold them all. Now it's too far in the game to see the pistols anymore, so I guess I'm screwed??

You know, I hadn't thought of it that way ever before, but yes it sounds like you're most definitely screwed unless you can find a sample.

Unlike UFO where you could go with the rifle or cannon and clip pair, TFTD forces you to take the whole set.

There is something to be said about starting all your projects with 0 scientists the moment they appear on the research list before you go selling any of the stuff off.

- NKF

From the bit of sleuthing that zaimoni did in the subject of researching, researching an alien weapon (especially the weak ones) will have the result of forcing the aliens to use a different (and more powerful) weapon in the line up.

Alien loadouts have three different weapon sets to use. In the case where none of the weapons in the set are researched, the aliens will carry them all (according to some unknown distribution function). However, once a weapon in the loadout is researched, the weapon set is ignored and the alien is forced to use a different setup. So I would say that yes, you are probably going to be screwed since all the weapons and clips are required in the Sonic line of research. Researching the Sonic Pistol will knock the weapon (and by association, the clip) out of the lineup making it impossible to continue in that line of research and giving you an unfortunate dead end if you sold all the clips. :(

In the first game, if you happened to catch a Small Scout on the ground, the alien soldier loadout had a Plasma Pistol Clip included in the Plasma Rifle kit. There is no such element in TFTD (from what I can tell so far) so you are probably going to have to start the game over or get an editor to add a Sonic Pistol Clip to your base stores to continue on. ^_^

--------------------

Right, so I had a chance to take a closer look at TFTD's loadouts and indeed the only place where you will find a Sonic Pistol Clip is in the Sonic Pistol kits. There aren't any intentional (or unintentional) cross-referenced pistol clips floating around like in EU. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie
More info about loadouts

From the bit of sleuthing that zaimoni did in the subject of researching, researching an alien weapon (especially the weak ones) will have the result of forcing the aliens to use a different (and more powerful) weapon in the line up.

Alien loadouts have three different weapon sets to use. In the case where none of the weapons in the set are researched, the aliens will carry them all (according to some unknown distribution function). However, once a weapon in the loadout is researched, the weapon set is ignored and the alien is forced to use a different setup. So I would say that yes, you are probably going to be screwed since all the weapons and clips are required in the Sonic line of research. Researching the Sonic Pistol will knock the weapon (and by association, the clip) out of the lineup making it impossible to continue in that line of research and giving you an unfortunate dead end if you sold all the clips. :(

In the first game, if you happened to catch a Small Scout on the ground, the alien soldier loadout had a Plasma Pistol Clip included in the Plasma Rifle kit. There is no such element in TFTD (from what I can tell so far) so you are probably going to have to start the game over or get an editor to add a Sonic Pistol Clip to your base stores to continue on. ^_^

Is this for TFTD only? Because I remember getting plasma pistols/rifles from missions well after researching them in EU. I try and forget TFTD exists. <_<

Is this for TFTD only? Because I remember getting plasma pistols/rifles from missions well after researching them in EU. I try and forget TFTD exists. <_>

It should be for both versions of the game, assuming that all my facts are straight. Not sure about the heavier weapon kits though. I'm pretty sure I've seen Plasma Rifles too. But I don't see Plasma Pistols anymore once I research a heavier plasma-based weapon. But hold on, let me run a few more tests... :laundry: :wink1:

- Zombie