XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Any Way To Get Rid Of Live Aliens?

wakiki

Reapers :chickenrun: , apparently due to their high health, seem to drop stunned alot. Last game I had like four Reaper Terrorists :chickenrun: in my Alien Containment. Is there any way to get rid of them without having to research "Reaper Terrorist :chickenrun: " four times?

*Note: Chickens added for extreme pointlessness, and because the chickens from Zelda are so totally awesome, thus destroying said pointlessness.

Edited by wakiki

Short of using a game editor, you're stuck and must research each and every one of them. 4 Reapers aren't as bad as 10 soldiers. Trust me. ;)

If you keep getting stunned Reapers, consider applying some extreme measures to solve this problem. Blow up the reaper corpses.

- NKF

Cant you transfer them to a base that has no containment?

Beside IIRC there is bug in the game where it NEVER tells you your containment is full anyway. I've had more than capacity at any rate.

You can transfer them to another base with alien containment and when they are being transported you dismatle destiantion base's alien containment.

EDIT. Destination base alien containment must be empty. Never tried this trick, i always have south america & affrica Interceptor/Storage bases with 1 alien containment each, plus 1 per polar interceptor/troops base, plus 1 in europe scientific/manufacturing/interceptor headquarters. Yeap, plenty of room :)

Edited by Kirill

Well, building an extra containment and dismantling it is alot of trouble, but I guess it's' better than wasting research. I'll try and blow them up the bodies with grenades next time.

Also Stewart, I don't think you can transfer them to a base with no containment. I would assume that it would just tell you that there's no room for them, and to build a containment. I'll try it out though.

A new question: If I'm not paying close attention and miss / forget whether the Reaper made the death noise or not, is there any way to check and see whether they are dead or stunned? (IIRC, size four corpses / bodies don't show up in the inventory.)

Edited by wakiki

Not really.

You can normally tell whether it's stunned by picking up the body of the alien you want to inspect. Unfortunately reaper corpses (and most large units and civilians) don't have a 'physical' item that can be picked up.

One good method of determining whether or not they are stunned is to listen for the death scream when they fall. They don't scream when they are stunned. If all else fails, just detonate an explosive near the corpse. If it screams, it was stunned. (but it'll be dead now) :)

It might be an idea to bring along an autocannon with a few belts of HE shells just for this task. It doesn't have to be a very powerful explosive, as anything unconcious will die instantly from an explosive attack no matter how healthy or how much armour they are wearing. A stunned superhuman level Ethereal Commander for example would die instantly from a standard grenade.

---

Does anyone what happens to aliens in containment if the containment module is obliterated in a base defence mission?

I seem to recall that all the aliens in there just vanish (for those that haven't had their project 'started'). I know you get to keep equipment, personnel and ships if their storage space is lost (And research/manufacturing projects stop if there's no work room). I'm pretty sure that the contained aliens are simply wiped out.

Would be a great solution if you end up with a horde of unnecessary soldiers.

Having played for a while, I've summarised all the necessary aliens you'll need to win the game. There's three, actually. One random alien (preferably a navigator for the decoder), one leader or commander (sectoid or ethereal for psi) and one commander (any). The rest are just filler, so it won't really matter if your containment is filled up once you've obtained the three (or four) key aliens to winning the game.

I generally just keep the rest of the aliens to let the scientists fill in their time once they've done all the important research.

Saves the bother of pulling your hair out after stunning one too many soldiers! (Stun bombs are great anti 'large' terror unit weapons, after all)

- NKF

Edited by NKF

NKF:

From my limited tests on base assaults, if the alien containment module is obliterated, the aliens contained within that structure go too. I tried putting some of my scientists to research those aliens, but nothing showed up on the project list. I also tried to transfer them to another base, but the aliens were not listed there either.

If you do not have an alien containment module built at the destination base, you cannot transfer aliens there. It's just that simple.

In the end though, it doesn't really matter if you have 4 extra Reapers to research. Just ignore them. If you really need the room at your base, transfer the duplicate aliens to another base with alien containment. Before they get there, dismantle it and problem solved. It's a lot easier than risking a base defense mission to nuke the AC module to smithereens, that's for sure. :D

Thanks for your responses so far, guys :) I've just thought of another question.

If I stun a Sectoid, look at its body, and discover that it's something I don't want (like a soldier) can I just shoot the body on the ground to kill it? Or do I have to revive it with a Medkit then shoot it?

If you guys don't know, I'll go test it out. But then, everyone here seems to know everything :P

Edited by wakiki

You cannot shoot an unconscious Sectoid to kill it. To get rid of it, you have a couple of options to consider:

1) Throw a grenade on top of the stunned alien. That will always kill it.

2) Revive the alien with a Medi-kit, then shoot the alien till it's dead.

You can also try to wait until the alien re-awakens, but that takes time.

Note: 2x2 aliens cannot be revived with a medi-kit, or waiting. If you want these units dead, a grenade will do the trick.

Yes and no. Blaster bomb explodes only when it hits something solid. Corpses and unconscious units lie on the ground, and are not solid in terms of the game. You can still hit anything solid nearby: floor (can't do it on lowest level), wall, tree, piece of furniture, another alien, maybe even civilian or soldier if you really want.

If i use a BB will it do the same effect?

Anything explosive, from grenades to HE shells will always kill an unconscious alien on the ground. It doesn't matter what the strength of the blast is, as the alien is unable to "shield" itself from the explosion.

Blaster Bombs will detonate upon hitting the ground (level 0). You have to send it down on an angle from above, but it works. Actually, this is a very effective way to nuke a clump of aliens. MC a herd of aliens, group them around an empty tile, then send in a Blaster Bomb at the empty tile. Sure, you can have an alien in the center too, and just use it as your final waypoint, but it is much more sinister for the aliens watching the bomb descend right before them! :)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure you can get rid of them. I accidentally lost the means to get HWD tech this way, hehe.

Open research on alien in containment, start the project, then open the project and reduce the number of scientists to 0. The project wil disappear and so will the alien in containment

Just tested that theory, and unfortunately it didn't seem to work. For me at least. If you can replicate it, some hints on each step would be much appreciated.

Projects don't normally disappear from the list after they've been started, regardless of the number of scientists allocated.

- NKF

And aliens normally do not disappear from containment if they haven't been researched either. ;)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

The Amiga version certainly has a few noticeable differences. I just need one or two other separate confirmations on the Amiga version, then that information is going to go straight into the wiki that is!

- NKF