XCOMUFO & Xenocide

User Made Maps

DaiShiva

Guess that's something that's out of my league too :pink:
And I really doubt the editor is easy enough for me to use :) Edited by Nyyperoid

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still can't figure out how to EDIT the maps. i've figured out all about the windows, the viewing, the level changing, etc, but how do you actually place your own tiles and stuff?!?

There are some user made maps used in UFO2000, all of them are created using DaiShiva's map editor (many thanks to him for a great tool).

You can download UFO2000 and find modified maps in 'newmaps' subdirectory, the descriptions of tilesets used in these maps are in 'init-scripts/user-maps.lua'

By the way, you can contribute your own maps to UFO2000 :)

[quote name='stewart' date='Feb 7 2004, 07:51 PM']How 'bout a link?[/quote]
UFO2000 homepage is here:
[url="http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net"]http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net[/url]
Direct link to the latest win32-version at this moment is here:
[url="http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.4.0.334.zip"]http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.4.0.334.zip[/url]

I have no screenshots at this moment, but they can be easily made from the game by pressing F12 key.

The list of new terrains is here: "Warehouse", "Xbase+" and "Modified City" by JFarceur, "Industrial" by Bagirov and "Airfield" by Twilight Owl.

Some of the new maps require both X-COM and TFTD copied to XCOM and TFTD subdirectories of UFO2000 respectively. In order to use only new terrains, it is possible to temporarily remove all the other *.MAP files (from original X-COM and TFTD directories used by the game).

• 4 weeks later...
Hello! I heard my name and decided to join the conversation. The program is actually not very difficult to use, but the game limit of 255 different tiles reduces sometime our... creativity. So that's why it is sometimes difficult to put ships in the hangar (1) because the game would not take it (2) because the game hangar is 2 stories high and a ship is 3-4... so that's another annoying limit.

In ufo2000, adding maps is fun, but you have to make your maps so that they can always fit together (because of the random way of making the maps). My best experiment up to date was the warehouse maps. I also tried a one 10x10 file map that is put everywhere. Very funny result.

Completing the Xcom bases to 4 levels high was somewhat fun too. let's talk about invading a base now! :D

You may see here a sample of each things, plus the prison i made for the city.

That program is very professional and relatively easy to use (I don't know how I could do better.)

Have fun to look at that. Edited by JFarceur

I like the base with "outside" stuff in levels 3 and 4 idea do you have more images of those and did you do the same for alien facilities?

I have plenty of images of them, though I did not finish to copy/paste all the stuff inside the bases (at least they are functionnal).

I did not do the alien bases yet, and I don't think I'll do it soon. If you really want it, try and do it with the Mars Planet tileset.... At least, I don't think I'll do it before the elevators are implemented in ufo2000 , because it makes the alien base pretty useless now.

Hmm... I always thought that those long legs that stick out of the base, are for USOs to dock. It'd be neat to see a small USO docked at one of those. Edited by Robo Dojo 58

[quote name='Robo Dojo 58' date='Mar 10 2004, 01:27 PM']Hmm... I always thought that those long legs that stick out of the base, are for USOs to dock. It'd be neat to see a small USO docked at one of those.[/quote]
yeah, it shouldn't be hard with the copy-paste functions ;)

WE're not having too much fun, we just got some time to spare... hehehehe

It's actually pretty fun to create. I thought about creating a castle... but I don't have any idea about how to do it. I though I could do it on a "standard" 50x50 map, but it's impossible for now, because there are no scroll bars.

Instead, I'm making those 1 file maps for ufo2000, really funny. Hey deathskull, what about making a little contest ? :argue: There are not much people that create maps, maybe we could get them here?

I went and made my self a terrain. 10 Maps, 6 10x10's and 4 20x20's. They're a combination of Farm land (with some urban furniture) and The Lightning (the X-com UFO). There's a glitch that allows you to see through the sides of the ufo's though, I didn't notice 'till I had finished them. <_< But they're still fun. I've also included a .dat that uses each tile, and aranges them so they kinda fit together. Aditionally, I've included the code to add to your usermaps.lua that'l allow you to actually play these.

I also came up with a fun theme to play as. "Aliens VS. Hicks" I call it. Basically Sectiods with only probesticks (er.. Stun Rods) against Unarmoured humans with only Bullet weapons. It's not as onesided as you might think, as long as you follow some basic rules:
1:Aliens cannot use any guns they pick up, but can hoard them however they like. This incourages humans to take more than one weapon and hide them around the battle field so if they get back up, they can keep fighting.
2:Humans cannot climb stairs only to shoot them out. Since aliens are using close combat weapons, they have to be able to reach you. Aliens cannot kill stairs only to force some one off a higher floor.
3a:as human, you can have many pistols/ammo as you please, but only a limited amount of rifles (I usually say just 1). (Rifles have Autoshot, which does help a bunch)
3b:For every rifle the hicks have, an alien can HOLD 1 PRIMED (for 0) alien grenade. This allows them to go boom when they die. They must prime it at the start of battle, and maynot throw/drop it. Plus if you die (as opposed to getting stunned) you don't get back up.:devillaugh:
This set works well in tight spaces (or on my terrain) and I find is just plain fun. the aliens must try to be stealthy, while the humans are pretty much forced to cower. Stun rods have never failed to take downa guy in 1 shot (well, for me anyway), but the aliens usually take more than 1 hit.

Question: For the maps like the Xbase+ ones where you can start on floors besides the bottom (for example if you click on the grass), how is this done? The game does not simply place you the lowest place you can stand (that you click on when placing troops), or when you say click on a bed in the Urban maps, it would put you on the roof (it instead simply doesn't allow you to place a guy on squares ocupied by furniture. Is it simply dirt that puts you above it, or is there something else to know?

Oh, I also updated my LevelEditor (which was the main reason I made these maps in the first place) It now allows you to edit other terrains, but it helps if you know a little about them. I posted it in my topic over at: [url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3867"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3867[/url]

[quote]Question: For the maps like the Xbase+ ones where you can start on floors besides the bottom (for example if you click on the grass), how is this done? The game does not simply place you the lowest place you can stand (that you click on when placing troops), or when you say click on a bed in the Urban maps, it would put you on the roof (it instead simply doesn't allow you to place a guy on squares ocupied by furniture. Is it simply dirt that puts you above it, or is there something else to know?[/quote]

well, I think the game considers the grass like stairs... which make the whole thing really interesting when you place your soldiers OUTSIDE and the enemy INSIDE the base.

that's kinda a glitch I took advantage of. Sadly, it doesnt work with the MARS walls, but do work with the mountain ones.

--------------------

On another subject, what are we competing on ? We could start making the best ... hum... thing... ever.... ever made?

:aliencool: Alien ship (i think there was one),
:aliencool: city building (prison),
:aliencool: xcom ship (with one of the tileset, no mix),
:aliencool: ....err....
:aliencool: the best 1 file map ever for ufo2000 (like the weird mountain maze),
:aliencool: the best improvement to any original maps (your big tftd alien base, my xbase+),
:aliencool: the tallest and coolest skyscraper (none existing)
:aliencool: best new mapset (airfield, industrial, warehouse.... something else maybe)
:aliencool: any great idea?

let's start this tournament in another thread as Map Contest # 1 as sonne as we have an idea

JF :aliencool: Edited by JFarceur

Excellent, I was actually asking because I planned on making a mounain base... ^_^
Thanks for the info. :beer:

The other unmentioned map terrain with similar 'walls' would be the desert, but whatever.

----
And as for the contest, Why not categories?
:aliencool: Best Modified Terrain
:aliencool: Best New Terrain (defined as new by mixing elements from other terrains)
:aliencool: Best Map (tile) (maybe best 10x10, and best 20x20)
:aliencool: Best Map (full) (like made by my editor...)
:aliencool: Best Editor....(ok there's really no contest on this one...)

...If it hadn't been for that alien head in your post I wouldn't have noticed the show all at the bottom of the clickable smilies... :uzzi: :plasma: